PDA

View Full Version : New FN polymer pistols.....anyone with significant experience?

JoshNC
09-28-08, 18:20
I held the FN polymer pistols for the first time a few weeks ago and have to admit I like the feel of these. Has anyone had the chance to wring these out yet? I am considering buying at least one of these, especially the 45 if it is offered with a threaded barrel to accept a suppressor.

ThirdWatcher
09-28-08, 18:22
I haven't laid eyes on one, but www.fnforum.net has a bunch of info on 'em.

spamsammich
09-28-08, 23:09
I've shot the fnp-45 and while it shoots ok, the grip is a little too thick for my small hands and feels flimsy without the mag in since the plastic is so thin. I generally like the fnp series pistols but I can't bring myself to buy the 45 when I have access to a USP 45. I do have a fnp-9 and it is definitely one of my favorite pistols right now. It is like a cross between the Sig and USP 9. I only have around 300 rounds through it, but so far no FTE/FTF at all.

SS

VA_Dinger
09-28-08, 23:18
I do not know if I would call it "Significant Experience" but a bunch of us have handled and shot the new FNP-45 at a few of the South Hill Vickers Tactical classes.

I came away very impressed. I certainly would not hesitate to buy one.

maximus83
09-28-08, 23:30
Within the last 2 to 3 months, the American Rifleman had an extensive review of the FN 45. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, though. Laid hands on one in the local shop, and REALLY like the grips. I think that unlike a lot of the new pistols, with this one a person will not need to spend extra on stippling or whatever, because the grips are already pretty "grippy."

trio
09-28-08, 23:34
i took a class a few weeks ago, and one of the guys was running an FN-9...he was very happy with it, and had gotten the full sized and compact from CDNN for something insane like $650 (for both)

i'm not a big fan of DA/SA pistols, so they are out for me, but from what I saw of the gun it looked to be well made...

it did not fail once in the 2 days of the class....in fact the only gun with multiple failures was the one Sig in the class....

maximus83
09-29-08, 01:35
Two other impressions I forgot to note about the FN45 I handled.

1. The trigger was outstanding for a plastic duty-type gun. It was fairly heavy, but smooth and consistent throughout the pull range, with no stacking I could tell. Very unlike some other recent pistol designs we could mention, where the NIB trigger pulls are often described as "mushy", or "crunchy", and etc. The trigger on the FN was so good, I'll bet that most people find after break-in, they won't even need to get any custom work done to enhance it.

2. The other impression was the gun is fairly wide and bulky. They had to add some real estate somewhere, in order to get those 14 rounds of .45 packed in. It would not be easy to conceal. Obviously though, if someone is using for strictly home defense or a service or range pistol, and not concealing it, the width is no problem.

Turnkey11
09-29-08, 03:14
Im waiting for the mil version of the FNP 45 w/threaded barrel, tall sights, and doc optic. (W/Templar's permission.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20Subgun%20Aug%202-3%2008/P1000784.jpg

NinjaMedic
09-29-08, 05:48
Now that is quite intriguing, will that be a factory package from FN? I bought an FNP .40 for the girlfriend because she preferred the grip to anything I put in her hands except a 1911 (and she would have to buy one of those herself) and I have fallen in love with it myself, no issues yet, 1100 rounds and counting.

Iraq Ninja
09-29-08, 07:43
Im waiting for the mil version of the FNP 45 w/threaded barrel, tall sights, and doc optic.

You are in for a long wait, since FN USA recently said they have no plans to release the mil version. That is why there is a group buy going on for the custom barrels. More info at FNforum.net and TOS on how folks are going to mod their own.

TOrrock
09-29-08, 07:46
Im waiting for the mil version of the FNP 45 w/threaded barrel, tall sights, and doc optic. (didnt want to make hot without permission, link below for pic.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20Subgun%20Aug%202-3%2008/P1000784.jpg

That's my picture, no worries on using it.:cool:

I was pretty impressed with it. I'd certainly buy one.

JoshNC
09-29-08, 08:41
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will buy an FNP 9 compact and put it through the ringer.

Turnkey11
09-29-08, 12:10
That's my picture, no worries on using it.:cool:

I was pretty impressed with it. I'd certainly buy one.

Thanks, I forgot who and where I got that from, one of the million or so forums I never keep track of. :D

losbronces
12-26-08, 15:22
I put 300 rounds through an FNP-45 rental before I bought one. |This one came with one 15 round and two 14 round magazines and a huge case:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/losbronces/PB220064-1.jpg

I have seen many mentions of the FNP-45, it does have a safety/decocker. It can be carried cocked with the safety on:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/losbronces/PB220065.jpg
or decocked with the hammer down (first shot will be double action):
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/losbronces/PB220066.jpg
Decocking action
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/losbronces/PB220067.jpg

williejc
12-26-08, 20:41
My FNP-45 is a joy to shoot with its excellent accuracy, soft recoil, and reliable function. This very big pistol equipped with a Surefire light is my primary home defense firearm. A plus is that this line is serviced by the consumer- oriented Browning outfit.

Slater
12-27-08, 12:33
Never done a side-by-side comparison, but is the FNP-45 a bigger, bulkier gun than the Glock 21?

losbronces
12-27-08, 13:34
Never done a side-by-side comparison, but is the FNP-45 a bigger, bulkier gun than the Glock 21?

I have to say that it is by a slight margin. Its definitely a little longer and heavier.

RAM Engineer
12-27-08, 13:38
I've never shot one, but only handled it at the gun store. BUT based on that limited experience, I had the same problem I do with the HK45s: The safety was NOT in the right spot for me. I could neither ride it like I would a 1911, nor get my high thumb hold on the gun like I would a Glock/M&P.

If they made a slick side gun with some sort of LEM trigger, I'd probably be all over it, otherwise.

I'm surprised with all the FN folks we have posting on this board that none of them have found their way to this topic yet.

Jason

spamsammich
12-27-08, 19:16

My hands are really pretty small, I'm a short guy... I found the FNP-45 a little less bulky in my hand but overall the gun felt taller and longer than the 21. I much prefer the feel of the FN grip over the 21. I have a real tough time even with the newer Glock 17s and 19s because I don't like the way the grip feels in my hands. My biggest gripe that I recall with the FNP-45 was that when the magazine was out, the grip plastic felt thin and flimsy.

Now that I"ve spent some more time getting to know my FNP-9 and put around 800 rounds through it with no failures, the ergonomics have really grown on me. If my hands were a little bigger and I didn't have a hard on for 1911s, I'd probably pick up the 45 at some point

Dport
12-27-08, 19:32
I have a Browning Pro-9 (basically an FNP-9 with the safety and decocker). I love it. In fact, I think I prefer it to my M&P in many respects.

MadDog
04-10-10, 12:12
Just noticed the FN-45 Tactical model (with provision for MRD and threaded barrel) is on the market now. Selling between $950 and $1,000 on guns america, gun broker and other places.

MadDog

Pappabear
04-10-10, 18:10
I have the FNP 45 and really like for all the reasons stated. And I saw the FNP 45 tactical in store the other day. Three mags, nylon nice pistol case, threaded barrel, cut out for doc optic. I did not buy, but jeeze I wanted too.