PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: If you won the $435M Powerball?

elephant
06-08-17, 12:12
Well, the cash value is only $273 Million, but still, its a lot of money. Enough to be a worthy Bond villain or simply pack up and move and live life in the canals of Miami Beach, Palm Beach, Manhattan or even your own private island. With $273.1 Million in the bank, what may I ask would you do? Considering everything in your life is going to be paid for and your worries will be at an all time low, I'm curious to what most of you would do with that kind of money.

As for me: I wouldn't mine buying another plane- a brand new Beechcraft King Air 350, a vacation house in Key Biscayne Fl. ( there are 2 for sale that were both featured on Miami Vice, and if I could own just one, it would complete me), also wouldn't mind owning a ranch in Texas, nothing huge but around 200 acres, enough to hunt, and ride some dirt bikes. Invest heavily in residential/commercial real estate in and around Dallas and South East Florida. Something that I have worked on for quite a while is a human powered helicopter- I missed out on the Sikorsky Challenge (that went to MIT) but there design was the size of a soccer field and could only fly for 30 seconds. I have a design that could not only fly, but be controlled (left/right/forwards/backwards/yaw). That is something that I would spend most of my time doing. And once completed, I would change the way you and I travel short distances.

chuckman
06-08-17, 12:15
Hookers and blow.

OK, seriously: I like my house, and we ain't moving. But I would totally refurb it, all new everything, sod the entire yard. I would buy a place near the beach and a boat. After that, I don't know. I really don't want much of anything.

I would quit work, though. Maybe travel, do the whole 48-states-in-a-RV-over-a-year thing. My kids would dig that. My wife, not so much.

Digital_Damage
06-08-17, 12:16
I'm at a stage in my life it would just sit in the bank.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-08-17, 12:28
P51, run for Senate, a Tag Heuer V4 watch, 2009 Jag XJ. Hire that bald, fat guy with glasses from all the history gun shows to live in my arsenal and hand me guns with those white gloves on.

Go from odd to eccentric.

Averageman
06-08-17, 12:28
Good Question.
I don't have much debt, but I would pay off what I do owe. Maybe buy a house that's just a bit bigger and do some modifications to it.
Vacation often, do some charity work and take care of my family.
Oh, yeah, I would hire someone to build a better fence around my yard. I hate the idea of working more fence this summer.

Outlander Systems
06-08-17, 12:31
Move to Florida.

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-17, 12:31
Off the top of my head . . .

Buy my family and I citizenship in New Zealand, nice spread of land there, a Conex container of black market FALs/mags/ammo and pop smoke before things go critical mass here in CONUS.

Averageman
06-08-17, 12:36
Move to Florida.
For the weather, the beach or just to observe the whackadoodle Floridians?

Outlander Systems
06-08-17, 12:37
Weather's cool, but primary for access to the Gulf Coast. I'd probably buy a vacation house in the Carrib. and a kickass Jenneau sailboat. After that, I'd give the rest away.

For the weather, the beach or just to observe the whackadoodle Floridians?

Kain
06-08-17, 12:40
Hire that bald, fat guy with glasses from all the history gun shows to live in my arsenal and hand me guns with those white gloves on.

*Golf Clap*
I forgot about that guy. Lol.

Personally, I'd pay off the debt that I have, take care of a few close family and friends, Hire AlexV to design a house with rather, let's say specific needs, like a vault, indoor range, firearms laboratory(Pronounced with five syllables), full stainless steel kitchen, secret passages, and a number of other specifics on some land where I could step off my back porch and have at least 1000 meters of free fire zone. And then probably collect a large number of guns, and other related odd ball things, invest in various business and stocks, and metals, to include lead and silver, and probably work my away across the country shooting certain competitions and hitting all manner of training classes. Try to ensure that I am on the government watch list that they just drop a bunker-buster on my house instead of raiding it should they ever call for gun confiscation, and who the hell knows what else.

Once I finished that for about a year or four, I'd probably go on to do what I have threatened, either full time writer, which I kind of do part time now, or start my own youtube channel on guns and likely end up working harder doing that and shooting then I do now. Lol.

I'll honestly worry about the details and logistics once I win the damn thing. Lol.

jpmuscle
06-08-17, 12:44
Move to Florida.
Rofl.....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
06-08-17, 12:47
I am but a simple dude. Since the Florida economy is completely reliant on the service sector economy, the only way I could live there would be to change professions, or hit the jackpot.

Sucks.

Rofl.....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

yoni
06-08-17, 12:50
I would buy me 2 big ranches in the middle of no where, one in the USA and one in Ethiopia.

In the USA I would use a lot of my money to become the Sheriff of my county.

In Ethiopia I would become a local war lord.

Digital_Damage
06-08-17, 12:55
I would buy me 2 big ranches in the middle of no where, one in the USA and one in Ethiopia.

In the USA I would use a lot of my money to become the Sheriff of my county.

In Ethiopia I would become a local war lord.

Explains your view points in the other thread...

