PDA

View Full Version : LMT sopmod stock

sierrahotel
09-28-08, 18:13
Any opinions? Im buying an LMT and I am wondering if you think its worth the extra cash. Do you think I would be better of buying something like a magpul CTR? I have used the standard stock and I found it hard to find a comfortable place to get a good sight picture. I haven't had a chance to shoulder the sopmod but I handled a CTR at a gun show today and It felt solid and more comfortable than a standard m4 stock.

Thanks.

Cameron
09-28-08, 18:45
I have a CTR and an LMT SOPMOD I prefer the cheek weld of the SOPMOD, and it has battery storage.

YMMV

decodeddiesel
09-28-08, 19:23
The SOPMOD is an amazing stock, and the CTR (or now the MOE) is hard to beat for the price. It depends more on what type of carbine you're putting it on as the SOPMOD will balance out a longer heavier gun better like a 16" M4/Middy or 18" SPR, where a CTR/MOE will be better on an SBR or "Lightweight" 14.5" M4. Either way both beat the shit out of a normal CAR or M4 stock.

Cameron
09-28-08, 19:38
decodeddiesel is right I should have said I had my SOPMOD on a 16" mid-length with a scope, and the CTR on a 14.5".

sierrahotel
09-28-08, 19:38
Thanks

Im going to be getting a 16inch LMT. Do you think that the cheek weld will help me get a more comfortable sight picture? I think the fact that I am a taller guy with longer arms makes the standard m4 stock uncomfortable, in your experience will the sophmod help this?

thanks

nickdrak
09-28-08, 20:14
Get the SOPMOD. It aint cheap, but it is money well spent. I plan on picking up one of the newer versions of the SOPMOD with the integral QD sling attachement point to replace the CTR on my carbine.

Cohibra45
09-28-08, 20:20
I believe that if you order the LMT with the SOPMOD on it, it only costs around an extra $100. If you purchase it later, it will cost almost double that!!!;)

I really like the cheek weld on my LMT. I recently go the Piston MRP CQB model and the pull up to the shoulder places my eyes right on their BUIS!!!:cool:

RogerinTPA
09-28-08, 20:21
I have a sopmod on my colt. Its an excellent cheek weld but expensive. With folks with lengthy arms, you can a always extend the stock as long as you don't rely on the "Nose to Charging Handle" aiming method. And...you can always bend your elbows...

A_shizzle
09-28-08, 21:41
I just got a SOPMOD and it kicks ass!!! definatly worth the cash IMHO.

Iraqgunz
09-28-08, 21:59
Coincidentally, someone here on M4C is selling a black LMT SOPMOD stock. :D

TWR
09-28-08, 22:51
I'm spoiled to the SOPMOD's on my light weights and heavier guns.

I am trying to learn to love the standard stock on an LMT 16" upper with Aimpoint but it just begs for a SOPMOD.

cathellsk
09-28-08, 22:54
Get the SOPMOD. It aint cheap, but it is money well spent. I plan on picking up one of the newer versions of the SOPMOD with the integral QD sling attachement point to replace the CTR on my carbine.

Thats what I'm waiting on too. Any idea who has them? I'm waiting to hear back from a few places. Bravo Co. doesn't btw.

Blankwaffe
09-29-08, 04:23
If your going to buy the LMT rifle you might as well go ahead and get it with the SOPMOD stock.
I recently did just the opposite and then shortly after ordered a SOPMOD stock to replace the LMT Gen II M4 stock.Going that route is much more expensive than just going ahead and getting the SOPMOD stock already in place on the rifle or lower....trust me.
You will not regret buying the SOPMOD stock either.Its a great stock and a verygood investment in the event you ever want to sell it.
IMHO the only stock that even comes close to LMT's SOPMOD is the VLTOR E-MOD.

nickdrak
09-29-08, 08:02
Thats what I'm waiting on too. Any idea who has them? I'm waiting to hear back from a few places. Bravo Co. doesn't btw.

I have only seen the new SOPMOD's come on complete LMT rifles & complete lowers, but not seperately as of yet.

5POINT56
09-29-08, 10:17
Any opinions? Im buying an LMT and I am wondering if you think its worth the extra cash.
Thanks.

Absolutely worth it IMO.

The SOPMOD is still the best stock available, all things considered....well worth the money. The CTR is a great stock...but it aint no SOPMOD.

cathellsk
09-29-08, 10:40
I have only seen the new SOPMOD's come on complete LMT rifles & complete lowers, but not seperately as of yet.

Heard back from LMT today, the black is available but with the tan ones they are still using up old stock.

Turnkey11
09-29-08, 14:20
Get the SOPMOD, you wont regret it.:cool:

yugolover
09-29-08, 14:41
I'm just going to throw this out there as another idea. Have you looked at the VLTOR Emod stock. I like it a lot better than the CTR stock. It has long length of pull which is great for us guys with really long arms. I also really like the cheek weld you get with this stock. It has plenty of storage built into it.

sierrahotel
09-29-08, 16:58
Since buying the sopmod with the LMT will be cheaper the buying an Emod seperatly, I think I will have to go with the sopmod unless the emod is a significant improvement over the sopmod.

spamsammich
09-29-08, 17:17
The ONLY way I would get a SOPMOD is if it was cheaper than an EMOD. When purchased separately, the SOPMOD was like $100 more expensive. I found them to be pretty close in feel during a side by side comparison. For me, the SOPMOD wasn't worth the extra cash.

Damascus
09-29-08, 17:49
Sorry to add onto someone's thread, but, I've got a question for you guys who own the LMT SOPMOD stocks...
I am also looking for a replacement for my S&W M&P15T (mil-spec extension tube), and was looking at the SOPMOD and E-Mod... My question is, which one is tighter on the tube??
I don't mind the way the standard M4 stock works, I just hate the way they rattle around and wobble.. I want something tight, that's going to be rock solid when I shoot... I want the E-mod, since it's cheaper, but which one is tighter? Thanx!

Dave L.
09-29-08, 18:13
I ordered 2 LMT Lowers with the SOPMOD stocks on them. I own Vltors, CTR's, UBR, and standard M4 stocks; the SOPMOD is a great stock. Simple and durable with no wiggle off the R.E. tube.
I wouldn't buy one separately though- $200 is nuts for that stock. The should be no more than $130.
A CTR keeps you in the $100 range and it's a good stock.

spamsammich
09-29-08, 18:14
Sorry to add onto someone's thread, but, I've got a question for you guys who own the LMT SOPMOD stocks...
I am also looking for a replacement for my S&W M&P15T (mil-spec extension tube), and was looking at the SOPMOD and E-Mod... My question is, which one is tighter on the tube??
I don't mind the way the standard M4 stock works, I just hate the way they rattle around and wobble.. I want something tight, that's going to be rock solid when I shoot... I want the E-mod, since it's cheaper, but which one is tighter? Thanx!

I have found all stocks, no matter what make, fit tighter on an LMT receiver extension. I have two LMT tubes and the results are the same. I've got REs from CMT, Vltor, and LMT and I prefer the Lewis Machine stuff. Given time, I'm sure all the stocks will eventually get loose on the LMT tube as well.

Dave L.
09-29-08, 18:18

Might depend on the tube. I can tell you, both of my SOPMOD's on LMT r.e. tubes are very snug. There is no wiggle room at all.
I have no experience with the EMOD, but I do own a VLTOR and it's not even close to how tight the SOPMOD is.

spamsammich
09-29-08, 18:22
In my experience, the tube has made all the difference. Try your Vltor on your LMT tube and see for yourself.

