PDA

View Full Version : Stripped lower for your next build, what would you really want/

hdrolling
05-30-17, 17:02
Getting ready to grab a stripped lower, my shop has a big selection.

If you could walk into a shop that carried every lower made and they said pick one lower for free, what would you go with.

I know some pick up their parts based on a set budget in mind, putting that aside what would you really get if all lowers cost the same.

I'm going to be using this a an SBR that starts out as a pistol, so I'm guessing anything would work. But I'm interested in hearing some input on what brand and GEN you would wish to have, and why (mainly so I'll know if there is anything out there that I'm not tracking)

From the pic I took of my shops display case here are a few of the brands they carry in stock.
KAC
Noveske
Ruger
Aero
Phase 5
KE Arms

Edit:They also carry

DPMS
Stag

jpmuscle
05-30-17, 17:07
KAC

/end thread

Second choice would be a forged Noveske Gen 2

Kain
05-30-17, 17:17
KAC

/end thread

Second choice would be a forged Noveske Gen 2

Seconded. If money isn't a concern, no real reason not to grab one of those two. Or both.

titsonritz
05-30-17, 17:26
From that list...KAC, but I'd just get a SIONICS from Tombstone for $65, blems for $54.

I'm going to be using this a an SPR that starts out as a pistol,...

Do you mean SBR?

hdrolling
05-30-17, 17:33
Do you mean SBR?

Yes Sir I did, thanks.

From that list...KAC, but I'd just get a SIONICS from Tombstone for $65, blems for $54.

I haven't decided what I actually want to use yet, just seeing what you guys would get. Maybe I'm wrong here, but would any actually get a blem of any brand if they had to choose between that and a non blem for the same price?

I've read and seen pics of blems that don't look any different, so I would have no issue getting one.

GH41
05-30-17, 17:46
1st choice... KAC ambi. Second... Mega billet ambi. If I had to buy a non-ambi lower it would be a BCM. Doesn't look like his local has any of these. Oh well.

Kain
05-30-17, 17:49
I haven't decided what I actually want to use yet, just seeing what you guys would get. Maybe I'm wrong here, but would any actually get a blem of any brand if they had to choose between that and a non blem for the same price?

I've read and seen pics of blems that don't look any different, so I would have no issue getting one.

There are a number of places who if they sold a blem lowers who I wouldn't hesitate to buy, BCM, Noveske, Sionics, ect. But those blems are cosmetic only, so give it some time and I am sure I'll leave worse marks on it. There are other companies that the blems could be more of an issue than just the cosmetics. Food for thought depending who you buying from. Now that said, blem for non blem for the SAME PRICE. I'm going with the non blem. Which is the point of a blem product, it should cost less than the non blem product.

nate89
05-30-17, 17:50
Maybe consider any upgrades offered in certain lowers (like ambi controls). If you have no need/desire for an ambi bolt release, ambi mag release, etc. then you can eliminate those. As a lefty lowers like the rainier, KAC, and PWS are appealing for the built in ambi controls.

muzzlebraker453
05-30-17, 18:02
SBR for me, will need one for my upcoming class III project.

Tigereye
05-30-17, 18:04
KAC or Noveske

hdrolling
05-30-17, 18:13
They might but I couldn't make out any of the other tags from my pic, I'm going this weekend to look at what they currently have.

This is the shop that I actually bought a complete BCM lower from, so they might have the stripped as well.

Maybe consider any upgrades offered in certain lowers (like ambi controls). If you have no need/desire for an ambi bolt release, ambi mag release, etc. then you can eliminate those. As a lefty lowers like the rainier, KAC, and PWS are appealing for the built in ambi controls.

Not a lefty, but I'll install a Phase 5 ambi bolt catch anyways. I have one on my BCM and so far it's working very well for me.

jackblack73
05-30-17, 18:34
ADM. I like their implementation of an ambi bolt hold open/release the best.

prdubi
05-30-17, 19:54
Colt M4A1 all nice and marked like with Property of Us government..
That type like I carried...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Grip
05-30-17, 20:56
Noveske Gen 2. Way better quality than my KAC lowers.

hdrolling
05-30-17, 22:29

Ever had any issues with mags not dropping from your gen II? I've read a couple older post from a few years ago complaining that the Gen II'S don't work well with all mags.

