PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Armalite products?

elephant
06-22-17, 13:33
I usually don't hear much about Armalite nothing good nor bad. My LGS which stocks Noveske, Daniel Defense, Desert Tech, SCAR's, KAC, LWRC, HK, Barrett, Vltor, Colt and a few others has a few Armalite M-15's and they said that even thought the price point was around $1300-$1500, they were some of the best well made guns and that they sold a lot to 3 gun competitors. My LGS said that Armalites doesn't really have a good marketing program or a great website which might be the reason people overlook them. Just curious if anyone of you have had any experience with Armalite products. I'm actually looking to get a M-15 16" Tactical upper which he has on sale for $849. Thank you in advance.

Arik
06-22-17, 13:37
Edited, wrong info!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JC5188
06-22-17, 13:45
They went out of business about a year ago, maybe a little less.

Product was ok 20 years ago. Has been getting worse ever since

Out of business? Someone should let them know then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
06-22-17, 13:45
Pass. With that price point, there are lot of better options.

C4

sinister
06-22-17, 13:52
They make a decent product, both 5.56 and 7.62.

When Mark Westrom owned the company he also drove the marketing and technical documentation. A former member of the Army Reserve Shooting Team and a great sponsor of National Match and military combat shooting competition he was very passionate.

Since he sold the company to SAC and retired they've let the brand founder.

Arik
06-22-17, 13:57
Out of business? Someone should let them know then

Then who just went out of business? I apologise if I got the wrong company

Never mind I'm thinking of Olympic!

Previous post edited

WillBrink
06-22-17, 14:00
They make a decent product, both 5.56 and 7.62.

When Mark Westrom owned the company he also drove the marketing and technical documentation. A former member of the Army Reserve Shooting Team and a great sponsor of National Match and military combat shooting competition he was very passionate.

Since he sold the company to SAC and retired they've let the brand founder.

What happened to them? They and Colt were the AR company back in the day. Where did they lose their way? It seemed well before the sale to SAC no?

jstalford
06-22-17, 14:01

I think Wyndham.

For $1300-1500 you can get pretty much whatever you want. Colt/BCM/DD/build your own. Many proven options.

elephant
06-22-17, 14:21
For $1300-1500 you can get pretty much whatever you want. Colt/BCM/DD/build your own. Many proven options.

I was just interested in the upper for $849 which retails for $1,049 on Armalite and a few other websites.

JC5188
06-22-17, 14:46

Never mind I'm thinking of Olympic!

Previous post edited

Lol...I'll admit, I had to look to be sure

bulldozer3
06-22-17, 21:39
I was just interested in the upper for $849 which retails for $1,049 on Armalite and a few other websites.
Just the upper for 849? And it's a armalite... the store must be on crack. Run away from that place and buy either an upper or entire rifle from colt, bcm, scionics, or solgw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aetius
06-22-17, 22:40
I bought a Armalite upper 10 years ago for $500. It was ok. It had a railed gas block that was not pinned, just clamped with two Allen screws. The gas block was extremely large and heavy. The bcg was semi auto, can't remember if it was staked. It was pretty accurate but I wouldn't buy it again, especially given the other options available today.

blade_68
06-23-17, 00:59
I have a AR10B target, a mid barrel (5.56) from them and a bunch more parts over the years from them. I did have good customer service from them, no problems other than out of stock for certain things. But at that price no chance I'd buy, many other choices.

elephant
06-23-17, 02:30
Just the upper for 849? And it's a armalite... the store must be on crack. Run away from that place and buy either an upper or entire rifle from colt, bcm, scionics, or solgw.

I absolutely cannot buy a BCM or Scionics, too many people worship those companies. I don't mind spending the money, its a good upper from what I have read on Armalite, how much is a Noveske or KAC upper?

MegademiC
06-23-17, 05:02
Barrel steel, and more importantly, bolt specs are not listed.

What separates this from an m&p or any other commercial at for half the price?
Why does it cost more that a PSA?

mark5pt56
06-23-17, 05:26
I have what's left of a national match rifle, the upper. To bad they no longer make the NM guns, new owners are not interested. The gun is a sold performer, everything straight and clean. It was great with irons and when CMP changed the rules and allowed scopes, I changed to a flat top. The intent was to use that until I built a new upper, well I now just plan to upgrade the NM free float tube to a railed HG when able since the barrel is a hammer. I hear and may add one that their .308 line is a sold gun.

themonk
06-23-17, 05:54
I have one of their rails that I got off pay it forward (maybe from you elephant) and it has been excellent. Keymod, lightweight, and very tough. I have it on a 14.5 LMT that is my beat the sh*t out of it gun and it has been rock solid. I have been very impressed with the rail.

