PDA

View Full Version : UBR or SOPMOD and a question

cathellsk
10-01-08, 11:35
Help me make up my mind. :) I know the advantages of each, just need to decide. I'm also willing to spend the money on one of these so thats not an issue. This will be on my 6920 with DD Omega 7" running a VFG and flashlight and eventually an Aimpoint Micro T1.

Also, if I go with the UBR, does it come wth everything I need to install it without having to buy anything else? Or do I need to get a stock wrench?

Fringe
10-01-08, 11:41
With that setup I would go with the SOPMOD. Love all mine. I would have a UBR on a long range type setup as it is heavier.

LOKNLOD
10-01-08, 11:49
To install the UBR, you'll need a wrench to remove the castle nut holding the receiver extension, because the UBR uses it's own, which can be installed with either the stock wrench or a standard open end or adjustable wrench. You'll also need a flat-head screwdriver for the screw that attaches the stock to the tube. The SOPMOD should just slip right on the factory Colt extension.

I love my UBR (so far) but that build sounds very well suited to the SOPMOD, I think. Honestly if you know the advantages to each, beyond that it comes down to personal preference. On a 6920 with standard carbine-length rails, I think the SOPMOD looks more at home...the UBR looks better on something with at least a mid-length rail. That's about as personally biased of an opinion as an MSNBC convention report, though.

cathellsk
10-01-08, 11:59
That's about as personally biased of an opinion as an MSNBC convention report, though.

Now thats funny!:)
Thanks guys, the weight thing was one of the things gnawing at me.
One of the things I need on this stock is the QD sling swivel. The UBR has two per side and the newer SOPMODs have one I found out. I emailed around and no one has the new SOPMODs in stock with the new swivel except LMT themselves, and they told me its only on the black ones till they sell off the older tan ones so they can start selling those with them too.

Magsz
10-01-08, 12:02
Anyone weighed the two stocks and compared them yet?

snakedoctor
10-01-08, 12:20
if you are trying to save on weight then go with the LMT. i have both and the UBR is heavy. its way more adjustable though and has a big CDI factor about it. if you're carrying it all day you'll want the LMT.

KevinB
10-01-08, 12:28
for that rifle - CTR or VLTOR EMOD

5POINT56
10-01-08, 12:39
USMC03 has some great photos of some of his carbines, very similar to your descriptions, and they've got SOPMOD's across the board if I remember correctly.

Though I have never handled the UBR, it looks a bit much for what you described. A CTR would seem to be a better selection out of the Magpul line. The SOPMOD is my personal favorite.

USMC03
10-01-08, 13:38
Repost of info I had written on another thread:

It really comes down to personal preference and that is not something that can be explained or decided over the internet. You really can't go wrong with either stock.

Something I have learned about AR's over the years is, it's a game of matching the right part with the right gun. You may try a stock on a 10.5" SBR and hate it, and then try the same stock on a 16" mid-length carbine and fall in love with it.

Here is something I wrote in another thread in reference to my personal preferences on different stocks:

There are some accessories that I like across the board on all AR's, there are other accessories that I may like on a 11.5" SBR but not like on a 16" Mid-Length or a 20" rifle.

Stocks can

1) help balance out a rifle

2) or if the stock too big or heavy can dominate the gun

3) and if it's too small or too light can make the gun feel muzzle heavy

After trying several different configurations over the year, at the current time I have found that I like Magpul CTR's on SBR's and some 14.5" M4's but I don't like Mapgul CTR's on 16" barreled mid-lengths or 14.5" guns with longer rail systems (9.0 - 13.2). The Magpul CTR is a light weight stock and doesn't balance out a front heavy carbine well.

SOPMODs (for me) fit perfectly on a 14.5" M4, but can also balance most SBR's and mid-lengths out fairly well.

Vltor EMods and Magpul UBRs balance out 16" Mid-Lenghts and most 18" gun with rifle length gas tubes quite well.

As a general rule I run:

-Magpul CTR's on SBR's (short barreled rifle) and some 14.5" M4's (with carbine length rail system)

-SOPMODs only on 14.5" M4's

-Vltor EMods and Magpul UBR's only on 16" mid-lengths

-Magpul UBR's on 14.5" - 16" barrels with longer rail systems (10.0 - 13.2) (example show above of a UBR on a Noveske with a 14.5" barrel and a 10.0 rail system)

I also recently had the chance to try a Magpul UBR on a 20" rifle and the UBR balanced out the rifle extreemly well.

S/F,
Jeff

theJanitor
10-01-08, 13:50
for that rifle - CTR or VLTOR EMOD

+1 this build sounds simple and relatively light. as much as i love my SOPMODS, the CTR would fit the bill nicely here.

Failure2Stop
10-01-08, 14:08
Generally concur with USMC03,

10.5 to 14.5 (carbine rails) - Magpul CTR
14.5 to 16 (carbine rails) - SOPMOD
16 (midlength - depending on accessories)- EMod, SOPMOD, or UBR
16 to 20 (midlength to rifle rails) - UBR

Shark
10-01-08, 18:07
SOPMOD! That being said, mine is mounted on a 14.5 incher with a 7" rail & VFG. I'm building a 6.8 SPC which will have a 16" barrel and 9-12" rail. On this rifle I will mount the UBR. USMC03 and others have great advice.

Abraxas
10-02-08, 16:07
14.5 - 16 (carbine rails) - E-Mod, SOPMOD
16-18 (midlength - depending on accessories)- E-Mod, SOPMOD
20+ (rifle rails) - UBR

Just my opinion

MH64
10-02-08, 18:42
For the setup you describe, SOPMOD.

Solid
10-02-08, 19:30
I have a UBR on a 16" carbine. No weight issues, and balances fine.

The UBR is like having a fixed adjustable. That is how sturdy it is to the lower.

Cameron
10-02-08, 20:15
I have a SOPMOD on a 16" mid length with 12" rail and I am thinking of removing it and replacing it with a UBR.

Anyone want a SOPMOD and receiver extension?

Cameron

DocGKR
10-02-08, 20:28
We pretty much use CTR's on all the Mk18/Colt Commando's, as well as M4's/6920's; the UBR's have replaced all the A1/A2 stocks on the Mk12's and 20" guns--UBR would also work on a very nose heavy 16" upper.

BAC
10-02-08, 21:44
Is the UBR really that heavy? I'd thought to get one for an N4 Light Recce Basic, but now I'm thinking of sticking with the Vltor it comes with...

-B

cathellsk
10-03-08, 00:01
Guys, thanks very much for the comments. :)

Solid
10-03-08, 01:33
Is the UBR really that heavy? I'd thought to get one for an N4 Light Recce Basic, but now I'm thinking of sticking with the Vltor it comes with...

-B

Honestly I think it is exaggerated. Your not going to have a collapsible that is as strong and as rigid in a lighter package.