PDA

View Full Version : Ma trigger came in, ?

Sidneyious
06-06-17, 20:19
I have not seen this silver ring thing before, what's it for?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/e3afd1a5a6496f6c620126b49ef1a964.jpg

nate89
06-06-17, 20:22
I will take a wild guess that you have a Geissele G2S, but listing what trigger out of the hundreds available for sale would help.

Sidneyious
06-06-17, 20:26
Yes g2s, sorry

wigbones
06-06-17, 20:29
It's a retaining clip for the hammer pin.

Sidneyious
06-06-17, 20:33
If I use anti rotation links will I need it?

wigbones
06-06-17, 20:42
If you use something like kns pins you wouldn't need it. I believe Geissele advises against using anti rotation pins with their triggers though.

Sidneyious
06-06-17, 20:47
I did read that they advise against it, but I never found out why.

Sure you or that guy may never see the pins walk but that other guy and the one next to him have had pins walk.

SteveL
06-06-17, 21:16
The G2S doesn't use a regular J spring in the hammer to prevent the hammer pin from walking out. That's what this piece is for.

I recommend using the pins that came with trigger.

Iraqgunz
06-06-17, 22:11
If pins walk, it's because of out of spec trash or improper assembly.

I did read that they advise against it, but I never found out why.

Sure you or that guy may never see the pins walk but that other guy and the one next to him have had pins walk.

hdrolling
06-06-17, 22:20
If I use anti rotation links will I need it?

The KNS Precision Gen G .1550 Trigger Group Pins are made to work with Geissele triggers

Geissele triggers are designed to work with slightly oversized pins (.1550) and thus its recommended to use these pins when using a Geissele trigger.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KNS_Precision_Gen_G_1550_Trigger_Group_Pins_p/kns-gen-g-bk.htm

Sidneyious
06-06-17, 22:20
Well I do have a spikes lower so I'm sure by this forums standards it's out of spec trash?

SteveL
06-06-17, 22:26
Well I do have a spikes lower so I'm sure by this forums standards it's out of spec trash?

It's not a forum favorite but based on what I've seen their standard forged lowers are fine. Install your G2S trigger according to the instructions and you shouldn't have any problems.

Sidneyious
06-06-17, 22:28
Well I looked around and somehow in a 2 foot squared area and the clip is gone.

Not sure how or why it vanished but it's literally non existent.

If I lose something it's gone for good, my luck.

SteveL
06-06-17, 22:29
Well I looked around and somehow in a 2 foot squared area and the clip is gone.

Not sure how or why it vanished but it's literally non existent.

If I lose something it's gone for good, my luck.

IIRC the trigger comes with two in the package.

Iraqgunz
06-06-17, 22:29
Ok, I'll bite. Why do you think you need them?

My response was in regards to this- Sure you or that guy may never see the pins walk but that other guy and the one next to him have had pins walk. ,not your particular situation. Of course, you are obviously smarter on the issue than most of us.

Tigereye
06-07-17, 05:36
IIRC the trigger comes with two in the package.

Mine came with 2.

Sidneyious
06-07-17, 08:00
I had 1

I choose to go with them as like many said due to tolerance and like I always say.

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Most say you don't, most say what harm could it cause?

hdrolling
06-07-17, 08:15
I had 1

I choose to go with them as like many said due to tolerance and like I always say.

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Most say you don't, most say what harm could it cause?

Did you ever find it? I don't use the KNS anti rotation pins, but if you like them and your paying for them then do what you want it's your money. With the geissele triggers using larger diameter pins you shouldn't ever "need" anti-rotation pins, but geissele approved the new "G" KNS pins to be used with their triggers so they must have seen some benefit to the option being available.

HeruMew
06-07-17, 09:37
I thought I wanted KNS pins.

Than, I just listened to the advice on this forum. Mostly.
I built as cheap as I could, and followed the guides on here, read some Sweeny GunSmithing books; to say the least, I did to much research. And then... I SHOT it, as much as I can.

When properly installed, most people will never experience an issue with pins.

The reality is, I have an anderson lower, rocking a PSA EPT, with PSA pins, just as solid today as my others have been direct from manufacturer or not.

I have put about 2k through the lower without maintenance, don't get me wrong, that could be a couple hard classes for some, but for me, that's many trips in and out of safe, I brought it with me when I traveled outa state, it's been taken down and thrown together more times than any other rifle I have. It was cheap, I use it hard.

Moral of the story is, pins are likely to be a one-off, generally due to some sort of error or malfunction whether during manufacturing or assembly.

As much as I like the idea of the KNS anti-walk pins, I am still glad to this day that I didn't spend the cost of an entry FCG set on just pins.

Maybe one day, but until I see a real problem, it's another "extra-layer" item. Nothing truly against them as YMMV.

To finalize my point: I am very happy I took the advice of the seasoned guys on this forum. A lot of them know their sh!t. Much respect to those who are here to try and help.

Watrdawg
06-07-17, 10:07
If pins walk, it's because of out of spec trash or improper assembly.

I haven't been here too long compared to IG or many many others here, but the above statement is about as to the point as it gets! Over the years I've read about many people using KNS pins and there isn't a need when using quality parts. I've only built a few weapons from the ground up and have various Geissele triggers in all of them. I've swapped out a few more on my other weapons. Never once have I had a pin walk on me or heard of others having that problem.

Sidneyious
06-07-17, 13:56
Did you ever find it? I don't use the KNS anti rotation pins, but if you like them and your paying for them then do what you want it's your money. With the geissele triggers using larger diameter pins you shouldn't ever "need" anti-rotation pins, but geissele approved the new "G" KNS pins to be used with their triggers so they must have seen some benefit to the option being available.
No, I have no idea where it went.

So if I just get the.155 pins it will be good? That's what I read is the difference.

http://www.primaryarms.com/kns-replacement-trigger-hammer-match-grade-pins-1555-diameter-replth-1555

ouchonyee
06-09-17, 18:11
http://knsprecisioninc.com/geissele-triggers.html

I have used a G2S and brownell's G2SE with the .1555 pins without issue.

elephantrider
06-09-17, 21:22
DO NOT use KNS pins with a Geissele trigger. Geissele Automatics specifically recommends against it. IIRC, Geissele was getting a lot of phones calls and returns about damaged triggers due to KNS pins. It may have had a lot to due the original over-sized KNS pins, but I would not use them regardless of diameter. The KNS anti-rotation/anti-walk stuff is not needed, AND the pins that come with the Geissele trigger IS part of the whole trigger mechanism. The pins that Geissele ships are very well made and designed to work with the rest of the parts.

TXBK
06-09-17, 22:33
I would bet that an overwhelming majority (>99%) people that use KNS pins only do so because they think they look cool and not because their pins are walking. Ordering a G2S and asking what the clip is for, only proves that you don't read instructions. It's not rocket surgery.

CPM
06-10-17, 12:54
I would bet that an overwhelming majority (>99%) people that use KNS pins only do so because they think they look cool and not because their pins are walking. Ordering a G2S and asking what the clip is for, only proves that you don't read instructions. It's not rocket surgery.

There's literally no rockets involved.

RazorBurn
06-10-17, 14:59

This times a million. To the OP, call Geissele and I'm sure they'll hook you up with a replacement spring. If it didn't need it it wouldn't have come with it.

BFS
06-11-17, 11:27
Pardon my ignorance, but when you guys say pins "walk" do you mean slowly creep out of the side of the lower? Or do you mean pins rotating in the hole?

What issue are the kns pins meant to address?

Is pin rotation a long term concern? Every AR i have has rotating pins, my factory assembled BCM with pnt trigger, my bone stock 6920, and every frankengun I have built. I thought it was normal.

Has anybody experienced elongated hammer/trigger holes on heavy use guns?

wigbones
06-11-17, 11:35
Pardon my ignorance, but when you guys say pins "walk" do you mean slowly creep out of the side of the lower? Or do you mean pins rotating in the hole?

What issue are the kns pins meant to address?

Walking would be, as you refer to it, slowly creeping out the side of the lower.

BFS
06-11-17, 11:55
Walking would be, as you refer to it, slowly creeping out the side of the lower.

How is that possible, even with trash parts? Pins are held in place with springs

JoshNC
06-11-17, 12:07
In my opinion the only reason to use non-rotating hammer/trigger pins is in a transferable fullauto lower. Anything else and you are just unnecessarily spending money. Hammer and trigger pins don't walk unless something(s) is/are out of spec.

sucker76
06-11-17, 13:04
In my opinion the only reason to use non-rotating hammer/trigger pins is in a transferable fullauto lower. Anything else and you are just unnecessarily spending money. Hammer and trigger pins don't walk unless something(s) is/are out of spec.

I'm with you on this. If the trigger and springs are installed right, the pins shouldn't come out the side of the lower. I put anti-walk pins in my SBR lower because 'just in case because its registered' and they look totally boss! It is mostly just to look cool and I wanted them.

_Stormin_
06-11-17, 14:22
It is mostly just to look cool and I wanted them.
You're reached the first step... Admitting you have a problem.

To the OP, call the people at Geissele and ask for a replacement. Learn from the mistake and move forward. In the grand scheme of things it's probably one of the easiest parts to "lose" and have to deal with replacing. I've launched my share of detents across various rooms in my home (probably the easiest part to screw up), and I'm sure I'll misplace a retainer at some point.

sucker76
06-11-17, 14:29
firearms et al is just one of my problems/bad habits.

stwings
06-11-17, 21:35
Anti walk pins!!