PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying AR-15 barrel manufacturer

JD-Man
05-31-17, 22:04
Had two gunsmiths check it out and say the chamber was roughly finished or not completely finished and I would like to contact them t see if they would do anything about it. Carbine fails to extract rounds if chamber has just been cleaned or after 5 rounds once it gets going.

Thanks for any help.

JD

Only barrel marking I see
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170601/8f49440309d96fe4bf50116b6310bf19.jpg

Government profile
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170601/020d9791bc257d4c45a2a1f78d617383.jpg

Barrel has texture on exterior - concentric lines
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170601/d6d101e51b78a88e774a6117f3fc629f.jpg

Poor shot of the chamber - you can see concentric lines there
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170601/301b38b3a6d0fac91f22736ad93427d5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tylerw02
05-31-17, 22:17
Where did you buy it? Why did the gunsmiths that checked it out not correct the issue? It's a quick fix for a gunsmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD-Man
05-31-17, 22:53
Where did you buy it? Why did the gunsmiths that checked it out not correct the issue? It's a quick fix for a gunsmith.

Tyler,

They both said it was a job to be done on a lathe and they felt that since it was so rough the manufacturer should stand behind it. Their concern was that to polish out the rough rings inside, it might make the chamber oversized and unsafe.

tylerw02
05-31-17, 22:56
Hold on, a gunsmith without a lathe?

JD-Man
05-31-17, 23:00
Hold on, a gunsmith without a lathe?

The one had one but was concerned about oversizing the chamber. Said he could do it, but not guarantee it would clean it up if the manufacturer had used a worn bit or if it was out of spec otherwise. If I can't identify the manufacturer then I can get it done, but this was wrong from the get-go.

tylerw02
05-31-17, 23:13
Yeah I get that. Just seems most all smiths I've ever done with business with could take care of that in a hurry. Where did you buy the barrel?

Good luck with figuring out who made it.

Iraqgunz
05-31-17, 23:49
There's a reason why CIA barrels have no markings. I wouldn't waste my time with it. I am also interested as to whether you purchased direct or if it was part of some build.

GH41
06-01-17, 06:28
Yeah I get that. Just seems most all smiths I've ever done with business with could take care of that in a hurry. Where did you buy the barrel?

You cannot make a hole smaller and shorter with a lathe. I don't care who your smiths are.

naverno
06-01-17, 06:31
You cannot make a hole smaller and shorter with a lathe. I don't care who your smiths are.

Sure you can, just divide by zero. Works like a charm.

tylerw02
06-01-17, 06:36

Who said anything about smaller or shorter? If it's rough, perhaps it wasn't finished correctly with a finish reamer and/or needs polished.

JRHorne
06-01-17, 07:09
What length is it?

1_click_off
06-01-17, 08:02
You may laugh, but my grandpa had a rough chamber and he took a fired case and attached it to a dowel rod.

Put it in a drill and polished it with crest toothpaste.

BBossman
06-01-17, 08:42
.40/10mm bore mop with Flitz on a variable speed drill... bandaid worth trying.

556BlackRifle
06-01-17, 09:51
Looks like the no name crap you might see for sale from an online clearing house. Why anyone would even consider going to the trouble and expense to rework something like that is beyond me. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

titsonritz
06-01-17, 11:09
Jack handle.

556BlackRifle
06-01-17, 12:53
Jack handle.

LOL... Probably bend first use.

GH41
06-01-17, 14:10
Who said anything about smaller or shorter? If it's rough, perhaps it wasn't finished correctly with a finish reamer and/or needs polished.

Two smiths and two of the most experienced guys here basicly said the OP would be wasting his time fooling with it. Give it up.

tylerw02
06-01-17, 14:27
Two smiths and two of the most experienced guys here basicly said the OP would be wasting his time fooling with it. Give it up.

The **** is your problem? You like to put words in a guy's mouth, don't you?

Yeah it's a low-quality turd, but you're making things up. The two "smiths" didn't say that, did they? They said the manufacturer should make it right. But for what the guy probably paid these two guys he could have had one correct the problem or been halfway to a new barrel knowing most smith's prices. And he may not have $400 to drop into a new barrel when 30 minutes could fix this on.

And for ****s sake, you're not a much of a gunsmith if you don't have a lathe.

Voodoochild
06-01-17, 16:26
Everyone here needs to simmer down right freaking now. You got a problem with someone take it to PM. I don't care who started this but it ends now.

Stickman
06-01-17, 17:14
Everyone here needs to simmer down right freaking now. You got a problem with someone take it to PM. I don't care who started this but it ends now.

Thank you, sometimes people need a reminder on which board they are on.

For the OP, without knowing where you bought the barrel, I'm not sure any of us can do anything but guess as to who the manufacturer is. In addition to that, the manufacturer would most likely tell you they built it to the spec the buyer (company) wanted, and that your issue is with them.

JD-Man
06-01-17, 22:25
The barrel was on an assembled upper i originally thought was new, but now appears it was used and that is why it was at my LGS. Took it back to them but their fix was to put an O ring under the extractor for more tension. Had another shop put a Ballistic Advantage barrel on so I know what I've go now. Have a BA barrel on a 308 .build and it has worked out well for me. If I can't determine who made this I may try one of these home remedies. This upper has been a pain, but I now have it where I want it for my intended purpose. Thanks for all the feedback.

JD

tylerw02
06-02-17, 02:24
Good luck, man. At this point nothing to lose.