PDA

View Full Version : SLR ION Lite MLOK vs. Geissele Mk8 MLOK

BoringGuy45
05-24-17, 11:49
So after 10 months, my tax stamp finally came back for my SBR. I put on a 12.5" barrel, and I've narrowed down my choices for handguards to the SLR ION and the Geissele Mk8.

From what I understand, the Geissele is pretty much bombproof. The cons to me are the fact that the longest option that Geissele has for a 12.5 and under is the 9.5" rail, and the fact that it has a larger diameter than the ION.

The ION, on the other hand, I can get at 11", which is what I was really aiming for. Also, it's a bit thinner, lighter, and there's more slots for accessories. However, with it being a lighter weight handguard, how is it in terms of durability and rigidness compared to the MK8? Is it decent with iron sights (that is, will I get a lot of flex with it?)

Another thing I wonder about is heat. I have an ALG EMR on my other AR, and it's a great, solid piece, but it heats up pretty fast. Does anyone know if either the MK8 or the ION is better than the other in terms of heating up, or tolerating heavy use and hot barrels?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions on one vs the other and getting some food for thought.

twm134
05-24-17, 17:09
No experience with the ION.

I personally wouldn't consider a 9.5 inch rail on a 12.5 inch barrel. Geissele really needs to get their act together and offer more lengths.

I know that it's not Geissele, but ALG is having a memorial day sale on their rails in various lengths and configurations. I have a blemished 13 inch V3 and love it. It does heat up fast but rails covers can help.

https://algdefense.com/memorial-day

nightchief
05-24-17, 17:21
I have an SLR SOLO hand guard (uses same barrel nut), which has a more rounded shape than the ION, on an 11.5" upper. It heats up pretty well when shooting a lot rounds at a fast pace. I know you said you've narrowed it down to the ION and Geissele, but perhaps take a look at the Mega/Hodge wedge rail. It is my favorite MLOK hand guard (I have the SOLO and a Geissele Mk4). The Mega/Hodge is made from 7075 alum. It has a similar shape to the ION. Heat transfer seems to be about the same on three though.

NC

BoringGuy45
05-24-17, 17:32
I personally wouldn't consider a 9.5 inch rail on a 12.5 inch barrel. Geissele really needs to get their act together and offer more lengths.

Agreed. Even just a 10.5". That length would be good for both 11.5 and 12.5 barrels.

I know you said you've narrowed it down to the ION and Geissele, but perhaps take a look at the Mega/Hodge wedge rail. It is my favorite MLOK hand guard (I have the SOLO and a Geissele Mk4).

I seriously considered that. The issue was the price, and the fact that I can't seem to find any of the 10.5 or 11" ones anywhere.

gunnerblue
05-24-17, 17:50
Food for thought, I am planning on going with a V7 Enlightened M-LOK rail for my 12.5" due to the fact that it is available in 11" and uses a barrel nut attachment similar to the Geissele (which I prefer). I have no experience with the Ions, but my Geissele MK4's are very fine indeed. Ridgid, no overly bulky, heat up slower than lighter-weight options and overall high quality.

scooter22
05-24-17, 19:07
KAC URX4, Hodge/Mega, Troy

fledge
05-24-17, 19:22
Food for thought, I am planning on going with a V7 Enlightened M-LOK rail for my 12.5" due to the fact that it is available in 11" and uses a barrel nut attachment similar to the Geissele (which I prefer). I have no experience with the Ions, but my Geissele MK4's are very fine indeed. Ridgid, no overly bulky, heat up slower than lighter-weight options and overall high quality.

The V7 barrel nut is like Noveske. It must be timed. The SLR is more like Geissele's barrel nut.

Stickman
05-25-17, 12:03
Have you looked at the Centurion Arms? If I were making the choice, I would use the Centurion Arms 11" MLOK. No need to time the barrel nut, rock solid, and nice profile.

Furbyballer
05-25-17, 13:36
Centurion, Hodge, and V7 would be my recommendations for a 12.5in barrel set up.

BoringGuy45
05-30-17, 20:59
I just found another one that I had forgotten about: The Daniel Defense MFR XS 10" rail. Anyone have experience with this one? It's pretty light; is it pretty rigid and good for heavy use?

John_Burns
06-01-17, 11:22
So after 10 months, my tax stamp finally came back for my SBR. I put on a 12.5" barrel, and I've narrowed down my choices for handguards to the SLR ION and the Geissele Mk8.

From what I understand, the Geissele is pretty much bombproof. The cons to me are the fact that the longest option that Geissele has for a 12.5 and under is the 9.5" rail, and the fact that it has a larger diameter than the ION.

The ION, on the other hand, I can get at 11", which is what I was really aiming for. Also, it's a bit thinner, lighter, and there's more slots for accessories. However, with it being a lighter weight handguard, how is it in terms of durability and rigidness compared to the MK8? Is it decent with iron sights (that is, will I get a lot of flex with it?)

