PDA

View Full Version : Good quality bulk M193

Mr McSimon
05-12-17, 14:28
Hey guys. I've been doing some searching and learning that not all (X)M193 loads are created equal, and that even some brands perform differently from lot to lot. So that said, I'm looking for some current advice on which M193 is the best choice to get started with. I'm looking to buy 1000 rounds to use for my initial zero, then to use as my "get to know your rifle" ammo. I'll be shooting a 16" 1:7 chrome barrel.

Right now I'm leaning towards this deal on a case of Magtech CBC.....

https://redriverreloading.com/ammo/centerfire-rifle-ammo/product/129959-magtech-556nato-55gr-fmjbt-1000rds-c.html

Can anybody confirm that this is a good choice, or let me know what other good or better choices there are? IMI and PMC are other brands that I'm considering, with a preference to IMI between those two, but I also see PMP and a lot of Privi out there. Any and all input is appreciated.

C4IGrant
05-12-17, 14:31
Hey guys. I've been doing some searching and learning that not all (X)M193 loads are created equal, and that even some brands perform differently from lot to lot. So that said, I'm looking for some current advice on which M193 is the best choice to get started with. I'm looking to buy 1000 rounds to use for my initial zero, then to use as my "get to know your rifle" ammo. I'll be shooting a 16" 1:7 chrome barrel.

Right now I'm leaning towards this deal on a case of Magtech CBC.....

https://redriverreloading.com/ammo/centerfire-rifle-ammo/product/129959-magtech-556nato-55gr-fmjbt-1000rds-c.html

Can anybody confirm that this is a good choice, or let me know what other good or better choices there are? IMI and PMC are other brands that I'm considering, with a preference to IMI between those two, but I also see PMP and a lot of Privi out there. Any and all input is appreciated.

BEST 62GR: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CBC556B

BEST 55GR: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MEN556A

C4

Straight Shooter
05-12-17, 14:55
Grant- Been tryig to find chrono info on the 62gr out of a 16" 1/7 barrel carbine. Any info?
Also- is this marketed as a self defense type load?

C4IGrant
05-12-17, 15:17
Grant- Been tryig to find chrono info on the 62gr out of a 16" 1/7 barrel carbine. Any info?
Also- is this marketed as a self defense type load?

I don't know of any info on it. I am also not sure why it matters?

You can certainly use M193 as a self-defense load, but there are much better choices out there IMHO.

C4

ScottsBad
05-12-17, 16:11
BEST 62GR: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CBC556B

BEST 55GR: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MEN556A

C4

I think Grant is exactly right about this. I have had good results with both of these. The 62gr CBC is not M855 which is probably why its better than "green tip". This is good get to know your rifle ammo. It can be used for SD, but there are some expensive specialized ammo available for that if you feel you need the best SD load.

fz1boxer
05-12-17, 16:23
I have shot the men 5.56 55grain,it is good clean ammo very accurate,buy it and buy alot.

bfoosh006
05-15-17, 14:10
Deleted

Mr McSimon
05-15-17, 20:54
Once the MEN had been mentioned here, I remembered the dedicated thread Grant started about it too, so between that and this one it's hard to argue anything different. Tomorrow is payday so I intend on going with the MEN M193 as recommended. Thanks for the responses.

Kdubya
05-15-17, 23:16
Sounds like you may have decided, but I came across these yesterday. IMI and Xtac are my two favorites and shoot well in just about every AR I've run them through. Since you specifically mentioned IMI in the OP, I figured I'd share. Pretty good price.

http://www.eagleeyeguns.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=IMI-M193(Case-500)

Mr McSimon
05-16-17, 08:38
Sounds like you may have decided, but I came across these yesterday. IMI and Xtac are my two favorites and shoot well in just about every AR I've run them through. Since you specifically mentioned IMI in the OP, I figured I'd share. Pretty good price.

http://www.eagleeyeguns.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=IMI-M193(Case-500)

Decided or not, thanks for the additional info. I have a feeling I'll be trying different ammo out over time, so having some back up options is always a good thing. I still like the look of the CMC, IMI, and PMC too, so those all may end up in my rifle at some point or another.

Kdubya
05-16-17, 15:16
Decided or not, thanks for the additional info. I have a feeling I'll be trying different ammo out over time, so having some back up options is always a good thing. I still like the look of the CMC, IMI, and PMC too, so those all may end up in my rifle at some point or another.

