PDA

View Full Version : Mlok screw pushing on gas tube

NothingClever
06-05-17, 22:54
So I just got an Aero Quantum for a great deal. I installed it and I needed a rail section for my dbal d2. No problem I thought. But as I started installing it and tightening the screws I noticed the started to touch and then push on the gas tube.

It's ever so slight. Maybe 3/4 of a turn. I watched the gas tube move a tiny tiny bit. Do you guys think it'll be an issue?

Pics of screw touching and the set up in question:

Clint
06-05-17, 23:40
Pressure on the gas tube is generally bad.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is excess screw length.

Try shortening the existing screws or using shorter ones.

NothingClever
06-06-17, 10:23
Pressure on the gas tube is generally bad.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is excess screw length.

Try shortening the existing screws or using shorter ones.

So it was eating away at me all night. At 1am I still wasn't sleeping so I took it off and chopped the screw in question. It doesn't touch anymore but now I worry I cut too much off and it'll break under force. Sigh....I can't win lol. I put loctite on it so we will see what happens.

caporider
06-06-17, 11:25
So it was eating away at me all night. At 1am I still wasn't sleeping so I took it off and chopped the screw in question. It doesn't touch anymore but now I worry I cut too much off and it'll break under force. Sigh....I can't win lol. I put loctite on it so we will see what happens.

Magpul sells shorter MLOK screws if you want to replace the one you cut.

RustyIron
06-06-17, 14:18
Shorten the screw.

titsonritz
06-06-17, 14:33
Shorten the screw.

Read post 3. He needs to lengthen the screw.

RustyIron
06-06-17, 15:28
Read post 3. He needs to lengthen the screw.

Sorry. My brother-in-law borrowed my Screw Stretcher and never gave it back.

NothingClever
06-06-17, 16:28
Magpul sells shorter MLOK screws if you want to replace the one you cut.

I have extras laying around but it's probably easier just to go this route. Thank you for the info. I didn't know they had shorter screws. :thank_you2:

tigershilone
06-06-17, 19:08
how many full turns do you get the screw into the block now? If it is 3 or better you are good to go. Two and half would be marginal.

I don't have my machinery handbook in front of me right now but 3-4 threads will carry almost all of the load that can be applied by a threaded fastener.

If you would like a quick tutorial on threaded fasteners this is a pretty good link http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Metal_Working/Screws/

MistWolf
06-06-17, 19:20

Shortening the screw won't cause it to break under force. Just be sure you have at least a half thread past the nut. I full thread would be better, if it fits

NothingClever
06-06-17, 19:35
how many full turns do you get the screw into the block now? If it is 3 or better you are good to go. Two and half would be marginal.

I don't have my machinery handbook in front of me right now but 3-4 threads will carry almost all of the load that can be applied by a threaded fastener.

If you would like a quick tutorial on threaded fasteners this is a pretty good link http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Metal_Working/Screws/

Yikes. Now I'm nervous lol. Def not three or four.

Shortening the screw won't cause it to break under force. Just be sure you have at least a half thread past the nut. I full thread would be better, if it fits

I'd say one.

I'm going to try again tonight with one of my extras. When I started I think it was 7-8 threads. Now I'm at 4-5. At least now I know exactly what to do. Thanks guys.

bfoosh006
06-09-17, 16:57
Deleted

NothingClever
06-09-17, 17:39
BTW... just watch a slow motion video showing barrel whip....

Be glad you over-chopped... much cheaper in the long run !

I've seen one before hence why I was so nervous. But the lazy part of my didn't want to F with it after it was done lol. I'm glad my OCD won out. Got a spare screw and chopped it to a good length. Now gtg