PDA

View Full Version : Need to lose weight...

GLP Standard
09-29-08, 13:51
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seemed to fit best in here. Possible TL;DR, so sorry if thats the case.

First off, I wanted to start off by telling a little bit about myself. Im 23 years old (24 in November). I am around 6'3", maybe a little taller, and weigh around 270 lbs. I don't have any muscle, as I never work out, or run. In school, I was never into sports, and I wasnt very active, even in gym (which was my least favorite class). Im paying for this now, as it's really starting to bother me.

I really want more than anything to work for my local PD or SO, but the way i stand right now, I couldnt pass the PFT without getting myself in shape for a good 2 months. I dont feel that I have much work to do, but want to be in the best shape possible before I even apply again, because Id like for the academy to be a breeze, and I dont really want to just barely squeak by on the initial physical fitness test during the hiring process.

All these problems, my being overweight (I'm about a 32 on the BMI scale, and I should weigh about 200 according to said scale for my height) my not having the career I want, etc are all due to my bad eating habits, my lack of motivation, and my general overall laziness. I don't expect anyone to be able to help me with any of those, because those are all things that I need to change for myself. I do however want any tips, advise, or basic help that you can shoot in my direction. Give me pointers on a basic exercise routine I can start on, what I should focus on eating (I know pretty much what NOT to eat, but not so much what is good for you, quick, easy to make and cheap to buy)

About 2 weeks ago, I got pretty sick and tired of being so out of shape, and I saw no future in law enforcement for me if I keep it up. That being said, I cut off all soda and fast food (I used to eat a lot of fast food and drink tons of soda before then). For about a week I didnt have any fast food or drink any sodas, and tried to eat a little more healthy (fruit, granola bars, etc), and I ate A LOT less, and I mean A LOT less than I was used to. I drank plenty of water while at work, and tried to eat a bunch of small meals a day, instead of a couple huge (unhealthy) meals. I was always hungry, but I also tried to do 30 situps a day before work, and I went to work out for maybe 5-10 minutes a day while at work to try and build up my arms a little. Im not sure if it was a fluke or what, but within 3 days I had dropped 4-5 lbs. Needless to say, Im not 100% back into my old routine, but after a week straight of doing that, I had fast food twice I believe since then, and have had a couple sodas as well, though I dont eat nearly as bad as I was before I started all this.

Basically, right now Im just trying to get myself into a routine and get myself used to compromising my life style and getting into the habit of exercising and watching what I eat. Im trying to take it slowly, and not kill myself right away, because I know that wont last long, and ill get tired of it pretty quick, just like me cheating and having a couple sodas and eating fast food a couple times after only a week of trying to get into shape. Sorry for the long drawn out post, but id really like to hear anything you guys have to say. What can you give me for advice? Should I keep up the routine I have been going with, or should I do things a little different?

C4IGrant
09-29-08, 14:08
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seemed to fit best in here. Possible TL;DR, so sorry if thats the case.

First off, I wanted to start off by telling a little bit about myself. Im 23 years old (24 in November). I am around 6'3", maybe a little taller, and weigh around 270 lbs. I don't have any muscle, as I never work out, or run. In school, I was never into sports, and I wasnt very active, even in gym (which was my least favorite class). Im paying for this now, as it's really starting to bother me.

I really want more than anything to work for my local PD or SO, but the way i stand right now, I couldnt pass the PFT without getting myself in shape for a good 2 months. I dont feel that I have much work to do, but want to be in the best shape possible before I even apply again, because Id like for the academy to be a breeze, and I dont really want to just barely squeak by on the initial physical fitness test during the hiring process.

All these problems, my being overweight (I'm about a 32 on the BMI scale, and I should weigh about 200 according to said scale for my height) my not having the career I want, etc are all due to my bad eating habits, my lack of motivation, and my general overall laziness. I don't expect anyone to be able to help me with any of those, because those are all things that I need to change for myself. I do however want any tips, advise, or basic help that you can shoot in my direction. Give me pointers on a basic exercise routine I can start on, what I should focus on eating (I know pretty much what NOT to eat, but not so much what is good for you, quick, easy to make and cheap to buy)

About 2 weeks ago, I got pretty sick and tired of being so out of shape, and I saw no future in law enforcement for me if I keep it up. That being said, I cut off all soda and fast food (I used to eat a lot of fast food and drink tons of soda before then). For about a week I didnt have any fast food or drink any sodas, and tried to eat a little more healthy (fruit, granola bars, etc), and I ate A LOT less, and I mean A LOT less than I was used to. I drank plenty of water while at work, and tried to eat a bunch of small meals a day, instead of a couple huge (unhealthy) meals. I was always hungry, but I also tried to do 30 situps a day before work, and I went to work out for maybe 5-10 minutes a day while at work to try and build up my arms a little. Im not sure if it was a fluke or what, but within 3 days I had dropped 4-5 lbs. Needless to say, Im not 100% back into my old routine, but after a week straight of doing that, I had fast food twice I believe since then, and have had a couple sodas as well, though I dont eat nearly as bad as I was before I started all this.

Basically, right now Im just trying to get myself into a routine and get myself used to compromising my life style and getting into the habit of exercising and watching what I eat. Im trying to take it slowly, and not kill myself right away, because I know that wont last long, and ill get tired of it pretty quick, just like me cheating and having a couple sodas and eating fast food a couple times after only a week of trying to get into shape. Sorry for the long drawn out post, but id really like to hear anything you guys have to say. What can you give me for advice? Should I keep up the routine I have been going with, or should I do things a little different?

First, good for you for wanting to do something about your weight. It appears you have ID'd some of the big problem children (soda and fast food).

One of the very best things you can do is drink a ton of water. Also, rethink how you eat (bigger meals in the morning and smaller in the evening). Exercise before you eat (not after).

Walking and swimming are both good low impact and can be done without much money. If you have the money, going to a gym and hitting the weights will really help you burn fat. If you cannot afford a gym membership, then push-ups and sit-ups are are free. :D

Good luck and stay with it!

C4

trio
09-29-08, 14:12
good for you for wanting to change....

here is my basis for experience, then my advice:

I am a former college football player, and was in the Army. I was medically discharged after the Army crushed my left leg. I am athletic, I don't think thats bragging, and have always enjoyed working out, but...

for the decade of my twenties I let my body go to shit....no easy way to say that...i have some reasons...a little bit of depression, and just not really giving a damn....but whatever the reason, it was what it was....

last Nov. 29th i had surgery to reconstruct my left shoulder (an injury I've been dealing with for well over a decade and a half)...at the pre surgery anesthesia weigh in, I weight over 410 pounds....whats sad is that its not the heaviest I've been....

it took me some more time and self loathing and pity to finally get off my ass, but in April i decided I was going to finally lose weight....

sometime in the next 2 weeks I will drop below the 300 pound mark for the first time in probably 15 years....I have lost 100+ pounds since April....

the secret? move more, eat less....but EAT LESS is really the key..

I used Medifast (you can look it up) to help me, but the key is 1000 calories a day, or thereabouts....your basal metabolic rate probably puts your body at somewhere near 3000 calories a day.....cut it by 2/3 and you WILL lose weight...and i know people will talk about "starvation mode"....if you eat the appropriate amounts of nutrients and protein you can 1000 calories a day, still feel energized, and not lose muscle mass.....i've gained muscle mass since i started my diet just from the amount i work out

i'd still like to lose another 40-50 pounds or so....my frame is such that i can easily and healthily weight 250 pounds....

i do some form of cardio activity 5-6 days a week (i had knee surgery last Wednesday, prior to that I was running on an elliptical....on Thursday I rode the bike for 30 minutes, less than 24 hours after my surgery)

but really, thats it in a nutshell...you have to commit to the idea that for a significant amount of time food is just fuel, not enjoyment....

good luck....

crebralfix
09-29-08, 14:17
My advice to you is to find a competent trainer and do his or her program. Keep the trainer informed of any pain you feel; the program will get modified if needed.