Happy to help. That same place manages to carry some of the more "exotic" defensive ammo as well. Good site to bookmark.

Spin Drift
05-17-17, 09:49
Just ordered a case of MEN M193. G&R Tactical is super easy to order from, shipping is less than I would pay in local sales tax.

If it's as good as people say, will be buying a lot.

German manufactured ammo at this price seems like a steal.

C4IGrant
05-17-17, 11:26
Just ordered a case of MEN M193. G&R Tactical is super easy to order from, shipping is less than I would pay in local sales tax.

If it as good as people say, will be buying a lot.

German manufactured ammo at this price seems like a steal.

Let us know how you like it!

C4

Spin Drift
05-23-17, 18:37
Let us know how you like it!

C4

The MEN ammo got here, looks great. Bright cases, sealed primers, OAL was consistent, packaging looks 1st quality.

Will be shooting some in a.m., can't wait.

Big Thanks to G&R.

Swstock
05-23-17, 20:37
My MEN m193 shot better than my IMI m193 last week.

Spin Drift
05-24-17, 14:33
The MEN works very well, no problems, clean, typical M193 accuracy (a little better than average), packaged in 30 round boxes, which is handy with 30 round mags...

Burned up 300+ rounds, not a single problem. Nothing.

Great stuff, will buy a bunch more. Really a no-brainer, fine German ammo at great price.

Colnago
06-07-17, 11:22
I am a big fan of MEN ammo. I like the 5.56 ammo but if you shoot 9mm, they make 124 gr. ball ammo that is really cost effective and performs very well -- Its accurate and clean.

Mr McSimon
07-09-17, 15:24
I just wanted to come make an update to my thread, and thanks again to people recommending MEN M193. I've put 780 rounds through the new build so far and I'm pleased. I like the way it shoots, it's accurate, clean, and well priced. I like the packaging in 30 round boxes, and it's easy to clean and maintain my weapon after using it. All and all great ammo, making it hard to think about shooting anything else in a 55 (56) grain. 5/5 stars.

Kdubya
07-09-17, 22:57
I just wanted to come make an update to my thread, and thanks again to people recommending MEN M193. I've put 780 rounds through the new build so far and I'm pleased. I like the way it shoots, it's accurate, clean, and well priced. I like the packaging in 30 round boxes, and it's easy to clean and maintain my weapon after using it. All and all great ammo, making it hard to think about shooting anything else in a 55 (56) grain. 5/5 stars.

Thanks for the update. Did you actually shoot for groups at all?

If you're in a replenishing mood, and don't mind trying a different round, Sportsmans Guide has Wolf Gold for $277 per case. That's the "member" price, but they offer a 30 day trial. Even without the discount it's $291. It's highly regarded around the forums as one of the best values for plinking ammo.

Mr McSimon
07-10-17, 20:23
Thanks for the update. Did you actually shoot for groups at all?

If you're in a replenishing mood, and don't mind trying a different round, Sportsmans Guide has Wolf Gold for $277 per case. That's the "member" price, but they offer a 30 day trial. Even without the discount it's $291. It's highly regarded around the forums as one of the best values for plinking ammo.

I haven't really been shooting for groups so far, as I've only been using my back up irons while I gather funds for an LPV. Ofc there has been some times when I'm feeling in the zone that I've brought it in pretty tight, but at this point I'm just learning to shoot (well) again and working on the fundamentals. Once I mount my scope I'll start getting a little more concerned with precision, but this is my all purpose build anyways, so in the end as long as I'm on center mass and hitting what I'm aiming at I'm happy. At 100 yards I'm making head shots on a full size silouette. That's what, 8 MOA? So with irons that's not terrible for an old out of practice noob, I don't think.

Here's a pic of my target after my first 7 groups. This is out of a never before shot 16" BMC CFH barrel at 25 yards, and my first 5.56 rounds since 1993, which was the last time I qualified on my M16A2. Gotta give credit to BCM that their upper assembly(FSB)+Troy backup sight was so well zeroed right off the bat. I got a little carried away on 5 because I couldn't stop shooting, it was feeling so nice. I'm willing to bet the ammo will scale up with me nicely as I get better, which is what this thread was all about. Thanks for the tip on the Wolf Gold too, sounds like it's worth a look.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4217/35459887770_f02c6a7a73_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/W2tcem)

sl4mdaddy
07-11-17, 17:34

SGAmmo carries MEN ammo as well, you might want to include them in your ammo searches when you find yourself in need.