PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of people have dropped off the food stamp rolls in Georgia.

Averageman
05-27-17, 07:39
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/25/thousands-drop-off-food-stamp-rolls-georgia-state-implements-work-requirements/

More than half of the 11,779 people enrolled for food stamps in 21 counties, an estimated 7,251 people, have dropped out of the food stamp program—a drop of 62 percent, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Georgia first rolled out its work requirements for the food stamp program in three counties in January 2016. Since then, the state has expanded work requirements in an additional 21 counties, giving people in those 21 counties until April 1, 2017 to find a job or lose food stamp benefits.

Those who receive benefits must work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in state-approved job training, or volunteer for a state-approved non-profit or charity.

Oh the Irony....

Be still my heart, there is more....
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/25/trump-budget-requires-work-for-food-stamps/
President Donald Trump’s 2018 budget will save $190 billion over the next ten years by requiring able-bodied adults to work to receive food stamps.
President Trump wrote in his letter to Congress, “We must reform our welfare system so that it does not discourage able-bodied adults from working, which takes away scarce resources from those in real need. Work must be the center of our social policy.”
White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said at a press conference, “If you’re on food stamps and you’re able-bodied, then we need you to go to work.”

In 2014, Maine dropped its waiver for work requirements, and required everyone who could work and did not have dependents to either get employment for at least 20 hours a week, enter job-training programs, or volunteer a minimum of 24 hours a month.
Before Maine dropped its waiver in 2014, there were 13,332 food stamp recipients. By March 2015, the number of food stamp recipients dropped by 80 percent, to 2,678 recipients who decided to get a job, participate in job training, or volunteer. Roughly 9,000 people dropped out of the program, leading many analysts to observe that many of those food stamp recipients worked off the books and used food stamps to save money for other expenses.

You know I'm really surprised, but pleasantly so.
Edit to add an explanation of how this went off the rails..
http://dailysignal.com/2016/04/08/why-more-states-are-requiring-work-requirements-for-food-stamps/
Part of the reason for the increase was that Obama’s stimulus package waived food stamps’ work requirement. This required those who are adults and able to work and who don’t have children to work part-time (or do some type of work activity) in order to get food stamps. If not, their benefits would be limited to three months.
After Kansas ended its work requirement waiver in 2013, it saw a 75-percent decline in its caseload of able-bodied adults with dependents. For those who left the program, average income increased within a year, from $2,453 annually to $5,562 annually: an amount greater than their previous income and food stamp benefits combined. For those still on food stamps, the work requirement led to more employment and higher incomes.
Maine is another example. The state reinstated work requirements in December 2014, and within three months, its caseload of adults without dependents dropped by 80 percent, from 13,332 to 2,678. Nine months later, it had dropped to 1,886. Most chose to forgo benefits rather than meet the work requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP67j-8ksRA
Welfare assistance should be available to those in need, but policy should encourage self-sufficiency for able-bodied adults rather than simply provide a one-way government handout. The examples of Kansas and Maine show that work requirements accomplished what they are intended to do: Encourage self-sufficiency. Work requirements promote greater self-reliance and establish reciprocal obligation between the beneficiary and the taxpayers who provide the benefits.

RetroRevolver77
05-27-17, 08:18
Would be neat if instead, they just used trucks filled with sausages and wheels of cheese to throw to the angry crowds once a month.

Averageman
05-27-17, 08:25
Would be neat if instead, they just used trucks filled with sausages and wheels of cheese to throw to the angry crowds once a month.

Well such legislation did buy "Team OBAMA !" a lot of votes.
Bread and Circus, bread and circus.

Bulletdog
05-27-17, 12:56
Such a simple easy solution to such a big problem.

"Hey Jackass! No more free ride!"

ABNAK
05-27-17, 14:55
Sooner or later "able-bodied" will be litigated in court and watered down. But but "My fibro" or "I have anxiety issues" will again have validity.

Every time I see the American flag-emblazoned credit card thing used (what the EBT card looks like here in TN) I want to say "You're welcome....NOT!"

jpmuscle
05-27-17, 14:59
You guys are crazy. How dare you tell transemployed persons who self identify as unemployed they have to work. Assuming peoples employment status.. Nazis...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kain
05-27-17, 15:06
Sooner or later "able-bodied" will be litigated in court and watered down. But but "My fibro" or "I have anxiety issues" will again have validity.

Oh, don't forget the number of people who decide to quit their job and apply for benefits because they felt "stressed" at their job and need assistance or unemployment, or welfare.

hotrodder636
05-27-17, 18:44
This and mando drug testing to receive benefits is IMHO a step in the right direction.

MegademiC
05-27-17, 20:22
This and mando drug testing to receive benefits is IMHO a step in the right direction.

This. The fact drug testing isn't done blows my mind.

I know, it shouldnt, but it does.

sevenhelmet
05-27-17, 21:32
This. The fact drug testing isn't done blows my mind.

I know, it shouldnt, but it does.

Some states have found that drug testing every welfare/unemployment applicant doesn't end up excluding enough junkies to pay for itself. e.g. not cost-effective. Requiring people to work, volunteer, or demonstrate evidence that they're unable to work seems like a good solution to me. I'm all for providing a safety net when shit happens, but get people to get themselves off the dole whenever possible.

This "work is for losers" attitude really pisses me off.

Kain
05-27-17, 22:10
Some states have found that drug testing every welfare/unemployment applicant doesn't end up excluding enough junkies to pay for itself. e.g. not cost-effective. Requiring people to work, volunteer, or demonstrate evidence that they're unable to work seems like a good solution to me. I'm all for providing a safety net when shit happens, but get people to get themselves off the dole whenever possible.

This "work is for losers" attitude really pisses me off.

The point on drug testing is true. Also, figure at the moment you have a lot of places trying to cut funding to the agencies that handle this and you end up with a major manpower pinch for the sake of saving money. Which is some cases is ironic since it also results in further funding being pulled from the federal side of things for the state since they in turn fail to meet federally placed standards.

On a separate note unemployment and welfare are two different things. The claim you can't work won't get you far in getting unemployment since most states I know of have a requirement that you need to be able to actually work in order to receive it and be looking for gainful employment.

Moose-Knuckle
05-28-17, 02:59
It's a modern day miracle . . .