PDA

View Full Version : Question on Benelli M1 and M2 shotguns...

Slater
05-14-17, 14:27
Are the internals the same on these two shotguns or are there differences?

NongShim
05-15-17, 09:34
They are essentially the same. Is there something specific you're wondering about?

Slater
05-15-17, 10:11
Not really. I'm looking at buying an M1 from a local seller and was curious about it's design. I'm a novice to the inertial recoil system.

TomMcC
05-16-17, 02:39
There is a difference in the bolt carriers which allow a M1 to be Ghost loaded (round on the lifter/carrier). The M2 has to be machined to do this. I can't remember exactly what needs to be modified to do this, a difference in a slot on the bottom of the carrier. For the vast majority it's an irrelevant difference.

The_War_Wagon
05-16-17, 07:13
There is a difference in the bolt carriers which allow a M1 to be Ghost loaded (round on the lifter/carrier). The M2 has to be machined to do this. I can't remember exactly what needs to be modified to do this, a difference in a slot on the bottom of the carrier. For the vast majority it's an irrelevant difference.

I believe the M1's ability to hold one "in the float," was limited to the H&K mfgd. models. I have one of the LAST M1's (date code, 2002), and it does NOT allow for that.

Slater
05-16-17, 08:10
The one I'm looking at has an 18 inch barrel, pistol grip stock, and Ghost Ring sights. Were these ever made with 20 inch barrels?

TomMcC
05-16-17, 10:08
I believe the M1's ability to hold one "in the float," was limited to the H&K mfgd. models. I have one of the LAST M1's (date code, 2002), and it does NOT allow for that.

You're probably right. I haven't really kept up with it, it's all a bit hazy in my mind. I do have a HK model and it will do it.

TomMcC
05-16-17, 10:08
The one I'm looking at has an 18 inch barrel, pistol grip stock, and Ghost Ring sights. Were these ever made with 20 inch barrels?

Don't believe so.

Slater
05-16-17, 19:57
On the M1 Super 90, any particular things to look for when inspecting a prospective purchase?

TomMcC
05-17-17, 02:03
On the M1 Super 90, any particular things to look for when inspecting a prospective purchase?

If possible, pull the barrel off and inspect the ejector housing. Make sure the inside bolt lug hasn't been battering the end of that housing. Mine has done this and I am in the process of getting the housing and rivet replaced.

Slater
05-17-17, 05:35
Is this a common issue for the M1?

TomMcC
05-17-17, 10:26
Is this a common issue for the M1?

Don't think so. But did happen to mine. I'm not even sure what caused it. My theory is that the main inertia spring got a little weak and allowed the bolt head to recoil a bit too much and catching the edge of the ejector housing.

specopsscout
05-17-17, 17:36

Check the receiver thoroughly for cracks and/or warping. They are made out of aluminum, and there were multiple reports of issues with folks over tightening their sidesaddles when installing them, flexing the receiver. I had an M1 Super 90 Tactical for years and it was an awesome weapon. I really regret selling it.

user
05-17-17, 19:06
You're probably right. I haven't really kept up with it, it's all a bit hazy in my mind. I do have a HK model and it will do it.

To set up an M1 to ghost load, you just file the notch in the bottom of the bolt carrier on the side that the lift gate comes up and touches. Pretty fast and easy to do.

Slater
05-19-17, 21:54
Picked this one up up today. Receiver is marked "HECKLER & KOCH INC - STERLING VA". The serial number is really hard to make out, but appears to be "MO99xxx" or possibly "MO89xxx"? The seller said that it was made in 1990, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. Appears to be in overall nice condition. This is supposed to be an 18.5 inch barrel but for some reason seems longer - maybe it's just my 56-year old eyes.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1719_zps7lknikrx.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1719_zps7lknikrx.jpg.html)

MJN1957
05-20-17, 09:48
Picked this one up up today. Receiver is marked "HECKLER & KOCH INC - STERLING VA". The serial number is really hard to make out, but appears to be "MO99xxx" or possibly "MO89xxx"? The seller said that it was made in 1990, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. Appears to be in overall nice condition. This is supposed to be an 18.5 inch barrel but for some reason seems longer - maybe it's just my 56-year old eyes.

I've had several HK-marked Super90s and to my understanding, all HK-marked guns are early 90's imports. My current one is a 20" rifle-sighted barrel with a spare 21" vent-rib barrel and longer mag tube. It is definitely a keeper since we have some history together.

From the perspective in the pic, that does look like a 20" barrel...but Benelli doesn't quite get the Imperial system apparently. Their 18" is actually 18.5", and the 20" is 19.75" so there is only 1.25" diff between their 18" & 20" barrels and it could really be either one until you put a ruler to it.

My original barrel has OEM screw-in chokes making my gun one of the later ones imported. Does your have screw-ins?

I'm not a fan of either their PG stock or GRS, but that is still a nice gun and it looks like it is in great condition. Congrats!

If it's a keeper for you, you might want to pick-up an inertia spring (the heavy spring inside the bolt) and a recoil spring (in the tub inside the stock). Unless the receiver has been crimped like specopsscout said, those two springs are about the only thing that can go wrong with them and they are cheap and handy to have on-hand just-in-case.

MikeN

Slater
05-20-17, 10:19
Do the M1 and M2 use the same springs?

TomMcC
05-21-17, 00:25
Do the M1 and M2 use the same springs?

Nice shotgun, exactly like the one I have. I have changed quite a few things on mine over the years to suit my 3gunning. It's still quite usable for HD though. The springs should be the same, but be careful about the recoil spring. For some reason Brownell's Benelli factory recoil spring is SN# sensitive.

Does yours' have the interchangeable chokes?

Slater
05-21-17, 07:45
Nice shotgun, exactly like the one I have. I have changed quite a few things on mine over the years to suit my 3gunning. It's still quite usable for HD though. The springs should be the same, but be careful about the recoil spring. For some reason Brownell's Benelli factory recoil spring is SN# sensitive.

Does yours' have the interchangeable chokes?

No interchangeable chokes