PDA

View Full Version : AR Trigger Grease

AR-556
06-06-17, 21:32
I'm installing a new trigger in my AR-556. I need a good trigger grease to apply to the designated parts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
BTW, a few people recommended the trigger grease in the link below. Opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AeroShell-6-1-4-oz-by-wt-grease-for-AR-15-10-trigger-group/262929568245?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D27471130151d4157acf069ef14cd403e%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D152356863156

TaterTot
06-06-17, 21:44
White lithium. Spray silicone. Graphite. Motor oil. What's your operating environment? I don't use anything other than a few smears of white lithium when assembling. No problems and smooth.

Kain
06-06-17, 21:51
Personally when I've installed triggers as of late I've just used a little Slip 2000 EWG. Beyond that it has been the grease that was in the little vial that came with an ACT trigger that I got a few years back now. Prior to that, whatever lube that I had laying around. For what it is worth, I think the last SSA trigger I got from Geissele came with their purple go juice stuff, so take that for what it is worth. I wouldn't over think it personally.

As far as the grease you linked, never heard of the stuff. Which doesn't mean much, but for the sake of covering everything....

TaterTot
06-06-17, 22:08
If it's recommend like by mfg like it says in the ad than it should be gtg. I work on things with sheer forces in the 1000+ ft pound range. So most parts on a gun are easy to pick a lube for. The characteristics of a trigger dont call for much more than a lower viscosity grease with an acceptable upper and lower operation range. Like white lithium, or a silicone lube.

Iraqgunz
06-06-17, 22:15
Aeroshell 6 is what Geissele uses (or used) with their triggers.

Kdubya
06-07-17, 01:26

I recall one of their CS reps sharing that with me a couple years ago. Those little tubes really last a long time, and the product works very well.

Now, with the introduction of their ALG grease, I wonder if they'll still continue to use/recommend Aeroshell, or swap to the "home brew".

MeanCarbine
06-07-17, 02:17
A small tube of purpleish oil was included in my Geissele triggers. I assumed it is Go Juice.

TomMcC
06-07-17, 02:40
I bought a huge tube of Mobil1 grease, it's pinkish. I use it liberally.

GH41
06-07-17, 05:26
If it's recommend like by mfg like it says in the ad than it should be gtg. I work on things with sheer forces in the 1000+ ft pound range. So most parts on a gun are easy to pick a lube for. The characteristics of a trigger dont call for much more than a lower viscosity grease with an acceptable upper and lower operation range. Like white lithium, or a silicone lube.

I'd like to know what forces are applied across the face of the sear just as the trigger breaks. It's gotta be up there.

wct097
06-07-17, 06:25
I'd like to know what forces are applied across the face of the sear just as the trigger breaks. It's gotta be up there.

I just grabbed the tub of white lithium grease off the shelf in the garage. Used it on barrel threads, not on trigger group. Always just used whatever oil I had handy on the trigger group.

Kdubya
06-07-17, 07:39
A small tube of purpleish oil was included in my Geissele triggers. I assumed it is Go Juice.

Did they include the Aeroshell as well (which has more of a yellowish opactiy)?

hdrolling
06-07-17, 08:25

Not in any of my kits, just the small brownish tube.

Lefty223
06-07-17, 08:46
FWIW when I was actively gunsmithing target semi-autos and revolvers, I was a big proponent of Brownell's 'Action Magic II' product. It was a 2-part product, a carrier/binder that impregnated the pores of the metal and then a moly powder one burnished into the contact parts. Each part needed to be cleaned well beforehand (Ronson lighter fluid or naptha is ideal) and warmed before applying the liquid carrier, then allowed to dry overnight before applying the moly.

Drawbacks is that it required total disassembly for best results. A pro is that it is a dry powder, so no wet or greasy parts to further attract & hold combustion by-products.

But from memory I recall it would drop an already smoother trigger 1-2 pounds (on average). One had to be careful using it on already-tuned bullseye pistols, as most competitions had a minimum 2-pound trigger pull limit and applying AM2 could easily drop one well before the legsl limit.

The most dramatic reductions were observed on double-action trigger pulls, then single-action (revolvers only). Pull reductions of 4-8 to (pre-treatment was well OFF scale on gauge) or more with this product. Was easy to re-apply too! Just touched up w/ felt polishing heads doused w/ the moly and burnished into the action surfaces.

JasonB1
06-07-17, 09:46
FWIW when I was actively gunsmithing target semi-autos and revolvers, I was a big proponent of Brownell's 'Action Magic II' product. It was a 2-part product, a carrier/binder that impregnated the pores of the metal and then a moly powder one burnished into the contact parts.

Fairly sure that is the same thing as Smooth-Kote and BP 2000.

http://shop.scopecoat.com/Firearms-Applications_c51.htm

titsonritz
06-07-17, 10:44

I split a tube of this with my Dad a couple years ago, we both have enough trigger grease for several lifetimes.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroShell-Grease-14oz-MIL-PRF-24139-ASG-6-14OZ/dp/B00FX6SHJ2

MeanCarbine
06-07-17, 11:51

Neither my SSA nor SD3G came with the Aeroshell.

mooseman
06-07-17, 18:04
Aeroshell 6 and Mobilgrease 28(?) have been used by Geissele in the past. I bought caulk can size things of them and liberally apply them. I've rated out the ALG Go-Juice and Grease on one rifle and it's held up great so far.

Outlander Systems
06-07-17, 20:17
Lucas Red n Tacky.

Muzap
06-07-17, 22:12
Neither my SSA nor SD3G came with the Aeroshell.

I picked up 3 SSAs from Memorial Day sales this year, and they all came in the spiffy new box packaging with a bubble of Go Juice. All my previous Geissele triggers came in ziploc bags with a little vial of the yellowish grease.

TaterTot
06-07-17, 22:17
Somebody smarter than me can probably calculate the to a t but I'm gonna say its less than 100 ft/lbs.

TaterTot
06-07-17, 22:20
Lucas Red n Tacky.
Great suggestion if op temp is above freezing. Sheer tolerance is over 500 ft/lbs

Outlander Systems
06-08-17, 07:04
Stuff is incredible.

Great suggestion if op temp is above freezing. Sheer tolerance is over 500 ft/lbs

IndianaBoy
06-09-17, 12:05
I use Lucas Red n Tacky as well. I also like it on bolt carrier groups, especially for suppressed rifles. It stays put and doesn't run down into the receiver extension. I usually put a little bit of oil on top as well before a big shooting session.

kerplode
06-09-17, 12:29
I've been using Mobil #28 for stuff like this. No complaints so far...

Outlander Systems
06-09-17, 16:19
I use a dab of it on carrier rails and in the cam pin hole as well.

I use Lucas Red n Tacky as well. I also like it on bolt carrier groups, especially for suppressed rifles. It stays put and doesn't run down into the receiver extension. I usually put a little bit of oil on top as well before a big shooting session.