PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Systems piston conversion

Littlelebowski
10-01-08, 14:30
Anyone know anything about this (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ar15m16gaspistonconversionkitpartar-gaspiston.aspx)? I'm not interested but people are curious on another forum I'm on.

SoDak
10-01-08, 19:32
Is it possible to get a bigger picture? If your a member of the akforum you could ask center fire there.

SoDak
10-01-08, 19:41
I just hopped over to TOS and they were talking about it there. Apparenting here's what it is.
http://www.tnwfirearms.com/products_piston_kit.shtml

lionhart
10-05-08, 11:03
Appears to me it could be a rather good conversion. No threaded parts/tiny spring/pin like the ARES, and is a long stroke system, putting less wear on the BCG. I emailed TNW, the manufactures of the kit about the issues of bolt carrier tilt. Here is their responce:

Thank you for your email.
We have not seen any "carrier tilt". I have heard about this from a caller last week. We have checked the test guns and do not see any wear on the bottom of the lower receiver near the buffer or in the roof of the upper. A lot of our rounds tested have been in an M16-A1. What were are you seeing? Our design is based on an acceleration curve over a longer time period. I would assume that if you put a lot of "torque" pressure on the bolt as it transitions the "gap" then there will be adverse wear. The long stroke design does not hammer the bolt open. Our configuration accelerates the bolt over a long distance in order to give it a velocity great enough for the bold hold back to catch on the last round. There is no need to impart any more energy on the system than that.
We look forward to hearing from you.

ABNAK
10-09-08, 13:38
Appears to me it could be a rather good conversion. No threaded parts/tiny spring/pin like the ARES, and is a long stroke system, putting less wear on the BCG. I emailed TNW, the manufactures of the kit about the issues of bolt carrier tilt. Here is their responce:

The caller they refer to is probably me. I had a rather in-depth conversation with them about their system. Seems they basically have a "gas trap" type of setup that delays unlocking until the pressure curve has peaked and therefore less force is required to unlock the bolt. They said other designs "knock it open like hitting it with a balpeen hammer". Theirs requires only a "tap".

Who knows? I'll wait and see how these work, but the line of thinking they use sounds interesting.

Dace
10-09-08, 22:24
No one has yet developed a system that uses the standard carrier key that DIDNT shear the screws eventually so we will see if this is any different.

lionhart
10-12-08, 23:14
No one has yet developed a system that uses the standard carrier key that DIDNT shear the screws eventually so we will see if this is any different.

That was another issue I thought about as well, but according to TNW this is not an issue.

Apparently there were a lot of kit's sold over this past weekend at Knob Creek, so reviews should be showing up fairly soon. I've seen all the other piston conversions, and this one is certainly interesting.

If it functions as TNW claims, it will be a hit.

KyAKGuy
10-12-08, 23:35
Apparently there were a lot of kit's sold over this past weekend at Knob Creek, so reviews should be showing up fairly soon. I've seen all the other piston conversions, and this one is certainly interesting.

If it functions as TNW claims, it will be a hit.

One of the J&T / Doublestar booths at Knob Creek
was selling them for $250 each.

KyAKGuy

ABNAK
10-14-08, 15:32
One of the J&T / Doublestar booths at Knob Creek
was selling them for $250 each.

KyAKGuy

Actually, I saw one there for $245. I know it's splitting hair........

Will be interesting to see if their "expansion chamber" line of thinking really does decrease the impact needed to unlock.

ArmatusCivis91
10-15-08, 14:06
I know of a company called LWRC that installs AR piston systems as well, I hear their supposed to be farily well made.

C4IGrant
10-15-08, 17:47
If the key is not milled into the bolt carrier and if the carrier does not have an anti-tilt pad on it, I wouldn't even consider it.

C4