PDA

View Full Version : New polymer standard?

Bodhi
07-02-17, 17:47
There are a ton of options now for under $500 for polymer striker fires. There are also a ton of rebates this summer making the deals even sweeter for some of them.

Has anyone here been so surprised with any of the recently released handguns that it's dethroned your old favorites?

I'm thinking of getting the new m&p. Current rebate of $75 depending on what state you live in. Ppq rebate is $100 though.

marh415
07-02-17, 17:58
Although I may catch heat for it here, I traded my Glock 19 Gen 4 for the Sig P320RX compact. I also really like the M&P 2.0, the ergonomics of both those pistols are more appealing to me. What really pushed me to that decision was a recent corrective surgery on my left arm/wrist. It made the grip angle on the Glock uncomfortable for me, which really pains me to say, because I always liked Glocks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

El_Chingon
07-02-17, 19:46
Although I may catch heat for it here, I traded my Glock 19 Gen 4 for the Sig P320RX compact. I also really like the M&P 2.0, the ergonomics of both those pistols are more appealing to me. What really pushed me to that decision was a recent corrective surgery on my left arm/wrist. It made the grip angle on the Glock uncomfortable for me, which really pains me to say, because I always liked Glocks.

i am in California, so our selection on handguns is getting smaller per year. IMO, Glocks are the only best thing on the California's roster that is worth getting. California SIG's are a distant second if you like to have a load chamber indicator, and mag disconnect on yo handguns. If i was in a free state, i would dump all my clocks for a SIG p320, VP9's, FN509 and the new CZp10. so you made a good choice....

MStarmer
07-02-17, 20:23
Almost 2 years ago I jumped on the 320 bandwagon and ended up with three of them, plus two conversion kits. 2 out of 3 have been good, 1 has been back to Sig and also a trip to Bruce Gray to try and get it running. I also ended up with a full size slide that kind of looked like a banana (which also was replaced). After putting 5K thru one and carrying it for almost a year I found I just like Glocks better. The Sig is a good gun but they've had some teething issues, especially when it comes to extraction issues. Lots of flexibility with the platform, great accuracy and great triggers. But I still keep going back to Glock, only difference is this time around I'm going 9mm instead of .40 cal.

Every gun that comes out is the new "Glock Killer". VP9/PPQ/320 etc... They all have pluses and minuses, just depends on the end user. I had an XDm, didn't like the fact that I couldn't rack the slide unless the grip safety was depressed. Didn't like that I couldn't even disassemble the slide without punching a roll pin, let alone any detail stripping of the frame. Had a PPQ, again a little complex and parts are hard to come by. Couldn't even find magazine base plates. Had M&P's, triggers mush and wouldn't group worth crap. The list goes on, at least for me. I've concluded that I'm destined to be a Glock guy and I don't need to spend copious amounts of money on different guns, now I just spend copious amounts of money sending them off to ATEi and JagerWerks.

RHINOWSO
07-02-17, 20:56
We live in a golden age of firearms - aside from full auto availability, here has never been more options for handguns, rifles, shotguns, optic, suppressors, etc.

Assess your needs and pick a handgun that works for you. I still see the G19 and AR15 as the standards to compare all others.

Wake27
07-02-17, 21:07

I recently started paying more attention to the 320 and am wondering why I haven't seen more of this to be honest. I've held a couple and they feel great in the hands, so much better than Glock. With all of the things it has going for it, to include the chassis, the 320 seems like it should be the new standard. There was a lot of hype around the FN and CZ but neither of those can swap the frame like the Sig. Its been out for a few years and Sig appears to be very responsive in addressing the seemingly few minor issues, much more so than Glock ever has. Hopefully all of the contracts it keeps winning will make it a better product and not cause a loss in QC. I really want to get one ASAP. So many people dump tons of money on modifying a Glock and it just seems there are better options out there if they look.

czgunner
07-02-17, 21:18
Hk is giving you 4 mags now on rebate.

Alex V
07-02-17, 21:53

^ This.

Yup. Took a pistol class yesterday and used my M&P9 ProCORE w/RMR and APEX trigger kit in the first half and VP9 with Lobos trigger after lunch.

I was thoroughly impressed with the VP9. I can't wait for HK to bring the Optics ready VP9 to the states. Really like the VP9 now.

Mjolnir
07-02-17, 22:02
The standard by which all are compared is the Glock 19 by those in the know.