Arik
06-23-17, 06:50
I absolutely cannot buy a BCM or Scionics, too many people worship those companies. I don't mind spending the money, its a good upper from what I have read on Armalite, how much is a Noveske or KAC upper?
So you're going simply by how many people "worship" them? I kinda know the feeling but it's backwards logic. I used to be the same way! I'd never touch a Glock because so many people worshipped them. What does a Glock do that a Taurus at half the price can't? I'm not picking on Taurus, it's actually what I carried. An old PT145. When I finally did get a Glock, an old police trade, I realized why people preferred them. That was over a decade ago and I still carry that same Glock every day since.

I'd recommend skipping over the fact that people worship them and concentrate on why. If its proven and affordable buy it and forget the noise

jstalford
06-23-17, 06:54

Then have centurion build you a cmr upper.

Grand58742
06-23-17, 07:15

There is also a lot of Noveske and KAC worship going on 'round these parts as well. Sometimes a reputation for worship is earned. However, if you want to go with brands that don't get an automatic "panties got wet and dropped" appeal, I'd suggest Rainier Arms or LaRue.

But, buy what you want. You aren't looking for advice on Armalite, you're looking for someone to make you feel better about your mind being made up to buy it already.

Defaultmp3
06-23-17, 09:50
I absolutely cannot buy a BCM or Scionics, too many people worship those companies.So, you're not interested in quality products simply because they're well known in the community for... putting out quality products. Okay.

Hell, Sionics doesn't even have that big a following, they're still pretty much only well-known here on M4C, AFAIK, due to the Iraqgunz connection; Noveske and KAC have way more name recognition, as does probably Armalite.

its a good upper from what I have read on ArmaliteSo, what have you read?

bulldozer3
06-23-17, 10:34
OP should go to TOS for validation on his desire to purchase a subpar overpriced armalite. Done helping. Bcm and scionics are popular here cause they build a product correctly for a good price. Armalite does neither. If you don't want to buy one because of that, then go for it, but don't come here looking for validation that you made the right decision

misfit47
06-23-17, 11:10
Solgw!

elephant
06-23-17, 11:43
i' not looking for validation. I was just hoping someone could say, Yes they are good, or No they are bad without bringing up BCM. Someone mentioned Centurion, which isn't a bad idea, I have a Centurion upper on a USM4 lower. I bought an Armalite
and gave the upper away in the PIF a year ago and used the lower for my Xproducts can cannon, I have since modified my can cannon into a mortar which left me with a lower collecting dust. My LCS has a few options but the Armalite was the only one he would reduce price. I didn't want to spend more than $1000 and he only has a few 16"uppers. these are what my options are

Armalite M-15 TAC - new in box

Centurion CFH -used but in good condidtion- aac flash hider/no bcg or C/H

Seekins Mk116 - FDE

jstalford
06-23-17, 11:46
What's the price on the centurion?

misfit47
06-23-17, 12:18
Do you have to buy only from him?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hapworth
06-23-17, 12:27
i' not looking for validation. I was just hoping someone could say, Yes they are good, or No they are bad without bringing up BCM...And plenty did; the tilt was pass on Armalite. What's the problem?

elephant
06-23-17, 13:39
What's the price on the centurion?

it was right at or over $1000 but didn't have the rail panels and in my mind, wasn't complete.

Do you have to buy only from him?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

yes! absolutely! They stock everything, including $100k shotguns, $10k sniper rifles and every optic imaginable including thermals and NV and even over 500 pre 1985 class III weapons. They will actually let you play with a gun and put on different optics and accessories for you. They have 3 full time gun smiths and 2 full time 2A attorneys. Look up Rays Sporting Goods and Hardware, its a shit hole! but its where Chris Kyle bought his GA Precision rifle and where Colin Noir buys just about everything and the sales guys are extremely knowledgeable with a morbid sense of humor. And there is only a couple of relative gun stores in and around Dallas and I don't like dealing with them.

jstalford
06-23-17, 13:49
You can get a brand new one straight from Centurion for $945 with BCG and CH.

bulldozer3
06-23-17, 17:35
Those prices are atrocious

MegademiC
06-23-17, 20:14
i' not looking for validation. I was just hoping someone could say, Yes they are good, or No they are bad without bringing up BCM. Someone mentioned Centurion, which isn't a bad idea, I have a Centurion upper on a USM4 lower. I bought an Armalite
and gave the upper away in the PIF a year ago and used the lower for my Xproducts can cannon, I have since modified my can cannon into a mortar which left me with a lower collecting dust. My LCS has a few options but the Armalite was the only one he would reduce price. I didn't want to spend more than $1000 and he only has a few 16"uppers. these are what my options are

Armalite M-15 TAC - new in box

Centurion CFH -used but in good condidtion- aac flash hider/no bcg or C/H

Seekins Mk116 - FDE

Of those 3, I'd pick the centurion. I would not even consider the other 2 unless they were substantially less money and it was a range gun.