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-17, 13:07
Hire that bald, fat guy with glasses from all the history gun shows to live in my arsenal and hand me guns with those white gloves on.

:lol:

Tales of the Gun made him an instant celeb.

Though personally I would hire Jen Selter, Leanna Decker, and Cintia Dicker to bring fourth my NFA collection to and fro . . .

VIP3R 237
06-08-17, 13:16
I'd give a chunk to my parents and siblings, buy a decent house and property, and then I'd want to travel and take classes.

Also I'd pester Stick with outrageous offers for a China Doll lower...

In all reality I'd probably die within a year going way too fast in a Agera RS :lol:

26 Inf
06-08-17, 13:17
I didn't read the thread, just posting off the title. I've actually thought about this. Lump sum payout.

I would give myself and each one of my kids a million after taxes.

Each grandkid gets 250,000 after taxes, trusts for those under 18 or 21 whichever the maximum age law will allow. That will take care of another 2 million.

The rest gets divided in half - one half to work CONUS the other OCONUS. The maximum that is spent each year is what is made on investment, with the account balance never going below the initial amount put into the fund. That way the funds would pretty much be perpetual. Family members would mange the operations and draw a salary which is fair for someone working a non profit.

The OCONUS organization would focus on low income housing rehabilitation. The OCONUS would focus on water wells and sustainable loans for small business startups.

But, to win first you have to buy a ticket.

elephant
06-08-17, 13:26
Honestly: This is the 230 acre ranch that is currently for sale in Texas it is priced at $3.5 million

its a lot of money but when you have $273 Million, $3.5M just doesn't seem like a lot for what your getting.

This is the Key Biscayne House I want:

Its price tag is $34 Million - check it out
http://www.jorgeuribe.com/info/property/residential/A10127472/#photos

And this would be my private airplane

This is by far the best airplane in the world for a single owner.

I may be interested in Buying Noveske and relocating to Texas- small outfit but huge presence in the community.

TMS951
06-08-17, 13:27
Build and fill a car museum, with an awesome gun room.

Private Jet and travel the world with the wife and kid.

BuzzinSATX
06-08-17, 13:49
Fun thread. Some very cool ideas. Especially like the NZ move!

20% would go to various charities supporting Mil and 1st Responders and families, Battered women and kids helping orgs, and the like.

I'd buy a good size ranch I can turn into a pecan and peach orchard and vineyard in the TX Hill Country. Complete with exotic game and stocked bass ponds, I'd set it up with a few luxury guest cabins and offer free vacations to military, cops, and firefighters and their families, with priority for folks who were disabled in line of duty.

The rest will be put a away for a rainy day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
06-08-17, 13:58
Hookers and blow..

Antonio Montana.....You forgot the M203. I'd probably throw in a M60 to boot.

Honu
06-08-17, 14:08
head to Australia for some killer camping and buy a Kimberly Kamper when there to camp out of ! and a LC70 from patriot totally decked out
and just flat out disappear for a year

go camping take photos work with animals and shelters

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-08-17, 14:15
When you saw me, you'd never know I had a quarter of a billion.

RobertTheTexan
06-08-17, 14:19
Take care of my family and my wife's family first. Buy some land. Some place where I could grow a garden year round. Close to the water. I'd buy a CNC machine, a metal lathe and an industrial grade sewing machine. Really build my own AR's and make some cool stuff with my industrial sewing machine. I don't think I could just not ever work again. I'm not wired that way, but I darn sure be my own boss.

Frailer
06-08-17, 14:47
1) Set up a trust for my kids.

2) Establish a foundation that provides grants to small charitable organizations that are doing good things within their community (soup kitchens, battered women's shelters, orphanages, after-school programs). My new job would be traveling the country and finding these organizations.

3) Tell my wife to re-do our house any way she likes.

4) Buy a few big boy toys.

yoni
06-08-17, 14:51
Explains your view points in the other thread...

Dude the war lord part was tongue in cheek. But would I have a small army of security, yep because Africa eats the weak.

Jellybean
06-08-17, 14:59
Take care of my family and my wife's family first. Buy some land. Some place where I could grow a garden year round. Close to the water. I'd buy a CNC machine, a metal lathe and an industrial grade sewing machine. Really build my own AR's and make some cool stuff with my industrial sewing machine. I don't think I could just not ever work again. I'm not wired that way, but I darn sure be my own boss.

Move to New Zealand

Both those sound a whole lot like my thoughts as well.
Either just say "F it" and drop out completely (the NZ plan) OR buy a nice house on a nice piece of of land, and maybe think about starting a couple small businesses I've had in mind.

If staying in the US, I'd finish my small collection of guns & gear, *maybe* add a .308 and NODs so I could go night hog hunting. :cool:
I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying a Lambo, so add 1 black Countach, and 1 of whatever the current design is.
I'd probably invest a portion in something, put some more away in a trust just in case I ever have kids.
I know a few folks that I would make some things right for.

Frankly, I'm at that point, where there's not a whole lot of material things left that I want.... I see 200+ mil. as more freedom from worry and bullshit then "what will I buy".

