PDA

View Full Version : Best hunting 33 cal bullet and load ? 338 win mag

Pappabear
06-27-17, 12:12
I have a 338 win mag as my back up gun for hunting this winter. We have some 4350 and 4831 powder. I was running Accubonds in the 225 grainers. Played with some different loads but never really hit a home run. It has a kreiger barrel and feel finding a load should not be rocket science. It still has a wood stock but it's bedded and should be ok. Everything we did was moa plus.

That barrel should give me moa pretty easy.

Anywho, what you got guys!

PB

tylerw02
06-27-17, 14:17
Try some H4831SC. It may not give you as much speed, but it's like magic in rifles that won't shoot anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin
06-27-17, 17:28
The AccuBonds should shoot, always have from my guns.
Try different powder as suggested.
Rl 22 or 25 worth a shot.

markm
06-27-17, 20:15

I have a little RL22. I'll shit if their damned powder is the answer.

tylerw02
06-27-17, 21:47
No kidding. I hate that stuff but my .280AI loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazykarl
06-28-17, 18:27
Sierra game kings. Good bullets...

Pappabear
06-28-17, 18:35

Accubonds is what I feed my 300WM and its lights out 24/7. Love that gun, love that round. It's just puzzling us with 338WM.

gaijin
06-28-17, 19:39
If you haven't already done so, you might try this PB-

My experience has been- sometimes the barrel wants forend pressure, sometimes it wants to float, particularly with a wood stock.
My usual practice is to hog out and bed the action to just forward of the lug- maybe an inch into the barrel taper. I'll float the barrel all the way out from there, so I can slide a folded dollar bill from the bedding to the forend tip.
If a "known quantity" load doesn't shoot with this setup I fold a business card and slide it between the barrel and forend- so it exerts upward pressure.
If that works I'll pull the barreled action, make a "dam" out of clay, slather release agent (Johnson's Paste Wax) on end of barrel, fill the dam with Acraglass and snug down the action- NOT all the way.
After 24 hrs. pull it apart, clean out the clay, torque the action down and shoot it.

Krazykarl
06-28-17, 20:41
How are you adjusting your resizing dies? Just enough neck resize down to the shoulder junction? Or are you trying to squeeze all the way down to the belt?

Pappabear
06-29-17, 11:15
If you haven't already done so, you might try this PB-

My experience has been- sometimes the barrel wants forend pressure, sometimes it wants to float, particularly with a wood stock.
My usual practice is to hog out and bed the action to just forward of the lug- maybe an inch into the barrel taper. I'll float the barrel all the way out from there, so I can slide a folded dollar bill from the bedding to the forend tip.
If a "known quantity" load doesn't shoot with this setup I fold a business card and slide it between the barrel and forend- so it exerts upward pressure.
If that works I'll pull the barreled action, make a "dam" out of clay, slather release agent (Johnson's Paste Wax) on end of barrel, fill the dam with Acraglass and snug down the action- NOT all the way.
After 24 hrs. pull it apart, clean out the clay, torque the action down and shoot it.

I'm going to pay particular attention to the pressure I put on the gun next time out to shoot. I may later try some of these tactics. Or I might eat the bullet and buy a stock or chassis. I don't want to buy a stock if I can't get it to group first though.

Another option might be try some 250 grain bullets. I never tried those.

If I go into rebuild mode, I'm going to put a suppressor adapter on it and have a hunting gun with can. I have a 338LM can from Sig that I run on my 300 currently.

A lot of options, AFTER I confirm she is a shooter.

PB

masan
07-04-17, 08:59
PB,

Could you post a pic of your load dev targets?

Are you jumping the bullet or into the lands?

Josh

Pappabear
07-04-17, 11:42
The load is fits snug into the chamber. My gunsmith makes sure we are not jumping as it's a kreiger custom built barrel. Mark loads accordingly.

I'll post pics of target next time out.

PB