PDA

View Full Version : Army uniforms: old is new again

Slater
05-16-17, 05:40
I think it's one of the most iconic and recognizable uniforms in Army (and Army Air Forces) history. Heck, go for it. Now if the USAF would just get rid of that "insurance salesman" Class A look:

"The Army's top enlisted soldier is heading to the next uniform board meeting, armed with the results of an exclusive Army Times survey, to make the case for bringing back an iconic, World War II era uniform for everyday business wear, he told Army Times in an interview this week."

"That was the uniform of the 'Greatest Generation.' There was a lot of prestige and honor associated with that. The American public identified with that uniform," he said. "We think that is more appropriate than trying to create something new."

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-uniform-board-to-consider-bringing-back-iconic-pinks-and-greens-uniform

mark5pt56
05-16-17, 06:07
Good lord, and what's the cost projection for this?

chuckman
05-16-17, 07:16
I had to read it a couple times. At first it read like satire.

Holy cow, are any of the services going to go 5 years without a uniform change of some sort??

Abraxas
05-16-17, 07:36

Lol, like they care about that.

OH58D
05-16-17, 08:00
I used to be concerned about changing the mission from killing people and blowing up things to some kind of social experiment. Now it's about looking Snappy and doing the mission with Style.

RetroRevolver77
05-16-17, 09:27
The beret looks absolutely stupid, like some participation trophy or something.

KalashniKEV
05-16-17, 09:57
The beret looks absolutely stupid, like some participation trophy or something.

The Beret was designed to solve the late-90's problem of fatter, less skilled soldiers just going through the motions without a major foe to prepare for.

It didn't work- because you can still be fat and unskilled in a French hat- even when an existential threat to the United States of America arises.

This new/old pinks-and-greens uniform will tie our current forever-war, with no clear objectives or desired endstate, with a time when the American fighting-man battled true evil... in a race to the capital, where he would take down the enemy flag, and replace it with our own, declaring victory and returning home to parades and curvaceous women in dresses and skirts who would line up publicly for aggressive-make-out, and share drinks from hip-flasks they carried in their garters.

It might work... we have to switch it first and see though...

WillBrink
05-16-17, 10:06

Well at least they have their priorities straight!

26 Inf
05-16-17, 10:14
Any chance this is just the SGMA trying to make his mark?

Why not bring the greens back and be done with it?

SOWT
05-16-17, 10:55
I had to read it a couple times. At first it read like satire.

Holy cow, are any of the services going to go 5 years without a uniform change of some sort??

Marines

interfan
05-16-17, 12:12
This new/old pinks-and-greens uniform will tie our current forever-war, with no clear objectives or desired endstate, with a time when the American fighting-man battled true evil... in a race to the capital, where he would take down the enemy flag, and replace it with our own, declaring victory and returning home to parades and curvaceous women in dresses and skirts who would line up publicly for aggressive-make-out, and share drinks from hip-flasks they carried in their garters.

It might work... we have to switch it first and see though...

Not to divert the thread, but the guys running the show have a clear objective. The problem is that the show isn't run by the Pentagon, the White House, or even Congress, the forever war is run out of this building:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/armstrongeconomics-wp/2014/05/Federal-Reserve-DC.jpg

Averageman
05-16-17, 12:22
The real sad thing about the who issue is that where the rubber meets the road, our servicemen are getting screwed here.

turnburglar
05-16-17, 12:28
Heck, go for it. Now if the USAF would just get rid of that "insurance salesman" Class A look:

I was dripping in pussy after graduating basic... Seems like a good uniform to me. :P

If the Navy has a couple dozen dress uniforms I don't see why the Army can't just add one.

Averageman
05-16-17, 12:35
If the Navy has a couple dozen dress uniforms I don't see why the Army can't just add one.
Because someone has to pay for this stuff and it's going to be the equivalent of about three years worth of uniform allowances.
It gets rather old every time someone new gets in the food chain and decides to change uniform policy and everyone has to go down and pony up the cash out of pocket to be in regulation. Clothing Sales will be about six months behind in getting the stuff and a year behind getting it in the sizes the Soldiers need.
But there is always one smart ass who decides you "need" to have it tomorrow....

SteyrAUG
05-16-17, 13:16

Just hope they also bring back the Ike jacket, I could use a new one.

TAZ
05-16-17, 15:43
Wow. I'm thankful to note that we have solved all the other problems associated with keeping a large fighting force properly staffed and trained to go kill anything/anyone on the planet who becomes a threat to the USA. Now we can get down to the nitty gritty of what color and style of pant they will wear.

Averageman
05-16-17, 15:53
Wow. I'm thankful to note that we have solved all the other problems associated with keeping a large fighting force properly staffed and trained to go kill anything/anyone on the planet who becomes a threat to the USA. Now we can get down to the nitty gritty of what color and style of pant they will wear.

My thoughts exactly.
So everyone's OR rate must be 100%, every weapon in every arms room in perfect condition, every oil level in every vehicle...... Now lets talk slacks Gentlemen, who wants new pants?

