PDA

View Full Version : This Puts The "Fun" in going to Fun Spot (Cop Gear Stolen from Car in Orlando)

sandman99and9
06-14-17, 17:11
An agent from a narcotics squad in his unmarked car at Fun Spot in Orlando had his car stolen. They recovered his car not far away but it was missing his HK UMP rifle, ammo, body armor, badge, and handgun. Damn, can't even go to Fun Spot without getting ripped off. Hope they find the shitbag that stole it and recover his gear. You don't see many gangbangers or thug wannabe's running around with UMP's

Link to the news article.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/agents-undercover-vehicle-stolen-from-fun-spot-parking-lot

S.M.

ORLANDO, Fla. - An agent's undercover vehicle was stolen from a Fun Spot parking lot and then recovered about a mile away on International Drive, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

A narcotics squad agent realized his vehicle was missing around 9:30 p.m. Saturday. The vehicle was found abandoned 30 minutes later at 5150 International Drive.

More News Headlines
Car Break-ins: Could your car be at risk?
3 arrested in 28 car break-ins at Orlando parking garage
Brevard sheriff urges residents to carry guns, fight back after attacks
A department-issued H&K UMP submachine gun, a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber pistol, ammunition, two magazines, two narcotics squad shirts, a tactical vest with body armor and a sheriff's star were missing from the vehicle.

The agent's personal .40-caliber Glock was also stolen, a news release said.

No arrests have been made in the case.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-14-17, 17:16
Fun Spot is a Strip Club or something?

AKDoug
06-14-17, 19:06
Fun Spot is a Strip Club or something?

Amusement Park...

ggammell
06-14-17, 19:45
I'm still not sure why some places don't have legitimate weapon locks or vaults in their cars. Like it should, be included in either the cost of the vehicle as basic equipment or in the cost of the rifle.

Moose-Knuckle
06-15-17, 04:30
Feds getting guns and gear stolen from vehicles is all to common.

They make quick access vaults for automobiles.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-15-17, 09:19
Crap, that is pretty much my Father's Day wish list.

HeruMew
06-15-17, 10:27
Holy hell.

Woudln't surprise me if we hear about a rash of Fake Drug Busts commited by some organized gang bangers with shirts and badge to match.

All I know, is I wouldn't wanna have to go explain how thousands of dollars worth of gear, 3 guns, and unique "authority" clothing is now missing.

I suppose the explanation could be that they broke in. I mean how hard are those cars to get into with a bit of time and some tools?

Boy Scout
06-15-17, 13:05
Feds getting guns and gear stolen from vehicles is all to common.

They make quick access vaults for automobiles.

Departments are cheap and I can't afford it myself, LOL. Although apparently our reserves have earned dual racks in their cars and us full-timers have to make do.

My rifle rides in the trunk in a plastic rifle case, unloaded. Not exactly the fastest deployment method, but it's what I have...

26 Inf
06-15-17, 13:18
Departments are cheap and I can't afford it myself, LOL. Although apparently our reserves have earned dual racks in their cars and us full-timers have to make do.

My rifle rides in the trunk in a plastic rifle case, unloaded. Not exactly the fastest deployment method, but it's what I have...

Our Sheriff's Reserve buy most of their own stuff, they have had fundraisers for vests and other equipment such as collapsible batons, etc.

Yeah, it sucks.

How do you guys run patrol, random unit or assigned unit? If the same four officers share a unit maybe you could get together and install a rack.

Boy Scout
06-15-17, 14:33
I'm full time patrol K9 assigned to our warrant/tactical unit. We ride single man take home cars. Most of our reserves work part-time gigs as their primary source of income and make more than we do. Our reserves are unpaid, but their boss is a high-roller and gets what he wants. He got all of the nice 2012-2016 Chargers pulled from the rest of the road unit and assigned to the Reserves and we were issued 2006-2012 CVPI's purchased from another agency when they sold them off...

26 Inf
06-15-17, 14:49
Do you have to keep the rifle in the trunk? Will they let you put a rack in the unit?

I don't want to be that guy, but work is providing a ride to and from the job, over the course of a year that pays for a rack.

To me it would be a personal safety issue. I'd buy one myself for a take home car, making sure to get one that would most likely transfer to the next unit.

I once sent a memo to my Chief which contained a letter I had given to my wife expressing my concerns over the shotgun racks being eliminated from from the new patrol units because the old ones wouldn't fit. In that letter I documented my efforts to get the situation corrected - which stalled at the Patrol Captain - and told my wife to take the letter to our attorney in the case I was ever injured as a result.

Presto, new racks, and a new enemy - not the Chief, he was a fan.

Dienekes
06-15-17, 21:13
I'm still not sure why some places don't have legitimate weapon locks or vaults in their cars. Like it should, be included in either the cost of the vehicle as basic equipment or in the cost of the rifle.

I'm waiting for the day when decent secure weapons storage containers become actual options in vehicles. I think we've just about maxed out on airbags, cup holders, and entertainment systems.

Come to think about it, my CJ5 fits that profile...

ggammell
06-15-17, 22:12
I'm waiting for the day when decent secure weapons storage containers become actual options in vehicles. I think we've just about maxed out on airbags, cup holders, and entertainment systems.

Come to think about it, my CJ5 fits that profile...

There are so many options from magnetic, electronic or even manual locks that are bolted to a car to gun vaults etc. anything to defeat the "break into car, take unsecured weapon" deal. Youre gonna spend at least a grand on lights and controls etc, add the locking mechanism. Standard equipment for a police vehicle.

Moose-Knuckle
06-16-17, 04:23

Yeah that sucks.

When you have select-fire UMPs walking off it's time to get your people some secure storage.