PDA

View Full Version : USSOCOM to look at supplements and drugs for SOF

WillBrink
05-19-17, 11:52
Note: This is very much in my lane. If anyone has a contact at USSOCOM, I'd like to make contact with the person in bold. Please PM me if that's something you can assist with. Thanx

TAMPA, Fla. — Special Operations Command wants to create super-soldiers through pushing the limits of human performance, and is looking to nutritional supplements and even performance enhancing drugs as options.

America’s elite operators already have access to the kinds of fitness and performance resources available to a pro football player with dietitians, athletic trainers and physical therapists embedded with the units. But U.S. Special Operations Command is looking to go even further, pushing operators to increase pain tolerance, injury prevention and recovery, and physical performance in austere environments. SOCOM is looking to private industry and academia for ideas to get them there.

“If there are … different ways of training, different ways of acquiring performance that are non-material, that’s preferred but in a lot of cases we’ve exhausted those areas,” said Ben Chitty, senior project manager for biomedical, human performance and canine portfolios in the Science and Technology office at USSOCOM.

Chitty said some of the areas they are looking to push big leaps forward in human performance are in places where humans aren’t necessarily evolved to be at maximum capacity: at high altitude or underwater for extended periods of time without access to food or water, for example. One of the puzzles is how to have an operator who has been underwater for hours without sustenance still perform once he gets to the objective, Chitty explained.

Cont:

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/special-operations-command-wants-to-develop-super-soldiers

RetroRevolver77
05-19-17, 12:25
Then you got roid rage operators- not able to complete tasks while they rage on about creatine and cross fit while carrying gallon jugs of water around on missions.

WillBrink
05-19-17, 13:28
Then you got roid rage operators- not able to complete tasks while they rage on about creatine and cross fit while carrying gallon jugs of water around on missions.

So you're saying nothing will change then? :cool:

ABNAK
05-19-17, 14:45
Odd combo of an office: "Biomedical, human performance and canine portfolios"

Trying for super-dogs too?

WillBrink
05-19-17, 15:15
Odd combo of an office: "Biomedical, human performance and canine portfolios"

Trying for super-dogs too?

I could make a super dog, easily.

Campbell
05-20-17, 15:17
Very interesting story... btw, super dogs are readily available.

jpmuscle
05-20-17, 15:42
Where can I read more about this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
05-20-17, 18:45
I'm guessing performance enhancing drugs are already being used on canines. No laws against it, and the dogs need not adhere to UCMJ policy on drugs. Plus the handlers dictate the diet so the dogs get only a balanced high protein diet, and do whatever performance training the handler demands.

Probably several kennels full of roided out Malinois' and GSD's all pumped full of supplements.

jpmuscle
05-20-17, 18:58
I like everything about that.

Granted it's BS Fido can get gains and I can't. Dam gov gain killers...

I'll have to inquire as to what, if anything, my agency does with this with our bite dogs. I figured they were mostly just mood disordered neurotic psychopathy riddled Mals.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Averageman
05-20-17, 19:46
It would be experience that dogs respond a heck of a lot quicker to a high protein low fat diet a lot quicker than humans do.
I feed my dog raw chicken, hearts, livers, gizzards and necks. She is very muscular and very active for a dog that is nearly eight years old.
That Mutt eats better than most kids in the third world.

Nightvisionary
05-21-17, 06:41
WillBrink what supplements would you suggest for operating in a desert environment for a week at a time with little sleep, 4000 Ft elevation and temps from 100-115? I hydrate heavily with Nun energy, Camelbak Elixir and EmergenC but I live in the PNW at 200 feet so the acclimation process is always difficult. I took your advice that you posted about Creatine and that seems to be helping with my workout recovery.

WillBrink
05-21-17, 07:44
WillBrink what supplements would you suggest for operating in a desert environment for a week at a time with little sleep, 4000 Ft elevation and temps from 100-115? I hydrate heavily with Nun energy, Camelbak Elixir and EmergenC but I live in the PNW at 200 feet so the acclimation process is always difficult. I took your advice that you posted about Creatine and that seems to be helping with my workout recovery.

Perhaps L-tyrosine and beta alanine would be good additions for focus and endurance. You can see my discussion on Tyrosine in the Bomb Proof Coffee write up:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/the-science-of-bomb-proof-coffee/

I posted a number of studies on possible benefits of beta alanine for mil in the health/fitness section you can check out

SteyrAUG
05-21-17, 13:40

Just add a cape.

ABNAK
05-21-17, 18:47
Just add a cape.

I actually thought he meant chili, cheese, and onions!