PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Handguards

Stickman
09-28-08, 20:08
I think this is one of the items that appeared at SHOT 08 that most people really liked, and that everyone could afford. I'm in the middle of writing up a review on weaponevolution.com, but a thread over here to discuss them, ask questions, and make comments only makes sense.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9278%201028%20Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9326%201028%20Stick.jpg

Review is partially up, and can be found ....... WEVO MOE HANDGUARD REVIEW THREAD (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4574&posted=1#post4574)

SoDak
09-28-08, 20:56
Awsome write-up. Looks like they are just what I need, a way to mount a flashlight(in my case a g2l) and see if a vfg works out well for me and best of all, I can afford it.

rob_s
09-28-08, 20:57
Midlength in the future?

Mongo001
09-28-08, 21:01
(Not in the order that they popped in my head)

Innovative........modular..........FUGLY........how do they handle/dissipate heat.........I don't forsee a need for something like this on my rifles.

Jay Cunningham
09-28-08, 21:11
My first thought was, "damn I wish they extended past the FSB..."

Minor nit, they look like they could fill a lot of roles inexpensively.

Stickman
09-28-08, 21:53
Awsome write-up. Looks like they are just what I need, a way to mount a flashlight(in my case a g2l) and see if a vfg works out well for me and best of all, I can afford it.

I've got a G2 on mine currently, though I don't have any pictures of it uploaded.

28_days
09-28-08, 21:55
Midlength in the future?

Ditto.

SoDak
09-28-08, 22:23
I've got a G2 on mine currently, though I don't have any pictures of it uploaded.

How do you have it mounted?

Avenger29
09-28-08, 22:38
Looks pretty cool and looks like good value for the money.

I'll probably be picking up a set of these after they come out. I'm a cheap bastard, but I'm getting a little tired of my standard handguards (blah).

What about heat and shielding, though? That's my only concern.

chadbag
09-28-08, 23:28
The look is kind of FAL-ish.

I will be getting some for a few projects I think.

Pat.c
09-28-08, 23:39
So is the material more resistance to heat? I worry about standard hand guards as they will melt over time.

Solid
09-28-08, 23:42
So is the material more resistance to heat? I worry about standard hand guards as they will melt over time.

Mine get pretty damn hot when I shoot. Makes me need to wear gloves.

EDIT:

Stick, how is the heat when shooting these barehanded?

SpartanArms
09-29-08, 00:48
I have to admit these do look pretty interesting. It will be interesting to see how these stack up against the standard M4 heat-shield hand guards. I definitely have to second what the others have said, a big +1 on a set of mid-length hand guards!:D I would definitely like to have a set of those.

rob_s
09-29-08, 05:47
FWIW, the reason I'm interested in a midlength version is that I've found that I don't like mounting a light to a 7.0 set of handguards as it doesn't leave enough room for my hands. Pushing the FSB out further with a midlength gives that extra 2" in which I can bolt a short rail and mount an X300.

mark5pt56
09-29-08, 07:09
FWIW, the reason I'm interested in a midlength version is that I've found that I don't like mounting a light to a 7.0 set of handguards as it doesn't leave enough room for my hands. Pushing the FSB out further with a midlength gives that extra 2" in which I can bolt a short rail and mount an X300.

indeed, having a lightweight platform to mount a light is ideal, price helps as well! The middy version would be a hot ticket.

Bigun
09-29-08, 07:33
Will these work with a railed gas block and folding back up sights?

ST911
09-29-08, 11:39
Interesting.

I'd like to see them after some sustained auto fire, and some abuse (drop/crush/etc) testing.

I also wonder about dissipation/shielding. That sucker looks like it's going to get, and stay, hot.

It appears that the backings for the rail attachment are reasonably stout. Many others are inclined to use a light sheet metal backing that gives, strips, or deforms in short order. Bonus.

Magsz
09-29-08, 13:10

Ditto that!

When can we expect a release date? Next couple of months? I know, i know, i feel like a turd being the only guy to ask this lol.

TomMcC
09-29-08, 17:08
Looks like the front edge , by the FSB, might interfer with a side sling attachment. Is this so? If so, is the fix just a bit of trimming?

bullitt5172
09-29-08, 20:42
Guys, this ain't Magpul's first rodeo. I have to believe they are covering all the bases when it comes to heat, durability etc.

I thought they looked great when I saw them at Shot, I'm looking forward to running them.

09-29-08, 22:47
Guys, this ain't Magpul's first rodeo. I have to believe they are covering all the bases when it comes to heat, durability etc.

Not knocking Magpul, because we all know they make great products, but just because it ain't their 1st rodeo doesn't give them free pass. The question about durability and heat resistance is valid, as is questions on any new product. The proof will be in the pudding, or something like that.:D

Highway 55
09-29-08, 22:56
How big are they compared to car and M4 handguards? From the pics they only look a little bigger than car handguards to me.

Solid
09-30-08, 15:07
How big are they compared to car and M4 handguards? From the pics they only look a little bigger than car handguards to me.

Look at Stick's forum, they are shorter. From the pics they do not go above the upper.

CCK
09-30-08, 19:24
How about it Stick? Do you have one from the side of the muzzle looking back at the receiver? I'm curious what is needed behind the FSB. Can this be installed without the handguard cap?

Thanks,

Chris

Stickman
09-30-08, 20:14
How about it Stick? Do you have one from the side of the muzzle looking back at the receiver? I'm curious what is needed behind the FSB. Can this be installed without the handguard cap?

Thanks,

Chris

The handguard cap is needed, I'll see if I can shoot a picture for you from the front if I don't have one shot already.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-08, 01:24
Nice way to tacti-cool a cheap upper. +1 on the midlength, FDE too. Would make nice way to finish off a CMMG upper I'm looking to mate with a spare lower. You don't see many 20inch barrel rifles anymore, or am I spending too much time on M4C, but there a lot of PD with rifles that might be looking to update them.

SoDak
11-03-08, 11:24
Hey Stickman, those rails are made by ergo(falcon industries) right? Did the rail pieces fit tight with little side to side play? Finally are those the rail that magpul will supply, or will the provide ones they make themselves? I'm wondering since I foud one of those rail pieces like the one in your review for $15 and I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

Saginaw79
11-03-08, 13:32
I think I want a set, just in FDE

Stickman
11-04-08, 08:29
Hey Stickman, those rails are made by ergo(falcon industries) right? Did the rail pieces fit tight with little side to side play? Finally are those the rail that magpul will supply, or will the provide ones they make themselves? I'm wondering since I foud one of those rail pieces like the one in your review for $15 and I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

No idea who made the rails, I'm sure there are plenty of different ones that will fit. They are tight, and with no play once tightened down. Magpul is not supplying rails with the MOE Handguard, as they are not part of the MOE system. Whether they become available from Magpul in the future is a question that I can't answer, but I would guess its something they are looking at.

SoDak
11-04-08, 08:51
Thanks for the info. I might go and pick up that rail if the store still has it.

trinydex
09-07-11, 01:11
My first thought was, "damn I wish they extended past the FSB..."

Minor nit, they look like they could fill a lot of roles inexpensively.

Is an fsb wrap around / cutaway version ever going to be made?

Sorry for the necro bump but i was searching for such a discussion and this exact post came up...

munch520
09-07-11, 09:30
I'm sure it's possible, but I would guess that doing so would compromise some of the rigidity/strength of the hand guard. They're very solid as-is...my only gripe with them is that they are slippery, which of course can be fixed :) but I prefer a quad rail with ladder covers to the MOE I think.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/1e6195f5.jpg