That said, I have purchased a CZ P10C and I think it's a better pistol in many respects to the Glock and is better in some areas than the vaunted VP9 (which I freaking love).

The P10 is a tack driver that shoots extremely flat.

The ergos work for me but it's different, again, like the VP9 is to the 1911: a lot of geometries work; find one or more that do.

The stippling is overly aggressive on the mainspring housing. You can lightly sand it (as I did) to make it "yours".

The trigger... 🤤

The pistol frame is narrower than the Glock & VP9 so it will be more concealable in some carry packages for some body types.

It's easily as accurate as the VP9 and I run drills just as well (with the abysmal sights it comes with; install decent sights and I think I'm better with it in all respects).

I like the feel of the M&P2.0

I don't really like the trigger feel on the P320 or the FN 509.

I adore the overall dimensions of the Glock Model 19. The muzzle and stock length are "perfect" for a carry pistol. I wish both the VP9 & P10C shared those dimensions. The Glock seems to just "pop" out of whatever holster it's in. It's a reassuring feeling. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrlandoJones
07-02-17, 22:18
There are a ton of options now for under $500 for polymer striker fires. There are also a ton of rebates this summer making the deals even sweeter for some of them.

Has anyone here been so surprised with any of the recently released handguns that it's dethroned your old favorites?

I'm thinking of getting the new m&p. Current rebate of $75 depending on what state you live in. Ppq rebate is $100 though.

First, it is wonderful that we have so many options here in the good old USA. Can we all agree at least on that?

Second, every major brand will provide a reliable handgun to you.

Third, through trial and error, find the platform YOU are able to shoot the best. Ignore the Internet. Try them all out by shooting the living daylights out of them Don't like it? Throw it up on Gunbroker. Sell it and move on.

I finally settled on the HK USP line of handguns.

Enjoy.

God bless America, land that I love.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e3/2f/4a/e32f4a3dc210ffda837d162fab18b304.jpg

Bodhi
07-02-17, 22:38
The standard by which all are compared is the Glock 19 by those in the know.

That said, I have purchased a CZ P10C and I think it's a better pistol in many respects to the Glock and is better in some areas than the vaunted VP9 (which I freaking love).

The P10 is a tack driver that shoots extremely flat.

The ergos work for me but it's different, again, like the VP9 is to the 1911: a lot of geometries work; find one or more that do.

The stippling is overly aggressive on the mainspring housing. You can lightly sand it (as I did) to make it "yours".

The trigger... ��

The pistol frame is narrower than the Glock & VP9 so it will be more concealable in some carry packages for some body types.

It's easily as accurate as the VP9 and I run drills just as well (with the abysmal sights it comes with; install decent sights and I think I'm better with it in all respects).

I like the feel of the M&P2.0

I don't really like the trigger feel on the P320 or the FN 509.

I adore the overall dimensions of the Glock Model 19. The muzzle and stock length are "perfect" for a carry pistol. I wish both the VP9 & P10C shared those dimensions. The Glock seems to just "pop" out of whatever holster it's in. It's a reassuring feeling. [emoji41]

I have the opportunity to get the m&P 2.0 for $355 after rebate or a vp9 for $450 with 4 extra mags. What do you think

KCBRUIN
07-02-17, 22:48
I would guess the new standard will be set when the "M"/Gen 5 Glocks are released in the fall. Or I guess the standard stays the same.

czgunner
07-02-17, 22:54
I would guess the new standard will be set when the "M"/Gen 5 Glocks are released in the fall. Or I guess the standard stays the same.

I hope they figure out that people want a configurable grip.

Mjolnir
07-02-17, 22:54
I have the opportunity to get the m&P 2.0 for $355 after rebate or a vp9 for $450 with 4 extra mags. What do you think

I like the VP9. I find it to be the easiest to shoot pistol on the market now. I've only held the M&P2.0

I think the M&P is the easier one to maintain - less complex.

I would read up on the M&P first if I were you. There were accuracy complaints with the v1.0, you want to make sure this has been corrected.

I would choose the HK as it fits me (though mine wears granulated Talon Grips the M&P2.0 would be fine out the box.

I'd have NO issues with a FDE M&P2.0. None at all.

Your call here.

hotrodder636
07-02-17, 23:12
The HK deal will give you a great pistol and 6 magazines (7 if you are talking the LE version--nightsights) for a great price.

Biggy
07-03-17, 00:21
So far *for me* it is the best striker fired pistol I have ever owned. Size wise *for me* (I really do like it better than my G19). Accuracy wise (its equal to the VP9,Sig P320 and the PPQ) I used to own . With it's low bore axis, its flatter shooting (very little muzzle flip) than most of the other striker pistols that I used to own, it is overbuilt in some of the critical areas, for long term durability (we will have to give father time some more time to prove that one though. *For me*, its ergos (grip feel,grip angle, trigger characteristics , the mag release, slide release, molded in grip treatment, cocking serrations, are pretty close to ideal . So far it has fed and ejected everything I have fed through it (different weights of FMJ ball and JHP's). It strips down easy and its design appears pretty simple and modular with fewer parts than some others. The aluminum sights on it suck though, but I knew that when I bought it. Oh yeah, and mine has no brass to the face. Some gun shops are now selling these for *$450.* Was it over hyped some, probably, but for *me* once it was broken in, it really does come *closer* to being the perfect striker fired pistol. Oh, and if its trigger safety tab bothers anyone, a little emery cloth on its edges should take care of that in less than 5 minutes. And last, IMHO, CZ saying it will fit in G19 holsters was a stretch, and is hit or miss, and probably more miss in *how good* the fit will be. Also the trigger on my P-10C coninues to get better with use, and is now probably within 1/2 to 3/4 lb of my prefered break weight for a carry pistol when the adrenaline is pumping. While I still like my Gen 4 G19 , I like my P-10C more.

Also, I am curious if anyone has slammed a mag reload and gotten the dead trigger on their VP9, I have not personally heard of any. https://youtu.be/GAiepTZ66Hs

mcnabb100
07-03-17, 00:31

Damn that's a sweet deal. I thought I did good on my vp9 LE, but 7 mags is freaking awesome.

If you've been lusting after a vp9 or p30, now is the time.

4 mags from brownells would run you 180 bucks, and that's with a package deal 10$ off of a 3 pack!

mkmckinley
07-03-17, 07:55
I keep coming back to the G19 for a few reasons. The first is the form factor. The P320 just seems to have so much extra meat and bulk on it. The G19 is just so compact. They also seem to pack just a little more barrel into that slide than competitors. Second is the G19 has better aftermarket support. I'm not talking about barrels and triggers but more like cheap Magpul mags, SIRT guns, the Gadget, .22 slides etc. I can hoard mags for my Glocks but that's not cost effective with other guns. Considering that, the Glock small frame guns truly are the industry standard for now and I think they'll continue to be if they keep updating the design. Third is the Glock has better safeties built in than other guns. I'm not overly obsessed with the issue but my P320 was essentially just a single action with no trigger safety or manual safety. At least the Glock is only partially cocked at rest and the Glock trigger safety is the best design IMO. Finally, I can work on a Glock pretty easily if I have to and spare parts are cheap and available enough to keep around. No single issue is the biggest deal in the world but they add up.

That said, out of all the current contenders I think the PPQ is actually the one to beat. They strick a good balance between rugged and refined. The design of the internals/mechanism is actually really simple and rugged. The triggers are amazing and they're really well fit and accurate. They tend to do well in various torture and endurance tests as well as competition.

I hven't tried the FN 509 or CZ P-10 but they're on the list, it's great to have options.

Slater
07-03-17, 08:46
Seems like everyone from HK to Bushmaster is giving rebates or some sort of deal. Life is good this summer.

Kain
07-03-17, 12:05
Seems like everyone from HK to Bushmaster is giving rebates or some sort of deal. Life is good this summer.

Life is good unless you are a tight budget at the moment. At which case you are sad at all the deals you can't add to your inventory.

On the flip side, I let the M&P shield deal pass due to just not thinking it was going to be something that I would carry over my 19. Now, the H&k deal.... Ugh, may need to find the cash for one of them. on the plus side, I've got like $350 in cash back on my credit card that has been waiting to be used on a new toy, would make for a very cheap H&k.

marh415
07-03-17, 12:15
I wish Sig were running a special like that right now.

I honestly didn't even give the H&K any consideration. I thought they were up near the $1000 range. That VP9 is sweet, I may have to stop by the shop to see if they're in stock.

Bodhi
07-03-17, 15:40
I've narrowed it down to a ppq or a vp9. I've concluded the m&p is a good weapon, but it doesn't hold a candle to either of the above mentioned.