Of course, for my next trick I may as well plan to colonize Mars, since that's about the chance there is of me ever coming into that kind of money.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-08-17, 15:18
10% to charity to start out
A very large tract of land in the Texas hill country with my house just about in the middle of it. Probably a chunk of land in Idaho as well.
All the various toys that are associated with having a large ranch
Second home in Belize and maybe one in New Zealand.
Various real estate investments and other investments both aggressive as well as super conservative.
trust for my daughter
some set aside for my close family
travel like crazy

obviously little things like purchasing guns that I want, setting up a bad ass personal range, etc.

I would have to turn managing things like the ranch and investments into work as I wouldn't be able to just sit around.

sgtrock82
06-08-17, 15:33
A P-51, a PT-17 trainer, a grass airstrip with a hangar and then take care of the whole learning to fly bit. Because if I cant eventually zoom around in my own WWII fighter Im not much interested in flying.

If I'm feeling froggy and feel I can maintain the P-51 life on my remaining dough, I'll see about buying the USS Olympia and look into moving it away from philthadelphia. Set it on land somewhere and live on it. Hopefully not far from my aerodrome and near some strip clubs

lowprone
06-08-17, 15:34
Keep ranching until it was all gone !

JusticeM4
06-08-17, 16:11
I would not tell anyone about it (that I won the lotto).

Pay off any debt and invest. Help your family in friends in a humble low-key manner if they have financial troubles.

Buy a ton of land and property, guns and ammo.

Go on a few trips, nothing too extravagant. Just check off your bucket list type thing.

I would try to keep living a simple and independent life. People who blow their fortunes too quickly will realize it can be spent much faster than you think.

Easier said than done of course...

BBossman
06-08-17, 16:14
Nevermind...

kerplode
06-08-17, 16:16
I would not tell anyone about it (that I won the lotto).

Pay off any debt and invest. Help your family in friends in a humble low-key manner if they have financial troubles.

Buy a ton of land and property, guns and ammo.

Go on a few trips, nothing too extravagant. Just check off your bucket list type thing.

I would try to keep living a simple and independent life. People who blow their fortunes too quickly will realize it can be spent much faster than you think.

Easier said than done of course...

^^^ This is exactly what one should do.

People who win a bunch of money then proceed to buy a bunch of "rich people" crap end up broke-ass again in just a few years. I guess it makes sense, though...If they knew how to manage money, they most likely wouldn't be playing the lottery in the first place...

Arik
06-08-17, 16:49
A different house. I like where I live but I'd prefer a single house to my townhouse. I'd still stay in the area though, more or less.

Some kind of a 60s convertible land yacht. Something with clean lines like a 64 GTO or a 65 Galaxy or a 64 Riviera or the 4 door Lincoln Continental convertible with suicide doors!

A brewery. Definitely would have to buy a brewery! Or have one built in my house! Nothing huge, several tanks capable of 1000 barrels each. A small but good setup runs around $60k.

Traveling is always fun!

Of course pay off my parents house as well as my sister's. Give them some money.

Guns, guns, guns, ammo, ammo, ammo and some kick ass classes

That's about it

Of course what Honu said sounds great too! I know not very original but there it is. Maybe before I do all that I'll sell my house and travel for a year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
06-08-17, 16:52
General plans for anyone who wins or comes into that much money:

Step 1.) Keep it on the down low.

Step 2.) Pay off any and all outstanding debts. Then help immediate family do the same. Maybe some friends if they're not screw ups.

Step 3.) Hire an accountant, and a good attorney. That's a lot of money to manage, chances are you will want a few competent trustworthy people to help guide you through how to protect it, and utilize it intelligently while still enjoying it, or using it to further your own goals in life.

Personal uses after general directives 1-3 are taken care of:

1.) Set aside enough money in conservative investments that will provide a solid steady income over the long term solely on investment returns.

2.) Hire some tutors and get ready to go back to school. I'd like to maybe study engineering some day because I find it interesting. So that is what I would do personally.

3.) After school is complete I'd go shopping for an existing firearms company that might be for sale within a budget of say $30 Million US. If none were available I would strongly consider incorporating and starting a company. Not sure if that budget is realistic or not.

4.) Make cool shit that I'd like to have, and make it well. Hire some people to help me make cool shit. Pay them well. Do our best to market said cool shit and make money doing it and become profitable so we can continue making cool shit that people want to buy.

5.) Indulge in all the traveling and hobbies etc as time allows. I'm only 38, I can't reasonably expect that retiring and doing nothing but hobbies will be healthy or interesting. So I'd keep working but I would be my own boss, and work on stuff I want to work on.

6.) As a side project I would also quietly open a dildo factory. Every year I would send elected officials I didn't like a dildo made in my factory with an instruction pamphlet on how they can go **** themselves with their new dildo.

kerplode
06-08-17, 17:27
6.) As a side project I would also quietly open a dildo factory. Every year I would send elected officials I didn't like a dildo made in my factory with an instruction pamphlet on how they can go **** themselves with their new dildo.

HAHAHA! I love it!

Det-Sog
06-08-17, 17:28
Retire immediately.

Buy a ranch in a red state and fix it up to my liking. Build a landing strip and buy a Kingair 200, TBM 900 or something similar. Build a range that would make Hickock45 jealous. Donate a few mil to the DAV, WWP and NRA-ILA. Then pack my bags and take the wife wherever we feel like going.

elephant
06-08-17, 17:53
Since no one brought it up:

I like the idea of a 1964 Chris Craft 65' Constellation that's been completely reinforced, restored and updated- the idea of traveling from Miami to Exuma, then off to Turks and Caicos then on to St Thomas then St Barts and back on a classis yacht is somewhat romantic. I've always had a love for the sea, especially the Bahamas and Caribbean. There are companies that retrofit these classic yachts with new everything, updated interiors, Doppler radar, Garmin SAT/NAV, Raytheon SAT/COMM, Flirt thermal assisted navigation etc. Have you seen the movie Father Goose with Cary Grant? He went from island to island spotting Japanese airplanes for the Australian Navy and they paid him in rum, and he got trapped with stranded school for girls? Great movie but, that would be me for a short time. Put the boat on cruise control, and do some fishing, pull up off a reef, drop anchor and run around on a jet ski. Just me..... maybe my girlfriend. At 65' you don't need a license.

sl4mdaddy
06-08-17, 18:22
Never drink cheap bourbon again...

As has been said: keep it quiet, as much as possible. Virginia will advertise your name at the very least. A couple of accountants and attorneys to start, after the dust settled and reality sets in I'd like to think I would focus on a plan to help out family at first.

When my oldest daughter was just an infant and had to make a couple of trips to Children's Hospital (turned out to not be a problem, just a part of growing) I thought that was the most depressing/sad place I had ever been. I told myself that if I ever won a chunk-o-cash that the first donation would be to them. Almost 30 years later and I feel the same way. After that, definitely some assistance to a veterans organization or 2 and something to help out some old folks. (hell, I'm old...WTF am I talking about...)

Beyond that, not really sure. Maybe the random $100 tip here and there or just helping out the occasional stranger anonymously.

Maybe even see what the fuss is all about as far as Pappy Van Winkle and Johnnie Walker Blue Label goes...

Oh, almost forgot...fill my tighty-whities with large denomination bills and send the pic to my ex.

JulyAZ
06-08-17, 18:37
Hire a tax lawyer, and do my best to keep my name out of the public, spend a million off the top on a new house and cars, put the rest of the money into CDs that term once a year with a fixed amount for the rest of my life.

grnamin
06-08-17, 19:58
Anonymously setup a fund to help disabled veterans (medical, housing, etc.)

kwelz
06-08-17, 21:25
Pay off all our bills as well as the bills of our close family.

Buy a nice but not extravagant house and cars. Rest of it gets split between Deep savings and investment.

jmp45
06-08-17, 21:36

Buy a nice but not extravagant house and cars. Rest of it gets split between Deep savings and investment.

That's the plan.. Like our house now, but with that windfall we'd have to move, nothing elaborate. Much for the kids and I have some close friends that could use some help.

SteyrAUG
06-08-17, 22:26

More or less. I might visit Reed Knight and see if I can talk him out of a few interesting firearms. I may or may not have a bunch of domestic help from Ukraine that all look remarkably like Anna Kornikova.

AKDoug
06-08-17, 22:57
I'd improve my business and keep working.

m1a_scoutguy
06-09-17, 01:04
MOVE THE F%#K out of New York !!!:happy: LOL @63 its would be a easy choice for sure ! In reality I would hang in NY part of the year still cuz my Wife would never want to leave our grandson (11) but we have a Granddaughter in Texas ! :dance3: So the Winters would be a no brainer for sure ! basically do the main things, pay off silly stuff (really don't have much) buy a New pickup,,,something nice but just a reg 1/2 ton 4X4 and a sweet Audi for the Wife ! Set my remaing Family up and invest the majority of it ! Buy Silver,junk,bullion & Bars,Gold is to crazy,,up and down ! It would be tough not to have a place in Montana, I lived there for several years after the Air Force,,Why the hell I came back to NY is beyond me,,LOL Once everything was settled down and things were kinda back to "normal" I would look for a "Eleanor" !! You know the Gone In 60 Seconds Car !! After that just guns, guns and maybe a couple guns,, a room full of Dillon's and any other thing my mind could come up with within reason ! Above all remain anonymous and keep a low profile ! It would be a little tough when all of a sudden your buying a new truck and car,and moving around some,but would try as hard as I could to keep everything under raps ! (Yea I would get lawyers, Investment advice,,all that crap) That's kinda a no brainer but hatted to clutter up the dream with boring stuff,,LOL

tylerw02
06-09-17, 01:19
Two chicks at once?

Big A
06-09-17, 06:52
I'm disappointed it took this long:
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/2a/2a5a040524a4838b13fc29c96bc13c5a4185a496e7be052904b982200be8dce4.jpg

Or maybe buy Venezuela and rule with an iron fist.

mack7.62
06-09-17, 07:08
Buy a nice chunk of land in Idaho set up for off grid, build one of those Hollywood bunkers with bowling alley, swimming pool and underground car collection storage. Do an Arnold and get some Unimogs and some diesel FJ40's and 55's. Wait for Yellowstone to erupt and wipe everything out.

pinzgauer
06-09-17, 07:21
One of several oceanfront homes in Islamorada or Tavernier in the keys. Or maybe that private island near Marathon.

Grumman Goose or Widgeon with updated, modern turboprops. Modern electronics and setup for ferry tanks for ocean crossings when needed.

Get my ex-Swiss Pinzgauer factory refurbished, buy a refurbished turbo-diesel Pinz 718M 6x6. Flail them madly in off-road trail rides across the US.

Unimog expedition camper and head from Europe down through Africa, then on to other continents.

Buy a cove in NZ fjordland area, build a self-sufficient cabin/lodge with deep water access. Alaska style aluminum hulled mini landing craft for resupply and hunting trips. (Gotta bring in fuel for the goose)

Buy land with water rights on one of the "rivers" in Texas Hill country, either well east of Fredericksburg or off the beaten track on the Kerrville side. 500 acres would be fine, enough for a range and some hunting. Private airstrip.

Clone Robert's shop, plus Miller Tig setup, plasma cutter, CNC tubing bender, and a high end 3d printer.

Daily driver would be 90s G-wagons, with some '69-71 iron for fun: Boss 302, AMX, small block Cuda (340?). And a '69 Z-28 just for balance.

Complete battle rifle collection (G3, AR-10, M-14, Galil, FN FAL, maybe a Valmet). FA MP-5 for fun. Try to find a transferable Steyr MPI or MP-69.

Setup living trust for the kids/grandkids.

Endowments for some small churches working g with West Point & USNA cadets.

Endowment for Mike Rowe Works type charities

Go play. My work is done!

Grand58742
06-09-17, 07:40
Four words...

Aston. Martin. Vanquish. Volante.

And a link.

https://www.privateislandsonline.com/caribbean/bahamas/the-exumas/darby-island

554 acres is plenty large enough to set up a range for some cool toys.

And can you say "party yacht" for trips back and forth? Probably a 120 footer crewed by tanned and fit college coeds trying to pay off student loans. I'll be generous to the Millennial generation.

Then I'd buy a Palmetto State Armory AR and brag about it on here :D

Alex V
06-09-17, 07:53
Set up my parents and parents in law so that they would never want for anything in life. I would be very generous to my closest friends as well.

I would buy a lot of land 1,000+ acres, design and build a house/compound that can be totally off the grid with my own landing strip. A garage with a LaFerrari, F60, F40, 458 and a few practical cars/trucks as well. A hanger with a Cessna Denali. Build an X275 or an Outlaw 10.5 car.

Travel the world in a yacht. See every F1 race. Open my own Architecture firm.

Chameleox
06-09-17, 08:29
We're currently having our dream house built on a 10 acre piece of property. First step would be to pay that off. After that, I'd set money aside for the twins' college and some starting up money for when they set out on their own. We have a few family members who could use some help. After all of that, I think we'd only be down a few million.

After that, the fun starts.
- 1 luxury or sports car for the wife. She's earned it. I'll take a sedan.
- Cabin up North with hunting land and some access to water. A bass boat is about all the boat I can handle.
- A few more guns, a few suppressors, and maybe 1 or 2 full autos. Really nothing crazy.
- vacations. Kids and wife like to travel, I like to fish, hunt, and sample the local food and drink.
Donations-
- Local children's hospital
- Local police/fire/EMS
- F#*k cancer donation, especially for vets or kids.

The rest goes to savings and investments.

seb5
06-09-17, 10:28
I'm not in need of anything so.....My friends would who they were when the large car hauler pulled up with a mix of sports cars, luxury cars and quad cab 4X4's and were told to pick out what they wanted.
Maybe a house somewhere we like to go, travel a bit,
A few more toys, motorcycles, class III stuff.
Set up the kids and relatives.
Put about 20 million in a safe place.
Give away the rest to people or non profits I care about or support.

HCrum87hc
06-09-17, 12:07
Let's see....

I'd give 10% to my church first. Then I'd payoff what little debt we have. I'd then sell our house and purchase a slightly larger, more upscale home on about 50-100 (mostly wooded) acres here in upstate SC. I'd also purchase a home and 500 or so acres in the SC lowcountry on an inland waterway/marsh and a home in the mountains of TN or NC on a nice trout river. I'd buy my parents a house and set them up for the rest of their lives. I'd have a trust fund for my daughter and any future children to pay for college and give them a head start in life. I'd help out some of our close friends, and I'm sure I'd buy some nice toys: guns, suppressors, knives, watches, etc. I don't really care for fancy cars, but I'd probably buy a new truck and SUV when our current ones go kaput. The rest would be put in the bank and donated to various charities involving Crohn's disease (I suffer from it), diabetes (wife suffers from it), local NICU units (daughter was born early), ALS (grandfather), and Alzheimer's (grandmother).

elephant
06-09-17, 13:32
Let's see....

