PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR CASV-M sight and optic suggestions

skyugo
09-29-08, 13:39
this rail will be going on a midlength 16" with a USGI pinned front sight.
what's my best rear sight option? i'm not set on either folding or fixed at this point. I do not yet own an optic, so i'm thinking fixed would be a little more accurate.
from what i understand the eotechs will not co-witness on this rail. aimpoints will? :confused:
I've also been considering of those millett 1-4 scopes with a quick detach mount. is there any reason not to use one of these on the vltor rail?

LOKNLOD
09-29-08, 13:54
I've seen Larue BUIS and Troy BUIS used with them. So either of those should be good to go for you, whether you want fixed or flip up.

I believe you're on the right track with regard to co-witness -- Aimpoint will work in the lower height mount (like the LT RASII mount), and Eotechs are too high. I'm basing that off memory so hopefully someone with more direct experience will chime in and verify :)

skyugo
09-29-08, 14:15
will the LMT fixed a2 rear sight work? :confused:

spamsammich
09-29-08, 14:23
No, it is too long.

skyugo
09-29-08, 14:25
No, it is too long.

crap...

any really usable rear sights that will work with this rail? seems like most of the "back up" sights lack elevation adjustment.

spamsammich
09-29-08, 14:33
LaRue makes an M68 Aimpoint mount for use with the RAS II system that should allow co-witness. Also, ADM low mounts should allow co-witness with M68 type Aimpoints.

I'm a little confused, do you want to shoot irons or do you want to shoot with an optic. If you don't intend to use irons much past 200 yards, you won't need elevation adjustments. If you're using 50yd IBZ you should be good out to 200m. in this case the Troy or LaRue sights are perfectly "usable".

spamsammich
09-29-08, 14:37
If the Troy or LaRue don't float your boat, check out the Matech, I believe that also fits.

skyugo
09-29-08, 14:52
LaRue makes an M68 Aimpoint mount for use with the RAS II system that should allow co-witness. Also, ADM low mounts should allow co-witness with M68 type Aimpoints.

I'm a little confused, do you want to shoot irons or do you want to shoot with an optic. If you don't intend to use irons much past 200 yards, you won't need elevation adjustments. If you're using 50yd IBZ you should be good out to 200m. in this case the Troy or LaRue sights are perfectly "usable".

basically i want to go to an optic, but this is one of those annoying piece together builds. so i'll be stuck with irons for awhile.

i'm actually thinking i might just throw a daniel defense light rail on. is the vltor really any more rigid than a decent quad rail? i do like that the vltor only has as many rails as you want.

JohnN
09-29-08, 15:38
I've seen Larue BUIS and Troy BUIS used with them. So either of those should be good to go for you, whether you want fixed or flip up.

I believe you're on the right track with regard to co-witness -- Aimpoint will work in the lower height mount (like the LT RASII mount), and Eotechs are too high. I'm basing that off memory so hopefully someone with more direct experience will chime in and verify :)

100% right. I use a Larue BUIS on my LMT upper with CASV forend and I like it. Very sturdy and low weight. Place the rails where you need them, good kit.

skyugo
09-29-08, 16:47
for some reason i was thinking no elevation adjustment was a big deal..

i just zero my irons for 50/200 yards and leave em anyway. :p

that larue sight would probably be the way to go....

that said, how much stronger is the vltor rail than a daniel defense lite rail for example?

i've kind of gotten the impression that a free float rail with a vertical forward grip for example would have some chance of distorting the upper receiver slightly leading to malfunction/inaccuracy.

seems the vltor, mounted on the flat top rail would reduce this chance. :confused:

LOKNLOD
09-29-08, 17:12
that said, how much stronger is the vltor rail than a daniel defense lite rail for example?

i've kind of gotten the impression that a free float rail with a vertical forward grip for example would have some chance of distorting the upper receiver slightly leading to malfunction/inaccuracy.

Unless you turn green and rip off your clothes when you get angry, you're probably not going to get anywhere close to distorting the upper to a damaging degree with vert grip pressure on a rail. It's likely you'd tweak the rail or break the grip first. Or just wear yourself out trying.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't think its a major concern in rail selection.

David Thomas
09-29-08, 17:22
for some reason i was thinking no elevation adjustment was a big deal..

i just zero my irons for 50/200 yards and leave em anyway. :p

that larue sight would probably be the way to go....

seems the vltor, mounted on the flat top rail would reduce this chance. :confused:

Sounds like you are over-thinking this entire thing.
In my opinion if a fixed rear sight is what you want, then LaRue is the best option. If you want a folding rear sight, then Troy is the best option. Both work with the CAS-V.

I have some experience with the Cas-V, and I really like it. The Cas-V has a very good shape and is a great handguard if you can justify the added weight.

I do not have any experience with the DD Omega rails.
I do not like the feel of quadrail handguards. I have tried several quad-rail handguards and have sold all but one (a 12" VIS).

With regard to which one is stronger and which one will help reduce receiver flex induced by use of a VFG, I think you are getting a little paranoid and should have more important things to worry about... Or you shouldn't use a VFG.

skyugo
09-30-08, 00:47
i think i'm just going to keep my carry handle sight and put a larue or daniel defense rail on. :cool: