PDA

View Full Version : California PC12276..?

Hallboss
09-30-08, 01:44
I have read the section a couple of hundred times and enforced it, but I have a question on clarity.

It states that a semi auto shotgun with the ability to accept a detachable mag is considered an assault weapon. However, I know of several Saiga S12's that are in CA and some conversions that are California legal.

Is the S12 legal in CA? I can't get any answers from DOJ.

Thanks for the help
Darin

Olav
09-30-08, 09:24
I have read the section a couple of hundred times and enforced it, but I have a question on clarity.

It states that a semi auto shotgun with the ability to accept a detachable mag is considered an assault weapon. However, I know of several Saiga S12's that are in CA and some conversions that are California legal.

Is the S12 legal in CA? I can't get any answers from DOJ.

Thanks for the help
Darin

My guess is that the Saiga S12's in CA do not have "detachable" magazines but "removable" magazines. Something like the AR15's that are legal in CA because of the non-detachable magazines that they have too. You need some type of "tool" to remove the magazine. Like a bullet or something.

Hallboss
09-30-08, 16:26
Yes that is true for AR's, and SKS's but can anyone confirm that this is the way Saiga's come factory? Is there a conversion that can be done to it if it does not?

I found a S12, but the FFL won't take it unless I can confirm some more info on it.

Thanks again

Olav
09-30-08, 17:01
Yes that is true for AR's, and SKS's but can anyone confirm that this is the way Saiga's come factory? Is there a conversion that can be done to it if it does not?

I found a S12, but the FFL won't take it unless I can confirm some more info on it.

Thanks again

Check out calguns.net I'm sure someone there can answer your question.

JWNathan
09-30-08, 22:08
+1 on calguns.net lots of really good info on there.
-Jesse

Hallboss
09-30-08, 23:18
I got on Calguns and the Saiga 12 web site and spoke with some people who stated the S12 is not legal in CA in manufactured state under section C of 12276.

However, I have been told that there are some manufacturors that make the S12 legal by placing a "cover" over the magazine release that has a hole in it. In effect creating a "bullet button."

I contacted DOJ with this new info and they stated that due to the increase in the use of the bullet button on the AR-15's and other AK style rifles, that they had begun rewriting the assault weapon section to make the use of the bullet button illegal. Essentially, he told me that they will "try" outlaw all firearms that do not fall under the hunting type firearm. Yep, this means handguns as well. Also, he stated, "The Saiga type weapon is Webster's definition of grey area. We are working on banning these weapons by their name, type and location of manufacturing..."

It will be met with resistance and law suits, however it shows the direction CA wants to go.

Now I just need to find the manufacturer of legal S12's and buy one.

DANGER CLOSE
10-01-08, 04:54
that is a lot of worthless talk from the cadoj. it holds as much weight as their 'memos'. lots of bark with no bite. sure its a loophole that is being exploited by the letter of the law, but cadoj gave up on the ability to list firearms and such at the beginning of the year. lots more info about this on calguns. btw, they are a law enforcement agency and write nothing but memos. they cannot change law or interpret it, just enforce it. all it will boil down to is the 58 da's decision. calguns has some lawyers and other very knowledgeable people that can help you out and clarify. +1 calguns.net

1859sharps
10-01-08, 21:15
Hallboss, I am thinking whoever your talking to at the DOJ isn't keeping them self up to date. The DOJ gave up the ability to add new guns to the assault weapons list. That ability was lost by law, not regulation change.

I would have to double check if the bullet button solutions are law based or regulation based. Calguns would be the place to get up to speed on this.