PDA

View Full Version : Pws ratchet castle nut and end plate???

Mike14_07
06-18-17, 21:30
I usually dont even look at things like this but this has me slightly intrigued. How good are these at keeping the nut in place? As good as staking? I always have staked my castle nut but the stakes either turn out great or crappy looking. Not a big deal but im wanting to build a nicer looking rifle with smos recievers.

RobertTheTexan
06-18-17, 22:04
Mike it's been discussed a few times. If you search the forum you'll find the threads. Here's a link to the thread I posted on a couple of weeks ago.
In short I've bought 3, had to return two end plates. I get the idea but I won't use them again. I'm going to stick to mil spec castle nuts. I've not had one back off on me yet anyway.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?194232-Anybody-using-the-PWS-ratcheting-castle-nut-end-plate-with-a-non-PWS-buffer-tube/page2

So I would continue staking your castle nuts if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike14_07
06-18-17, 22:20
Yeah i forgot to add in the post i was worried about how shott the stub was. Do you not stake your castle nuts? This wont be a main rifle or a rifle i will depend on for anything. So i may skip the staking on this one

RobertTheTexan
06-19-17, 00:46
Yeah i forgot to add in the post i was worried about how shott the stub was. Do you not stake your castle nuts? This wont be a main rifle or a rifle i will depend on for anything. So i may skip the staking on this one

You should be concerned about that. What also concerned me was two of the replacement end plates had been touched up with a Sharpie. Could have been nothing, could be something. Either way, I have chalked this up to a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Mil spec castle nuts properly tightened and staked work. I don't torque mine, while I haven't built 50, I've built enough to know when it's tight enough.
Have your tried using Birchwood-Casey Super Black or Aluminum Black? Maybe that can minimize the appearance of your staking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk