PDA

View Full Version : M4 and Scope + Rain

cf98354
05-17-17, 11:35
I'm looking for some advice. I was planning on shooting today but the weather has decided to take a turn for the worse and has brought me light rain. My question is if I shoot will this hurt my rifle or scope? The rifle is a Sig Sauer M4 and the scope is a Nikon Pro Staff.

Jwknutson17
05-17-17, 11:43
I'm looking for some advice. I was planning on shooting today but the weather has decided to take a turn for the worse and has brought me light rain. My question is if I shoot will this hurt my rifle or scope? The rifle is a Sig Sauer M4 and the scope is a Nikon Pro Staff.

You are good to go. Just wipe everything down afterwards, and re-lube the rifle before storing.

mdram
if it does, its time for a new scope anyway
just clean/dry everything when your done

KyAR1
I very much doubt it. The rifle is based off of a battlefield proven weapon and as long as you wipe the steel parts down with oil after drying you should be fine.

The scope,if property sealed will withstand the rain just fine. Plenty of people have hunted in the rain for years with scopes and been fine.

I can't tell you how many times I have shot NRA National Match Service Rifle match in the rain! The weapon functioned just fine, sometimes maybe the shooter not so much!

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

TaterTot
05-17-17, 13:55
This is a joke right?

RetroRevolver77
05-17-17, 14:47
A true combat weapon should be able to fire submerged or partially submerged in water.

So I'm sure that an AR should at least be able to fire in the rain.

3 AE
05-17-17, 15:33
Here, Use this:

https://www.amazon.com/ANSAN-Umbrella-Windproof-Birdcage-Camouflage/dp/B01M72ZVOP/ref=sr_1_6/143-9424967-9723621?ie=UTF8&qid=1495052945&sr=8-6&keywords=helmet+umbrella

:cool:

T2C
05-17-17, 15:34
I had a Pro Staff scope on a bolt action rifle. I would not be uncomfortable about shooting any M4 copy and a Pro Staff in the rain.

TomMcC
05-17-17, 15:40
And when you're done shooting in the rain and are going to dry your lenses.......be careful. I don't know your level of knowledge concerning scope lens cleaning, but it's real easy to mess up your lenses if you're not careful.

Inkslinger
05-17-17, 15:50
Just put the whole thing in a bag of rice when you're done.

sasquatchoslav
05-17-17, 17:26
Don't ever go out in the rain!!! The rifle will seize up and the scope will crack if you get them wet. Good thing you asked b/c this is how accidents happen. Also make sure your ammo stays b/t 68.62 and 83.44 degrees F to resist cooking off rounds.

turnburglar
05-17-17, 17:39
Yea, we don't military when its raining. Gotta wait till noon on a cloudless day to kill bad guys.

1_click_off
05-17-17, 21:35
I just snap a balloon over the muzzle to prevent water from going down barrel in rain. I have been caught out in sleet, rain etc and the worse I ever did was forget to empty my mag and the rounds in it corroded a little. They were green, but still went bang. Have a T1 with a G33 STS, but most scopes handle water just fine.

Eurodriver
05-17-17, 21:49
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?195444-This-forum-would-be-boring-if-we-all-just-bought-Colts-(and-Magpul-and-Surefire)/page3

You people...

1_click_off
05-17-17, 21:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?195444-This-forum-would-be-boring-if-we-all-just-bought-Colts-(and-Magpul-and-Surefire)/page3

You people are lame.

Maybe so, but I had a way to clean my sport bike wheels. Actually still do, just don't have the sportbike.

Hank6046
05-17-17, 22:00

It ain't rainin' you ain't training.. shoot the piss out of that rifle.

Eurodriver
05-17-17, 22:02
Maybe so, but I had a way to clean my sport bike wheels. Actually still do, just don't have the sportbike.

You weren't included in the "you people" ;) and I removed the lame part anyway as it wasn't constructive.

"You people" references the recent trolls blowing up the board.

26 Inf
05-17-17, 22:18
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C19US6rqqAo

TaterTot
05-17-17, 22:57
If shit like this keeps popping up on the forum the next thing I'm going to expect is a marriage announcement from Euro..

Hank6046
05-17-17, 23:03
If shit like this keeps popping up on the forum the next thing I'm going to expect is a marriage announcement from Euro..

Bout time that guy came out of the closet anyway...

Stickman
05-17-17, 23:17
A true combat weapon should be able to fire submerged or partially submerged in water.

Please stop posting if you are passing along information like this.

jpmuscle
05-17-17, 23:25
I think your a couple weeks late to the party on that one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

glocke12
05-18-17, 04:38
Rain-x...

