PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5" SOCOM optimum buffer weight

Cincinnatus15
06-04-17, 14:02
I've generally run H buffers in carbine length gas systems and never had an issue. Will an H buffer be alright in a 14.5" SOCOM or is there a more appropriate buffer weight I should use?

06-04-17, 14:07
The government M4A1 uses an H2.

NYH1
06-04-17, 15:15
I'd go with a H2 buffer and a Sprinco blue spring (not that you asked about the spring).

Good luck, NYH1.

Cincinnatus15
06-04-17, 16:09
What advantages would an H2 and blue spring provide? From my limited research it will reduce the recoil impulse/wear on the parts, however with weaker ammo it may not cycle properly? I'm looking for maximum reliability across the board.

Kenneth
06-04-17, 17:44
I would get an A5 system with an A5H0 or an A5H1.

Most of your 14.5 barrels are extremely over gassed and using th heavier buffer and spring will slow the cycling down.

Slower cycling will reduce the amount of recoil from the bolt carrier slamming to the rear. Then reduce it from muzzle dipping from bouncing when it slams home.

Personally I run an H2 in my 14.5 and currently looking for an A5 system with an A5H1 or A5H2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYH1
06-04-17, 18:12
We use H2 buffers and Sprinco blue springs in all our M4's with 16" barrels, carbine length gas systems and buffer tubes/stocks setups.

My friend lives in a free state and has a Commando setup. 11.5" barrel, H2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring. That is the smoothest shooting M4/AR type carbine/rifle I've ever fired. You can shoot it as fast as you want and the front sight doesn't move off target unless you push or pull it off with you trigger finger. It's amazing, as fast as you can shoot it, were you aim it is were they go!

I figure if that setup works in 11.5" Commando to 16" carbine setups and the 14.5" M4A1 uses the H2 buffer, adding a Sprinco blue spring is just my opinion (others like Sionics too) and has worked well for us in our setups.

The littlest ammo we shoot is Federal American Eagle 223 55gr. ammo. Mostly we shoot 5.56 ammo, usually 55gr. sometimes 62 gr. Reliability is fine with everything we shoot through them.

Good luck, NYH1.

***Edited to add***
His barrel is a Sionics 11.5" light weight barrel.

Cincinnatus15
06-04-17, 18:28
We use H2 buffers and Sprinco blue springs in all our M4's with 16" barrels, carbine length gas systems and buffer tubes/stocks setups.

My friend lives in a free state and has a Commando setup. 11.5" barrel, H2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring. That is the smoothest shooting M4/AR type carbine/rifle I've ever fired. You can shoot it as fast as you want and the front sight doesn't move off target unless you push or pull it off with you trigger finger. It's amazing, as fast as you can shoot it, were you aim it is were they go!

I figure if that setup works in 11.5" Commando to 16" carbine setups and the 14.5" M4A1 uses the H2 buffer, adding a Sprinco blue spring is just my opinion (others like Sionics too) and has worked well for us in our setups.

The littlest ammo we shoot is Federal American Eagle 223 55gr. ammo. Mostly we shoot 5.56 ammo, usually 55gr. sometimes 62 gr. Reliability is fine with everything we shoot through them.

Good luck, NYH1.

***Edited to add***
His barrel is a Sionics 11.5" light weight barrel.

Great information, I appreciate it.

seb5
06-04-17, 20:26
I have 3 BCM and a Noveske 14.5 middie and they all run well with an H. I'll generally throw in the H2 if I'm shooting genuine .mil 5.56.

Iraqgunz
06-05-17, 00:41
An H2 and Sprinco blue will work with quite a few loads. In fact, it will even work with an H3 buffer will NATO ammo.

Cincinnatus15
06-05-17, 05:55
What would work best across the board, in theory? I will be shooting wolf gold, prvi, federal, am eagle mostly but I'd like to be able to throw anything in it and have it function.

EDIT: I didn't mention that this rifle will have a defensive application being used as a primary HD weapon. Most likely using m193 as my round of choice. Obviously I will test function with the spring/buffer combination I choose. I'm just trying to minimize cost and take some guess work and time out of the process of getting this rifle ready for HD duty.

BufordTJustice
06-05-17, 07:54
What would work best across the board, in theory? I will be shooting wolf gold, prvi, federal, am eagle mostly but I'd like to be able to throw anything in it and have it function.

