PDA

View Full Version : For the Vltor CASV owners: Optics choices?

Diamondback
05-09-17, 15:11
I did a search already looking for optics and mounts to fit the CASV handguard with its ~1/2" riser, and have been distilling things into some notes.

So far the options I've seen are:
--Aimpoint CompM4 on Larue LT659 mount (absolute co-witness?)
--Aimpoint CompM4 on factory mount (lower 1/3)
--Aimpoint ACO on Larue LT152
--Aimpoint PRO on Larue LT152
--Aimpoint T1 or H1 on American Defense T1-CAS-V
--Trijicon RMR on American Defense Micro
--Vortex SPARC (original)
--did anyone ever figure out mounting an ACOG for co-witness?

In principle, I usually prefer big "window" holosights with room for extended data as demonstrated by the abandoned EOHack project, but those don't have co-witness on the CASV which negates the entire point of selecting a notched handguard and FSB upper, and that big "window" stands out a ways creating both additional "bag bulge potential"/space footprint and greater potential for damage, two very undesirable traits in a discreet-carry iron like a Get-Home Bag PDW, which leaves me with red-dot "tubes."

My question to all you fellow CASV owners is, what did YOU choose to rack-up and why? Right now as a first gut-reaction I'm thinking an ACO or PRO or maybe one of the Micros--with a 10" barrel on a pistol, it's not like I'm building a DMR and close-range speed of target acquisition is more important for my purposes than long-distance precision, and for me lower-profile mounting and "form factor" are as noted an important consideration.

Firefly
05-09-17, 16:43
I had one. It is like an ARMS SIR rail only not as retarded.

Co Witness isnt happening on the standard one. If you used an ACOG it isnt so bad.

I sold mine and went to a LaRue which is likewise gone. Right now it is URX or a Geissele or something more flatter.

CASV wasn't "bad", just bleeding edge of 2004. Fair for its day but meh. I had a AA Eotech.

I will say this, they make your gun look like a pulse rifle

Harrier
05-09-17, 20:30
I had one on a 9" upper with the FOG system a couple of years ago. I used an RMR with the American Defense mount and that worked well for me—the little bit of added height over the low factory RMR mount helped. I really liked the low weight of the sight and mount—it was perfect for a short rifle. I did not see how the folding sights co-witnessed, though. It was a bit of an oddball rifle but I sort of miss it.

http://i.imgur.com/qECPoYD.jpg