PDA

View Full Version : Delete

RetroRevolver77
05-19-17, 16:20
deleted

leibermuster
05-19-17, 16:43
As a big HK416 supporter. I will say it is not necessary in most cases. As for right now that is a rumor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
05-19-17, 17:05
Definitely not. The Marine infantry is CONSIDERING issuing M27 IARs to everyone. But that's it.

mack7.62
05-19-17, 18:00
Well that and the new M110 is HK also.

joglee
05-20-17, 14:28
It will happen sooner than you think.

The M110CSASS is just the first step for the Army.

The Marines are on the verge. Suppressors are happening, and what does everyone always say?

When you have a suppressed full auto gun you need what? That's right...a piston.

eodinert
05-20-17, 14:46
Except nobody says that.

On HK pro, they say 'How do I get my 10.5 inch HK to run suppressed?'...then have 5 different gas blocks over the years to try and get them to run with/without suppressors.

vicious_cb
05-20-17, 15:02
No, and this isn't the place for rumint. Thats what GD is for.

joglee
05-20-17, 15:38
Except nobody says that.

On HK pro, they say 'How do I get my 10.5 inch HK to run suppressed?'...then have 5 different gas blocks over the years to try and get them to run with/without suppressors.

Larry Vickers has on numerous occasions said that.

Suppressed.
Full Auto.
Short barrel.

Any combination of 2 or more of the above is where piston guns exceed DI.

Torquetard
05-20-17, 16:13
Salient point, but

Any length- piston
Suppressed- piston
Loud- piston
Semi auto- piston
FA- piston
Range toy- piston
Duty- piston

Locutus
05-20-17, 17:32
Not sure if it's just rumors or they are actually switching- so figured I'd ask.

Having supported Marine Corps Systems Command from 1999 - 2006, my guess is that some project officer in the Infantry Weapons section had a woodie for H&K and now they are apparently arming two battalions with them as a test. At this point at least, it means nothing. They are gathering data; that does NOT mean that the Marine Corps has decided to switch and it's unlikely that they will unless the Army joins in because this is an extremely expensive undertaking.

The rumors about the Army switching to an intermediate cartridge (and the Corps would basically be forced to follow) seem to have more steam than this one...

tylerw02
05-20-17, 18:53
Salient point, but

Any length- piston
Suppressed- piston
Loud- piston
Semi auto- piston
FA- piston
Range toy- piston
Duty- piston

Bum****ery.

mooseman
05-22-17, 07:20
This. Aside from the M27 at the Corps and 416 over at SOCOM/JSOC I highly doubt it. Hell, H&Ks early selling point was 'you can just buy the upper and put it on your existing lower' and God only knows how many M16Ax, M4 and M4A1s are in the DOD system. I know in a recent study (by SOCOM I believe) they were looking to see if the benefits were worth it. There's also a study to see if they want to potentially move to midlength gas systems vs carbine for the M4A1+ or whatever they're calling it. Other studies are researching suppressors, ammo selection (MK262, MK318, M855A1 etc).
Regardless, the cost alone would probably prevent a complete switch unless something miraculous comes around.

On the other hand, the M9 is aging and was due for a replacement. It's not a knock against them, they've *mostly* held up extremely well in the past 30+ years but seeing one that shines from the finish wearing off is more common than not these days and many are rapidly approaching their end of life. For the cost of a replacement unit it makes sense that they decided to look at what is new and better since the adoption of the M9, most of which are likely cheaper. Not saying the 320 was necessarily the best choice, but the modular nature could work out for multiple roles.

Definitely not. The Marine infantry is CONSIDERING issuing M27 IARs to everyone. But that's it.

RetroRevolver77
05-22-17, 12:13
deleted

CharlieDeltaJuliet
05-22-17, 12:27
Except nobody says that.

HK has the A5 versions with adjustable gas blocks. As far as HK Pro, most have an MR556 with 16" barrel cut down to a 10.4" and try to run a 14.5"/16" gas block. HK made a variety of gas blocks, the vented 16"/14.5", the vented 10.4" , the non-vented 10.4", and now the adjustable on the 416A5. The guns run like a champ from HK. It is truly when people reconfigure them they aren't as reliable. I cannot vouche for most other piston guns. I owned a Sig 516 gen 2 and it was workhorse. I currently own a complete HK MR556 and a 416 upper. Both are what you expect from HK, boringly reliable. I don't see the military buying HK rifles, but I think the M4 is going to be replaced in the next decade or so.