I'd give 10% to my church first.
I like that, not too many people put that first. However $27.3 million to 1 church may be to much. A lot of great ministries in the world. I like the aviation ministries and healthcare ministries.

Averageman
06-09-17, 14:10
Start at the 30 minute mark, "Rollo" W C Fields had it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJFfntQzro

nate89
06-09-17, 14:18
I would do all of the boring (but very useful) investing and the like. Those ideas of "if I had the money I would try..." would actually be tried. I would really enjoy starting up a variety of businesses. A few years ago I worked for a biotech lab that was under ownership of a medical research foundation. It began as primarily an R&D branch, but eventually started turning out product and, to my knowledge, is still making a profit every year. I would enjoy starting up businesses like that, where you could afford to pay well and bring in quality people to do good work on a variety of subjects.

I would build a shooting range complex that was both for my own use and as another business. Create a venue that is the Mecca for high-power, USPSA, PRS, and any other shooting matches. Invest in the most extensive line-up of rental guns.

I would start up a load of scholarships for both university or trade schools. It sounds pretty satisfying to have so much money that you could see a problem, and have the money and time to actually do something to solve or help solve it.

I'm sure I would be spending quite a bit on an extensive car and motorcycle collection.

I have plenty of places I would really enjoy visiting.

glocktogo
06-09-17, 14:19
Set up a trust not in my name, with the sole beneficiaries of said trust to be my wife and I, then pop smoke and forever leave everyone wondering whatever in the world happened to GTG. :)

After that, no one who ever met me would have clue that I was sitting on fat bank. I'd go where I wanted, do what I wanted and try to blend into the background. I'd be generous to a fault, but quietly and without drawing attention. I wouldn't own much because ownership denotes ties and obligations. I'd rent or lease whatever I wanted (through the trust) and walk away when I was done. If I was to own something, it would probably be a small cabin in the mountains and a small cottage on the beach somewhere, where I could just go and chill out when I was tired of travelling.

Oh, and I'd never wear a tie again. Ever. :)

One more thing. I'd probably work to establish citizenship in a globally recognized (or simply not recognized at all) country, possibly even under an assumed identity. That way I could travel anywhere without attracting attention because "American". It's a shame you have to think that way though.

Grand58742
06-09-17, 16:00
I like that, not too many people put that first. However $27.3 million to 1 church may be to much. A lot of great ministries in the world. I like the aviation ministries and healthcare ministries.

Hey, I was all about helping college kids pay off their student loans. Of course, I'd rather they learn the value of a hard day's work while earning a paycheck, so we both benefit.

That's admirable, right?

elephant
06-09-17, 16:49
who helped you get out of debt? Who paid off your mortgage? The best lessons in life are the ones where you dug a whole, and got yourself out.

NYH1
06-09-17, 17:26
I'd buy a ranch (a really big ranch) in Central Arizona. Someplace above 5000 ft' so it's not to hot. Maybe where the temp tops out about 90°....dry air baby! :happy:

I'd buy all the machine guns, muscle cars and build all the bad@$$ trucks I could fine too!

NYH1.

QuickStrike
06-09-17, 17:27
First a haircut and a good steak.

Then hookers and booze.

VIP3R 237
06-09-17, 17:33
Buy an FDE RIS II hand guard :lol:

Waylander
06-09-17, 18:03
I'm disappointed it took this long:
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/2a/2a5a040524a4838b13fc29c96bc13c5a4185a496e7be052904b982200be8dce4.jpg

Or maybe buy Venezuela and rule with an iron fist.
LMAO
Lawrence and his infinite wisdom.

wildcard600
06-09-17, 18:08
Buy a big piece of land and build my own private track. Then fill a garage with sportbikes and maybe a few cars to run on it. I'd figure out what to with the rest of the money once I got bored with that.

nate89
06-09-17, 18:11
Buy an FDE RIS II hand guard :lol:

It's a lottery dude, not a totally blank check! :)

uffdaphil
06-09-17, 18:14
I'd buy an entire dying small town and a bunch of the surrounding land. Free rent for the few remaining residents who vote me in as mayor and police chief. Buy a Ford Raptor Supercrew with a perp cap in back for my duty vehicle. Stock up the armory with full-auto drool. Hire a few good men to ride herd and nepotism for the rest. Set up town sponsored annual fun events like say a multi-day pre-1960 truck meet and show with entertainment and camping. And of course a build a luxurious rustic retreat to entice my favorite conservative bloggers, pundits and a few pols to congregate to wine, dine and shoot.

Or else just buy a large ranch in Texas overrun with hogs and a hot air balloon. And lots of top of the line NV/thermal optics and invite select M4C and WEVO folks on over.

Kain
06-09-17, 18:18
And of course a build a luxurious rustic retreat to entice my favorite conservative bloggers, pundits and a few pols to congregate to wine, dine and shoot.

