PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Advantage "Hanson" Barrel

gaijin
06-14-17, 16:16
I run these on a couple guns, have had good accuracy with them and zero problems.
I never measured gas port diameter on my 14.5 and 16" guns, but with an H3 and Geissle braided buffer springs they are relatively soft shooting with m193 ammo.
I assume due to this they are of appropriate size?
Has anyone measured port size on these barrels?

RobertTheTexan
06-14-17, 17:14
I thought I read in an archived thread. This was the individual post.

I inquired in regards to gas port size and this was there response :
"Good morning,

Appreciate the inquiry. The gas port size of 5.56 10.3” Hanson carbine .073 and the 11.5” 5.56 is .076. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Kyle Ware

Ballistic Advantage, LLC

2516 JMT Industrial Dr.

Units 106-109

Apopka, FL 32703

407-739-7664"

**I have not verified on my barrel, but my 10.3" Hanson seems very conservatively ported.

ETA:
Also per weaponoutfitters:
" The barrels are 4150 chrome moly vanadium and melonited for strength. The receiver extensions are Nickel Boron coated for durability and ease of cleaning. Gas blocks are factory pinned, and most importantly, the barrels are designed specifically to have the best balance of weight, strength, and accuracy.
A few unique things Hanson barrels do is that they buck trends: these barrels usually have shorter gas systems to better aid with inherent accuracy through superior harmonics. Years ago I learned that midlength gas system SPR barrels generally were more consistent and accurate than rifle length gas systems… through Denny of Global Tactical Supply (GTS) and now… I finally know why! Shorter gas systems also give the system more leway in regards to performance with and without cans. All that extra dwell time matched to an intelligent gas port size allows for the weapon to be less picky with ammunition and suppressor use."

Sent from my iPhone using Whackamole

gaijin
06-14-17, 19:31
Could I reasonably assume the 14.5 and 16" barrels are NOT appreciably larger than the .076" cited on their 11.5" barrel?

And thank you.

markm
06-15-17, 12:01
Could I reasonably assume the 14.5 and 16" barrels are NOT appreciably larger than the .076" cited on their 11.5" barrel?

And thank you.

They should be smaller. Due to dwell time, carbines need less gas.

gaijin
06-15-17, 12:11
That was my assumption as well.
I will measure the port on the next 14.5/16" barrel before install.
Guess I'm expecting something on the order of .072- .074".

My question came from another manufacturers 16" barrel, with a port of .078"+, having sharper/harsher recoil than the BA barrels. This with same components other than barrel.
I realize I could install an adjustable gas block, but would prefer the port itself be of proper size.
The adjustable block seems a "band-aid" and something else that can fail- "KISS" principal.

RobertTheTexan
06-15-17, 13:01
Do you just use calipers to measure the hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin
06-15-17, 13:05
No sir, calipers for measuring ID are too imprecise.
I used precision drill bits since I don't have pin gauges.

RobertTheTexan
06-15-17, 13:58
Duh! Pin gauges make sense. I was wondering how a caliper set would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk