PDA

View Full Version : Beretta PX4 Storm

Slater
07-01-17, 11:01
From what I've seen, this particular handgun is kind of an "odd duck" with it's rotary-barrel design and somewhat chunky appearance. Not sure if was ever a big seller for Beretta, and the new APX seems to have put it further behind the popularity curve. I was at a gunstore yesterday and talking to the counter guy about Beretta handguns. His opinion (yeah, I know) was that if the APX turns out to be a hit, Beretta may discontinue the PX4. Think that's logical or just more gunstore hot air?

bear13
07-01-17, 12:28
From what I've seen, this particular handgun is kind of an "odd duck" with it's rotary-barrel design and somewhat chunky appearance. Not sure if was ever a big seller for Beretta, and the new APX seems to have put it further behind the popularity curve. I was at a gunstore yesterday and talking to the counter guy about Beretta handguns. His opinion (yeah, I know) was that if the APX turns out to be a hit, Beretta may discontinue the PX4. Think that's logical or just more gunstore hot air?

Sounds like gun store bullshit. I have heard that Beretta is going to drop a revised px4 actually. I have a px4cc and it is a badass little gun.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170701/31ec8cff28ab240f8b69e41a1415a65f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
07-01-17, 20:58
Early PX4's had some issues with the rotary barrel system. Beretta never really acknowledged the issues publically but they seem to have made inline changes which have addressed them.

The PX4 has been a big seller for Beretta in foreign Police sales. The have large contacts for PX4s equipimg the national police in South Africa, (40k pistols) and Peru (30k pistols). Argentina will be replacing their military Browning Hi powers with a mix of Italian built and local license built PX4's. Biggest user in North America is Canada's Border Services agency.

Ernest Langdon has been running PX4's to high round counts (20 to 50k plus) in the past couple years.

The stock PX 4 has some issues. The grip is slick, requiring stippling or skate tape. The standard safety and ambi slide release suck. Beretta sells a single side release and low profile "G" decock only replacement levers. The also have 92 style levers for those who want "F" configuration. Like the 92's replacing the standard hammer spring with a "D" spring is recommrnded as a trigger pull upgrade if you are shooting mostly U.S. Commercial ammo.

The Px4CC has all these upgrades and more. It is like a whole different gun vs stock.

Trijicon makes HD sights for both the full size and compact PX4.

ramairthree
07-01-17, 21:15
There may be a niche for a slick as teflon gripped polymer frame gun that is hammer fired, uses a rotary barrel system negating its potential as a true modern handgun weapons system platform, made its debut on the LE market in a full sized version with reliability issues, came out as a compact version with reliability issues, came out as a subcompact version that is not even the same pistol/operating system, was neglected by its parent company for a decade, has briefly found some minor edge in one division of a semi popular shooting sport that has changed the rules and puts it again on the back burner,

But I don't really know what that niche is.

Current versions are reliable and reasonably accurate.
It has relatively less perceived recoil than similarly sized /weight guns.

But, I'm not sure is Blackhawk still makes a Serpa for it,
So I would say pass.

Slater
07-01-17, 22:16
Hell, Hollywood seems to like it: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Beretta_Px4_Storm

I think a lot of folks remember it's early reliability issues and still consider it unreliable and inaccurate.

call_me_ski
07-03-17, 11:30
There may be a niche for a slick as teflon gripped polymer frame gun that is hammer fired, uses a rotary barrel system negating its potential as a true modern handgun weapons system platform, made its debut on the LE market in a full sized version with reliability issues, came out as a compact version with reliability issues, came out as a subcompact version that is not even the same pistol/operating system, was neglected by its parent company for a decade, has briefly found some minor edge in one division of a semi popular shooting sport that has changed the rules and puts it again on the back burner,

But I don't really know what that niche is.

Current versions are reliable and reasonably accurate.
It has relatively less perceived recoil than similarly sized /weight guns.

But, I'm not sure is Blackhawk still makes a Serpa for it,
So I would say pass.http://cdn3.meme.am/cache/instances/folder841/500x/62773841/the-big-lebowski-yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg

In all seriousness, PX4 does have a difficult time finding a place for itself. Recently Ernest Langdon has done some interesting things with the platform and the compact carry is one of the best thought out, out of the box carry pistols on the market. His test of the gun seems to indicate that his sample size of one is no less durable than other polymer framed pistols on the market. There is a really good read on P-F about his testing of the gun as it was unfolding, how he eventually spec'd the PX4 CC and why. His tester went 52K rounds before being retired in good working order.

The compact model is smaller than a Glock 19 if the stealth controls are installed, holds 15+1 rounds and shoots very flat and accurately. The trigger is also outstanding and the ergonomics are great save for a grip that is too slick. A talon grip solves that handily for 18 dollars.

As for the rotating barrel, you will likely have trouble with suppressors. Supposedly, there is a piston design that will make it work but there just simply isn't enough of a market to make it worth it for anyone to produce. If that is a concern, than the PX4 will be far more trouble than it is worth.