RobertTheTexan
05-31-17, 00:18
I own 3 of the 6 on your list. So with that in mind, based on your list I would buy in preference:

1. Noveske Gen 1
Gen 1 because I use Redi-Mags on all my SBR's per build SOP. And because the one Noveske lower I do own was as close to "perfect" as I've ever seen.

2. Aero
Because 12 builds using Aero lowers and I have never once even had to email them about a spec tolerance issue or a finish issue. Furthermore the finish on my lowers have been consistent across the board.

I won't buy another KAC stripped lower. Period. I've had 2, with 1 currently in the stable.

I've never owned the other 3.

Not on your list and also never owned by me:
(But what I wouldn't mind owning/building out)

1. LaRue
2. Vltor (because I have a Vltor MUR-1A upper and it would be cool to pin a Vltor lower to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.O.U.S.
05-31-17, 00:32
The one thing that I really want more than anything is a AR15 lower just marked as AR15. No, A2, A3,Carbine, Law enforcement, Sporter, or anything. I know this exists for Colt SP1's, but I really wish there was a version that had correct front take down pin, and trigger pin holes.

Vegas
05-31-17, 00:44

Agreed. Own both, Noveske Gen 2 all the way for me. For something inexpensive Mega forged is a winner. If ambi were something I cared about, a Mega billet would be under consideration,

VanceMMA
05-31-17, 08:30
Geissele

Paladinius
05-31-17, 08:46
KAC

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MistWolf
05-31-17, 08:56
From personal experience-
-Colt
-LRB
-PSA

Dionysusigma
05-31-17, 09:03
LMT, McKay, or Knights Armament

Furbyballer
05-31-17, 11:41
Sionics, sons of liberty gun works, Noveske, Mega, and V7 weapon systems are my go to brands for stripped lowers. I currently own all of these and should probably post a couple of them in the build forum since all of them are now SBRs or purpose built pistol lowers.

jackblack73
05-31-17, 12:54
Geissele

Does that exist? I've never seen one.

Sidneyious
05-31-17, 12:58
I would pick the one that appeals to me.

titsonritz
05-31-17, 14:13
Does that exist? I've never seen one.

LPK is as close as it gets, at least for right now.

QuickStrike
05-31-17, 16:47
Something full ambi like the new LMT lower.

RobertTheTexan
05-31-17, 16:56
LMT, McKay, or Knights Armament

McKay? Are they local to you? I've never heard of them.

Kain
05-31-17, 16:57
Something full ambi like the new LMT lower.

New LMT lower? What did I miss? Hadn't heard that they had put out a new AR15 lower that was full ambi. Please tell me more.

sig1473
05-31-17, 17:37
New LMT lower? What did I miss? Hadn't heard that they had put out a new AR15 lower that was full ambi. Please tell me more.

LMT Mars lower. Street price is ~$750

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/652377000/652377524/pix833119825.jpg

w3453l
05-31-17, 17:37

Look up MARS-L.

I still have yet to find one in stock, but I do know that people have bought them already. I did see that they were available as complete lowers too, in case you don't want to buy the full rifle.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/19/lmt-announces-mars-l-fully-ambidextrous-rifle-platform/

ETA: Post above beat me to it.

Swstock
05-31-17, 17:49
Mega forged.

Kain
05-31-17, 17:52
LMT Mars lower. Street price is ~$750

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/652377000/652377524/pix833119825.jpg

I knew of the MARS rifles. thought it was another lower or something I hadnt heard off.

squid8286
05-31-17, 19:28
I built a 20" A4 on a Mega stripped upper and lower a few months ago.. I don't know if the guy that I bougtht them from bought them as a "Matched Set," or if you can even do such a thing, but the fit and finish was head and shoulders above anything else I have ever seen or used. The fit between the two had zero play, but you could still easily push the takedown pins out. It had one of those little screws in with it to take out any play between the upper and lower, but I didn't use it, as there was no need.

26 Inf
05-31-17, 19:39
This lower, although not stripped would be fun if it wasn't so expensive: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/SCR-LWR-SS

MeanCarbine
05-31-17, 19:48
MEGA without a doubt. It's finish runs circles around my KAC.

caporider
06-01-17, 00:39
ADM. I like their implementation of an ambi bolt hold open/release the best.