This will not be inexpensive. However, going it alone means you can easily hurt yourself. I almost destroyed one of my shoulders on a bench press machine...I still regret it today.

rob_s
09-29-08, 14:25
www.bodyforlife.com

Get the book, read the book, understand the book. If you understand the WHY, you'll do much better at the HOW.

BFL is the no shit, best thing going. You should never be hungry (you know the difference between hungry and bored, right?).

Most people need a plan. It doesn't have to be a great plan, it just needs to be a plan. You need a routine you can stick to, and a plan that you feel like you're cheating on if you screw up.

BFL also tailors the workouts around you and around what you can physically handle with the way it deals with intensity. Intensity 1 for Micheal Phelps might be the same as intensity 10 for you. And that's ok and BFL allows you to work around that.

m.adams
09-29-08, 14:31
As someone who recently dropped 45#, and counting, I can't stress enough, proper portion control, as well as quality of the food you are eating. Exercise is fantastic, but it's pointless without a quality diet.

GLP Standard
09-29-08, 15:48
Thanks for all the advice guys. If anyone can go over what foods I could buy that are healthy, that wont break my bank, then that would be great. I know its kind of day one stuff, but just to get a straight forward answer, if you can also go over foods that I should definately stay away from, then I think if I do that, try and eat 1000 calories a day, and exercise a little, I can start to lose weight. My goal is to get down to 250 in the next 3 months. Sounds doable I think.

Any other advice or input is greatly appreciated, and all comments will be read.

chadbag
09-29-08, 16:00
I am no expert but look at foods with a low glycemic index (google that). Stay away from simple carbs (white flour, sugar, etc). Complex carbs (whole grains) are OK.

Don't instant oatmeal -- highly glycemic. Whole oats (old fashioned oats) are much lower and are good for you.

Protein in the morning (egg, small piece of ham) makes you feel full longer.

Small portions. Eat your big meal of the day in the morning. (I read about a study some doctors did where the people ate the same amount of calories per day but one group at their large meal in the morning, medium meal at lunch, and small snack meal in the evening and one group did it the traditional American way of large meal in the evening -- the group who ate their large meal in the morning lost much more weight).

Don't stick "stuff" on your food. Ie, stop the butter, sugar, honey, jelly/jam, etc that you poor all over food. A very small amount is ok but most people put too much sugar on their cereal, butter on their toast, etc. Lots of calories in these extras.

Jay Cunningham
09-29-08, 16:06
This is another one of those topics where there are a million different opinons on "what works."

I can just give my own experience and opinions. I think that excercise is much more important than diet in controlling weight. Not just physically but in the mental battleground as well.

"Dieting" can amount to absolute torture and cause you to obsess over food and eating. It has been my experience that someone who regularly exercises can pretty much eat whatever they want, within reason. The human body has an amazing ability to process whatever goes into it.

I also am a bit suspect of the "drink water constantly all day long" crowd. I think this is a ploy by the companies that sell bottled water. Water is good for you but you don't need to be constantly drinking it. Black coffee is good for your metabolism and sports drinks are good after intense exercise. Yes, stay away from the sugary sodas. Stay away from fast food, especially french fries. I would try to stay away from fried foods in general.

I do not buy into the low carb or Atkins-type diets at all. I do believe in eating five or six times a day if you can. I am also a believer in morning cardio on an empty stomach after a cup of black coffee. I thought it would make me pass out, but I have energy all day long when I do it.

Sleep! Sleep is crucially important - minimum seven hours/night. Sometimes the real world intrudes but you need to try and sleep properly. You will find that exercise will make you fall into a deeper more restful sleep and you will wake up more refreshed. Don't drink caffiene after dinnertime, preferably stop at lunchtime.

Walk everywhere, especially up steps. I am not saying to run stairs because that is exceptionally hard on knees. Get a good pair of walking/running shoes.