Why wine and dine them if you are just going to shoot them? Sounds like a horrible waste of food and drink to me.

:haha::jester::sarcastic:

Honestly surprised no one here has said buying a few senators.

uffdaphil
06-09-17, 18:32
Best to slow them down first.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-09-17, 18:40
Why wine and dine them if you are just going to shoot them? Sounds like a horrible waste of food and drink to me.

P51, run for Senate, a Tag Heuer V4 watch, 2009 Jag XJ. Hire that bald, fat guy with glasses from all the history gun shows to live in my arsenal and hand me guns with those white gloves on.

Own a senate seat, not rent one ;)

Big A
06-09-17, 19:39

Why buy a senator when you can own Venezuela?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Kain
06-09-17, 20:17
Why buy a senator when you can own Venezuela?

While I sometimes hate to answer a question with a question. But....Why in the hell would I want to own Venezuela? Lol.

Big A
06-09-17, 20:29
While I sometimes hate to answer a question with a question. But....Why in the hell would I want to own Venezuela? Lol.
A. Oil

B. Hot Latina birds...[emoji6]

Kain
06-09-17, 20:36
A. Oil

B. Hot Latina birds...[emoji6]

You make good points. I'm just not seeing the UN going for it when the first three things I do once I take possession of the joint is change the national language english so I know what the hell is going on, rearm the military for civil defense with a harden central force made up for a lot of expat US soldiers for my personal defense, while starting public works projects for civilian jobs, and make October 24th the national piss on the UN day.

SteyrAUG
06-09-17, 20:38
who helped you get out of debt? Who paid off your mortgage? The best lessons in life are the ones where you dug a whole, and got yourself out.

Honestly, if someone came along when I was 25, paid off my debts and gave me a house and car, I'd have been the same person I am today only maybe a little happier. I learned all about hard work, responsibility and the rest long before I became an adult. I didn't need to go through the 10 years of "borderline poverty" to get my priorities figured out. But that's the way the ball bounced so I dealt with it.

Along those lines, the people I'd help if I had the extra scratch, they also learned those lessons long ago and I'd be hooking them up because they were already decent people. It's also easy to slip below the waterline no matter how responsible you are. All it takes is a couple hardships one right after another.

BuzzinSATX
06-10-17, 07:17
Stopped to get gas on the way to work this morning and picked up the winning lottery ticket....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/a604cd7b88aa7ec900075df7b00a415e.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-10-17, 07:25

Actually, if you add some water to the hole and mud wrestle 5 women at one time; which you can do if win the lottery.

Grand58742
06-10-17, 07:59
Honestly, if someone came along when I was 25, paid off my debts and gave me a house and car, I'd have been the same person I am today only maybe a little happier. I learned all about hard work, responsibility and the rest long before I became an adult. I didn't need to go through the 10 years of "borderline poverty" to get my priorities figured out. But that's the way the ball bounced so I dealt with it.

Along those lines, the people I'd help if I had the extra scratch, they also learned those lessons long ago and I'd be hooking them up because they were already decent people. It's also easy to slip below the waterline no matter how responsible you are. All it takes is a couple hardships one right after another.

My post was meant more in jest as I hoped it would be taken, especially the dirty old man portion of me hiring out college age coeds to crew my yacht. Apparently, the sarcasm didn't transfer over to this medium that well.

But you do bring up a good point. I have no problems teaching the Millennial generation they are not owed a damn thing and getting something means you worked for and earned it. Far too many of them want to complain they aren't making "anything" and automatically believe they are owed that $75K a year job starting out. And worry endlessly over the six figure college loans they have to pay back (different rant, different time). What they don't understand is they may have to work two jobs in order to make ends meet. Or dig the ditch before they can design the bridge. There's a quote from the movie Transformers 3 where John Malkovich says "you want the job after this job" or something to that effect. It's very true and I wish more younger folks could understand that.

Anyway, if I was to win such a thing (probably have to play first) I wouldn't have an issue taking some of the younger generation and passing on the lessons I've learned in my life as to work ethics. Show them hard work pays off far more in the long run than sitting on their ass with their hand out.

Dist. Expert 26
06-10-17, 10:31
I would take half right out of the gate and find the best broker in the country. Pay him/her handsomely to ensure that my wealth continues to grow.

Ensure that no one in my family would ever want for anything.

Remodel my house exactly the way I want it.

Buy a new Ram 2500 Laramie, then send it straight to industrial injection. 750hp and 1200 ft lbs, a reasonable lift, air bags, lights, the whole nine yards.

A few motorcycles, starting with a KTM Super Duke R.

A 1000 acre shooting/motocross complex that might occasionally be open to the pubic.

Lease a private jet and pay my uncle (retried full bird, lifelong pilot) to fly me all over the world.

And of course some hookers and cocaine.

PatrioticDisorder
06-10-17, 10:39
I think I'd keep 2/3 after taxes, 1/3 would go to family, a few close friends, church and some legit charities. That would leave me with 182 mil before taxes or approximately 105.7 million after taxes, which is the number that really matters.... I'd drop 10-15 mill on a house on the water, either Port Royal (Naples), Marco Island, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove or somewhere in Palm Beach county (Manalapan, town of Palm Beach, etc) and skip right over the hellhole known as Broward county. I'd set aside a couple million on a nice sport yacht and fishing boat and call it good.

SteyrAUG
06-10-17, 17:16
My post was meant more in jest as I hoped it would be taken, especially the dirty old man portion of me hiring out college age coeds to crew my yacht. Apparently, the sarcasm didn't transfer over to this medium that well.

Yeah, missed the sarcasm. And just offering my POV, wasn't trying to cause a ruckus.

daniel87
06-10-17, 19:37
If i won id buy a new house and fill the swimming pool with loose 22 lr....im rich....[emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
06-10-17, 21:14
Upon winning, tell nobody and get the heck out of town. Arrange through my attorney to collect the winnings and pretty much be gone from business as usual for six plus months. People will come out of the woodwork for whomever wins that kind of money. They will not know how to reach me. My parents would also be brought along so that they wouldn't get inundated with calls and requests. All told, taking home just shy of $165MM post taxes, and I would easily park $140MM to work for me post expenses. Would leave one with a residual income of several million a year post tax, and that would be easily comfy enough.

Pay my taxes, work my way home slowly, build my dream property OCONUS and buy something decent but not too crazy in Florida. Probably wipe the debt slate clean for family (I don't have too many of them and they're all responsible people, whole number would be under a million and a half for every one of them added together), then probably live pretty simply for someone with that kind of money. I'm confident that I could live on the interest alone quite comfortably while building up my firearms and car collections.

Firearms, the usual F/A suspects along with a handful of 1911's from the top smiths. Maybe get Glock to make me a couple of G19's with front serrations, no groves, and a really grippy frame. That would probably cost more than everything else on the list. ;)

Yeah it would be cool to grab a new Chiron or a Centenario, but I'm perfectly happy with a 488 GTB, R8 (the new rear end sucks though, so I would skip this generation), and a 720S. Heck, my DD would probably just be me upgrading to the S8 here in the states, and a Wrangler at my get away home.

I would travel though. That would really be my vice for a bit. Again, nothing crazy. I wouldn't be hitting up the tables in Macau or partying it up in Dubai, but I certainly would head out and see the sights that I've always wanted to see. Probably follow my Dallas Stars for a season, attending every game. Then doing the same for the Colts and probably for my wife's teams as well.

Moose-Knuckle
06-11-17, 05:09
If i won id buy a new house and fill the swimming pool with loose 22 lr....im rich....[emoji1] [emoji1]

Yeah I'd feel the pool up with ammo and pull a Scrooge McDuck . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-11-17, 11:06
273 Million....

Easy. Pay my home off, rent it out, buy adjacent homes, rent them out. Buy beachfront property somewhere near beautiful dive spots with good weather, a private beach, my own dock, and somehow far enough away from civilization that no one bothers me again. Snatch up a vineyard in the south of France, and a cabin with a few hundred acres in Montana. Rent the French Villa and Montana Cabin out when not in use by me. Buy a private jet, and charter it out when not in use by me. Buy an apartment complex in Denver and live off the profits from rentals and investment dividends.

Buy a 66 Impala SS convertible, KAC SR25, and a 6920/G19 for every member of my family willing to train on my Montana property. Hire Travis Haley to fly to Montana and train said family members. Donate a chunk to the DAV.

With whatever is left over, help family pay off mortgages, buy a Porsche for the wife and a Raptor for myself, and spend my days smoking Cubans on my private beach, go deep sea fishing when I get the urge, and dive for lobsters every Tuesday for lobster tacos.

tylerw02
06-11-17, 11:20
Stopped to get gas on the way to work this morning and picked up the winning lottery ticket....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/a604cd7b88aa7ec900075df7b00a415e.jpg

So what are you doing with all the cash the ticket is worth?

_Stormin_
06-11-17, 13:35
Looks like someone in Cali is a whole lot wealthier. Perhaps they can use that money to flee the state...

daniel87
06-11-17, 14:48
Yeah I'd feel the pool up with ammo and pull a Scrooge McDuck . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw
Thanks for the reference o forgot what his name was [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
06-11-17, 14:54
Honestly, I'd probably just keep working as a FFL until the money ran out.

Spiffums
06-13-17, 10:07
Buy back the Family Farm. We had to sell off some to take care of Granny so I'd make them offers they couldn't refuse. Then put a high security fence around the whole thing.

yoni
06-13-17, 15:33
I didn't win.

Got to keep working, if I want that big ranch in either the USA or Ethiopia.

kerplode
06-13-17, 15:35
I didn't buy a ticket, so I suppose I won a $1... :smile:

elephant
06-13-17, 19:48
a dollar saved is a dollar earned, not won! I won $100 because I matched 4 numbers, paid $20 for 10 lines.