PDA

View Full Version : "Predator" 30th anniversary

Slater
06-20-17, 08:38
"Predator" hit theatres 30 years ago this month. Hard to believe it's been that long, and couldn't let it go by without saying something. I think it still holds up pretty well today even considering the 30-year old special effects.

Dutch and Anna are probably somewhere in Middle America, comfortably retired.

chuckman
06-20-17, 09:12
Once you get through a bit of cheese with the characters its quite a good movie. I'll always watch it when it's on....one of my faves.

Doc Safari
06-20-17, 09:16
I liked the movie, but I wish they had stuck to the commando raid scenario and hadn't brought in the alien element. It was a great movie before the creature arrived and I always thought the creature really wasn't necessary to making it a great movie.

Det-Sog
06-20-17, 09:59
Getting old... &^%$... I was 20-something when I saw it in the theater.

I liked the movie, but I wish they had stuck to the commando raid scenario and hadn't brought in the alien element. It was a great movie before the creature arrived and I always thought the creature really wasn't necessary to making it a great movie.

Disagree. I'm a si-fi (good ones) fan, and think the commandos actually complimented the alien well. It was actually a si-fi movie written with a commando theme, not the other way around. Either way, darn good flick.

Doc Safari
06-20-17, 10:02
Getting old... &^%$... I was 20-something when I saw it in the theater.

Disagree. I'm a si-fi (good ones) fan, and think the commandos actually complimented the alien well. It was actually a si-fi movie written with a commando theme, not the other way around. Either way, darn good flick.

Once again, I did like the movie, I just have the same problem with Predator that I had with From Dusk Til Dawn: they had a damn good movie that didn't really need the sci fi or horror plot.

JMHO. I'd watch Predator again in a minute, but I'll always see another movie in it.

Det-Sog
06-20-17, 10:06
I see your point... Dusk 'til Dawn was way overboard. I just have a soft spot for Predator. One of my all time favorites.

RetroRevolver77
06-20-17, 11:11

Wasn't that the whole point of the movie?

hotrodder636
06-20-17, 11:14
Commandos raid or not, the movie was written with a Sci-Fi plot...

So, 30 years and next year is supposed to be the re-make from Shane Black (also in the original).

soulezoo
06-20-17, 11:33
Man, here I was thinking this was about LaRue!

The movie did provide one of the best all time lines in moviedom for Jesse Ventura ... "I ain't got time to bleed!"

Doc Safari
06-20-17, 11:39
Man, here I was thinking this was about LaRue!

The movie did provide one of the best all time lines in moviedom for Jesse Ventura ... "I ain't got time to bleed!"

I concur.

I also like when the big guy tells the CO or adviser, or whatever he was, that if he gives away their position again he'll bleed him "real quiet."

Big A
06-20-17, 12:28
I concur.

I also like when the big guy (Mac) tells the CO or adviser (Dillon, CIA, SOB), or whatever he was, that if he gives away their position again he'll bleed him "real quiet."
:)...

Big A
06-20-17, 12:46
"I ain't got time to bleed!"

"Yeah? You got time to duck?"

chuckman
06-20-17, 12:56
C. Robert Cargill of Film.com ranked Predator as the seventh best film of 1987, calling it "one of the great science fiction horror films, often imitated, but never properly duplicated, not even by its own sequel."

I am getting nostalgic. I am going to have to find it and watch it again, soon.

Gunfixr
06-20-17, 13:29
Damn.
Well, guess it's time to fire up the dvd player and surround system, and crack open a brew.
Back later.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

ramairthree
06-20-17, 15:06
Classic.

Ah...
The pre marital 11B Ranger Bn days of taking a girl to Ryan's, each getting a petite sirloin with huge rolls and fries, the salad bar, a drink, then going to a movie, splitting a popcorn and drink, for like 20 bucks.

And another ten or so for gas for the Z28 and alcohol.

Then sex five or six times that night.

Some Kind of Wonderful Lethal Weapon The Secret of My Success Beverly Hills Cop 2 The Untoucables Predator Full Metal Jacket Robocop The Lost Boys Dirty Dancing James Bond Hellraiser

And the women that went with them.

lethal Weapon, and Robocop twice, Predator three times maybe.

What a mind rush.

To live like that for thirty bucks!

I'll be in my bunk.

MountainRaven
06-20-17, 16:25
Wasn't that the whole point of the movie?

Yes. Complaining about the Predator (yautja?) in Predator is like complaining about how the xenomorph in Alien totally ruins an otherwise brilliant movie about space miners.

ramairthree
06-20-17, 19:51
Yes. Complaining about the Predator (yautja?) in Predator is like complaining about how the xenomorph in Alien totally ruins an otherwise brilliant movie about space miners.

Well played Sir, well played.

Please select your next beverage from the top shelf on me.

I was going to say it was like saying Cowboys and Aliens was stupid for having Aliens in a cowboy movie,
But you nailed it with a better and more era / classic reference.

SteyrAUG
06-20-17, 21:05

That would defeat the entire purpose. It was like Dog Soldiers, you think it's a movie about special forces or something and then out of left field you have an entirely different movie. This is also the first film that drove me crazy with the gun handling. I wasn't a "finger off the trigger" fanatic or anything when it came to hollywood but special forces shooting from the hip drove me so nuts I had a hard time enjoying the movie.

Thankfully this is a "pre cgi" film so I can always enjoy it on that level.

Moose-Knuckle
06-21-17, 03:47
Who was your favorite character?

For me, it was "We're all gonna die" Billy.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4265/35441894605_c4d04e5187_z.jpg

So many good quotes from the original.

This might be my favorite . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3rfAjpHOyI

Own all the Predator films, yes all of them. The first being the best duh. Very interested in seeing the reboot. Hell I even enjoyed the AVP films.

One of the reasons why I'm a big fan of Fear TWD is Rubén Blades who was Detective Danny Archuletain in Predator 2. In FTWD he is my favorite character, being a graduate of the School of the Americas and killing commies back in the old country.

Still remember the TV spots for Predator 2, "He's in town for a few days to kill ... this Thanksgiving" lol.

I was a youngling when it came out but had the movie poster with Arnold holding his M16 w/ M203. My dad had a copy of IIRC Blade magazine that ran a cover and feature article on the blades featured in the film created by Jack W. Crain.

sig1473
06-21-17, 06:34
Who was your favorite character?

For me, it was "We're all gonna die" Billy.

Mine is Dillon(Carl Weathers). I just like him.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/64/PredatorHK94chopped-14.jpg/600px-PredatorHK94chopped-14.jpg

I love this scene:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mevYgTYp2Mg/hqdefault.jpg

chuckman
06-21-17, 07:26
A little movie trivia: The jungle where they filmed in Mexico? It was freezing. They had to bring in heat lamps and heaters. There was a real risk of hypothermia for "Ah-nold" with the filming in the water. And the guy in the predator suit couldn't see anything so he had to memorize the terrain and his marks before filming a scene.

Slater
06-21-17, 07:37
Nowadays the team would be armed with M4A1's and Blaine would probably be carrying an M240.

ramairthree
06-21-17, 10:07
Carl weathers is a guy I think should have been among the pantheon of Expendables characters in the movies.

You played friend/foil to The big two.
And had your own action movie.

80s action movies were glorious.

chuckman
06-21-17, 10:35
80s action movies were glorious.

Werd.

And the plots were relatively meaningless, and no significant character development. Those 80s action movies were outstanding.

Det-Sog
06-21-17, 10:55
And the plots were relatively meaningless, and no significant character development. Those 80s action movies were outstanding.

Add the anti-PC themes, the cheesy lines, and no CGI. Without CGI, they actually had to blow stuff up.

I'd just gotten off of active duty and was getting ready to enter the police academy when this came out... Watching this movie really makes me feel like i'm getting up there. Oh wait, I am...

ramairthree
06-22-17, 01:03
I want CGI to master pre CGI special effects.
And the actors.

Then we can have Rambo, Commando Matrix,, McClane, Riggs, etc. with Universal Soldier, the Punisher, with space marines and Time Cop, etc from the future, with a reprogrammed Terminator based on Commando, who is an alias of Dutch, with Dillon yelling Showtime! And Murtaugh continuously comparing about being too old for this shit.,
As they team up with predators to stop an Alien onslaught.
With Robocop showing up to sacrifice himself to save the day, face helmet blown apart,
Where it is revealed this Robocop is , Scott McCoy, the half brother of Dutch/Matrix.

With plenty of big haired 80s chicks.

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-17, 04:22
A little movie trivia: The jungle where they filmed in Mexico? It was freezing. They had to bring in heat lamps and heaters. There was a real risk of hypothermia for "Ah-nold" with the filming in the water. And the guy in the predator suit couldn't see anything so he had to memorize the terrain and his marks before filming a scene.

My favorite trivia from this film is that a then unknown Jean-Claude Van Damme was supposed to be the guy in the predator suit and the original suit / Predator looked much different . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1GfUoB0kog

SteyrAUG
06-22-17, 21:43
My favorite trivia from this film is that a then unknown Jean-Claude Van Damme was supposed to be the guy in the predator suit and the original suit / Predator looked much different . . .

Actually he was "unknown" all the way back in 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkf3ImdgWo0

Talon167
06-23-17, 20:52
I want CGI to master pre CGI special effects.
And the actors.

Then we can have Rambo, Commando Matrix,, McClane, Riggs, etc. with Universal Soldier, the Punisher, with space marines and Time Cop, etc from the future, with a reprogrammed Terminator based on Commando, who is an alias of Dutch, with Dillon yelling Showtime! And Murtaugh continuously comparing about being too old for this shit.,
As they team up with predators to stop an Alien onslaught.
With Robocop showing up to sacrifice himself to save the day, face helmet blown apart,
Where it is revealed this Robocop is , Scott McCoy, the half brother of Dutch/Matrix.

With plenty of big haired 80s chicks.

My buddies and I were talking about this the other day.... you realize how many of the 80s epic movies (and some that bled into the 90s) where one of, if not the, the main character was named John?

John Connor
John Matrix
John Rambo
John McClane
John Spartan
John Kruger
Jack Slater (kinda)