PDA

View Full Version : Optics choice

my9thtry
05-31-17, 22:23
Hello all,

I'm picking up a Mk12 and plan on putting Vortex PST 2.5x10x32 on it, I have it on my current 14.5 prescion build.

I'm looking for a replacement optic for the 14.5, the current PST suits me well and I'm thinking of another but can't decide between the 1-8 Strike Eagle and the new PST 1-6. SWFA has the strike eagle in sale with two p mags and a PEPR mount for 450 that's pretty hard to beat.

Anyone have an better options or advice to help drive this descion?

Smokin338
06-01-17, 01:03
Take a look at the offerings from primary arms...

Vegas
06-01-17, 01:49
Not sure you can go wrong with either Vortex. I have the 1-6 Strike Eagle and it's not bad but thought the 1-6 PST glass was much better when I looked through it (not really surprising). 1-6 is a nice spread for 14.5 imo.

muzzlebraker453
06-01-17, 05:14
i use a nightforce scope with my Barret m99 and i love it. why don't you know one of the NF scope series.

Failure2Stop
06-01-17, 10:00
What do you want it to do well?
What size targets do you expect to hit at what maximum range?
What lighting conditions do you want to use it in?
What task/condition do you anticipate for 80% use?

muzzlebraker453
06-01-17, 10:03
What do you want it to do well?
What size targets do you expect to hit at what maximum range?
What lighting conditions do you want to use it in?
What task/condition do you anticipate for 80% use?

these are all valid questions you need to ask yourself, and also if you are using it for a competition.

my9thtry
06-01-17, 20:32
I've only recently gotten into shooting longer than 100m

Right now it's very good shooting 8inch steel at 250-300 with the 2.5-10x, but I feel like for a 14.5 it's stupid heavy. I have a rainier ultra match barrel/cmr rail and with the scope on it and a bipod it's almost 11lbs loaded.

I'd like to keep the same capabilities it has currently but have a 1x for speed closer in. I was using 55gr PMC and up to 300 was no issue but when trying 450 I was not consistent at all

95% of its use will be range work and possible training classes.

I don't really know how to the lighting conditions question.. Normal daytime use?

Thanks for the thorough response.

Failure2Stop
06-02-17, 11:54
I can't emphasize enough how important the ability to accurately and consistently hold for environmental factors (wind) is to be successful past 300.
To this end, I vastly prefer to have horizontal indicators of wind holds at distance than any other horizontal reference in a reticle.
8x will limit the ability of the shooter to self-spot and identify targets past much more than 300.
Of course, one can still put bullets onto target at long range (1100 meters with an 8x), but being able to see the miss/confirm the hit is a huge advantage.

Pappabear
06-02-17, 17:16
Based on what you have said, your 1-8 might do you just fine. I've been wanting to try a 1-8 but the one I want is a US OPTICS or possible a Bushnell and the price tag goes up from Vortex world.

I still like what you get from vortex for the price. I just wish they had a more robust external turret but for the price.....

PB

my9thtry
06-03-17, 21:27
I agree F2S I am not particularly fond of the bdc type reticle of the strike eagle. I'd rather have a more useful reticle. That's what was pushing me to the 1-6 PST. But I don't think it's enough mag for what I want to do.

I'm going to head to the range tomorrow and use my current scope on 6x and 8x and see how I feel.

I may just purchase another 2.5-10

Pappabear
06-06-17, 13:27
I prefer a nice mil dot, but for shooting out to 600 yards, those BDC reticle work pretty darn well. If you learn the reticle and your ammo, you may hold a little high or little low and be GTG.

I always zero at furthest distance then consider if my gun is zero'd at 50-100-200 or whatever.

I also wish the vortex was mil turrets , which it isn't. Again, we are talking cheap stuff. I might give that 1-8 strike a chance. Wonder if which of those sub $500 scopes is the best.

Mark just finished up a Colt 6720 ( I think -pencil barrel ) with RISII, A5, SSA, KNIGHTS AMBI, ......mount brake for my Sig Ti cans. I was thinking of tossing that bugger on it trying CQB with some 600 yards dinks

PB
PB

Pappabear
06-06-17, 13:31
Hello all,

I'm picking up SWFA has the strike eagle in sale with two p mags and a PEPR mount for 450 that's pretty hard to beat.
?

Very hard to beat. I saw the same thing and caught my attention. I have a friend that gets me good prices on Vortex and still I wonder if he can beat that.

jstalford
06-06-17, 15:24
Based on what you have said, your 1-8 might do you just fine. I've been wanting to try a 1-8 but the one I want is a US OPTICS or possible a Bushnell and the price tag goes up from Vortex world.

I still like what you get from vortex for the price. I just wish they had a more robust external turret but for the price.....

PB

Coworker of mine just snagged a bushnell 1-8.5 on gunbroker for like $700. Not a bad way to get your feet wet...

Vegas
06-07-17, 02:02
Any love for the Burris XTR 1-5? They seemed to be well priced right now with the $100 rebate.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Colnago
06-07-17, 08:49
Maybe my eyes are getting old, but for things out past 400 yards, I find 10 power to be really helpful. I am in the process of looking for a scope for my SPR to shoot out to ~700 yards. I am going to upgrade from the 1-8 I have today to something with a bit more magnification. If I could get a deal on a night force 2-10, thinking that is the right fit given that it is relatively light and compact. Might be a good fit for your application

2ac
06-07-17, 19:00
I run the Vortex 2.5-10x32 on my SPR..

my9thtry
06-09-17, 23:30
I was able to get another good session in, making solid hits @550 went 5/12 with 55gr Walmart special federal. At 250 both my wife and I can go 10/10.

I'm really thinking about another 2.5-10, the 1-6 and 1-8 PST are both heavier. Id really like to have something 1x but having the ability reach out with 10x and the price is right.

longshot2000
09-18-17, 18:00
Some good questions and good advice already.

I think you should think about whether you want a BDC reticle or not (I see some comments, but not sure where you are leaning). I could not use 14-1/2" barrel and precision in the same sentence. The M4 is designed for fast target acquisition and clearing buildings and not bumping into stuff. Your Mk12 is a precision rifle. For shorter barreled rifles, I like the lower magnification alot. Maybe a nice blend of red dot and BDC ? Find the target, get on it, shoot. If you don't like BDC, you still should be looking at something like 1-4x (maybe and ACOG ?), 1-5x (Burris XTR-ii), 1-6x (PST-1 or PST-2 or Leupold Mk6), 1-8x (Burris XTR-ii, Leupold Mk8). Some ideas there. I think you can find a great scope in the low-mag at reasonable prices. btw, I would stay away from Strike Eagle. Just not in the same league as some of the others I mentioned.

Take some time, explore and have fun.