PDA

View Full Version : Truck tool box sealing methods?

citizensoldier16
05-15-17, 23:50
I have about exhausted my efforts and googled fu on this one. Does anyone know of a good replacement solution for sealing an over-the-rail truck box? I have tried the window seal rolls from the big box home improvement stores only to have them fall off in a week or so. I have tried window sealers, 2 sided tape with foam, etc. Nothing actually stays put for more than a week or two. Does anyone actually make a replacement kit for truck box seals?

I'm not trying to seal the tailgate...which is all I get with a Google search. I have a Husky toolbox and the seals have gone to crap, so im getting dust and pollen all over everything in my box.

What do yall recommend? I'm getting fustrated here, so I figured I'd ask. Any help would be appreciated.

TaterTot
05-16-17, 01:37
The fattest D profile window gasket that will let the box close and 3M high yeald spray adhesive. You will have to prep the surface with a wire wheel and, alcohol, mek, or wax and grease remover. Even the best adhesives don't want to stick to the funky clear coat they put on those things

ramairthree
05-16-17, 09:11
Put a bead of gasket black gasket maker to hold your seal on.

Do not close until dry.

Digital_Damage
05-16-17, 13:33
buy one that seals?

Averageman
05-16-17, 14:27
A lot of "How to" would require actually seeing what you are trying to seal.
I would guess you may end up using the method TaterTot described, but you may end up using more than one seal. One on the lid, one on the box in such a way that the two would make contact.

Ryno12
05-16-17, 14:50
You don't want to put any type of seal on the box portion. That'll get messed up quickly just from normal daily use.

There's a liquid product they use on electrical enclosures as a seal. A bead is placed around the perimeter of the door; once it drys, it's becomes a soft, conforming foam seal. I can't find the name of the product but if/when I do, I'll update. It would work great for your application.

citizensoldier16
05-16-17, 16:09
You don't want to put any type of seal on the box portion. That'll get messed up quickly just from normal daily use. There's a liquid product they use on electrical enclosures as a seal. A bead is placed around the perimeter of the door; once it drys, it's becomes a soft, conforming foam seal. I can't find the name of the product but if/when I do, I'll update. It would work great for your application.

This sounds like what I need. I'm not putting it on the box because, as said above, the seal would get worn away from general use. I need something to go on the inside of the lid where it meets the box. I hadn't thought about prepping the surface either, that ill def get out the wire wheel and grind a little bit.

I'm just tired of getting pollen and dust in the box. Ill try what yall have mentioned and report back.

Reno, if you remember the name of the product youre thinking of, let me know. Thanks!