PDA

View Full Version : Build tools

Voodoochild
10-20-06, 22:09
So what tools would I need to build my first AR. So far I have an armorer's tool and a stock wrench. I need to pick up one of the DPMS recevier claw's but what else would I need?

MudBug
10-20-06, 22:47
AR15 Punch Set (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Punch-Set-p/tool%20ar15%20punch%20set.htm)

Snake RAH
10-20-06, 23:46
I have:

combo wrench (Bushmaster's, but the Olympic is better)
buttstock wrench (the three lug model)
torque wrench (from Sears...foot pounds)
Starrett punches (1/16" and 3/32" are most useful)
armorer's block (big green block of delrin)
front sight block (very handy for removing taper pins)
rear sight tool (for removal/installation of A2 sights)
pliers
small gunsmith screwdriver and hexhead set
2 small hammers (one is a nylon tipped one, the other a small ball peen)
Peace River upper receiver block (better than the BM one I got at first)
lower receiver magwell block
punch for gas tube roll pin
Lyman roll pin punches
Adco roll pin starters
barrel vise blocks (never use them...waste of money for me)
bottle of Kroil (a must)
a decent vise (Home Depot)
A1 sight adjustment tool (A1 front sights have 5 notches)
A2 sight adjustment tool (A2 front sights have 4 notches)
Forster headspace gauges (go, no go, field)
ruptured case extractor
USGI cleaning kit
lithium grease
Bushmaster delrin punch/pivot pin detent installation tool (rather handy, though Brownell's makes a better one)
firing pin protrusion guage (Brownell's or Bushmaster...doesn't matter)
bolt scraper
small magnet (for holding on to small roll pins and such)

I need to add a concave center punch when I find one. It helps on the taper pins of the front sight base.

You can get away with less, because several of the tools are specialized (A2 rear sight tool) and don't get used very often. The best way is to buy your own as you go.

Tools I didn't find useful or worth the price:

bolt disassembly tool (I can remove/install the ejector without it)
barrel vise blocks (they mark up the barrel)
USGI armorer's wrench (the small square one)

AR-15A3
10-21-06, 11:56
Here are the tools I have to build my three carbines and one rifle.

armorers wrench (from Bravo Co.)
free float handguard wrench with three pins (used for my FF handguard)
action block with center support (from Bravo Co.)
upper holder - holds upper with 2 pins of takedown pin holes (ADCO)
AR-15 punch set (Bravo Co.)
gas tube pin punch (ADCO)
Front Sight Base cradle level + sling swivel rivet installation tool (ADCO)
high density plastic pivot/ takedown punch (ADCO)
AR handguard remover tool (not required if you have a helper)
pivot push pin installation tool (I also used a regular punch)
carbine buttstock wrench (old style one lug type)
brass hammer (from ADCO)
gun screwdriver set (Chapman Mfg. Co., Durham, Conn.)
go, no-go, field headspace gauges
Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) lubricant (for barrel nuts - from Bushmaster)
Tetra gun grease
Break-Free CLP lubricant

Tools from my tool box/ garage:

punch set
large pliers
medium pliers
small pliers
plastic/ rubber hammer
open end wrenches
screwdriver set
hex wrench long set
torque wrench - foot pounds
small and large strap wrench (Sears for FF handguard ring)
plastic-nylon widget (about 0.050" thick, 3/8 wide, 6" long)
large hammer (for FSB taper pins)
medium size bench vise
blue and red Loctite
masking/ electrical/ duct tape (to protect your receivers finish when installing pins)

Note: some of the tools listed here may not be required and some could be substituted with household items such as 2X4 wood, plywood, thick cloth, leather, plastic, rubber, metal materials, etc.

Tip: Have extra detent pins and you could use a clear plastic bag when you're installing your pivot takedown pin detent pin to prevent it from flying off.

Robb Jensen
10-21-06, 19:30
So what tools would I need to build my first AR. So far I have an armorer's tool and a stock wrench. I need to pick up one of the DPMS recevier claw's but what else would I need?

Just give me your stuff you need assembled bro, I don't charge.

Voodoochild
10-24-06, 08:54
yeah I will probably do just that Robb. But it would be nice to learn how to build one and take it apart if need be. which reminds me I need to get up there some time soon and figure out what Glock's I want. I am leaning towards a 19 for now and maybe a 26 around Christmas time.

Razoreye
11-04-06, 22:12
This guy is true to his word and rocks!! <shameless plug>

BTW, good thread. I need to get some of these tools.

AR15barrels
11-05-06, 02:29

From now on, I'll be sending you all my Stag barrels to remove the taper pins...

Robb Jensen
11-05-06, 05:07
From now on, I'll be sending you all my Stag barrels to remove the taper pins...

:D Those pins on my Stag/CMT barrel were the Evil Mother Of All Taper Pins! Luckily you were able to save it. You are the AR15 barrel Master!

Oh thanks for the Colt pin tool too. It's made easy work on two other barrels for removing the pins. Next time we send some barrels to you I'm going to buy some of those indexing shims. We'll be sending you 3 middy RRA bbls for reprofiling very soon.

I'm going to SHOT on Jan 13th and 14th will you be there then? Maybe we can meet up, I'll buy you a beer.

AR15barrels
11-05-06, 11:26
I'm going to SHOT on Jan 13th and 14th will you be there then? Maybe we can meet up, I'll buy you a beer.

I have not decided if I am going or not.
As time goes on, it's getting less and less likely.
There's always next year in Vegas...

rob_s
11-05-06, 11:36
I think I built my first complete lower with a cheap set of pins and crappy RRA stock wrench. The only extra you really need for the upper is the barrel wrench, and I started out using the POS GI version until I broke it trying to remove a goddamn LMT barrel that to this day I swear was installed with red locktite.

Robb Jensen
11-05-06, 21:21
I have not decided if I am going or not.
As time goes on, it's getting less and less likely.
There's always next year in Vegas...

I'll be there then bro. In Jan I'm just lucky to go since it's in the same time zone as us and the flight is only about 2hrs so I get to go again, I'm going as both a employee of VA Arms and as 'Press' for M4Carbine.net. Next year is my normal turn to go. Vegas rocks.

CLHC
06-27-08, 16:25
I can appreciate on building one's own tools and all, but just wondering if the complete Armorer's Tools for the AR-15/M4 platform from either Brownells or MidwayUSA are worth considering? Of course I'm seeing that the price can be $$$~+$$$$! :eek:

RD62
06-27-08, 18:52
I can appreciate on building one's own tools and all, but just wondering if the complete Armorer's Tools for the AR-15/M4 platform from either Brownells or MidwayUSA are worth considering? Of course I'm seeing that the price can be $$$~+$$$$! :eek:

They are nice, but I think are kind of overkill unless you are maintaining a lot of rifles. I don't assemble A2 sights or remove forward assists, and I cross utilize alot of punches. I would pick and choose what I wanted from their list. But that's me.

-RD62

Dave L.
06-27-08, 19:06

I'm going through this at the moment. How I decided to save (some) money was:
decide exactly what you want to build down to the last little screw, then buy only the tools you need to complete the job.
Once you start small, add tools as you decide to build something new.

The brownells kit has lots of stuff you don't need in it. That kit is great if you are an armorer traveling to another country. You don't need to spend $20 on a hand guard removal tool if you are only taking off one set of hand guards (may hurt the fingers a little but you deal with it).
I am not installing a front sight base so I have no need for the front sight jig (yet).
I chose to do a DD low pro gas block with 12.0 rail over it (I'll be using troy sights).
You get the my idea...

CLHC
06-27-08, 20:09
They are nice, but I think are kind of overkill unless you are maintaining a lot of rifles.. . .I cross utilize alot of punches. I would pick and choose what I wanted from their list.

Yes indeed they're nice, but in my case not needed.

How I decided to save (some) money was:
decide exactly what you want to build. . ., then buy only the tools you need to complete the job.
Once you start small, add tools as you decide to build something new.

The Brownells kit has lots of stuff you don't need in it. That kit is great if you are an armorer traveling to another country. You don't need to spend $20 on a hand guard removal tool if you are only taking off one set of hand guards (may hurt the fingers a little but you deal with it).

You get the my idea. . .
Gotcha! That'll be something to spend close to $2000.00 and then find out I'm only using the punches? :D

Going to start off little by little and only what I need for my uses.

Thanks Guys!

AR15barrels
06-28-08, 15:16

Start with the basics, but buy the best of each tool.