T2C
05-18-17, 05:17
Rain-x...

I have gotten away with using Rain X, but it could cause problems with coated lenses so I stopped suggesting it.

1_click_off
05-18-17, 06:15
You weren't included in the "you people" ;) and I removed the lame part anyway as it wasn't constructive.

"You people" references the recent trolls blowing up the board.

We cool. I just wish the mobile app would show the post counts of users like the full site does. You are an expert troll hunter, I still need cheat mode to see post counts.

Lefty223
05-18-17, 08:36
I'm sorry ... that rifle & scope just won't work for you unless it is warm and sunny out. Just send it to me and I'll take care of it! Then you can take up golf and you can golf in the rain ... just watch out for thumderstorms and lightening.

Do this ... and you'll be good to go! :rolleyes:

Jwknutson17
05-18-17, 08:55
I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt as maybe he just bought a rifle and scope and has no knowledge of the capabilities of said gear. Got to start somewhere. So before I say troll, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

VIP3R 237
05-18-17, 09:27
I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt as maybe he just bought a rifle and scope and has no knowledge of the capabilities of said gear. Got to start somewhere. So before I say troll, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly, lets leave the sarcastic shenannies to TOS.

T2C
05-18-17, 16:21

Valid point.

mark5pt56
05-19-17, 05:49
Alright, look, he's a new member and may not know and is asking for help. Don't attack him and simply provide some advice. You all had your fun so be done with it.

sasquatchoslav
05-19-17, 05:54
Alright, look, he's a new member and may not know and is asking for help. Don't attack him and simply provide some advice. You all had your fun so be done with it.

'attacking'? Good grief it's a little ball busting and he gets the idea firearms are meant to be used in all kinds of weather. I doubt he's a snowflake running for a safe space over these 'attacks'.

mark5pt56
05-19-17, 06:14
'attacking'? Good grief it's a little ball busting and he gets the idea firearms are meant to be used in all kinds of weather. I doubt he's a snowflake running for a safe space over these 'attacks'.

You should get the point and it's not debatable.

1_click_off
05-19-17, 22:37
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?188081-Shooting-in-the-rain-AAR-a-case-for-KISS&highlight=Shooting+in+rain

OP, you will get pounded here for not using the search function. I read for about 2 years before I even signed up. If you have a question, be sure to search it out first, it will save you the headache.

They have lightened up some from 2006 era when I first started poking around. You can spend hours a day as a sponge soaking up the knowledge here.

Tough place, but the juice is worth the squeeze.

vicious_cb
05-20-17, 15:05
Simple, buy a product called cat crap(it's really what they call it), spray some on your lens before you hit the range and stop worrying.

Jpoe88
05-20-17, 15:12
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?188081-Shooting-in-the-rain-AAR-a-case-for-KISS&highlight=Shooting+in+rain

OP, you will get pounded here for not using the search function. I read for about 2 years before I even signed up. If you have a question, be sure to search it out first, it will save you the headache.

They have lightened up some from 2006 era when I first started poking around. You can spend hours a day as a sponge soaking up the knowledge here.

Tough place, but the juice is worth the squeeze.

Yep. All of it. I've been away for about a year from here and it's the same. I'd rather post dumb questions here than TOS because here I am likely to get an informed answer whereas a mall ninja'd answer on TOS.

TomMcC
05-20-17, 19:49
Simple, buy a product called cat crap(it's really what they call it), spray some on your lens before you hit the range and stop worrying.

I looked this stuff up. For the most part it sounds good, but I was a bit concerned about the "polish lenses" part. As I'm sure you already know lens coatings are bit less than robust, How has this stuff worked out for you in that regard?

1_click_off
05-20-17, 23:14
I looked this stuff up. For the most part it sounds good, but I was a bit concerned about the "polish lenses" part. As I'm sure you already know lens coatings are bit less than robust, How has this stuff worked out for you in that regard?

I have used it on motorcycle helmets and safety glasses with fair results. Only time I have had my factory scope coating defeated is when I have taken my rifle from indoors or out of the truck into an uncontrolled environment (outdoors).

If you can seal the ends of the scope while it warms to ambient temps (bikini cover or similar) you will have much less fogging.

I used to do this with cameras and electronics. Place in a plastic sealed ziplock bag and keep sealed until warmed up to temps. This prevents an exposed cool place for water to condensate.

vicious_cb
05-22-17, 09:03

I don't know what they mean by polish but it's nothing abrasive. It just puts a thin barrier on top of the glass like rainx for your scope. It comes off with some eye glass cleaner.

TomMcC
05-22-17, 10:36
Thanks guys