PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of not going back to the Military due to injury(what would you do?)

warpigM-4
09-30-08, 12:13
well let me fill you in,In 2006 I went to FT KNox to become a M1 tanker which was OSUT .,in my AIT Phase with only 5 weeks to go,I got a stress fracture in my femural neck .and was sent to Hell at the PTRP unit .(Broke dicks) I had a State recall with the Alabama National guard.

Upon coming home in Dec 06 ,My NCO's dropped the ball .I was suppose to be in PT and pain clinic ,but did not find this out till I was told I was been discharged for Non MOS qualified . sat at my house for 7 months with no follow up from my Unit or NCO.No big deal I was told ,reenlist !,You have your BCT Grad orders,start back at AIT.But My unit now has reclassed to 31 Bravo MP.No more tanks I thought this is cool I wanted to get into LE .But to this day I still have major pain in my hip and was told at first look By the ARMY DR that I need two pins in but I might be able to heal and come back.so they sent me home with a ton of pain killers and I stayed in the bed for a total of a year with walking with crutches then a cane.

Now I have a friend that is a retired COL that tells me to get a lawyer and get them to fix me or send me to school.I was so proud to wear that uniform it was the Greatest thing I had done with my life,But now with what my unit has done or the lack of what they did.I feel left behind and unsure of my future.I have the all important "Hurt in the line of duty"paper . the army broke me and i don't know where to turn for answers .I need to be x-rayed and told what is up with my hip and this pain ,will the VA help ????

Friends and family are no help they just don't understand:(.Have any of you been though this with the military or know someone who has?Thanks for reading my horror story any help would be more than I am getting from my unit. Jason

Striker5
09-30-08, 12:25
Definitely get them to fix you. Better to do it now than waiting to get out and chase the issue around after the fact.

The only other thing I could say is stay in the best shape you can. Easy to say, but injured guys usually go off the tracks and blow up which hurts their standing and effects them in the areas of fitness tests and weight/military appearance standards. Good luck with your issues.

SIGguy229
09-30-08, 13:39
Decide on what you want to do first...

1 - Get fixed. The Army broke you, they need to fix you.
2 - Do you want to stay in the Army?

Get a lawyer. Notify your congressman/senator. Have every scrap of paperwork with your name on it. Keep a log of who you talk to, when, where, and phone numbers.

Your lawyer (should you choose to get one) and the congressman/senator's staff is going to ask you what you want to do. Pick a path and stick to it.

It sounds like you fell through the cracks due to some poor leadership in your unit--I am sorry to hear that.

RogerinTPA
09-30-08, 14:15
Get the Army to fix you. The injury was sustained while on AD for training. If no go, file complaints with the Inspector General, your congressman, governor, local elected officials, etc...

murphy j
10-01-08, 02:31
The 2 statements above are excellent advice. It's obvious someone has dropped the ball and you're now going to have to pick it up and run with it. The Army broke you and are now responsible for fixing you. If they can't fix you, you should be entitled to disabilityand some sort of job training/schooling. And every time I've seen someone go to their Congressman, stuff got straightened out with a quickness. The Army doesn't like it when elected officials get involved, but if you go this route, walk in with a plan and supporting documentation for your story. Especially the supporting documentation. This way it doesn't look like you're just Joe $h!t the ragman with his panties in a knot. If your injuries don't prevent you and you stil want to serve, then do so. But remember, YOU are responsible for your health and if you run the risk of further injury or permanent debilitation, then you will need to assess whether or not the risk is worth it. As for as I'm concerned you've already served Honorably.

warpigM-4
10-01-08, 21:41
Thank you all for the support and advice!I hope and pray I can still stay in.Maybe become a translator or something,far from Combat arms that i signed on for ,but to be able to serve is the main goal .If the DR says I am GTG I will go and finish ,if not ,I guess I will look to get some college out of it.

I have every medical paper started on me at fort Knox from the first visit to the last.Plus a cd with all my bone scans,x-rays and MRI.I have my "Line of duty paper with the Army's investigation paper that states after they looked at it that I was Injured in the Line of duty.with no fault of mine.

Just before leaving FT Knox they offered me a MED 40 which I refused and would only accepted a state recall so I could come back to finish .If I would have went with a MED 40 I would be in a world of Sh*T .they slip you some cash and you sign saying you will not come back on them.I hurt a lot and have trouble with my running it is still hurting.I am staying in good shape the only thing I need to do is stop smoking !!! I still can meet the standard on my Push-ups and sit-ups.

I don't want to give up .I dreamed of being in the Military for years but due to the wife I had then it never happen till we split.I really did not have a clue and all of you have set me in the right direction .I pray I can stay. My unit still has not called me or bothered even checking in .Thank ya'll again Jason

Bigun
10-02-08, 23:26
well let me fill you in,In 2006 I went to FT KNox to become a M1 tanker which was OSUT .,in my AIT Phase with only 5 weeks to go,I got a stress fracture in my femural neck .and was sent to Hell at the PTRP unit .(Broke dicks) I had a State recall with the Alabama National guard.

Upon coming home in Dec 06 ,My NCO's dropped the ball .I was suppose to be in PT and pain clinic ,but did not find this out till I was told I was been discharged for Non MOS qualified . sat at my house for 7 months with no follow up from my Unit or NCO.No big deal I was told ,reenlist !,You have your BCT Grad orders,start back at AIT.But My unit now has reclassed to 31 Bravo MP.No more tanks I thought this is cool I wanted to get into LE .But to this day I still have major pain in my hip and was told at first look By the ARMY DR that I need two pins in but I might be able to heal and come back.so they sent me home with a ton of pain killers and I stayed in the bed for a total of a year with walking with crutches then a cane.

Now I have a friend that is a retired COL that tells me to get a lawyer and get them to fix me or send me to school.I was so proud to wear that uniform it was the Greatest thing I had done with my life,But now with what my unit has done or the lack of what they did.I feel left behind and unsure of my future.I have the all important "Hurt in the line of duty"paper . the army broke me and i don't know where to turn for answers .I need to be x-rayed and told what is up with my hip and this pain ,will the VA help ????

Friends and family are no help they just don't understand:(.Have any of you been though this with the military or know someone who has?Thanks for reading my horror story any help would be more than I am getting from my unit. JasonContact the VA immediately to get assesed for a disability, if you spent a year on your back recouperating without income you may be eligible for back pay "Pun Not Intended". Good Luck If I can be of any assistance PM me I'm both a VA Patient and a employee.

dp509
10-03-08, 04:16
Sorry for your pain. Will pray for you and hope you get what you want. ;)