PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" mid

ty50
05-16-17, 17:44
:confused:
It appears that a 11.5" midlength is not a good idea as opposed to Carbine.
As for 11.5", that's all Faxon had. I understand the cons to the midlenth after doing some reading.
Should I send my newly bought Faxon mid 11.5" back and go with carbine? I'm sticking with the 11.5"

Thanx

JulyAZ
05-16-17, 17:50
Deleted

tom12.7
05-16-17, 18:05
The 11.5" 5.56 AR base can work well with a mid length gas system when ported for a can only. Porting for usage without a can would fall into a much smaller span of usage. Adding a can to a mid length ported barrel that was intended to run without a can results in a very over gassed system. Very similar similar to adding inches in simulated barrel length when used with the can.

ty50
05-16-17, 18:28
I appreciate the straight up answer, and the fact you left any smartass bullshit out is appreciated as well.
I'm building an SBR with intentions of using a can. I willl simply dedicate my current suppressor to this build.
Thank you.

tom12.7
05-16-17, 18:38
Too many would tend to over gas this combination, just make sure that your end result doesn't fall into this category.

tommyrott
05-16-17, 19:58
You need to use an adjustable to get it to run soft, out of the gate the faxon is way over gassed to run a can with out adjustment, mine hammers the buffer if I put it on six usely keep it on 3 with an H2 A-5

Dionysusigma
05-16-17, 20:36
5.56? Or .300BLK?

scooter22
05-16-17, 21:05
Get a carbine...

feraldog
05-17-17, 09:36
i run my faxon 11.5 middy with a SA bleed-off adjustable gas block and AAC can. it does well.

Rayrevolver
05-17-17, 09:47
Lots to read on the topic:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173315-11-5%94-Mid-Length-Barrel-Discussion

You would be more conservative with an 11.5" carbine gas. The BCM 11.5 ELW was not available when I bought the Faxon, however I think I would have gone the 11.5 Mid route anyways since my usage is 100% suppressed and I wanted to fiddle a little.

tom12.7
05-17-17, 18:09
A dedicated suppressed only mid length gassed 11.5" AR is a valid combination with most full sized cans and proper porting for those.

themonk
05-17-17, 19:24
I am interested to hear how it shoots. SLR gas blocks are outstanding if you need to go the adjustable route.

RobertTheTexan
05-18-17, 06:52
:confused:
It appears that a 11.5" midlength is not a good idea as opposed to Carbine.
As for 11.5", that's all Faxon had. I understand the cons to the midlenth after doing some reading.
Should I send my newly bought Faxon mid 11.5" back and go with carbine? I'm sticking with the 11.5"

Thanx

Did you consider Daniel Defense's 11.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feraldog
05-19-17, 14:28
Did you consider Daniel Defense's 11.5?

DD makes great barrels.

i have a DDM4V4 (11.5" carb length, with their pinned fixed gas block). works great without can. with can its overgassed, so recoils more and gets very dirty very quickly. even adding a H3 buffer and Sprinco Red isn't enough to cure it.

OTOH, if matched with a good adjustable gas block it might be perfect, although heavier than the faxon.

RobertTheTexan
05-19-17, 15:08
DD makes great barrels.

OTOH, if matched with a good adjustable gas block it might be perfect, although heavier than the faxon.

I chose DD for my 11.5 build with an SLR S7 adjustable GB. So hopefully it runs well with the can. Whenever my can gains its freedom that is.

feraldog
05-19-17, 16:37
I chose DD for my 11.5 build with an SLR S7 adjustable GB. So hopefully it runs well with the can. Whenever my can gains its freedom that is.

sounds like a winner, robert. now its just the wait....

tom12.7
05-19-17, 17:33
If you want a carbine gassed 11.5" 5.56 upper that works well with or without a can, why not just use a KAC MOD2 upper Vs an over gassed base with a band aid adjustable gas? Most just need a simple buffer swap for what is considered a swap that is pretty much dedicated either way?

scooter22
05-19-17, 17:35
If you want a carbine gassed 11.5" 5.56 upper that works well with or without a can, why not just use a KAC MOD2 upper Vs an over gassed base with a band aid adjustable gas? Most just need a simple buffer swap for what is considered a swap that is pretty much dedicated either way?

Although I think the Mod 2 has the smallest GP available, don't you think a cut-down/custom barrel with a smaller GP is potentially better?

This is assuming running full-power 5.56

tom12.7
05-19-17, 17:47
Yes, you can tailer it much better for the intended usage for a group as a whole and eliminate many other variables.

RobertTheTexan
05-19-17, 17:47
sounds like a winner, robert. now its just the wait....