DPMS Claw upper receiver block.
DPMS or Smith barrel nut wrench.
Starrett pin punches, drive punches and a center punch for staking.
If you are doing a lot of lowers, you will want roll pin holders.
Brownells ejector removal tool is good.
1.4736" field reject geadspce gauge.
Various small hardwood blocks make great bench blocks for supporting things while driving pins or staking.

There are lots of specialized barrel nut wrenches for specific brands you will add as you get tasked to install them.

Here are some of my tools (many changes since that picture was taken):

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/tools.jpg

Iraqgunz
06-28-08, 18:12
Personally there is a lot of fluff in there and I think you could do better. IIRC, the headspace gauges in there are for .223 barrels and not 5.56. Milspec Field headspace gauges are 1.4730 not 1.4736.

CLHC
06-28-08, 19:04
Start with the basics, but buy the best of each tool.
+1 I have to agree.

DPMS Claw upper receiver block.
DPMS or Smith barrel nut wrench.
Starrett pin punches, drive punches and a center punch for staking.
If you are doing a lot of lowers, you will want roll pin holders.
Brownells ejector removal tool is good.
1.4736" field reject geadspce gauge.
Various small hardwood blocks make great bench blocks for supporting things while driving pins or staking.

Personally there is a lot of fluff in there and I think you could do better. IIRC, the headspace gauges in there are for .223 barrels and not 5.56. Milspec Field headspace gauges are 1.4730 not 1.4736.
Well, there it is, from those in the know. I would have never known about the "headspace gauge." Now I know.

There are lots of specialized barrel nut wrenches for specific brands you will add as you get tasked to install them.
Looking at your tools in the photo posted has now made clear to me about the "barrel nut wrenches." I'm not an armorer, but seeing those different wrenches made me wonder, doesn't one do it all? I've learned that's not the case. Seems they're tailor specific.

Again, Thanks for the advice and recommendations! :cool:

AR15barrels
06-29-08, 01:22
Military uses a 1/4730 gauge.
Colt uses the 1.4736" gauge.
0.0006" won't matter either way.

More on headspace gauge dimensions here:
www.ar15barrels.com/data/headspace.pdf

CLHC
03-15-09, 00:56
Okay, bringing this thread back up again. It's been awhile, but just wondering if this particular "Maintenance Field Pack" would be a good buy for "basic" tools for the AR-15/M4?

< M16/M4 Maintenance Field Pack (http://www.optactical.com/brm1mafipa.html) >

I've got some tools, but not the "basic" ones that AR15barrels pictured. I need to get on the ball here. :o

polydeuces
01-04-24, 15:52
Ok - necro-thread revive.....
Long story short - Just did my first FSB taper pins remove and install job.
Building an A2 rifle, had to change hand guard caps.
With the Wheeler bench block and a bit of research on 'how to', job it was shockingly easy.

Proving the point that the correct tools for the job witht he right instruction make it easy if not at least do-able.

Would like to see if it is possible to sticky this thread, and add info since it been a while.
Thanks.

titsonritz
01-04-24, 18:13
Long story short - Just did my first FSB taper pins remove and install job.
Building an A2 rifle, had to change hand guard caps.
With the Wheeler bench block and a bit of research on 'how to', job it was shockingly easy.

Proving the point that the correct tools for the job witht he right instruction make it easy if not at least do-able.

Would like to see if it is possible to sticky this thread, and add info since it been a while.
Thanks.

IG didn’t care for bench blocks for FSB removal, his method is described in the link below in post #7. I’ve used it multiple times and it works like a charm.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172822-Remove-and-reinstall-front-sight&highlight=taper

556Cliff
01-05-24, 13:13
IG didn’t care for bench blocks for FSB removal, his method is described in the link below in post #7. I’ve used it multiple times and it works like a charm.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172822-Remove-and-reinstall-front-sight&highlight=taper

IG was right as usual. After he described his method I started doing it that way and it's worked great for me. Way better than the FSB bench blocks.

Reinstalling the pins in the below pictures, but the set up is the same for removal, just with the other side of the FSB facing up.

https://i.imgur.com/a5Y8J07l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I4eMB22l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VZEZKrKl.jpg

I've been using big brass rounds to get them started though, harder to damage anything with them.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8Z0y8gl.jpg

SeriousStudent
01-05-24, 19:09

Thanks.

Done. Good idea. Pretty cool to read the names in this thread.

Robb installed a DD rail on a 6920 for me, and only charged me a bottle of nice tequila. :laugh: