PDA

View Full Version : Which Geissele Trigger To Get?

Butch
05-27-17, 16:52
Brownells has these on sale again. It will be for my HD Colt CCU. I'm looking for the most drastic improvement over stock without the trigger being too light.

Who's got experience with both the SSA and the SSA-E?

I'm leaning towards the SSA-E.

hdrolling
05-27-17, 16:59
Brownells has these on sale again. It will be for my HD Colt CCU. I'm looking for the most drastic improvement over stock without the trigger being too light.

I run both, SSA-E on my Daniel Defense and SSA on my BCM. I like the SSA-E over the two but their both great triggers. I personally don't think the SSA-E is too light, wish I had it on all my rifles.

revrogue
05-27-17, 17:02
I have an SSA-E on a recce, and I think it's great in that application, but I find it to be a bit light for a GP/HD gun. I wouldn't say it's unsuitable, I just prefer the the SSA, or even S3G in that role.

titsonritz
05-27-17, 17:12
. I'm looking for the most drastic improvement over stock without the trigger being too light.

If that is your requirement then SSA.

tylerw02
05-27-17, 17:30
Define "too light". That's very subjective.

I have both, and the flat-faced version. I can't tell much of a difference except the flat-faced version "feels" lighter but breaks about the same as the SSA-E on my scale. If you're not trying them side-by-side, you'll be hard-pressed to notice a difference on the target or see much difference downrange.

My question is, for HD, do you think you'll see any real tangible gain? Is the stock trigger holding you back at HD ranges? If not, spend the cash on training and ammo. Hell, if it IS holding you back, spend the money on training and ammo. Use the fancy trigger for scopes guns where you're going to push out further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

556Cliff
05-27-17, 17:33
Geissele has a 20% off sale if you order on their site this weekend too.

As for which trigger I would lean more towards the SD-E or SSA-E.

gunnerblue
05-27-17, 17:48
SSA. Lighter than stock, I don't think you'll find it too light, though

Amicus
05-27-17, 17:48
I use the SSA (on most of my carbines), SSA-E, Super-Dynamic Combat, and the Tricon. Once you get into these two stage triggers, the differences between them are far less than the difference between any Geissele and a stock Colt/Stag/LMT/whatever trigger.

That being said, I have recently really appreciated the flat bow of the Super-Dynamic and flatter Tricon triggers, but I wouldn't say that any of the Geissele triggers were less than great. I tend to want the enhanced triggers on more "target" oriented rifles, because the 3.5 lb pull is just a bit lighter than I want on a "utility" firearm.

Pappabear
05-27-17, 17:55
I have an SSA-E on a recce, and I think it's great in that application, but I find it to be a bit light for a GP/HD gun. I wouldn't say it's unsuitable, I just prefer the the SSA, or even S3G in that role.

I would agree. I run mostly SSA, with it being two stage, precision work is excellent. I have one "E" on an SPR, and I sometimes misfire it I'm so accustomed the regular SSA. For HD, I would urge SSA. That's my opinion.

PB

HMM
05-27-17, 18:39
SSA is what I'd go with if I picked up another one. I've got a SSA on my 5.56, SSA-E on my 308AR and a flat Super Dynamic Combat on my 9mm AR.

Swstock
05-27-17, 19:30
You should watch Geissele s videos on them.

I have a few SSAs a few SSEs and a couple SDCs. The SSAs in my 16" guns and SSAEs in my 20"ers.

Although the C is a combat trigger, it's really just an SSA with a flat face. I prefer the SSAs.

Muzap
05-27-17, 20:08
I have mostly SSA and a couple of SSA-Es. As I've gotten more trigger time with each, it's become more apparent to me that the SSA-E is just light enough to make me uncomfortable with it in my bedside rifle. It's incredible in rifles with magnified optics, though.
Primary Arms has the SSA for $154.99 and the SSA-E for $189.60, in stock as of right now.
That's so cheap I bought another SSA just as a spare and to drive my average cost down...

Iraqgunz
05-27-17, 20:31
Using the search feature will result in numerous discussions about Geissele triggers and triggers in general.

mooseman
05-27-17, 20:43
I've got both. Negligible difference, but I use the SSA as a default on most of my rifles. SSA-E is a little lighter and I use it on more Precision builds.

Lefty223
05-27-17, 20:52
I was at a bowling pin rifle shoot last week where most rifles were ARs. I had the only Geiselle SSA-E trigger there, as I have one on my 7.62x39mm upper I use for hunting amd these shoots. FWIW everyone loved the trigger, but thought it too light for a tactical gun. They all commented that they couldn't believe how light the 2nd stage release was.

TXBK
05-27-17, 20:58

I find the S3G to be scary light especially being a single stage trigger, and mine is on an SPR. I would rather run any of the enhanced triggers on a GP carbine than the S3G, by far.