Another thing I wonder about is heat. I have an ALG EMR on my other AR, and it's a great, solid piece, but it heats up pretty fast. Does anyone know if either the MK8 or the ION is better than the other in terms of heating up, or tolerating heavy use and hot barrels?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions on one vs the other and getting some food for thought.

I have used the ION in field a lot and have zero complaints.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/2017%20Turkey/DSC01786_zps6r3dtgqs.jpg (http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/GreybullPrecision/media/2017%20Turkey/DSC01786_zps6r3dtgqs.jpg.html)

Lots of good handguards but if you choose the SLR I am confident it will serve you well.

themonk
06-01-17, 12:23
I own both and the Geissele is a better rail but is heavier. The anodising on the SLR is lacking IMO. Its takes dings very easily. I only have one so it's a sample of one.

I agree with Stick. You should take a good look at the Centurion rails. Everything they make is top notch.

I would also look at the KMR from BCM (although keymod). It comes in a 10" but is actually 10.5 has the side pop out a half inch. If heat is a concern, I prefer keymod as I am in love with the noveske covers. They are outstanding and rock solid.

Cane55
06-01-17, 13:33
Another thing to consider is that the Geissele uses 6061 aluminum while the SLR uses 7075 aluminum.

Defaultmp3
06-01-17, 13:50
Another thing to consider is that the Geissele uses 6061 aluminum while the SLR uses 7075 aluminum.Source on SLR using 7075 for the handguard? I know they use a 7075 barrel nut, but so does Geissele; SLR's AK handguards are stated to be 6061 on their website.

nightchief
06-01-17, 15:17
I like the feel and profile of the SOLO hand guard, but a concern of mine with SLR hand guard design is the gas tube being used as part of the anti rotation component. Even a small shift of the hand guard would possibly bend or break the gas tube.

NC

themonk
06-01-17, 15:36
I like the feel and profile of the SOLO hand guard, but a concern of mine with SLR hand guard design is the gas tube being used as part of the anti rotation component. Even a small shift of the hand guard would possibly bend or break the gas tube.

NC

This is a non-issue.

nightchief
06-01-17, 15:52
This is a non-issue.

Please expand on this...belay my concerns

556BlackRifle
06-01-17, 19:45

Erathr3 (https://www.blasthouse.com/products/erathr3-m-lok-handguard) has a really nice handguard that might work for your build. I have one on my lightweight and I love it. It's available in 10 3/8" length but the barrel nut is similar to Noveske and does need to be timed. To me, that's not a big deal.

Also, the Noveske NSR M-Lok (https://www.noveske.com/products/noveske-nsr-mlok-rail) version is really nice. Available in 11" I have one of those on a pistol build. (Still waiting on the stamp.)

BoringGuy45
06-08-17, 11:06
Alright, so I've modified my choices.

Right now, I'm thinking it's between the Daniel Defense MFR XS 10" and the Centurion CMR 10.5".

I like the extra surface on the DD, but then again, Centurion also has a reputation for being extremely solid, like Stickman said.

Thoughts one of these over the other?

Defaultmp3
06-08-17, 11:26
I will note that the CMR's very thin OD can cause compatibility issues with QD connectors; depending on your barrel and the QD stud used, there can be interference, as a buddy of mine learned the hard way (QD sling stud was pressed up against his barrel, which had a 0.750 gas block journal, not sure of the overall profile).

Vegasshooter
06-08-17, 14:22
Centurion M-lok on my Sionics Patrol XL. I'm running the 15" on a 16" barrel and I really dig it. I have run the Geiselle Mk4 AND the MK8. I got rid of them both once I started messing with the Centurion. Reasons: Centurion is every bit as solid of a unit. You'd have to try to mess it up. It's stable, and had no rotation. 2) O.D. is really small. That's a positive to me. I love how lightweight and thin it is. I can wrap my hand around it and drive the gun well. 3) like the Geiselle, it doesn't need timed. This is a wash between the two brands, but possibly makes it better over other units ie: Noveske NSR that do. 4) very lightweight. The weight out on the end of the gun is where you really feel it. For me, I like the Centurion better in that regard.

I had the option when I bought my Sionics on which rail to get. Very satisfied with the Centurion. Depending on what barrel you go with, I believe you need Centurion's gas block. Really no biggie. I have not run into any issues with my sling stud hitting my barrel. I can only speak for me, a sample of one, but no issue. I am running a lightweight barrel, so that may help.

Just thought I'd put this info out. Since I've run both brands, I hope this helps in your decision.

BoringGuy45
06-19-17, 23:39
I went with the Centurion CMR 10.5". It looks like it's just about everything I need. I do like the extra slots on the Daniel Defense, but really, the only things I'm going to be hanging on the handguard are a light and a vertical grip.

HMM
06-20-17, 21:59
Please expand on this...belay my concerns

The SLR Rail mount is solid. I had a hard time getting the rail off after about a year of being on my rifle. And that was after taking the bolts off. My rifle was dropped a few times and pushed over along with trunk rides and other minor stuff, no issues out of the rail at all. I had that rail cerakoted and put on another build. Needless to say, I don't worry about them moving at all. I've got a total of 4 SLR rails in all now and will be putting another on my next build.