I would really recommend just cooking/preparing all of your own meals - I recommend lots of grilling. Keep your portions small and eat slowly. At first you will think you could never be satisfied by the small amount of food you are eating but you will be shocked.

Lastly, stick with it. You will not really see any results for about three weeks. Buy an accurate scale but only weigh yourself once/week. Treat yourself on occasion! ONE ice cream sundae is not going to make you fat. Four/week will!

.357sigger
09-29-08, 17:46
I was going to post a similar thread wanting to find some info on military type fitness work outs. I already have the complete guide to Navy Seal fitness and Nutrition as well as a workout used by the Air Force PJs but am always looking for something better or different. At minimum I like to change things up because once you get board with the work outs that you are doing is when you lose interest and stop. Any of the current or ex military guys are welcome to throw out some routines. :D

DBautista
09-29-08, 17:57
Lots of cardio.

Plenty of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean meats.

Cut out the crap: Sodas, beer, candy, fast food.

trio
09-29-08, 18:02
with all due respect to the katar, i'm betting you are skinny.....

there is a plethora of research on the internet on this, and as someone who has been both in shape and morbidly obese, i can speak from experience...i am also married to a physician who deals with and dispenses advice to morbidly obese people on a daily basis....

if you have a lot of weight to lose, the only, i repeat ONLY way you are going to lose weight is through calorie control.....significant calorie control...

you can exercise all you want, if you don't control your calories you will NOT lose weight...

in fact, almost all reputable medical sources on the matter now agree that if you control your calories and DON'T exercise, you will be more successful than someone who only exercises moderate calorie control and exercises....

people who are already thin, have a high metabolism, and exercise, are little batteries and can pretty much eat what they want as long as they do rigorous exercise.....

but people that are overweight it does not work the same....in fact if you exercise stringently you often increase your appetite and eat MORE because your body was not used to such strenuous activity, and it wants to maintain its stores and meet your energy demands...so you get hungrier

the fact remains, you must create a calorie deficit to lose weight....

you have a basal metabolic rate (the amount you burn in a normal day)....you must reduce this by 3500 calories/pound you want to lose over the long haul....

go spend an hour on the elliptical at hard difficulty and you are still only likely to burn 500 calories, if that.....

drop your caloric intake from 3000 to 1000 calories and the deficit you have created is 4x what you would burn in that hour....

i was master fitness trainer certified in the army, so i know some of the science behind this....i wish i had listened to my training so i didn't get in the hole i was in....

i have also now spoken to numerous nutritionists and MDs on this subject....

i can tell you i exercised like mad (45 minutes on an elliptical 3-4x a week, 3-4x a week of rigourous weight training) and weighed over 400 pounds....

it wasn't until i severely limited my caloric intake that I lost 100 pounds (and counting)....

Jay Cunningham
09-29-08, 18:43
This is another one of those topics where there are a million different opinons on "what works."

No, I am not nor have I ever been even slightly obese, much less morbidly so. Some examples may require drastic measures, but at some point the drastic measures have their desired effect and then you need to switch over to something a bit less drastic.

.357sigger
09-29-08, 19:02
Im not Rocky or any thing but I am in pretty decent shape... I am 5' 8 (5'9 on a good day...lol), I weigh 193 lbs and have 8.5% body fat. I do watch what I eat...I try to eat simple and complex carbs at the right times....low fat, high protein,. etc. I exercise at least 4 days a week. That includes weights, calisthenics, cardio, and proper stretching. I am really looking for some fine tuning just to push myself the extra mile...so the average diet or workout plan probably wont do all that much for me. That is why I thought that a military style fitness program might help. Oh and at my most intense my workout would last up to 4 hours...now they are down to about 2 just because I vary the intensity and the number of sets/repetitions.

