PDA

View Full Version : Pat Mac on Comedy Central

AKDoug
06-06-17, 13:47
With Jordan Klepper... http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/vek0yl/stand-up-jordan-solves-previews/tmcgtz (sorry for the ad you have to watch)

I'm a little disappointed that Mac thinks waiting periods are o.k.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="//media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:4a098d60-71bb-4b95-aec8-6df3e237bbba" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div></div>

Alex V
06-06-17, 14:06
As does he on UBC. Not sure I'm cool with that either.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-06-17, 14:18
As does he on UBC. Not sure I'm cool with that either.

The skinny jeans guy says he likes guns, but the real change needed is that he has the right to a gun. He brings up 35,000 deaths- which includes suicides- and if all you have on the other side of the ledger is that the gun is fun, people can legislate and use the courts to take away our rights.

In a rational world, UBCs and waiting periods make sense. We live in an irrational world filled with irrational people. UBCs are really just registration and a ex that threatens violence usually pops faster than a waiting period. Hell, I buy most of my guns online so there is a 'waiting period' baked in on shipping and the FFL.

It looks like the consensus the skinny jean guy comes to is the 'common sense' ideas that Progressives have been pushing for 20 years and that guns are fun to shoot. What a win for us. The reality is that gun ownership and gun rights are gaining ground, not losing it.

Coal Dragger
06-06-17, 14:21
Waiting periods aren't by cup of tea, but if you were exempt if you held a CCW license or had some other recognizable training and background certification I could deal with it.

Universal background checks are also not an issue to me so long as I'm not required to maintain a 4473 if I sell a gun, and I'm not forced to go through an FFL to make a private sale. If there were a system in place that made it easy to run a background check on a private party sale of a firearm, I would utilize it.

Inkslinger
06-06-17, 14:25
You two better not let Mac hear you saying that....yikes!

Coal Dragger
06-06-17, 14:28
Yeah I wouldn't want to be on his bad side. He's a great guy and I had a ton of fun in class with him, but pretty sure you don't want him mad at you.

Alex V
06-06-17, 14:55

Yeah I wouldn't want to be on his bad side. He's a great guy and I had a ton of fun in class with him, but pretty sure you don't want him mad at you.

He is.... intense.... I have taken a class with him.

He runs around with sand bags that weight more than me, but despite that, I am still allowed to disagree with his position on this.

Digital_Damage
06-06-17, 14:56
I'm a little disappointed that Mac thinks waiting periods are o.k.

I'm actually fine with them, unless you produce a restraining order (domestic or other) or CCW. My county does that.

A large percentage of domestic shootings occur immediately after the purchasing of a firearm, telling someone to cool off is a reasonable idea.

AKDoug
06-06-17, 15:06
A large percentage of domestic shootings occur immediately after the purchasing of a firearm, telling someone to cool off is a reasonable idea.

Source?

Whiskey_Bravo
06-06-17, 15:09
Waiting periods aren't by cup of tea, but if you were exempt if you held a CCW license or had some other recognizable training and background certification I could deal with it.

Universal background checks are also not an issue to me so long as I'm not required to maintain a 4473 if I sell a gun, and I'm not forced to go through an FFL to make a private sale. If there were a system in place that made it easy to run a background check on a private party sale of a firearm, I would utilize it.

You wouldn't need to maintain a 4473 if universal background checks were a thing, since there would be a defacto national gun registry at that point. Then the writing is on the wall for confiscation and involuntary turn ins to begin. See UK, Australia, etc.

I don't agree with waiting periods either. The only exception is if you have a restraining order or something similar placed on you due to domestic violence.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-06-17, 15:11

Wow, so we are warning people not to disagree with a well known training now? Sounds awesome. I disagree with him for the record.

Digital_Damage
06-06-17, 15:15
Source?

Only have the stats that are widely quoted during all legal arguments in reference to the waiting periods.

from 1990 - 2005 63% of domestic incidents involving a firearm that results In a shooting were purchased within 48 hours.

The flip side to that is being threatened with a gun (not actually involving a shooting) only involves 22% of firearms purchased within a 48 hour period .

Todd.K
06-06-17, 15:21
Just because he is some celebrity trainer doesn't mean he isn't wrong.

Background checks and UBC sound all "reasonable" to keep guns out of "the wrong hands". Until you open the local small town newspaper and peruse the sentencing. There are REGULARLY felon in possession sentencing IN DAYS. As in 10 or 15 F*ing DAYS.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-06-17, 15:30
Only have the stats that are widely quoted during all legal arguments in reference to the waiting periods.

from 1990 - 2005 63% of domestic incidents involving a firearm that results In a shooting were purchased within 48 hours.

The flip side to that is being threatened with a gun (not actually involving a shooting) only involves 22% of firearms purchased within a 48 hour period .

I searched " from 1990-2005 63% of domestic incidents involving a firearm..." a few different ways and the only place I could find it was an anti gun website(smartgunlaws.org), and it's only reference was a "recent survey". Not saying it isn't right, but I couldn't find legit numbers on it.

AKDoug
06-06-17, 15:30
As an FFL, I know first hand that the NICS check is a joke. I've had two people denied (and are still fighting the FBI over it) for no reason at all. The process to get reinstated is ridiculous. On the flip side I've seen where people are denied weeks after purchase and it takes months for the ATF to bother to go retrieve the gun.

I could care less how easy a gun is to get in regards to DV. Hammers, chainsaws, poison and motor vehicles are all handy to the perp with no waiting period and none of them are constitutionally protected.

Coal Dragger
06-06-17, 15:32
Wow, so we are warning people not to disagree with a well known training now? Sounds awesome. I disagree with him for the record.

Not really. Pat is cool, he's not going to get mad at someone for a difference of opinion on something pretty small like this.

Digital_Damage
06-06-17, 15:37
I searched " from 1990-2005 63% of domestic incidents involving a firearm..." a few different ways and the only place I could find it was an anti gun website(smartgunlaws.org), and it's only reference was a "recent survey". Not saying it isn't right, but I couldn't find legit numbers on it.

It is constantly brought up in court cases when waiting periods are challenged in more liberal counties. it is a fairly famous stat that is heavily slanted by the early 90's.

I do find it interesting that nothing has been researched in the last 10 years. I would suspect that it has dropped significantly since it is so easy for felons to get one on the street now, so no records.

Coal Dragger
06-06-17, 15:37
You wouldn't need to maintain a 4473 if universal background checks were a thing, since there would be a defacto national gun registry at that point. Then the writing is on the wall for confiscation and involuntary turn ins to begin. See UK, Australia, etc.

I don't agree with waiting periods either. The only exception is if you have a restraining order or something similar placed on you due to domestic violence.

The only way I'd be willing to support universal background checks would be if it were made illegal to maintain any long term record of the transaction. Additionally I would not support any record of what type of firearm was changing hands. The scope would have to be limited to: is this prospective buyer eligible to buy a firearm. That's it. Full stop. Beyond that the Feds should know nothing else about a private party transaction.

Alex V
06-06-17, 15:50
We don't have waiting periods per se even in NJ. Sure I have to wait for my FID card, but with it I can go into a store and walk out with a long gun. And that is NJ, the second or third shittiest state for firearm ownership!

A woman was killed by her ex-bf waiting for her pistol purchase permit. F waiting periods.

Inkslinger
06-06-17, 16:37

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms:derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More
Feedback

tb-av
06-06-17, 16:53
In a rational world, UBCs and waiting periods make sense. We live in an irrational world filled with irrational people.

That's the whole ball of wax right there. .. and Liberals think that forcing you to do what you know to be rational would make -everyone- become rational.

Hell if everyone were rational and moral we would need no laws.

tylerw02
06-06-17, 17:36
Waiting periods on firearms is a bad thing. Perhaps we need waiting periods on the first amendment, where if I tell you to **** off, you cannot respond for 99 years. I don't care if you're a random poster on this forum or a celebrity firearms instructor, if you support waiting periods you're WRONG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fledge
06-06-17, 17:43
I'll support waiting periods when the Press has to wait 10 days before publishing their hearsay. Until then, rights are risky but human and should not be infringed under any circumstances.

A firearms instructor may be great at small arms combat and suck at political philosophy. Two different things.

Dist. Expert 26
06-06-17, 19:44
This is a great example of why people should stay in their lane.

I have nothing but respect for Pat and the things he's done for this country. But that doesn't make his political opinions any more valid than the next guy.

tb-av
06-06-17, 22:19
This is a great example of why people should stay in their lane.

I have nothing but respect for Pat and the things he's done for this country. But that doesn't make his political opinions any more valid than the next guy.

Have to agree and will add that if you are as high a profile person as he is.... NEVER EVER let a Liberal have the power to edit your thoughts and words.

This whole thing looks like another Liberal con game wrapped up in the guise of comedy. One of their favorite vehicles.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-07-17, 01:21
It is constantly brought up in court cases when waiting periods are challenged in more liberal counties. it is a fairly famous stat that is heavily slanted by the early 90's.

I do find it interesting that nothing has been researched in the last 10 years. I would suspect that it has dropped significantly since it is so easy for felons to get one on the street now, so no records.

Illegal guns were hard to get 10 years ago?

MegademiC
06-07-17, 06:54
Waiting periods are not acceptable.
Ubc are unenforceable and will lead to a way to make it enforceable (4733 for all transacrions?), so that is unacceptable as well.

You don't need a background check to make sure you can exercise your rights. Maybe we should put a waiting period on news reports and comedy posts? Maybe we should do medical evals and background checks to make sure you can post online or speak in public. Someone somewhere thinks that's a great idea.

Too many people ask why not, when they should ask "why". Me having *insert item* is not encroaching on people's rights, so anything preventing me from obtaining it is wrong.

Digital_Damage
06-07-17, 07:09
Illegal guns were hard to get 10 years ago?

The number of personal firearms produced in the last 15 years is staggering compared to the 15 before that. Ownership % has never been higher. So I suspect due to that, the number stolen from stores and people has also sharply increased.

Just speculation though.

MichaelVain
06-07-17, 09:09
I loved his TAPS class, and as an instructor, I thought he was very good.

His opinion on UBC's and waiting periods leaves me very disappointed.

JoshNC
06-07-17, 21:16
I would have no problem with a UBC provided that it was a simple binary yes/no response that contained absolutely no information re: firearm type, serial number, etc. It would only be answering the question "can this person buy a firearm". This would take away any ability to create a registry of firearms.

The issue is that the gun prohibitions are not reasonable people and they constantly work to incrementally erode our 2a rights, one small piece at a time - death by a thousand cuts. They have proven time and again that they are duplicitous in their stated intentions. There is no compromising when the ultimate goal of those with whom you are compromising is to severely restrict our rights, especially if UBCs contain information about the firearm, which could be used in creating a registry.

Also, "Compromise" means both sides get something. How about this - we give them UBCs (without any identifying info re: the firearm) in exchange for repeal of the NFA, 1968 GCA, and 922(o).

JulyAZ
06-07-17, 22:30
For what it's worth. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/15176c6c6d4d673ad37bcf85e86d4591.png

tylerw02
06-07-17, 22:39
That still doesn't change the fact that he said he's cool with it, edited or not. He didn't deny the claim.

26 Inf
06-07-17, 23:34
That still doesn't change the fact that he said he's cool with it, edited or not. He didn't deny the claim.

Many folks get introduced to firearms through the military and develop their love of weapons in that venue. It is not that hard to understand how someone who has had that experience, if that is PM's experience, has a different view than someone born and raised NRA ILA.

I can not see thinking less of someone because they think folks ought to have their shit together enough to figure they want a gun 3 days before they need one, and need to have enough patience to wait three days until they get to take a spur of the moment purchase home, even if I feel differently.

Same thing on the UBC's. I would be all over UBC's if they were not a permanent record, and did not identify me as the seller, or the weapon sold.

tylerw02
06-07-17, 23:44
Many folks get introduced to firearms through the military and develop their love of weapons in that venue. It is not that hard to understand how someone who has had that experience, if that is PM's experience, has a different view than someone born and raised NRA ILA.

I can not see thinking less of someone because they think folks ought to have their shit together enough to figure they want a gun 3 days before they need one, and need to have enough patience to wait three days until they get to take a spur of the moment purchase home, even if I feel differently.

Same thing on the UBC's. I would be all over UBC's if they were not a permanent record, and did not identify me as the seller, or the weapon sold.

That's ok, you can be wrong too ;)

I don't care what his reason for the position is, the backlash is justified. We don't give a thief a pass because he was raised in such an environment. Or a drunk driver a pass because all his friends do it too.

I have to wonder, why join a military and fight for a constitution you don't agree with? We can only hope he hasn't thought it through and will have a change of heart.

And **** universal background checks. We need to get rid of background checks altogether, not expand them.