The PX4's biggest sin was being DA/SA in a time when Shooters were running away from the format. The compact started shipping in 2011 long after the Church of Glock and its Prophet Gaston had spread the Gospel of Perfection and amassed millions of fanatic followers. Combine that with Beretta's marketing department and the PX4's lack of popularity is the result. But what had rendered the pistol dead on arrival may in fact be its salvation. It seems the niche it has carved out for itself is it is a good option for those wanting a Glock 19 sized gun with a DA/SA trigger while still having 15 rounds in the magazine. There is very little on the market that checks all of those boxes to compete with it. Despite a lack of competition, the PX4 does stand on its own merit. If you are in the market for a DA/SA carry gun, give the PX4 a look. If you are not married to a DA/SA trigger system, drive on and look elsewhere.

The PX4 has enjoyed some success on the international market, including being awarded a contract to be the Argentine service pistol within the last year.

Slater
07-03-17, 11:44
The only other in-production rotary-barrel handgun that comes to mind is the Grand Power K100/Q100 family. And they have their own (smallish) fan base.

DirectTo
07-03-17, 13:29
My dad's had a compact 40 for years...I enjoy shooting the thing - it's got a pretty good trigger and a nice recoil impulse. However, the grip texture is atrocious and because of that it's pretty much unshootable outdoors during the summer in Texas, requiring constant grip adjustment on the range.

I've considered picking one up just to play with (especially since the decock-only conversion is so simple), but other than the rotating barrel it doesn't do anything particularly interesting I guess.

I will say it feels like a quality handgun when you hold it and shoot it. If they'd go all Glock RTF on it I'd probably buy one for kicks.

Ron3
10-28-17, 08:39
I got a full size one recently and really like it. It seems like a great successor to the 92.

I wanted to replace my G19 with a da/sa pistol (for large-pistol carry, house pistol, and competition) this seems to be it. More the compact model of course. Which I just may get. But I'm going to carry this full size and see how it goes.

I shot it extremely well from the word go. Recoil is much like a 92 but with a little interesting ratcheting action added. (A hint of what say, an AK action feels like)

The trigger felt fine, but I installed Beretta's D hammer spring anyway and it noticeably lighted both pulls.

I didn't want the safety so with 20m of my time I removed the proper spring and pin. Done. 20 minute G conversion for free.

I looove the grip. Even more after actually firing the first 200 rnds from the gun. It's grippy front and back and slick on the sides. I've shot it while sweating and had no trouble. But if I do I'll install the rubberized adhesives. It didnt burn my fingers like the APX did. Only the slide gets hot.

The slide lock/release works great. Though a good rap while inserting a fresh mag let's the slide go home. (My g19 is the same way and I consider it a feature)

The gun has worked perfectly even with russian steel case. I was fortunate to find new 17 rnd beretta mags for $20 each so they can be found at an affordable price.

A glock has been the only pistol my wife can work the action on with no trouble. She had no trouble with the px4 either, but it was slightly harder. (This was before I ever fired it, though)

Now I'm just waiting on a holster.

ralph
10-28-17, 09:42
I bought one of the PX 4 CC's a couple weeks ago.. so far it's been fantastic..these are highly underrated pistols. Ernest Langdon really did his homework here, Basically, all one needs to do is run some rounds through it and make sure it works with your carry loads, and buy a holster for it, that's it..It's pretty much good to go. As far as DA/SA being a sin, that's hardly the truth..since the PX4 used mod.92 hammer springs, one can easily install a lighter hammer spring from Wilson Combat for about $5-6, The DA trigger pull on mine is probably in the 8-9# range since I installed a 12# hammer spring from W.C. I'm starting to prefer DA/SA/LEM trigger over a striker, as they are safer to carry. One thing DA/SA triggers teach you, is trigger control, If you can use a DA/SA trigger well, you'll see a improvement with a striker trigger as well.. These are solid, well made pistols, the recoil spring for example, is rated for 20,000 rnds, that's HK level service life right there.I'd tell anyone if your local range has one to rent, rent one out if you get a chance, you might be suprised..

Spiffums
10-28-17, 10:29
A couple of years ago they had some defensive pistol half hour tv shows cramped into a 3 or 4 hour block on Saturday morning, like the fishing/hunting/car shows. The main sponsor for the whole shebang was the PX4 Storm. There was some pretty good shows in there and it was hosted by Major Dad.

m4brian
10-28-17, 11:06
There are some GREAT DA/DA guns out there now - and cheap. SP 2022, PX4, and CZ P07. I am beginning to regret not picking one of these up. I can get LE price from QT, but they are cheaper on-line. They ALL seem to come OTB with very good triggers - SMOOTH DA, and crisp SA. Better than CZ, and close to the SP. I am also thinking the G decocker is about the best - slide mounting is fine - especially because I'd rather decock with my support hand. Their slide releases can easily be reached and they have a full line of accessories.

Ron3
10-28-17, 15:03
Yes, I have a medium hand and somewhat short thumbs but can decock the gun easily.