A_shizzle
09-29-08, 18:42

Ive got an LMT lower with SOPMOD and there is absolutly NO wiggle whatsoever. Its one rock solid piece of work

Cohibra45
09-29-08, 19:19
OK Guys...Here is the price directly from LMT Retail Price List Effective 1 Feb. 2008:

For complete rifles:

Standard Defender with 16" Chrome Lined 1:7" Twist Barrel, Standard Trigger, Standard Bolt & SOPMOD Stock.....$1250.00

Standard Defender with 16" Chrome Lined 1:7" Twist Barrel, Standard Trigger, Standard Bolt and Gen 2 Collapsing Stock.....$1235.55

For lowers only:

Defender Lower, Collapsing Stock and Standard Trigger....$330.00
Defender Lower, SOPMOD Stock and Standard Trigger.....$437.00

For SOPMOD Stock only:......$199.00
If you get the SOPMOD Stock Assembly, includes extension tube, plate and nut.....$263.85

As you all can see, the price difference is really moot when you purchase the complete rifle and even on just getting the lower, it's only $107 more. It is VERY much better than getting just the Gen 2 stock and is even very competitive with 'other' special cheek weld stocks when ordered with lowers or complete rifles!!!

If you are going to get the lower or complete rifle, go with the SOPMOD!!!!!!!

sierrahotel
09-29-08, 19:41
Worst come to worst if I hate it I don't think I would have a problem selling it and using that money to buy a emod.

Master_of_Sparks
09-29-08, 19:56
Im not sure how it worked out this way, but I ordered LMT factory complete rifles 2 different times this year. The first with SOPMOD was only $20 more at order. Yeah, I asked the same thing when they told me the charge. They insisted it was $20. When the gun came in, they called me and told they screwed up somehow. They asked if I would cover the $100 charge. Since it still only cost me around $1100, I paid it without a fight. They always give me very good deals on guns, so I didn't feel baited in any way.
When I ordered the second one, they told me the same price. I made them call LMT and they said I was right, it was an extra $100.

bgoode
09-29-08, 20:19
I have a CTR and an LMT SOPMOD I prefer the cheek weld of the SOPMOD, and it has battery storage.

YMMV
What he said

28_days
09-29-08, 23:36
Defender Lower, Collapsing Stock and Standard Trigger....$330.00
Defender Lower, SOPMOD Stock and Standard Trigger.....$437.00

That's retail pricing? Those are the same prices I find everywhere. I guess when you're top-notch there's no reason to do sales. :p

spamsammich
09-30-08, 00:45
That's MAP. It's pretty standard practice.

Cohibra45
09-30-08, 10:08
That's retail pricing? Those are the same prices I find everywhere. I guess when you're top-notch there's no reason to do sales. :p

Yes, those came directly from my 'Official' LMT Retail Price list that Ryan sent me. If you need any other retail prices on LMT, just ask!!!;)

hossb7
09-30-08, 10:29
Yes, those came directly from my 'Official' LMT Retail Price list that Ryan sent me. If you need any other retail prices on LMT, just ask!!!;)

LMT stripped lowers?

spamsammich
09-30-08, 12:03
Off topic, but they don't sell stripped lowers or uppers anymore.

Shark
09-30-08, 12:53
SOPMOD in FDE!

Got mine a couple of weeks ago on a RRA lower.
As others have also stated the cheek weld is very good.

I'm building (read saving up) a 6.8 SPC and it will have a
SOPMOD, but I am interested in a UBR as well.

Shark

Iraqgunz
09-30-08, 15:18
It's funny you mention that. I did exactly that recently with my Vltor EMOD and it's so tight I can't slide a pubic hair in there. I was really surprised.

In my experience, the tube has made all the difference. Try your Vltor on your LMT tube and see for yourself.

rljatl
09-30-08, 20:22
Does anybody know what the SOPMOD weighs?

sierrahotel
09-30-08, 22:42
16oz

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=18815

BTW, do you know if it is possible to get an LMT from the factory with different color furniture, such as tan/od?

Cohibra45
09-30-08, 22:51
16oz

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=18815

BTW, do you know if it is possible to get an LMT from the factory with different color furniture, such as tan/od?

Yes, their retail price list has tan as an option...before you ask, it is the same price as black!!!;)

sierrahotel
09-30-08, 23:06
So if Im buying a complete rifle from a dealer,do you think he can get it in tan/od furniture? And yes, I will ask the dealer.

Cohibra45
10-01-08, 07:03
So if Im buying a complete rifle from a dealer,do you think he can get it in tan/od furniture? And yes, I will ask the dealer.

I cannot answer that definitively, but, I would think that your dealer can request a tan hand grip and butt stock with the original order. ;)