PDA

View Full Version : Why Not? Non-Jacketed Frangible

masterdrago
06-22-17, 07:18
Finally got my suppressor (SRD556, 11mo 4 days). In the manual it states "DO NOT use non-jacketed frangible or pre-fragmented ammunition through any Sig suppressor". I tried looking up that type ammo and pretty much came up empty - found nothing non-jacketed! Did find some that looks like it has a jacket -- Winchester® USA 5.56 Frangible Rifle Ammunition : Cabela's

What is the drill on this? Why would using this with a suppressor be a bad idea? I do not want to use the wrong ammo. Everything in my ammo box has some sort of jacket. From 40 grain to 77 grain.

P516 10"

MegademiC
06-22-17, 07:45
My guess would be that any stray fragments or bullet failures would (could)destroy/damage the silencer, and it's a good way for them to save themselves the bs of trying to explain that a destroyed silencer is the result of a bullet failure, not silencer failure.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this.

MistWolf
06-22-17, 07:57
Frangible ammo has been known to occasionally come apart when passing through suppressors with close tolerance baffles or muzzle devices rough close tolerance baffles, such as the Battlecomp

markm
06-22-17, 14:14
Non jacket frang shouldn't be fired in any rifle regardless of suppression. It's been reported to damage Barrels and blow up guns.

nate89
06-22-17, 15:48
I have also experienced frang ammo breaking up through a tight comp, so going through baffles (especially the high number of baffles in the sig rifle cans) would not be the best idea.

tom12.7
06-22-17, 18:36
I've seen some bad results from this after the fact. I believe someone said that the can looked like it was attacked by a drunk with a cordless drill at the time.