RogerinTPA
09-29-08, 19:06
Good on you for wanting to get in shape. Losing weight is something most Americans can't come to grips with and lack courage to do anything about. All of the advise is good, but before you go to the academy, get a full blown physical to make sure you are medically in shape before doing strenuous exercise and the stresses of LEO training. It's not like Marine boot camp, or Army Airborne or Ranger school, but if you're not in shape, you will get smoked and may get injured. Working out and eating right has to become religious in order to obtain your goals, so make a daily, weekly and monthly plan (i will do 10 push ups and 10 sit ups and walk 2 miles everyday, then bump it up 2 reps or more every week, then morning and evening workouts once you build muscle strength and endurance, then switch to running & sprints half way through, for the duration of your workout regiment) including meals and stick with it. This is where the discipline comes in, which will also help you not quit on yourself when training gets a little uncomfortable. Good luck.

trio
09-29-08, 19:17
No, I am not nor have I ever been even slightly obese, much less morbidly so. Some examples may require drastic measures, but at some point the drastic measures have their desired effect and then you need to switch over to something a bit less drastic.

you're absolutely right....the transition as hard...

as someone who has been both (in my life I've weighed 220 pounds and 420 pounds at my current height) i guess I have a little bit of a weird perspective on this...

but, again, you're right...one of the things I am having to relearn is how to act, eat, and exercise like an "in shape" person again...

without that transition, you end up back in the red....

jaydoc1
09-29-08, 22:39
www.bodyforlife.com

Get the book, read the book, understand the book. If you understand the WHY, you'll do much better at the HOW.

BFL is the no shit, best thing going. You should never be hungry (you know the difference between hungry and bored, right?).

Most people need a plan. It doesn't have to be a great plan, it just needs to be a plan. You need a routine you can stick to, and a plan that you feel like you're cheating on if you screw up.

BFL also tailors the workouts around you and around what you can physically handle with the way it deals with intensity. Intensity 1 for Micheal Phelps might be the same as intensity 10 for you. And that's ok and BFL allows you to work around that.

OK, quick disclaimer: I'm a doctor.

Now that that's out of the way, Body for Life is the healthiest way to lose weight while building lean muscle mass. The two are interlocked. You can lose weight by starvation dieting but you're going to be losing lean muscle mass at the same time. If you build lean muscle mass while eating healthy it's a win-win situation. I have been using the BFL outline for four years and you will never regret it. If you eat and exercise this way for a month you will become obsessed with this lifestyle. You won't even want the free day each week anymore where you can eat anything you want. It's just that good.

The South Beach Diet actually has a faster weight loss ratio (recent studies have actually proven this) but the BFL lifestyle (not diet) give you healthier and nearly as fast results. If you want to be in law enforcement you want some muscle behind the weight loss.

You will have to invest in some equipment because this lifestyle includes exercise. No way around that in a healthy weight loss program. A bowflex machine and bowflex dumbells is as inexpensive and space saving a way as any.

Try this. Buy the book from the website or Amazon. You will not be disappointed.

Impact
09-29-08, 22:53
Lots of cardio.

Plenty of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean meats.

Cut out the crap: Sodas, beer, candy, fast food.

Amen...and cut the starbucks as well.

armakraut
09-30-08, 03:28
Been heavy twice (both times above 250lbs) and I've been reasonably lean three times (aka really skinny compared to most everybody else walking around). I'm skinny now. When I was a lardass, eating too much was the only culprit. I didn't respect myself.

You're the only person that can make and keep genuine change in your lifestyle. I think you're on the right road. Keep eating less, keep exercising a few days a week.

Cardio is great. So is counting calories. Wonder of wonders if can calculate up what you'd eat at a good body weight, then eat that for a time, your body will adjust to the correct weight. Daily calorie intake is near exact the same thing as RPM's for automobiles. If the RPM's aren't right for the conditions, you're going to be at the wrong speed. No amount of explaining why you're at the wrong weight makes you the right weight.

You're young and you've got a bit of time.

QuickStrike
09-30-08, 04:38
Don't starve, just eat cleaner and use moderation.

Avoid foods with excess amounts of:

fat
sodium
sugar

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fat-Burning-Exercises&id=37607

For example, you can go to the park and:

power walk at 70% pace
for 45 minutes
four times a week

Just this + eating cleaner will get you real noticable results in a few months. Additional weight lifting will speed things up.

Don't expect quick and easy results, this will be a fight! :mad:

We can type up all the advice we want, but it's all up to you to start. Starting is the hardest part.

Just start!

Good luck.

Damnit, my computer turned off for some reason while typing the original post. :o:D

rob_s
09-30-08, 08:50
OK, quick disclaimer: I'm a doctor.

Now that that's out of the way, Body for Life is the healthiest way to lose weight while building lean muscle mass. The two are interlocked. You can lose weight by starvation dieting but you're going to be losing lean muscle mass at the same time. If you build lean muscle mass while eating healthy it's a win-win situation. I have been using the BFL outline for four years and you will never regret it. If you eat and exercise this way for a month you will become obsessed with this lifestyle. You won't even want the free day each week anymore where you can eat anything you want. It's just that good.

The South Beach Diet actually has a faster weight loss ratio (recent studies have actually proven this) but the BFL lifestyle (not diet) give you healthier and nearly as fast results. If you want to be in law enforcement you want some muscle behind the weight loss.

You will have to invest in some equipment because this lifestyle includes exercise. No way around that in a healthy weight loss program. A bowflex machine and bowflex dumbells is as inexpensive and space saving a way as any.

Try this. Buy the book from the website or Amazon. You will not be disappointed.

Good post (and not just because you agreed with me ;) )

When my ex and I were doing BFL, she was GAINING weight while dropping dress sizes. It was amazing (and she looked amazing too).

Paul45
09-30-08, 08:54
Talk to a nutritionist. She changed my life. I had to change due to a heart attach a year ago - stress and other crap plus 40+ lbs over wt. I lost 35 and still dropping - mix of exercise and eating proprer. I did not say diet. It's more like educated eating. I thought I would strave to death and never eat my favorite foods again. A little education, a log book of what you eat, a few follow-up conversations and life is GREAT. I am full, eating well, losing wt and feeling good. I still have not gained my youth back but I am a great 62 and still compete with the 30 somethings in USPSA and IDPA. I hold my own adn sometime theirs!!!!!
DO IT NOW before you have to.

Bigun
09-30-08, 10:47
good for you for wanting to change....

here is my basis for experience, then my advice:

I am a former college football player, and was in the Army. I was medically discharged after the Army crushed my left leg. I am athletic, I don't think thats bragging, and have always enjoyed working out, but...

for the decade of my twenties I let my body go to shit....no easy way to say that...i have some reasons...a little bit of depression, and just not really giving a damn....but whatever the reason, it was what it was....

last Nov. 29th i had surgery to reconstruct my left shoulder (an injury I've been dealing with for well over a decade and a half)...at the pre surgery anesthesia weigh in, I weight over 410 pounds....whats sad is that its not the heaviest I've been....

it took me some more time and self loathing and pity to finally get off my ass, but in April i decided I was going to finally lose weight....

sometime in the next 2 weeks I will drop below the 300 pound mark for the first time in probably 15 years....I have lost 100+ pounds since April....

the secret? move more, eat less....but EAT LESS is really the key..

I used Medifast (you can look it up) to help me, but the key is 1000 calories a day, or thereabouts....your basal metabolic rate probably puts your body at somewhere near 3000 calories a day.....cut it by 2/3 and you WILL lose weight...and i know people will talk about "starvation mode"....if you eat the appropriate amounts of nutrients and protein you can 1000 calories a day, still feel energized, and not lose muscle mass.....i've gained muscle mass since i started my diet just from the amount i work out

i'd still like to lose another 40-50 pounds or so....my frame is such that i can easily and healthily weight 250 pounds....

i do some form of cardio activity 5-6 days a week (i had knee surgery last Wednesday, prior to that I was running on an elliptical....on Thursday I rode the bike for 30 minutes, less than 24 hours after my surgery)

but really, thats it in a nutshell...you have to commit to the idea that for a significant amount of time food is just fuel, not enjoyment....