Tspeis
05-22-17, 14:48
Except nobody says that.

With all due respect, your statement is a bit misleading. To add to CDJ's post, the real deal 416's don't have the issues you're referencing from HKPRO. I can't speak for the MR556 frankenguns some people try to build, but the select fire guns are a different story. My first hand exposure with 10.4" guns and SF cans has led me to conclude that aside from being a bit on the gassy side, they are very reliable with / without a can. The A5 variants are supposed to further address that. You run into issues when folks try to cut down a barrel with a certain sized gas port and expect a gas block intended for another barrel length / port size to work.

Do I think the next service rifle to replace the M4 in any branch will be the 416 / M27? No. Do I think the next service rifle will be a direct impingement gun? Also no.

Tspeis

F22raptor
05-25-17, 15:03
I wish HK would release one with a chrome lined barrel in upper or rifle form.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
05-25-17, 18:28

You and me both!

WickedWillis
05-25-17, 18:42

You and me both!

That makes 3 of us just in these last few posts. I really, really want an HK 416 SBR.

daniel87
05-25-17, 19:30
A 11.5 hk 416 upper... yes please

Chrome lined yes please

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

HKGuns
05-25-17, 21:44
With all due respect, your statement is a bit misleading. To add to CDJ's post, the real deal 416's don't have the issues you're referencing from HKPRO. I can't speak for the MR556 frankenguns some people try to build, but the select fire guns are a different story. My first hand exposure with 10.4" guns and SF cans has led me to conclude that aside from being a bit on the gassy side, they are very reliable with / without a can. The A5 variants are supposed to further address that. You run into issues when folks try to cut down a barrel with a certain sized gas port and expect a gas block intended for another barrel length / port size to work.

Do I think the next service rifle to replace the M4 in any branch will be the 416 / M27? No. Do I think the next service rifle will be a direct impingement gun? Also no.

Tspeis

Which is precisely why my 16" MR barrels are still 16".

Arctic1
05-26-17, 04:39
The MR223A3 and MR308A3 barrels are chrome lined - they are basically the civilian versions of the A5 family.

It would be odd if the MR556 and MR762 don't get the same upgrades.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
05-26-17, 08:53
Which is precisely why my 16" MR barrels are still 16".

I have a Socom profiled MR556. It is still 16.5" in length, just turned down in diameter. It was done by Jayson at IGF. It reduced the weight some and still kept 100% of the reliability it had.

F22raptor
05-26-17, 12:37
The MR223A3 and MR308A3 barrels are chrome lined - they are basically the civilian versions of the A5 family.

Waiting for it to make it to the USA.

OrlandoJones
05-26-17, 12:58
Not sure if it's just rumors or they are actually switching- so figured I'd ask.

M

Simple answer: NO

USMC is considering using the HK417 rifle platform in various roles in various units.
"Big Army" is considering using the HK417 as their M10 semi-auto sniper rifle.

leibermuster
05-26-17, 21:05

Its coming. As of right now it will be made available in the near future. I estimate 2018 too 2019 as I said years ago. Save this post unless something crazy or unforeseeable happens then it will be so.

Trump getting rid of the SBR BS would help that decision become faster.

Mysteryman
05-26-17, 21:21
It will happen sooner than you think.

The M110CSASS is just the first step for the Army.

The Marines are on the verge. Suppressors are happening, and what does everyone always say?

When you have a suppressed full auto gun you need what? That's right...a piston.

Or a better suppressor that has near zero back pressure like those from OSS suppressors who use flow through baffle less designs.

MM

leibermuster
05-26-17, 21:47
Simple answer: NO

USMC is considering using the HK417 rifle platform in various roles in various units.
"Big Army" is considering using the HK417 as their M10 semi-auto sniper rifle.

This would have been an easy pick. No idea why more militaries are not jumping on the 417 wagon. This should have happened years and years ago.

F22raptor
05-27-17, 21:37

I heard the MR223 and MR308 have been available for years. What is keeping HK from producing their American cousins with a chrome lined barrel or importing it over? I don't get it as there will be a market for both products in complete and upper form.