PDA

View Full Version : USMC to use M27 as DMR rifle

chuckman
05-08-17, 07:48
Marines to use the new M27 in DMR role.....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/11/m27-dm-role-front-sights-ditched-and-other-marine-corps-news/

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/02/18/west-coast-marines-complete-first-m27-designated-marksman-course/80568208/

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/04/usmc-m27-update-designated-marksman-role-added/

ABNAK
05-08-17, 18:41
(okay, let's try this again.....)

I spec'd out an M27 clone, using an MR556 upper with the barrel re-profiled and melonited, the actual ACOG-SDO, Geissele HK trigger, HK stock and grip, and the extended rail. It would have cost well over $6,000. Nope, can't do it.

Hell, the optic alone is like $2300 or thereabouts!

All that said, I'd really like to do a clone someday. There is a reason the USMC likes it, and having owned a 416 upper on an MR556 lower I can see why. Could kick myself for selling it! Rail system needs to be lighter though.

EDIT: as for accuracy, it's barrel is like 0.8" under the handguards (SOCOM is about 0.75, so close). That stiff barrel made with HK's magic unicorn dust no doubt shoots pretty tight. I can see it in the DMR role, especially since 16" will squeeze out a little more velocity than the 14.5".

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-08-17, 20:42
I read the article quickly this morning, but isn't the limiting factor now the ammo? No special ammo, hard to get special results, but I guess still good enough?

daniel87
05-08-17, 22:47
Its more intresting that they went 3-9 vs 1-8 or even 2.5-12 or somthing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

C-grunt
05-09-17, 00:07
I believe there was a Leupold 3x9 used on the Mk12 at some point. Probably have a bunch in the inventory.

daniel87
05-09-17, 07:08
That would make sense. Cheap.

chuckman
05-09-17, 07:09
I believe there was a Leupold 3x9 used on the Mk12 at some point. Probably have a bunch in the inventory.

That is the case. Refurbing and recycling older optics.

Scrubber3
05-09-17, 07:34
The first 2 articles are over a year old.. Good news nonetheless. Just aged is all.

chuckman
05-09-17, 07:38
The first 2 articles are over a year old.. Good news nonetheless. Just aged is all.

Yeah, it 'just' showed up on Real Clear Defense, which usually has recent news. Every now and then an older article sneaks in.

TAZ
05-09-17, 15:09
Lol. So they bring in the M27 as a DMR then just distribute wide to all infantry then add the CSASS as the new DMR rifle cause what's the point of having a DMR that has the same range as a regular guy. As long as our guys are getting the best tools to put bad guys down, I'm not sure I care about the circularity of the path.

chuckman
05-09-17, 15:15
Lol. So they bring in the M27 as a DMR then just distribute wide to all infantry then add the CSASS as the new DMR rifle cause what's the point of having a DMR that has the same range as a regular guy. As long as our guys are getting the best tools to put bad guys down, I'm not sure I care about the circularity of the path.

I think the M27 takes the role of the SAM-R. To me it's same-same, but I could be wrong. I agree, get the best tools out there.

daniel87
05-09-17, 21:42
I think the M27 takes the role of the SAM-R. To me it's same-same, but I could be wrong. I agree, get the best tools out there.
Agreed. Im sure this is the logic needed to get aproval.

Im happy the core is bringing the rifleman and dmr to this century.
Now every rifleman can minimize the optic to 3 and raise the mag to 9 when they need to spot or need precision.

Something you cant do with a 3.5 or 4x accog. I wonder what the new rifle weight is now compared to before.

Im just happy they wre trying with what they have.

In 5 years they will probly try for the 308 ar 10... cause merica needs ooomph. U know cause bigger bullet and such :)

I swear its the same rifle sir... what are you saying mine is bigger than yours... you sir....

Firefly
05-09-17, 23:15
You know.....I feel positive about this. Never in the Marines but from outside looking in:

You have everybody using the same gun that is capable of different things. The M27/MR556 barrel is capable out the box of very respectable accuracy.

Assaulters/Grenadiers use RDS, maybe full auto guys use fixed optic, TL gets 1-4/1-6, and DMRs get a NF NXS of some kind. Fundamentally everyone has the same gun and if need be always have base irons. I'd say use the Geissele rail and its worth the investment instead of having custom uppers et al.

Like the SOPMOD URG, I saw on SSD. MLOK 13", 14.5 mid length, etc.

Maybe this is a new trend to getting legit carbines without politics and "mil spec" holding people down.

A lot can be done with a really good 5.56.

7.62 is nice but....I kinda like it that everyone has the same gun and is making the most without extra crap. IAR guys IAR. Assaulters assault. Scouts scout. DMRs DMR.

JMHO