good luck.... Wow great story, My wife was on the same program and lost 65 lbs. Keep up the good work. How is your leg holding up to the increased excercise?

theJanitor
09-30-08, 12:22
i'm currently 5'10" 205lbs and relatively muscular, but when i was around 30, i hit 200lbs and i felt like shit and decided to do something.

the first was to cut out soda. i started to use diet powdered tea, it was cheap easy to make and didn't add to my calorie intake.

second was to change my dinner. i start work at 4:30 in the am, and leave the job around 6:30 at night. sometimes breakfasts and lunches aren't the best quality. so i ate cereal for dinner, buy it at costco and it's pretty affordable, healthy, and light.

then i joined a gym. now alot of people say that you can do all of that at home. and they're right, but spending coin on a gym does a few things. first, if you don't go, then you feel like you're wasting money. second, when you get to the gym, there's nothing else to do besides exercise. you have nothing else to distract you (except for the women, which is a motivation all by itself). third, you're there with other like minded individuals, who have the exercising/improvement mindset you need yourself surrounded with. lastly, weights can be dangerous, sometimes you need some good basic instructions on how not to hurt yourself.

then i found a place to jog. for me it was a beach park with a jogging path that's two miles around. this was important for me for several reasons. first, i could time myself on a set distance. i didn't need a pedomometer or other gadget for this, just my wristwatch. second, watching girls in bikinis was a great motivation for me. third, i found time to just get out of the house. sometimes with work and responsibilities, you just find yourself in a rut. my rut was located on my couch in front of the TV.

i lost 30# over the course of a 14 months. the first 20 lbs disappeared in 4 months, the last 10 took FOREVER. but it felt like a healthy pace of weight loss and i still had two fairly big meals a day. i didn't exercise every day but at least 2 out of three with no real schedule. if i felt like jogging, then i would jog. if i got home too late to jog, then i would hit the gym, etc. after the 30lbs loss, i started gaining weight, mostly due to the fact that i spent less time jogging, and more time on the weights.

now i'm heavier, and still a bit overweight, but most of my weight is muscles that i didn't have five years ago. i haven't hit the gym in a couple of years due to my strenuous work schedule. but the residual effects of that year are still with me.

hope my experience can help you, and good luck.;)

mmike87
09-30-08, 14:02
I was thin most of my life, and when I got out of the Navy and transistioned to desk jobs in IT I packed on 60 pounds. About 5 years ago I got fed up (no pun intended) and went on a diet that day.

These are the changes I made:

1) Exercise almost every day for 30 - 60 minutes. I started using my lunch break at work to walk for 30 minutes, and started bike riding and using my elliptic (sp?) machine.
2) I won't say I ate less, because I didn't. I really like to eat, and can eat a lot - I must have a big stomach or something. So I learned to eat things I could eat a LOT of. Grilled chicken, broccoli, salads (find a low cal dressing you like), greens, etc. I was starving one day and ate an entire family sized bag of stir fry vegatables, stir fried with a little sauce. I was stuffed, and consumed less than 400 calories. Being hungary will kill any diet. Don't be hungary on a diet - there is no reason to.
3) Just say no to fast food. I realized that the food usually wasn't fast and only fit the dfeinition of food loosely, and do not miss it.
4) I started bringing my lunch to work every day. Turkey sandwich, apple, and a slice of high fiber fitness bread. Eating out with co-workers is like a once a month thing.
5) I still eat pizza sometimes, but at elast try to stay with chicken and veggie toppings to help a little bit.
6) I eat a LOT of fiber. Fiber is filling, and your body has to work a bit to get rid of it, helping metabolism a little.
7) Remember it not just what you eat, it's how much. If there is something you really enjoy, still have it in moderation or you'll be miserable.

After years of this, I found that it's second nature. I have learned to control what I eat enough to where every now and then I can hit the Chinese buffet - I'll just tighten up for a couple of days afterwards.

Good luck to you.