Really, I cannot tell much if any difference between the SSA or SDC and a G2S. I have more G2S's triggers, because I think it is definitely the best value and it's a great trigger.

teksid
05-27-17, 21:16
I have SSA-E's in my rifles. I subscribe to the theory that if I begin a trigger pull I want to finish it. The first stage is just the travel. That's a long way to pull a trigger accidentally. Now if you have the trigger half way pulled and are resting on the "wall", "break" or "second stage" trying to decide to finish the pull or not, I can see then sending a round accidentally, but I don't do that.
I don't see myself holding a gun on someone with my finger on the trigger and the trigger half way pulled. I wouldn't want a light single stage though.

chef8489
05-27-17, 22:30
You could always get a g2s for 109 from dpms. If i had the cash right now i would pick one up, but alas have to wait till the 31st and hope. http://www.dpmsinc.com/Geissele-2-Stage-G2S-Trigger_p_2679.html

HMM
05-28-17, 07:57
I have SSA-E's in my rifles. I subscribe to the theory that if I begin a trigger pull I want to finish it. The first stage is just the travel. That's a long way to pull a trigger accidentally. Now if you have the trigger half way pulled and are resting on the "wall", "break" or "second stage" trying to decide to finish the pull or not, I can see then sending a round accidentally, but I don't do that.
I don't see myself holding a gun on someone with my finger on the trigger and the trigger half way pulled. I wouldn't want a light single stage though.

Good logic there! Keep your bugger picker outta the hole until you know your going to pull it.

mooseman
05-28-17, 09:05
Oh, I'd like to add, the only time I DON'T recommend Geissele is on Colt 9MM Carbines. I threw an SSA in a new AR6951 as a force of habit (new rifle, gets a new Geissele)...it would sporadically double, triple or quadruple tap on its on. I think the bolt was outrunning the hammer reset. I've shot lots of autos, but never unintentional autos! Crummy stock trigger fixed it.

noonesshowmonkey
05-28-17, 09:55
You could always get a g2s for 109 from dpms. If i had the cash right now i would pick one up, but alas have to wait till the 31st and hope. http://www.dpmsinc.com/Geissele-2-Stage-G2S-Trigger_p_2679.html

This. Twice on Sundays (and it's a Sunday right now! So buy two!). At $109 with something like 2-3 days from order to your door, you can't beat it.

The G2S is the SSA, but you have to put a locking spring in place. Once it is in the gun (which takes all of 8 minutes), you can't tell the difference between them. The trigger is incredibly tight, clear, light, crisp, and with a lovely reset. It is night and day.

The SSA-E would be my go to for a recce gun that I intended on taking out beyond 300m with a magnified optic. Even then, a G2S is no slouch. At that point, you're really just looking for spare percentage points of performance.

Dennis
05-28-17, 10:07
I have an SSA in a QC10 9mm Glock lower, Slash Heavy buffer, Brownells bolt, and standard carbine spring. No doubling or other issues in hundreds of rapid fire rounds. I can't resist with a 9mm AR ;-)

Maybe it's the 8.5oz buffer vs the Colt OEM 5.5?

I use the same logic as you and drop a Geissele in every new lower... Maybe this one needs a new buffer too? It supposedly helps save the bolt catch as well!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Knorth
05-28-17, 12:13
I went with the SSA in my BCM. I love it.

Butch
05-28-17, 12:49
Thanks for the comments.

Ordered the SSA. I decided to error on the side of caution. I'll see how it feels. These go on sale frequently. If I think I want something lighter. Independence Day is not far off.

teksid
05-28-17, 13:05
FWIW Primary Arms has Geissele products on sale this weekend. The SSA-E for $170 and the SSA for $149. That's as cheap as I've ever seen them.

mooseman
05-28-17, 15:38
I'll have to experiment based on your advice, thanks!

I enjoy full auto and have the pleasure of doing so occupationally, but I don't like a surprise burst when I want one shot, particularly in a semi gun! If it weren't for my loadout bag with a big POLICE patch on it I'm sure a lot of the 'Not the ATF' fellow shooters would cause a stir. Instead the 'not the ATF' crowd was more jealous in this case not realizing it was a malfunction 😂

I'll have to try the Colt X Buffer and some of their other super heavies

I have an SSA in a QC10 9mm Glock lower, Slash Heavy buffer, Brownells bolt, and standard carbine spring. No doubling or other issues in hundreds of rapid fire rounds. I can't resist with a 9mm AR ;-)

Maybe it's the 8.5oz buffer vs the Colt OEM 5.5?

I use the same logic as you and drop a Geissele in every new lower... Maybe this one needs a new buffer too? It supposedly helps save the bolt catch as well!

Dennis.

mooseman
05-28-17, 15:42
Off topic to the subject at hand, but the SSF is straight fire! 🔥

Dennis
05-28-17, 16:17
I'll have to experiment based on your advice, thanks!

I'll have to try the Colt X Buffer and some of their other super heavies

http://heavybuffers.com/9q.html

They really know their buffers!

Dennis.

chef8489
05-28-17, 16:25
Off topic to the subject at hand, but the SSF is straight fire! ��

The ssf is super select fire.

mooseman
05-28-17, 16:33
Oh I'm well aware. Nothing like an agency MG and ammo hehe

The ssf is super select fire.

Butch
06-01-17, 19:48
UPDATE: Came home from work to see a box on my desk. I knew what was inside. After taking care of my husbandly duties, I sat down at my desk with my tools and started the Geissele install video. All I can say is, super easy. If you got one ounce of common sense and the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude, installing a Geissele trigger is super simple. I had to keep fast-forwarding the video.

I got the SSA for my 6960. Real nice take-up and a crisp break. Noticeable difference over stock but not too dramatic. Function check was perfect. I'll shoot it tomorrow after work.

Great trigger. Go for it the next time they go on sale.

SonOfAGunn
06-01-17, 20:43
Nevermind. You bought a trigger. Nice choice.

Amicus
06-01-17, 22:37
You may find the Geisseles multiplying to accommodate more of your ARs. Too bad they won't do it sua sponte (i.e., you gotta pay for it).

Wake27
06-01-17, 23:57
UPDATE: Came home from work to see a box on my desk. I knew what was inside. After taking care of my husbandly duties, I sat down at my desk with my tools and started the Geissele install video. All I can say is, super easy. If you got one ounce of common sense and the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude, installing a Geissele trigger is super simple. I had to keep fast-forwarding the video.

I got the SSA for my 6960. Real nice take-up and a crisp break. Noticeable difference over stock but not too dramatic. Function check was perfect. I'll shoot it tomorrow after work.

Great trigger. Go for it the next time they go on sale.

The SSA is the gold standard of AR triggers for a reason.

You may find the Geisseles multiplying to accommodate more of your ARs. Too bad they won't do it sua sponte (i.e., you gotta pay for it).

Accurate. I'm not satisfied until all of my triggers have a G stamped on them, though I'm trying to convince myself that my 15-22 will be just fine with a BCM PNT trigger. The SD-E is my favorite, and I just ordered an SD-C for my wife's rifle.

hdrolling
06-02-17, 05:54
though I'm trying to convince myself that my 15-22 will be just fine with a BCM PNT trigger.

Same here, I pulled the BCM PNT from my BCM lower and installed an SSA. Put the PNT in my sport II, works fine but I know another SSA will finds it's way into the sport eventually.

lysander
06-02-17, 13:12
Good logic there! Keep your bugger picker outta the hole until you know your going to pull it.
To which I will ask the question:

"Where do you want your trigger finger when you are covering a bad guy that has surrendered and being searched by your partner?"

-on the trigger.
-not on the trigger.

The time difference between take-up and firing in a two stage trigger and a single stage trigger is negligible, but the tactile feeling of coming against the second stage gives the brain a split second to "not-fire" if the situation requires it.

My opinion.

hdrolling
06-02-17, 13:31

"Where do you want your trigger finger when you are covering a bad guy that has surrendered and being searched by your partner?"

-on the trigger.
-not on the trigger.

This might just be me, but definitely with your finger off the trigger!

Ironman8
06-02-17, 14:57

-on the trigger.
-not on the trigger.

The time difference between take-up and firing in a two stage trigger and a single stage trigger is negligible, but the tactile feeling of coming against the second stage gives the brain a split second to "not-fire" if the situation requires it.

My opinion.

My opinion:

I don't have a Geissele trigger for "the tactile feeling of coming against the second stage gives the brain a split second to "not-fire" if the situation requires it."

I have a Geissele for when I have to break a more precision oriented shot. Single stage or two stage gets treated the same when combat shooting (aka: at speed). If I stop a shot from breaking, it won't be because of a second wall to pull through.

titsonritz
06-02-17, 15:53
My opinion:

I don't have a Geissele trigger for "the tactile feeling of coming against the second stage gives the brain a split second to "not-fire" if the situation requires it."

I have a Geissele for when I have to break a more precision oriented shot. Single stage or two stage gets treated the same when combat shooting (aka: at speed). If I stop a shot from breaking, it won't be because of a second wall to pull through.

I was trying to explain this very thing last night to a guy that swears he hates two stage triggers when I was telling him about that deal from DPMS. :blink:

Joelski
06-02-17, 16:14

-on the trigger.
-not on the trigger.

My opinion.

Question with a question: Which puts you more at-risk for a negligent homicide charge? If you have the ability to control your sympathetic nervous system to the degree you even feel the "wall", more power to you. Most of us aren't wired that acutely.

seb5
06-02-17, 18:23

-on the trigger.
-not on the trigger.

My opinion.

I wouldn't want you covering for me! He has surrendered and is being cuffed and searched by your partner. Hands should be up or behind his head with fingers crossed, he should be on his knees facing away from the searcher with me at watching from an angle that if I have to shoot, I can without endangering bystanders or my partner. Finger outside the trigger!

Pappabear
06-02-17, 19:47
I was trying to explain this very thing last night to a guy that swears he hates two stage triggers when I was telling him about that deal from DPMS. :blink:

Because most other two stage triggers suck for high speed work. I would get lost in my LMT 2 stage and they are not too bad. Take an average two stage and forget it. SSA and I don't even notice it's 2 stage doing drills.

PB