Yep. True ambi bolt catch and release. Once you try ADM's version of ambi it's hard to use anything else.

JRHorne
06-01-17, 07:03
Curious, how many of you are picking a lower based on rarity alone? I will take it as given that the said rare lower is also high quality. Just curious.

556BlackRifle
06-01-17, 09:35
Of those mentioned on your list, Noveske Gen I or Gen III would be my first choice.

soulezoo
06-01-17, 17:50
I agree with above and previous. Gen III is fabulous but doesn't accept some mods. Some things it has like the flared mag well which is a good thing, doesn't accept a ready-mag very well as an example.

I have an original gen 1 and a gen 2 chainsaw. Perfect.

No experience with KAC. Limited on the others.

JulyAZ
06-01-17, 23:56
SMOS GFY, logo receiver.

ARonBoard
06-02-17, 00:23
Ambi KAC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

w3453l
06-02-17, 01:10
Curious, how many of you are picking a lower based on rarity alone? I will take it as given that the said rare lower is also high quality. Just curious.

Eh, while there are exceptions, I don't think rarity and AR's go hand in hand. Especially on this forum, I don't think you will find many that buy rifles/lowers/parts just based off of rarity.

I think the "rarest" lowers I ever had were AXTS billet lowers. I bought a few blems when they were still offered for sale as just lowers. I have to admit that AXTS was great on CS. At the moment, CA had pending legislation that would possibly make lowers impossible or more difficult to get, they sold me three blems (I was never able to find the "blem") at a discount.

I ended up gifting one to my brother, and then sold the other two.

They were and are great lowers, and today are considered somewhat rare.

For me, I just prefer plain forged lowers from reputable companies. I do like KAC ambi lowers as far as non traditional goes.

hdrolling
06-02-17, 13:24
Thanks for all the comments so far, please keep them coming as I think I already have my eye on my next lower after being in the shop today.

But for today, to keep it simple, I went with the KAC lower. The shop let me test a Pmag and a GI mag to make sure there were no fitment issues, they also put a Magpul trigger guard in minus the pins to test that everything lined up.

The other brand that they offered was Stag, but they had mostly Areo in different colors and some with US flags engraved on the sides.

I think this will be a solid start to my AR pistol build.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/FullSizeRender_zpszo3jlase.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/jkkk_zpsku6qnkjp.jpg

556BlackRifle
06-02-17, 16:28
Thanks for all the comments so far, please keep them coming as I think I already have my eye on my next lower after being in the shop today.

But for today, to keep it simple, I went with the KAC lower. The shop let me test a Pmag and a GI mag to make sure there were no fitment issues, they also put a Magpul trigger guard in minus the pins to test that everything lined up.

The other brand that they offered was Stag, but they had mostly Areo in different colors and some with US flags engraved on the sides.

Hopefully the trigger guard on your KAC lower is milled correctly. Let us know how it goes.

RobertTheTexan
06-02-17, 16:56

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/FullSizeRender_zpszo3jlase.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/jkkk_zpsku6qnkjp.jpg

Congrats it looks like your KAC has a consistent finish. Nothing like my 2nd one. Anyway. Nice looking lower. Post some pics after you build it out.

hdrolling
06-02-17, 21:18
Hopefully the trigger guard on your KAC lower is milled correctly. Let us know how it goes.

The shop let me test fit a magpul aluminum trigger guard before I agreed to buy it, I was well informed about the issue before going in. If it wasn't correct I was going with the GEN III Noveske, but that was almost twice as much. Maybe next time!

They did have a nice Gen I noveske stripped upper and lower combo that looked nice, and a 10" Noveske complete upper in 300BLK that I might get if it's still there next month.

jpmuscle
06-02-17, 21:44
Kac has a modified trigger guard shipping now for those with stripper lower fitment issues fyi.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
06-02-17, 22:43
HD if you do have any issues rest assured that KAC will be very responsive. I'm not head over heels with either of the lowers I had, but man I can only say very positive things about their CS. Kay is pure awesome sauce.

hdrolling
06-02-17, 23:36
HD if you do have any issues rest assured that KAC will be very responsive. I'm not head over heels with either of the lowers I had, but man I can only say very positive things about their CS. Kay is pure awesome sauce.

Thanks for all your help, I went into the shop knowing just what to look out for.