PDA

View Full Version : 'I thought it was empty'

WillBrink
07-01-17, 11:56
Hate stories like this. It's not common thankfully, but 100% avoidible, which is what makes it so tragic. The basic rules are not complicated, very easy to remember, and one can (but never should) break several of them, and will not harm anyone. He, like some, ignored every single one of them to a terrible conclusion. Besides killing his kid and ruining his own life, he makes all gun owners look bad by fitting the stereotype of anti gun types giving them ammo, no pun intended. In the larger picture, this harms all gun owners. RIP kid.

'I thought it was empty': Father says he fatally shot daughter, 9, while teaching sons gun safety

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/01/thought-it-was-empty-father-says-fatally-shot-daughter-9-while-teaching-sons-gun-safety.html

GH41
07-01-17, 12:59
So sad. We had a women down here back over and kill her toddler in the family's driveway. I wonder what percentage of parents that accidentally kill their own child eventually commit suicide.

wildcard600
07-01-17, 14:39
Linked article's headline is completely wrong. What that dickbag did was not "teaching gun safety". Headline should read, "Father murders daughter after threatening sons with firearm".

Spiffums
07-01-17, 17:10
So sad. We had a women down here back over and kill her toddler in the family's driveway. I wonder what percentage of parents that accidentally kill their own child eventually commit suicide.

I know it's wrong and where I'd end up if I did......but I couldn't live with myself. Hell if you found my kids burned to death in a house then you'd find me dead there trying to get them out.

tgizzard
07-01-17, 17:10
Dear God I read this article yesterday during my lunch break. What .. in .. the .. hell .. is wrong with people?! Basically, that dad wanted to look "bad ass" to his kids and the end result is, he shot and killed his daughter by accident.

Scrubber3
07-01-17, 17:32
Sad on so many levels. I hope he gets 1st degree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MegademiC
07-01-17, 20:46
Linked article's headline is completely wrong. What that dickbag did was not "teaching gun safety". Headline should read, "Father murders daughter after threatening sons with firearm".

This. Guy was a grade A douche all around. Broke all 4 rules. He pointed a gun at his daughter and pulled the trigger... he deserves every bit of anguish he feels. Was he drunk? Like completely shitfaced???

SteyrAUG
07-01-17, 22:05
Completely preventable tragedy.

There are only FOUR rules to master.

Moose-Knuckle
07-02-17, 03:54
Yeah this one really sucks and serves to fuel the anti's argument "see they are so dangerous even skilled gun owners have accidents". I posted about it in the other YouTube Desert Eagle stunt thread.

I posted this one back when it happened but it was right before Sandy Hook so it didn't much attention in the media.

Boy, 7, shot to death outside Pa. gun store

MERCER, Pa. — A man's handgun went off while he was holding it as he got into his truck in the parking lot of a western Pennsylvania gun store Saturday, and the shot killed his 7-year-old son, authorities said.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?118353-Boy-7-shot-to-death-outside-Pa-gun-store

So much fail to go around.

RetroRevolver77
07-03-17, 07:19
I'll admit, I've had one ND about twenty years ago. I was cleaning a pistol not paying attention. Thankfully no one was hurt and it was cheap lesson learned. I check, triple check, and quadruple check to make sure a firearm isn't loaded now.

Pi3
07-03-17, 15:55
AWIB Strikes again.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ap-penis-shot-20170702-story.html

MegademiC
07-04-17, 00:40
AWIB Strikes again.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ap-penis-shot-20170702-story.html

Sounds like Mexican carry

T2C
07-04-17, 07:50
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/01...un-safety.html

Dipshit kills daughter. End of summary.

Pi3
07-04-17, 08:01
Sounds like Mexican carry

I was wrong. He shot himself in the penis when he sat down on a gun in the driver's seat in his car.

FishTaco
07-15-17, 15:06
God forbid we stop teaching people that to carry without one in the pipe is too risky, or at least suggest that there are safety tradeoffs to consider with the maximalist approach.

MegademiC
07-16-17, 08:21
God forbid we stop teaching people that to carry without one in the pipe is too risky, or at least suggest that there are safety tradeoffs to consider with the maximalist approach.

All it takes is a holster. He lost his junk for $35. Can't buy it back for that price.

WillBrink
07-16-17, 10:22
I was wrong. He shot himself in the penis when he sat down on a gun in the driver's seat in his car.

And something does not add up as guns don't go boom by just sitting on them as a rule.

Averageman
07-16-17, 11:42
When I first showed and interest in firearms my Dad took me pheasant hunting. In order to make his point he put a pumpkin on a fence post and shot it with a 12 gauge. That left a lasting impression on me and I've remained vigilant ever since.

One of my first formal duties as a young Sergeant was range safety. I was clearing weapons that guys were carrying from the zero to the qualifications range. I had a sorry SOB decide he didn't need to be cleared and when I asked him what he was doing he said he cleared his weapon on the zero range.
He pulled the trigger to show me just how clear his weapon was.....
Yeah, that didn't work out too well.
Same thing on a Tank range. The Company XO who I was gunning for was too cool to have his Ma Duce cleared by safety. We go parked and the Driver got out and stood on the front slope and the XO leaned on the butterflies as he climbed out his hatch. Boom, right over the Drivers shoulder.
People have a knack for getting complacent.

JusticeM4
07-18-17, 11:03
"An autopsy showed the girl was shot in the forehead at close range."

So many tragic mistakes made in this case. Basically broke all of the safety rules.

Doc Safari
07-18-17, 11:18
Same thing on a Tank range. The Company XO who I was gunning for was too cool to have his Ma Duce cleared by safety. We go parked and the Driver got out and stood on the front slope and the XO leaned on the butterflies as he climbed out his hatch. Boom, right over the Drivers shoulder.
People have a knack for getting complacent.

Nice. Having an ND with a tank is pretty hard to top, although someone out there has probably done so with the cannon and not just the MG.

One thing I want to point out: when you go to clear a weapon to make sure it's unloaded--do take the magazine out first.

Yup. That was me. New hole in the floor of a mobile home and luckily it was always pointed in a safe direction so no one got hurt.

WickedWillis
07-18-17, 12:00
Nice. Having an ND with a tank is pretty hard to top, although someone out there has probably done so with the cannon and not just the MG.

One thing I want to point out: when you go to clear a weapon to make sure it's unloaded--do take the magazine out first.

Yup. That was me. New hole in the floor of a mobile home and luckily it was always pointed in a safe direction so no one got hurt.

I had an ND in my home right after I first bought it. Most embarrassing thing to ever happen to me firearm related. I can talk about it now because I use it as a learning experience. It was completely my fault, grabbed my build from the safe, aimed down sights for no other reason then to look down them, and ended up shooting through my entire house. Complete idiot mistake. No one was hurt, but it went through my bedroom door, bedroom wall, kitchen wall, into my entertainment room, into my new tv. The TV took the worst of it, but also stopped the bullet from going outside.

Let the shit start...

WickedWillis
07-18-17, 12:00
DOUBLE TAP

Scrubber3
07-18-17, 14:38
Everybody makes mistakes. Luckily no one got hurt. You knew better than to point it at someone.