PDA

View Full Version : Maryland legal ar15 help

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-09-17, 18:19
So I got a buddy that's in my unit and he's getting out next year and going to school back home in Maryland. So I read that it has to be a pistol or H-Bar. It also says no folding stock, can't accept a grenade launcher, and flash suppressor but it says can't have 2 of them or at least that's how I interpreted. I googled MD legal ar's and there are rifles that have collapsible stocks and flash hiders like the stag 3 gun rifle and some other ones. If anyone with more knowledge could chime in I'd appreciate it before we start his build.

blake6551
05-09-17, 20:14
As long as the barrel is marked HBAR you can have a standard AR with collapsible stock and flash hider. If you want a folding stock like a LAW tactical, you'd need to install a muzzle brake.

Colt 6721s are sold locally as well as all kinds of different brands with barrels stamped HBAR by local dealers. HBARs are cash and carry as well, no waiting period. SBRs are immune from all this, so that's the route I would recommend.

Rayrevolver
05-09-17, 20:30
WARNING: I live here and when I try to understand the rules I get more confused. Read on with caution.

Easy answer: Tell him to live in VA and drive to MD.

Read these and be prepared to be utterly confused:

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158200

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/3qpsxl/how_to_get_an_ar15_in_maryland/

That first link from MSP has a nice little choose your own adventure. And then a list of banned vs not-banned. In general, if it has 100% parts interchangeability with a "Colt AR-15" AND is NOT an "HBAR", its probably illegal, depending on how you feel that morning and if your FFL/Shop gives a crap. Look at the list of legal guns: 308 anything, HK416s, piston guns like LWRC. POF piston gun is illegal...why I dunno. I watched someone walk in and buy a Sig 716, walk out. All good.

ITS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!

Build a pistol with a brace, SBR (>29" OAL), piston gun maybe, or KAC SR-15 and you are golden-ish. To be honest, I have seen what looked like bog standard M4 profile barreled, flash hider, grenade launcher capable carbines walk out the door.

Good luck.

EDIT: Call Engage Armament, ask them about MD legal AR rifles they sell, or just what the rules are.

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-09-17, 20:45
I appreicate the responses guys, we're thinking about rolling with a Faxon barrel, somewhere I read that heavy profile .750 gas block seat you'd be good but these laws are so convoluted. Muzzle device wise I'm telling him to get the surefire warcomp, he's mad since regiment is getting those now that he's gone and he wants something to keep the muzzle flat. He agrees that once he's done with school he wants to get away from maryland and live in NoVa since the laws aren't bad there yet....

tehpwnag3
05-10-17, 12:45
Well, technically, .750" gas block diameter doesn't automatically construed HBAR designation, so be careful using that as your only guide. That's just the standard GB profile.

blake6551
05-10-17, 19:33
Regardless of if it makes sense, current Maryland State Police interpretation is the barrel must be marked HBAR or advertised for sale as a Heavy Barrel/HBAR. Simple as that.

There is no actual definition of what that profile is, so just make sure its marked or sold that way. There is a letter from them floating around online confirming this.

intense
05-10-17, 19:43
How about Maryland is now another state I've crossed off my list of places to live when I escape NJ. North Carolina is looking better and better.

Kdubya
05-10-17, 21:00
I was pretty much obligated to make a trip to MD for a family wedding. Spent a few hours there. That was more than enough time to avoid traveling there ever again; let alone live there. I have a CHL in my home state, and scoured their laws to find a way to bring a pistol along without risking possible criminal charges. No dice for a non-resident. Not even completely broken down. The only exceptions were if one was on the way, or returning, from a gunshop or range; and no detours along the way.

When I say that I only spent a few hours there, I'm not kidding. Because of those asinine laws, we stayed at a hotel just outside the state line. Drove in the morning of the wedding, and then straight from the reception back to the hotel in PA. So, at least I managed to not spend a single dime in that progressive hellhole.