EDIT: I didn't mention that this rifle will have a defensive application being used as a primary HD weapon. Most likely using m193 as my round of choice. Obviously I will test function with the spring/buffer combination I choose. I'm just trying to minimize cost and take some guess work and time out of the process of getting this rifle ready for HD duty.
What 'gunz rec'd above; sprinco blue and an H2.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Cincinnatus15
06-26-17, 08:08
I've put a little over 500 rounds through the 14.5 SOCOM and had one double feed using a D&H mag around the 100 round mark. I also had one round fail to go off around the 200 round mark, I was shooting Wolf Gold on both occasions. It didn't appear to be a light primer strike but rather a dead primer or something, not sure. I've installed a Sprinco Blue spring and H2 buffer due to the recommendation of several members of the forum. Recoil impulse didn't seem to change (for me), but I feel I am able to get back on target more quickly due to the extra momentum of the heavier spring and buffer sending the BCG back into battery with more authority. I've shot over 200 rounds using the Sprinco spring and H2 buffer and haven't had a hiccup using Wolf Gold or PPU M193. I zeroed the rifle yesterday and held ~2" group at 100 yds shooting from the prone position, mag rested on the ground, and using an Aimpoint PRO and PPU M193. All in all the 14.5 SOCOM is a nice compact (little heavy) and accurate set up. With the stock in position 0 I can turn 180 degrees in a vehicle with the windows down and maneuvering the weapon during CQB and through thick foliage is a bit easier than with a 16". I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone comes along this thread in the future and is curious about a similar set up.

EDIT: I meant to mention how pleased I was with the accuracy of the BCM barrel (FN?), using a 2 MOA dot and shooting ~2 inch group is pushing the accuracy potential of the Aimpoint PRO/Rifle combination. The BCM PNT trigger in the lower also feels very good for a Mil-Spec trigger.

MistWolf
06-26-17, 11:04
I have a Colt 6920 rebarreled with a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel. It's a smooth shooter with an H buffer and the factory action spring, suppressed or unsuppressed. Ammo used has been Federal and Remington 55 grain. I haven't tried an H2 buffer or a blue spring yet. The difference in shooting and handling between the 14.5" SOCOM and the 16" 6920 barrel is subtle, but I like the SOCOM barrel much better

TexasAggie2005
06-26-17, 12:51
I run a Geissele Super42 setup with an H2 on my Colt 14.5" SOCOM.

Runs great suppressed and unsuppressed with all the different ammo I've tried.

markm
06-26-17, 14:11
I'd run an h2 with the g.I. spring. My socom is gassed very nicely and need no nonsense springs or buffers to run. It even runs suppressed very smoothly.

NYH1
06-27-17, 20:59
I've put a little over 500 rounds through the 14.5 SOCOM and had one double feed using a D&H mag around the 100 round mark. I also had one round fail to go off around the 200 round mark, I was shooting Wolf Gold on both occasions. It didn't appear to be a light primer strike but rather a dead primer or something, not sure. I've installed a Sprinco Blue spring and H2 buffer due to the recommendation of several members of the forum. Recoil impulse didn't seem to change (for me), but I feel I am able to get back on target more quickly due to the extra momentum of the heavier spring and buffer sending the BCG back into battery with more authority. I've shot over 200 rounds using the Sprinco spring and H2 buffer and haven't had a hiccup using Wolf Gold or PPU M193. I zeroed the rifle yesterday and held ~2" group at 100 yds shooting from the prone position, mag rested on the ground, and using an Aimpoint PRO and PPU M193. All in all the 14.5 SOCOM is a nice compact (little heavy) and accurate set up. With the stock in position 0 I can turn 180 degrees in a vehicle with the windows down and maneuvering the weapon during CQB and through thick foliage is a bit easier than with a 16". I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone comes along this thread in the future and is curious about a similar set up.

EDIT: I meant to mention how pleased I was with the accuracy of the BCM barrel (FN?), using a 2 MOA dot and shooting ~2 inch group is pushing the accuracy potential of the Aimpoint PRO/Rifle combination. The BCM PNT trigger in the lower also feels very good for a Mil-Spec trigger.

Glad it worked out for you!

NYH1.

slowrx
06-27-17, 22:04
In my old Noveske 14.5 I ran an H buffer with zero issues. It ate pretty much any ammo I put in it without a hiccup.

Caduceus
06-27-17, 22:14
Light reading for the OP

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable

Iraqgunz
06-27-17, 22:54
It's also an apples to oranges comparison.

In my old Noveske 14.5 I ran an H buffer with zero issues. It ate pretty much any ammo I put in it without a hiccup.

NYH1
06-28-17, 13:08
Light reading for the OP

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable

Good read.

I've haven't tried a H3 buffer yet, I do have one. Also have a Sprinco Red (extra power) spring as well, haven't tried it yet either.

I do use their extra power 5-coil extractor springs with their black extractor inserts in all our AR/M4's. I don't use viton O-rings in any of them.

NYH1.