Value. That's why, same reason people buy bcm and sionics

Iraqgunz
06-24-17, 15:03
Sounds like your mind was made up before the post, or maybe it was slow day on M4C. I do find it funny, that you would complain about some so-called brand worship, and yet your decision to purchase from a specific store is partially based on the fact that Chris Kyle and Colion Noir purchase stuff there.

Obviously you have lots of money to burn, so I would definitely go ahead and purchase that 849.00 upper.

it was right at or over $1000 but didn't have the rail panels and in my mind, wasn't complete.

yes! absolutely! They stock everything, including $100k shotguns, $10k sniper rifles and every optic imaginable including thermals and NV and even over 500 pre 1985 class III weapons. They will actually let you play with a gun and put on different optics and accessories for you. They have 3 full time gun smiths and 2 full time 2A attorneys. Look up Rays Sporting Goods and Hardware, its a shit hole! but its where Chris Kyle bought his GA Precision rifle and where Colin Noir buys just about everything and the sales guys are extremely knowledgeable with a morbid sense of humor. And there is only a couple of relative gun stores in and around Dallas and I don't like dealing with them.

elephant
06-24-17, 20:47
Sounds like your mind was made up before the post, or maybe it was slow day on M4C. I do find it funny, that you would complain about some so-called brand worship, and yet your decision to purchase from a specific store is partially based on the fact that Chris Kyle and Colion Noir purchase stuff there.

Obviously you have lots of money to burn, so I would definitely go ahead and purchase that 849.00 upper.

my decision to buy from there has nothing to do with who shops there, I was just stating it is that kind of gun store. They treat me well, I have 2 suppressors in the pending stage and I haven't even paid for them yet. That's why I choose to do business with them. I honestly didn't know $849 for an upper was a lot, considering everything I have looked at online from Seekins, PWS, AAC, KAC, Noveske, Midwest etc was at or over $1000. I didn't ask if the armalite upper was a good deal, I asked if it was a good upper and everyone started suggesting other brands which wasn't needed, I know those other brands exist but wasn't relevant because they were not options.

scooter22
06-24-17, 21:50
I'm honestly not sure why you wouldn't buy a similarly equipped BCM or Sionics upper.

masakari
06-24-17, 21:52
So back on topic, ArmaLite is actually quite good quality, and their 2 stage triggers are excellent. They use average/good quality parts, and generally assemble their rifles properly. While there are most certainly "better" brands these days, there is nothing particularly wrong with ArmaLite, buy with confidence.

jstalford
06-24-17, 22:08
They may be fine, but for $850 that is nuts.

You can get a 6920 oem2 for $690, sell the lower and buy a rail and come out with a known quality Upper with good resale for $200 less. Or pick from any number of other quality companies.

If it were me, I would buy something else from the lgs if you want to support them and get an upper online with competitive pricing.

MegademiC
06-24-17, 22:12
my decision to buy from there has nothing to do with who shops there, I was just stating it is that kind of gun store. They treat me well, I have 2 suppressors in the pending stage and I haven't even paid for them yet. That's why I choose to do business with them. I honestly didn't know $849 for an upper was a lot, considering everything I have looked at online from Seekins, PWS, AAC, KAC, Noveske, Midwest etc was at or over $1000. I didn't ask if the armalite upper was a good deal, I asked if it was a good upper and everyone started suggesting other brands which wasn't needed, I know those other brands exist but wasn't relevant because they were not options.

1. Define "Good". Do you want specs which they don't provide or do you want a posters experience with a "sample of one"?
2. for reference my stag has been 100% reliable, but I would not consider it a "good" upper because it doesn't meet certain specs.
3. People suggest other guns because they provide a known quality in the same price range you're looking at, instead of an unknown.
4. Other brands were an option, you just declined that option by choice.

If you want specific answers, asks specific questions.

Edit - the fact you mentioned price in the OP INSINUATED that it was a factor, which is why you got responses about cost.

kwg020
06-25-17, 22:41
I have 2 Armalite uppers and an Armalite barrel on an Aero Precision upper and an Armalite National Match lower. I bought them when Mark Westrum owned the company. They are good solid uppers and the barrels are chrome lined. With that said, I think the Tactical upper you are looking at may be over priced. Recalling from memory the BCM's are similar in price and they have the reputation and evidence to back up the BCM claims of quality. Unfortunately for Armalite, they have fallen through the cracks and their reputation has taken a hit right or wrong. It's my understanding they have a new owner, again. This makes 3 owners in the last 4 years. If Armalite wants to get back in the saddle and bring back their former and new customers they are going to have to prove they can run with the big dogs at an affordable price. They have a huge hill to climb.
kwg