AKDoug
06-08-17, 01:24
He doubled down. Don't get me wrong, I respect the Hell out of him as an instructor, but I sure am disappointed in his lack of understanding of "shall not be infringed". 45974

tylerw02
06-08-17, 01:45
Very disappointing. I don't think I could take any classes with him at this point.

Iraqgunz
06-08-17, 02:25
A large percentage of all statistics are made up.

I'm actually fine with them, unless you produce a restraining order (domestic or other) or CCW. My county does that.

jpmuscle
06-08-17, 02:32
I would have no problem with a UBC provided that it was a simple binary yes/no response that contained absolutely no information re: firearm type, serial number, etc. It would only be answering the question "can this person buy a firearm". This would take away any ability to create a registry of firearms.

The issue is that the gun prohibitions are not reasonable people and they constantly work to incrementally erode our 2a rights, one small piece at a time - death by a thousand cuts. They have proven time and again that they are duplicitous in their stated intentions. There is no compromising when the ultimate goal of those with whom you are compromising is to severely restrict our rights, especially if UBCs contain information about the firearm, which could be used in creating a registry.

Also, "Compromise" means both sides get something. How about this - we give them UBCs (without any identifying info re: the firearm) in exchange for repeal of the NFA, 1968 GCA, and 922(o).
This infuriates me to no end. UBCs are a non starter for a host of reasons...

BUT

Wtf why is the dems can spout on and on about how UBCs will save lives blah blah but noone in politics bothers to call them out on their intellectual dishonesty? Meaning if UBCs (done the right way) are the end all be hall to stopping interpersonal violence utilizing firearms (bc the term gun violence is the result of diminished mental capacity) then why the hell can't we get a comprehensive compromise on SBRs, suppressors, NFA, the 68 GCA, etc? Afterall only the right people would have access to guns with UBCs.....

I know the answer and I'm being rhetorical but it Burns me to my soul....

As for Pat I'm deeply saddened by his comments.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 02:34

BUT

Wtf why is the dems can spout on and on about how UBCs will save lives blah blah but noone in politics bothers to call them out on their intellectual dishonesty? Meaning if UBCs (done the right way) are the end all be hall to stopping interpersonal violence utilizing firearms (bc the term gun violence is the result of diminished mental capacity) then why the hell can't we get a comprehensive compromise on SBRs, suppressors, NFA, the 68 GCA, etc? Afterall only the right people would have access to guns with UBCs.....

Probably because the people on both sides of the aisle either agree with UBCs or sure as shit don't want any compromise RE: SBRs, suppressors, etc. :(

tylerw02
06-08-17, 02:35

BUT

Or you suggest applying the same litmus test to other constitutional rights. How about UBCs before attending a mosque? Writing a blog? Working in media?

tylerw02
06-08-17, 02:39
Probably because the people on both sides of the aisle either agree with UBCs or sure as shit don't want any compromise RE: SBRs, suppressors, etc. :(

Who says we need to compromise anything? We can have our cake and eat it to if we get the pubs to do their job.

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 03:41
Who says we need to compromise anything? We can have our cake and eat it to if we get the pubs to do their job.

"people on both sides of the aisle either agree with UBCs or sure as shit don't want any compromise"

tylerw02
06-08-17, 03:46
"people on both sides of the aisle either agree with UBCs or sure as shit don't want any compromise"

Quoting yourself doesn't drive your point. I honestly think you need to reread it. Doubt many democrats disagree with ubcs and there aren't many republicans for them; however I'll bet many republicans are quite willing to compromise.

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 03:51
Quoting yourself doesn't drive your point. I honestly think you need to reread it. Doubt many democrats disagree with ubcs and there aren't many republicans for them; however I'll bet many republicans are quite willing to compromise.

Are you up late drinking? Have you not had access to the internet for the last 4 months? Are you letting an erotic asphyxiation fetish affect your intelligence level?

You are not going to get "the pubs to do their job". They can't even pass healthcare or tax reform - items that their donors, constituents, and party members actually want. You think you're going to get them to do anything positive for "SBRs, suppressors, etc"?

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 03:53
I'm holding off buying a suppressor because Trump is going to get the HPA passed. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 03:54

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 03:54

Eurodriver
06-08-17, 03:55
This forum has gone full retard. :help:

tylerw02
06-08-17, 04:22
This forum has gone full retard. :help:

Yeah, you could cease posting for a bit. As you can see from this very thread...your post is silly. And quit acting like a fool. You're neither cute or clever.