OP - Sorry I'm not adding much insight; other than voting that he try to get out of that state as soon as possible. The others' advice seems to be pretty good. Hopefully he'll be able to make the most out of it during his time there.

graffex
05-12-17, 09:54
I live here. We do what we gotta do.

FaxonNathan
05-15-17, 18:58
Regardless of if it makes sense, current Maryland State Police interpretation is the barrel must be marked HBAR or advertised for sale as a Heavy Barrel/HBAR. Simple as that.

There is no actual definition of what that profile is, so just make sure its marked or sold that way. There is a letter from them floating around online confirming this.

That is our understanding as well. Hence the sale of "Heavy Fluted" and it will stay marketed and labeled that way!

Kdubya
05-15-17, 23:04
Nathan. In case you haven't been told recently, you guys at Faxon are awesome! Your online presence and support of the 2A community is very much appreciated. Now if I could just decide between the Gunner and Flame!

OrbitalE
05-15-17, 23:18
That is our understanding as well. Hence the sale of "Heavy Fluted" and it will stay marketed and labeled that way!

Huge thumbs up for that.

m4hk33
05-16-17, 19:13
I live in Maryland, for about 10 more days.

A few things

first.

The md state police publicly state their list of legal/illegal of semi auto rifles is not legally binding as they are not experts. Hence the hk416 is legal but the sig 516 is not. They are clueless, no guidance should be taken from them.

Second

It's not enforced, not one reported or rumored incident of somebody at the range being questioned about barrel profile of purchase date.

Third

as mentioned earlier, New ar15s must be hbars, stamped or marketed as a heavy barrel. Actual contour is irrelevant.

With all that being said there is only a very narrow window AR's you can't purchase in Maryland.

Let's talk about what you can have

Any piston AR.

Any DI AR that is not 556/223 (300,6.5,6.8,7.62)

Any SBR that is over 29 inches(10.5 barrel), SBRs are not rifles in Maryland and are exempt from having to be an hbar.

Any AR pistol regardless of oal, or barrel profile.

Any AR that uses non standard parts, Lmt mrp, kac sr15, ect.

Any 16+ inch AR that is marketed as a hbar, regardless of contour, flutes or dimples.Any

Any large frame AR.

So ask yourself what can't you build?

Want an A4 clone. Get a lower, hbar upper, send to Arco with 100 bucks for dimples, and be within a couple ounces of standard hbar with better inherent accuracy.

With all this being said, I have pretty much opted out of their silly little requirements much like dog licenses, and the speed limit on 95.

I still shoot sub 29 inch sbr's at public ranges, my mixture of regular profile barrels has never been questioned,

Most members over at mdshooters stroke the **** out if one recommends anything other than a colt hbar sporter.

Rayrevolver
05-17-17, 08:06
Any SBR that is over 29 inches(10.5 barrel), SBRs are not rifles in Maryland and are exempt from having to be an hbar.

Congrats on leaving! Where you headed?

FYI - I quoted the above because you can make a 9" barrel meet the 29" OAL by using a Vltor A5 RE and a long stock like the Magpul ACS or Vltor Emod.

m4hk33
05-17-17, 09:11
heading to the middle east for a few years, want to buy some property in wv when i get back.

Locutus
05-18-17, 04:48
Nathan. In case you haven't been told recently, you guys at Faxon are awesome! Your online presence and support of the 2A community is very much appreciated. Now if I could just decide between the Gunner and Flame!

True dat. BTW, I went with the Gunner and I love it. :D

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-18-17, 07:06
He ended up rolling with a faxon socom 16 that was on sale from dvor.

FaxonNathan
05-18-17, 07:56
True dat. BTW, I went with the Gunner and I love it. :D

A pleasure to serve. If we can help in any way, please let us know.

Locutus
05-18-17, 14:54
A pleasure to serve. If we can help in any way, please let us know.

This is a large part of why my next barrel will be a Faxon also. :)