PDA

View Full Version : Loading Remington 700

jrcii
06-12-17, 09:58
Ok, this is going to make me seem REALLY stupid, but such is life.

I picked up my first bolt gun with a lowball bid on GunBroker. It's a Remington 700 in .308. It's supposed to have a 4+1 capacity. How do you get that +1? The only way I can see is to load 4 rounds, then manually load the 5th into the breech, then push down on the rounds as you move the bolt forward.

This seems wonky. Maybe it's really only meant to have 4 rounds?

See, I told you it would make me seem stupid :)

Thanks,

JRC

Leuthas
06-12-17, 10:19
Load 4 into mag, insert mag, load 1 round into chamber by cycling the bolt forward, remove mag, add another round, and insert mag again firmly.

SavageBrew84
06-12-17, 10:43
Considering yours most likely does not have a detachable magazine, how you described it is how I've always loaded mine, by wrapping my support hand under the rifle to depress the rounds. It's the same when you go to close the bolt on an empty chamber as well; just push the rounds down far enough that the bolt can't grab a round when you go to close it.

jrcii
06-12-17, 11:03
Oh, sorry. I should have pointed out that it's a 700P. It has an internal magazine with floor plate :)

JRC

jrcii
06-12-17, 11:04
Thanks, that's really the only way I can see to do it.

JRC

Considering yours most likely does not have a detachable magazine, how you described it is how I've always loaded mine, by wrapping my support hand under the rifle to depress the rounds. It's the same when you go to close the bolt on an empty chamber as well; just push the rounds down far enough that the bolt can't grab a round when you go to close it.

BoyScout4Life
11-02-19, 04:44
I have never gotten more than 4 in mine. And would like to use 5. No detachable mag.

OLIAR15
11-02-19, 05:17
Yes it’s 4 in the internal magazine plus one in the chamber, so pushing down before closing the bolt is the way to do it.

Here’s mine, cause I like pics

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191102/ab1dff8b210c4eb97f3187b637cf0863.jpg

robbins290
11-06-19, 05:35
Put the 4 rounds in, press down on the rounds and slide the bolt enough over the rounds. slide the 5th in to the action and close the bolt. works with the floor plate model and none.

Funny thing is i have a 700 made in 2006 chambered in 30-06 and a 2017 chambered in the same cartridge. The 2006 is 5+1 and the new one is 4+1.

grinder01
11-06-19, 06:44
Get one of these or better the full stock. Love minehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191106/09599bf1bea79f754e7c36162c3723e4.jpg

robbins290
11-06-19, 06:46
Grinder, will those bolt onto the factory stock?

grinder01
11-06-19, 08:40
Im sorry I see it will only fit the magpul hunter stock not factory stock. Here is what I found.

https://www.gunmann.com/remington-700-bottom-metals/

markm
11-06-19, 13:14
Shoot. I single feed mine off of an elastic side saddle. My last round always Effs up. I haven't put a round in my mag in years. I haven't felt the need to do bottom metal. Single feed appeals to my luddite instincts.

1859sharps
11-17-19, 10:25
*refresh caused a dup post*

1859sharps
11-17-19, 10:25
Im sorry I see it will only fit the magpul hunter stock not factory stock. Here is what I found.

https://www.gunmann.com/remington-700-bottom-metals/

I have the magpul hunter and bottom "metal" on my R700, well made, works etc. BUT...the stock is HEAVY. Also, the design of the fore stock fatigues my hand due to pressure from the "rib" that runs down it. not very comfortable. Not sure I would want to carry this for a days out in the field. But for just going to the range and having a grip area that is similar to the steyr scout, it's not a bad stock. If you are recoil sensitive, which I am not, the weight and built in but pad make shooting 308 feel very close to shooting 223. not exact, but close.

I am going to change out the stock at some point for something lighter.

as for the detachable mags in R700 rifles. all the one's worth getting are going to require some change to the stock. There are pros and cons to using a detachable mag. the biggest pros of course are a bit faster on the reload by not having to fiddle with loose rounds working around a scope. This can outweigh many of the cons. Another pro is the extra round, R700s are 4 by default, you can sort of make it a 5 rounder but it's not really designed to be one. see earlier posts by others for how to add the 5th round.

the con...cost. and they are not as quick to swap out as a rifle that was made ground up to be detachable magazine. also, the mags are single stack so they hang down past the stock or trigger guard depending on capacity. and depending on over all length of you rifle, can throw off the balanced carry point.

0311_jarhead
11-18-19, 09:25
Has anyone put one of these ^^^^^^ in an H-S stock. Would it be a drop in or would I need to fit it? I want to be able to change it back if I sell the rifle. I don't really need a metal one and this would work fine the amount I shoot it.
Thanks

Humpy70
12-24-19, 15:24
Open the mag well, you will see two "legs" on the bottom of the follower. Grind them down flush with bottom of follower, close it up, load 5 in mag and one in chamber.

As a practice when I go walking with mine I have five under bolt and carry on empty chamber as the safety is not necessarily so on the older triggers but they are the easiest to adjust and make a nice clean breaking trigger.