FD,
I was pondering your comment when this thought struck me:

A woman can get pregnant and grow a human being inside her belly faster than it takes our government to approve a tax stamp for my next SBR or my can.

If that isn't the epitome of a soup sandwich with a side of FUBAR, I'm not sure what is. I've been waiting 11 months for my SBR stamps, I guess I was really, really fortunate or blessed when my first one was four months. I think I'm going to come up with a list of really complicated things you can do within the time it takes to get a stamp....

Sorry for the digression.

That KAC Mod 2 w/ MAMS is really a nice upper. When I built my 11.5 I didn't really think I was going to suppress it. Still not 100%, but the adj. GB was a just in case.

scooter22
05-19-17, 17:49
Yes, you can tailer it much better for the intended usage for a group as a whole and eliminate many other variables.

What would you say is the optimum GP diameter for an 11.5" carbine mostly suppressed + Vltor A5H3/H4?

0.067?

RobertTheTexan
05-19-17, 17:51
Scooter did you see this? It's not 11.5, but it's got a good gas port size. I know JW, he is GTG 110%.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?195165-Another-drop!-11-0-quot-Aero-Barreled-Upper-cut-by-Mr-Pitts-with-URX4-Mlok-rail-DD-buis

scooter22
05-19-17, 17:53
Scooter did you see this? It's not 11.5, but it's got a good gas port size. I know JW, he is GTG 110%.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?195165-Another-drop!-11-0-quot-Aero-Barreled-Upper-cut-by-Mr-Pitts-with-URX4-Mlok-rail-DD-buis

I've seen it and spoken to him about it. Would be neat, but I don't have a need for a dedicated suppressed gun right now.

Thanks for lookin out!

tom12.7
05-19-17, 18:49
If you think that a simple SBR is consuming, look at the US Patent office.

Jwknutson17
05-20-17, 20:43
What would you say is the optimum GP diameter for an 11.5" carbine mostly suppressed + Vltor A5H3/H4?

0.067?

When your able to select a gas port size, I would want that buffer mass to be a A5H2 base system. I do not prefer to use heavier weights unless there is another issue in the system to baindaid it with a heavier buffer. The most when suppressed in smaller port barrels I will run is the A5H3, and I personally do not want to run the A4 weight for any reason in a properly ported barrel... really you should have no need to even suppressed. And the A4 feels much worse in my opinion.

.067 should work well for your needs to run without a can. Your ammo choice may allow you to run this port smaller with excellent results. Using a A5H2 and a Colt rifle spring is what I would choose for that unsuppressed base. And from my findings running quality ammo, I would just cut down a 12.5 Centurion barrel to 11.5 and that has a .065 gas port. That's what I would do if building a 11.5 right now. With running quality 5.56 ammo, using a A5H2 and a Colt spring, you will be happy with that combo. And when suppressed if you desired, toss in an A5H3 as that will lend excellent results with that setup.

I also want to point out that not every barrel with a set port size runs the same. These are some of my findings from barrels I have run and may not be the same for all.

RobertTheTexan
05-20-17, 21:28
If you think that a simple SBR is consuming, look at the US Patent office.

Tom,
I can't even imagine how long it takes to have a patent approved. I would guess years, as in "several" years.
Good thing Henry Ford and the likes of him weren't faced with such FUBAR bureaucratic incompetence or we'd still be using prairie schooners.

tom12.7
05-21-17, 08:04
When your able to select a gas port size, I would want that buffer mass to be a A5H2 base system. I do not prefer to use heavier weights unless there is another issue in the system to baindaid it with a heavier buffer. The most when suppressed in smaller port barrels I will run is the A5H3, and I personally do not want to run the A4 weight for any reason in a properly ported barrel... really you should have no need to even suppressed. And the A4 feels much worse in my opinion.

.067 should work well for your needs to run without a can. Your ammo choice may allow you to run this port smaller with excellent results. Using a A5H2 and a Colt rifle spring is what I would choose for that unsuppressed base. And from my findings running quality ammo, I would just cut down a 12.5 Centurion barrel to 11.5 and that has a .065 gas port. That's what I would do if building a 11.5 right now. With running quality 5.56 ammo, using a A5H2 and a Colt spring, you will be happy with that combo. And when suppressed if you desired, toss in an A5H3 as that will lend excellent results with that setup.

I also want to point out that not every barrel with a set port size runs the same. These are some of my findings from barrels I have run and may not be the same for all.

Pretty much this.

tom12.7
05-21-17, 08:05
Tom,
I can't even imagine how long it takes to have a patent approved. I would guess years, as in "several" years.
Good thing Henry Ford and the likes of him weren't faced with such FUBAR bureaucratic incompetence or we'd still be using prairie schooners.

Yeah, many years and lots of money.