PDA

View Full Version : suppressing a 1:9 10.5" bbl

davidp14
10-22-06, 10:22
I found out that the 10.5" upper Im gonna use for my RR M16 is a 1:9, and Ive read all the posts about folks having issues with running a suppressor on a short bbl with such a slow twist.

Anybody who has any experience care to comment?

SHIVAN
10-22-06, 19:14
Only way to be sure is to shoot it. :(

1:9 should stablize 55gr or lighter projectiles just fine. It MAY do other, heavier, weights too but you won't know until you print it to paper and see.

Then, even after all that, you may STILL have issues. Even with 1:7 you can have issues that could mess up your suppressor. I'd pick a maker with a good track record of customer service.

Robb Jensen
10-23-06, 06:11
Dave, as Ed said you should be fine w/55gr. 1x9 will stabilize up to 69gr very reliably. I wouldn't shoot anything over 69gr in anything but a 1x8 or 1x7 just to be safe while suppressed. Just make sure your threading is concentric with the bore. What make is the barrel?

davidp14
10-23-06, 11:53
Dave, as Ed said you should be fine w/55gr. 1x9 will stabilize up to 69gr very reliably. I wouldn't shoot anything over 69gr in anything but a 1x8 or 1x7 just to be safe while suppressed. Just make sure your threading is concentric with the bore. What make is the barrel?

I dont know who made it. It was just an impulse EE buy.:rolleyes: Theres no markings on it that I can find, except a "keyhole" stamp on the upper. It looks like a factory length, or at least a pretty good smith cut and thread. Im going to test it out and see how it does. I may just keep it as my beater upper and tourqe down the vortex FH thats on it now to prevent anyone putting my M42k on it. If I do that, Ill get a decent 11.5" upper to use with the M42k.

OK, heres another question: Im thinking about getting a 7.5" pistol upper for use with a ciener 22 kit. I KNOW its a bad idea to shoot 223 through a suppressor from a 7.5" bbl but what about 22lr?

MadDog
10-30-06, 21:48
I am shooting 55gr. out of my suppressed 10.5" 1:9 bbl. with no problems. No baffel strikes or keyholing yet. I don't plan on trying anything heavier than 55gr. just to make sure.

MadDog :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/AACRanger009.jpg

deadwood83
10-30-06, 22:04
I dont know who made it. It was just an impulse EE buy.:rolleyes: Theres no markings on it that I can find, except a "keyhole" stamp on the upper. It looks like a factory length, or at least a pretty good smith cut and thread. Im going to test it out and see how it does. I may just keep it as my beater upper and tourqe down the vortex FH thats on it now to prevent anyone putting my M42k on it. If I do that, Ill get a decent 11.5" upper to use with the M42k.

OK, heres another question: Im thinking about getting a 7.5" pistol upper for use with a ciener 22 kit. I KNOW its a bad idea to shoot 223 through a suppressor from a 7.5" bbl but what about 22lr?

If you plan to have a .22lr upper you might as well make it a dedicated upper. The Ceiner kit's accuracy is piss-poor at best when run in a .223 barrel.

As for your original question, .22lr can be reliably and safely suppressed down to a barrel length of about 3.5" IIRC.

davidp14
10-31-06, 09:43
thanks guys.

I originally wanted to get the 7.5" pistol bbl in 556 so I could switch from 22lr to 223 once in a while. Now that I think about it though Ill probably just get a dedicated 22lr bbl.

davidp14
11-09-06, 13:20
well the form3 isnt approved yet......

But, the good news is I just ordered a 7.5" .22lr bbl and a ciener M16 kit. :D

I guess the longer it takes to get the transfer done, the more goodies Ill have sitting here ready to slap on it and go.:cool:

Off to search the EE for an upper.

next up, 9mm setup, this damn thing is REALLY getting expensive.:eek:

Steve-HSA
11-24-06, 07:27
well the form3 isnt approved yet......

But, the good news is I just ordered a 7.5" .22lr bbl and a ciener M16 kit. :D

I guess the longer it takes to get the transfer done, the more goodies Ill have sitting here ready to slap on it and go.:cool:

Off to search the EE for an upper.

next up, 9mm setup, this damn thing is REALLY getting expensive.:eek:

Should have keep your old 9mm setup, best one I ever built. ;)

davidp14
11-29-06, 14:31
Should have keep your old 9mm setup, best one I ever built. ;)
Your right. But in my opwn defense, back when I sold it I was in the market for an Hk sear. BTW I met the THIRD owner of that AR at the last HH shoot. I just kept staring at it and was thinking, " damn that looks familiar."
:cool:

MX5
02-15-07, 20:33
I'm kind of late coming in here, but couldn't help myself. Be careful using a .22LR conversion on a suppressed 5.56mm bbl. On a 5.56mm bbl, less than 11.5" boat tail bullets can yaw upon exiting the muzzle depending on bullet weight and rifling twist. The reason for poor accuracy when using .22LR conversions on 5.56mm barrels is related to the bore diameter and the twist rate in relation to the .22LR bullets. Adding a can with a bbl even shorter might aggravate the problem, causing the bullet strike to the baffles. Just something to ponder for my $.02.