PDA

View Full Version : Powder storage?

tommyrott
06-14-17, 06:20
I have recently moved to a different state and altitude recently and have my powder stored in original containers and have noticed that some of the one pound bottles have slightly collapsed, all of them being unopened. I opened one up and smelled to see if there was a difference, which I did not really think there was. Just wondering if it might have been the change in altitude which might have caused this? Use to live at 6500 now I am at 300. I have had most of the powder for about 5-9 years stockpiled

Ryno12
06-14-17, 07:21
It was likely the altitude change that caused the collapse of the jugs. Air pressure is lower at the higher altitude so when you moved to a lower elevation, the air pressure inside the jugs is lower than the outside atmosphere.

Open them up & let them equalize.

Eric D.
06-14-17, 07:23
That'll do it.

Use to live at 6500 now I am at 300.

tommyrott
06-14-17, 07:35
Thanks, figured that was the case. Would have been more worried if they were bulging and smelled rancid

G woody
06-14-17, 16:08
The one can of powder I've ever had go bad was very obvious when I opened the can (IMR 4895) that I had no doubt. Redish brown in color & very dusty. Nasty stuff, for sure.

tigershilone
06-14-17, 21:55
6500' to 300' MSL = about a 3 PSI difference, more than enough to push in a plastic powder can. Won't hurt it though.

Bimmer
06-15-17, 02:13
I thought that plastic powder containers were sealed?

Are they not airtight?

Or is it that there's long-term seepage, and his powder containers all acclimated to 6,500 feet, and only collapsed when he suddenly moved to 300 feet?

tylerw02
06-15-17, 02:24
I thought that plastic powder containers were sealed?

Are they not airtight?

Or is it that there's long-term seepage, and his powder containers all acclimated to 6,500 feet, and only collapsed when he suddenly moved to 300 feet?

That hasn't been my experience at all. They are somewhat sealed, but certainly not airtight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bimmer
06-15-17, 07:43
That hasn't been my experience at all. They are somewhat sealed, but certainly not airtight.

I thought that I remembered that they came with seals over the openings, like bottles of aspirin, but it's been a while since I opened a new one, and I might be senile...

tylerw02
06-15-17, 08:16
Yeah they have an aspirin bottle looking "seal", but it isn't airtight. It's a piece of foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazykarl
06-15-17, 19:35
All of my usgi ammo cans did the same thing. Moved from 4300 feet to 700 feet. All were slightly sucked in and all gave a satisfying hiss when opened as the gasket gave way.

lowprone
06-16-17, 15:02
Keep powder in cool , dry place away from direct sunlight should last a very long lime.
I have what is left of one of the old cardboard 8lb containers of Bullseye and the powder
is still producing accurate loads.
Must be 20 years at least.

tommyrott
06-16-17, 15:11
I bought a 20 year old jug of accurate 2230, but that ended up being stored like markm, and pappabear store their powder in individual cartridges. Never had a problem with that jug. I have moved the tote I have all my powder stored in into an air-conditioned room till I get my loading setup running, thanks for the info

Yooperboy
07-02-17, 23:56
15 years ago I moved to Co. 7500' from Marquette, Mi. Just reloaded some unique powder from that date in my 9mm. Still good. Kept it in an ammo box in a closet. When I moved, the can was slightly bulged, equalized it and been fine. Just used the last of it loading up 147gr xtp hornady.