PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM looking at domestic production of PKM/NSV?

Slater
05-14-17, 10:25
Don't know if any US company would find this profitable enough to take it on. And can we make a PKM better than the Commies can?

https://sbir.defensebusiness.org/(X(1)S(reloa5k32ieie3sxmtzpaou1))/topics?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1#topic28759

OBJECTIVE: Develop an innovative domestic capability to produce fully functioning facsimiles of foreign made weapons that are equal to or better than what is currently being produced internationally.

DESCRIPTION: For decades surrogate forces and allies have depended on foreign made weapons which are used in conflicts around the world. USSOCOM intermittently supplies surrogate forces and allies with foreign made weapons from international intermediaries. These foreign made weapons lack interchangeability and standardization which hinders field and depot level part replacement. Developing a domestic production capability for foreign like weapons addresses these issues while being cost effective as well as strengthens the nation’s military-industrial complex, ensures a reliable and secure supply chain, and reduces acquisition lead times.

ABNAK
05-14-17, 11:15
I was gonna ask who these would be made for, then I read this part:

"PHASE III DUAL-USE APPLICATIONS: Assemble a production capability to supply the US Government with foreign like weapons for use by surrogate and allied forces."

So we don't have access to enough PKM's and Dishka's to continue to equip our up-and-coming allies that we now have to produce them? I didn't think it 's been a problem even with all the IA/ANA we've been training over the last decade +. I mean they are rather prolific weapon systems after all.

26 Inf
05-14-17, 12:00
I was gonna ask who these would be made for, then I read this part:

"PHASE III DUAL-USE APPLICATIONS: Assemble a production capability to supply the US Government with foreign like weapons for use by surrogate and allied forces."

So we don't have access to enough PKM's and Dishka's to continue to equip our up-and-coming allies that we now have to produce them? I didn't think it 's been a problem even with all the IA/ANA we've been training over the last decade +. I mean they are rather prolific weapon systems after all.

Don't have the faintest if this is true:

These foreign made weapons lack interchangeability and standardization which hinders field and depot level part replacement.

This probably is true, keep the money at home:

Developing a domestic production capability for foreign like weapons addresses these issues while being cost effective as well as strengthens the nation’s military-industrial complex, ensures a reliable and secure supply chain, and reduces acquisition lead times.

MountainRaven
05-14-17, 13:49
I believe Vltor has some knowledge and manufacturing ability in this area.

CRAMBONE
05-14-17, 13:54
Vltor used to and may still make a PK receiver. I think at one time they sold semi PKs for a while. I like this idea. I would rather my tax dollars go to a US manufacturer than some former East Bloc country and I also have an issue with us giving all of our "allies" 240s and M2s. (It's a personal issue)

soulezoo
05-14-17, 14:03
I believe Vltor has some knowledge and manufacturing ability in this area.

x2. Vltor has been working with and improving PKM's for some years.

Campbell
05-14-17, 14:31
Blotter used to may still make a PK receiver. I thought no they sold semi PKs for a while. I like this idea. I would rather my tax dollars go to a US manufacturer than some former East Bloc country and I also have an issue with us giving all of our "allies" 240s and M2s. (It's a personal issue)

Agree

Cagemonkey
05-14-17, 17:12
x2. Vltor has been working with and improving PKM's for some years.
Exactly. End of story.

Moose-Knuckle
05-15-17, 04:37
IIRC, Vltor got into the PKM game for their PMC customers back in the wild west days in Iraq.

ABNAK
05-15-17, 05:48
Don't have the faintest if this is true:

These foreign made weapons lack interchangeability and standardization which hinders field and depot level part replacement.

This probably is true, keep the money at home:

Developing a domestic production capability for foreign like weapons addresses these issues while being cost effective as well as strengthens the nation’s military-industrial complex, ensures a reliable and secure supply chain, and reduces acquisition lead times.

Oh God, of all the words they could have chosen........:jester:

elephant
05-15-17, 13:10
i honestly don't know why we wouldn't look into producing a US made MG42.

Averageman
05-15-17, 13:26

I'm pretty sure the M240 is as or more reliable. I don't have any time firing a MG42, but I could guess the hundreds of thousands of rounds I've sent through a M240. They seem to operate flawlessly when maintained regularly.

MountainRaven
05-15-17, 15:01

Because we're not buying PKMs for us and we're not speaking with the largest manufacturer of PKMs.

MG3s are simply a matter of filling the paperwork with a NATO ally and getting them the money.

26 Inf
05-15-17, 15:27
I'm pretty sure the M240 is as or more reliable. I don't have any time firing a MG42, but I could guess the hundreds of thousands of rounds I've sent through a M240. They seem to operate flawlessly when maintained regularly.

Yeah, but do they sound like ripping canvas when you fire them? I have about one minute on an MG-42, at a full auto shoot put on by SOF back in the early 80's (IIRC as Chuck Taylor was there). Pretty cool.

Averageman
05-15-17, 15:32
Yeah, but do they sound like ripping canvas when you fire them? I have about one minute on an MG-42, at a full auto shoot put on by SOF back in the early 80's (IIRC as Chuck Taylor was there). Pretty cool.
I did a weapons qualification with the German Army, Ok, ok it was a beer drinking qualification interrupted by a weapons festival and fired one a very long time ago, very nice trigger.
Drop a box of ammo in the top and turn the sausage grinder handle while you put the links in the side and voila !

26 Inf
05-15-17, 16:48
I did a weapons qualification with the German Army, Ok, ok it was a beer drinking qualification interrupted by a weapons festival and fired one a very long time ago, very nice trigger.
Drop a box of ammo in the top and turn the sausage grinder handle while you put the links in the side and voila !

I had a buddy that did the same when he was in Germany. He won some medal/device that was about the size of a saucer plate, he'd wear it every Christmas at our Class A inspection. No one could ever decide if he could wear it or not, so he did. Ahhh, the Reserves!

elephant
05-15-17, 19:49
Looking at this from a manufacturing standpoint, the MG-42 would be more economical to produce than a M-240, M-60 or PKM, especially considering that these would be more or less "freebies". You could replicate a MG-42 to fire 5.56/7.62 with out a de-linker and use non-disintegrating links for a minimalistic platform. The M-240, M-60 and I'm sure the PKM as well are labor intensive to build, stamp, press, forge and assemble and have roughly 2X more moving parts than a MG-42. The MG-3 used by Germany is almost an exact replica of the MG-42 but modernized for NATO compliance.

Or.....you could scale down the Oerlikon Mk.4 20mm anti-aircraft cannon (designed in 1939) relatively small number of parts, only 1 moving part, recoil operated, and can be disassembled without any tools.

TF82
05-15-17, 20:46
Oh God, of all the words they could have chosen........:jester:

Right?