I remember a Soldier using his black Beret to wipe the transmission dip stick and announcing "I found a use for it !"
I didn't have the heart, really, I just turned away and chuckled....

Leonidas24
05-16-17, 16:13
My thoughts exactly.
So everyone's OR rate must be 100%, every weapon in every arms room in perfect condition, every oil level in every vehicle...... Now lets talk slacks Gentlemen, who wants new pants?

I remember a Soldier using his black Beret to wipe the transmission dip stick and announcing "I found a use for it !"
I didn't have the heart, really, I just turned away and chuckled....

I did, to a certain extent enjoy wearing a beret when I was in (07-10) only because of the regimental insignia. In 2008 the Army started moving towards the idea of the combined arms battalion, and in that same year ACo 1-2IN was attached to 3-66AR in USAG Grafenwohr. It was nice to have the regimental insignia, because it separated us from our slower, and dumber, armor step-brothers. Case in point: M1 driver gets transmission fluid in his eyes during a PMCS of his tank; result: entire battalion now has to wear eye-protection whenever in uniform, including morning PT.

Wake27
05-16-17, 16:41
Some of you guys that haven't been in for a while (or ever) may want to familiarize yourselves with SMA Dailey. He has absolutely no need to "leave his mark" and if he did, it's already been done. He and the CSA have are some of the most straight-forward guys we've had in either of those positions in a long time and have done a lot of good. I'm not a fan of extra uniforms and don't know how I feel about the look of it but he's right, there needs to be another layer between the ACU and ASU. Hopefully this replaces the Bs, because that thing is just a pain in the ass. I envy the Marines for upholding the tradition of their uniform for so long. Hopefully we get there too. But the black beret needs to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
05-16-17, 18:03
I used to be concerned about changing the mission from killing people and blowing up things to some kind of social experiment. Now it's about looking Snappy and doing the mission with Style.

Marines have been doing both for over 2 centuries.

ABNAK
05-16-17, 18:15
Marines have been doing both for over 2 centuries.

What color is the shiny armor they wear while riding on their dashing white chargers?

But seriously, why the Army went to blues as the general issue dress uniform is beyond me. Looks like you rode out of the Civil War or the Old West. Even the Marines use their greens for general issue dress and the blues, while more "well known", aren't general issue. Army should have stuck with the dress greens like back in the day. And the beret? Used to be just for SF, Ranger, and Airborne status. I have to admit though that the Rangers' current tan beret looks better than the black one used to, more fitting (doesn't the SAS wear tan berets?).

TexHill
05-16-17, 18:25

This!

Slater
05-16-17, 19:09
I was dripping in pussy after graduating basic... Seems like a good uniform to me. :P

The USAF actually USED to have a Class A uniform that looked, well, like a military uniform. CSAF McPeak was way before your time (probably) but you can thank him for the current design. I retired in the previous design that had epaulets and four front pockets.

26 Inf
05-16-17, 20:04
What color is the shiny armor they wear while riding on their dashing white chargers?

And the beret? Used to be just for SF, Ranger, and Airborne status. I have to admit though that the Rangers' current tan beret looks better than the black one used to, more fitting (doesn't the SAS wear tan berets?).

I always thought that when the Army went to the feel good berets they should have gone more of the British order of things - Maroon - Airborne; Sand/Tan - Rangers; Brown - Infantry; Grey - Armor/Cav; Dark Blue - Arty; Lighter Blue - Aviation; Black - everyone else.

Berets, absolutely no freaking utility whatsoever, other than taking up space in a cargo pocket.

Leonidas24
05-16-17, 21:20
I always thought that when the Army went to the feel good berets they should have gone more of the British order of things - Maroon - Airborne; Sand/Tan - Rangers; Brown - Infantry; Grey - Armor/Cav; Dark Blue - Arty; Lighter Blue - Aviation; Black - everyone else.

Berets, absolutely no freaking utility whatsoever, other than taking up space in a cargo pocket.

Yellow is traditionally cav, no? Can you imagine a bunch of Scouts running around with bumble-bee yellow berets?

Wake27
05-17-17, 00:45
Yellow is traditionally cav, no? Can you imagine a bunch of Scouts running around with bumble-bee yellow berets?

Absolutely. Pink would be even more fitting. Air cav excluded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26 Inf
05-17-17, 11:16

I was thinking of 'grey ghosts' a la JEB Stuart in the old 'GI Combat' comis books about 'The Haunted Tank.'

But, they could wear yellow ascots, I mean, whatever they want to validate themselves.

Hank6046
05-17-17, 20:10

^^^Right?!?! Why can't we spend money on training...

usmcvet
05-17-17, 21:36

That the only good thing I saw in the photo.

qsy
05-18-17, 09:02
Absolutely. Pink would be even more fitting. Air cav excluded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually it used to be an Air Cav color. Back in the day, the helicopter gunships were "red", scout helicopters were "white". A pair of AH-1G's was referred to as a "red team", a pair of OH-6's a "white team", and a hunter-killer operation (AH-1G and an OH-6) a "pink team". The aero-rifle platoon rode in UH-1's and were referred to as "blues".