Vp9 LE with 7 mags for $560~
Or
Ppq with two mags for $380 after rebate

m4brian
07-03-17, 20:59
The Old Plastic is better. It's called the P99. Light. Accurate. Reliable. Paddles. Right.

ffhounddog
07-03-17, 21:17
Dang deployed and can get a new vp9 yet....

ffhounddog
07-03-17, 21:23
The Old Plastic is better. It's called the P99. Light. Accurate. Reliable. Paddles. Right.

I would trade all my HKs for 4 p99s and mags to last a lifetime. My p2000 is close with a Compact Match Hammer Spring and Nickel Plated" Match Flat Sear Spring.

CanineCombatives
07-03-17, 22:32
Few things to add, I've been balls deep in the P320 emergence since mid 2014, watched department after department test them and quantify shooter improvement at every skill and experience level over the glock platform, I still maintain as I did in 2015 that it's the first pistol in a quarter century that will break the stranglehold glock has had on the LE market since the mid 90's, honestly didnt expect it to happen as rapidly as it has.
It's a pretty damn good pistol as it is now but it could be better with just a few tweaks, first and most important is a more aggressive texturing to the frame that covers the entire grip, second, all three frame sizes of the conventional P320 should have the X frame across the board, or at least the ergonomics. Cant think of much else, and I'm reasonably certain we will see those things happen next year, for now I just hope the MHS contract doesnt throw a wrench into QC or development, time will tell.
Switching gears, I was as hyped up about the P-10C as everyone else even though I know it will never make a dent in the LE market so getting one for me would be just for my own enjoyment, things took a lot longer than usual but I finally got to run one for a few hours last week, long story short I'm not in love with it and it may be a while before I can be. The trigger on mine has an odd sticking point when I first engage it that I have to sort of pop loose before it starts moving, after that it has a longer takeup than any of the competitive striker designs out there, once at the wall I find it a little squishy but as everyone says it's light and sweet with a very nice short reset, also, the trigger is narrow in width, serrated and rounded in shape, all of which are negatives in my view, the mag release will need a lot more rounds to loosen up before I would seriously consider using it as a work gun, same goes for the slide release, although the slide release has excellent traction, accuracy is definitely up to snuff, which is to say as good as the VP9 and P320 although it's hard to quantify with the horrid stock sights. Conclusion, and let me preface by saying it's just one swingin dick's opinion, but I think it needs some refinement and not in the aftermarket, I think it needs to be CZ's baby, ergos are there, function and accuracy are there, just get the controls working properly and if you really want perfection personified give us a drop in, wide flat trigger with no serrations and at least 50% less takeup.
Ok I saved the this one for last because I think it's the most interesting and ironically most overlooked player in the duty striker game right now, and that is the APX, I'm not going to get all long winded on this one because I just got it and dont have nearly enough time behind it to climb up on my soapbox but I will say this, I like the ergos better than the P320, I like the controls better than the P320 even though the slide release is slick where your thumb hits it, I like the trigger better than the P320, accuracy will have to wait until I can devote some time and high dollar ammo to just that but it looks like that will be right on par from what I can tell so far. To me this is the sleeper in the industry right now, and also the dark horse. And dont forget beretta has the name, even more so than sig, so stay tuned and see if my hunch is correct, and if you've dismissed the APX cause you think it looks like ass or some other reason, give it a run, I'm betting you'll change your tune.

Biggy
07-03-17, 23:03
Few things to add, I've been balls deep in the P320 emergence since mid 2014, watched department after department test them and quantify shooter improvement at every skill and experience level over the glock platform, I still maintain as I did in 2015 that it's the first pistol in a quarter century that will break the stranglehold glock has had on the LE market since the mid 90's, honestly didnt expect it to happen as rapidly as it has.
It's a pretty damn good pistol as it is now but it could be better with just a few tweaks, first and most important is a more aggressive texturing to the frame that covers the entire grip, second, all three frame sizes of the conventional P320 should have the X frame across the board, or at least the ergonomics. Cant think of much else, and I'm reasonably certain we will see those things happen next year, for now I just hope the MHS contract doesnt throw a wrench into QC or development, time will tell.
Switching gears, I was as hyped up about the P-10C as everyone else even though I know it will never make a dent in the LE market so getting one for me would be just for my own enjoyment, things took a lot longer than usual but I finally got to run one for a few hours last week, long story short I'm not in love with it and it may be a while before I can be. The trigger on mine has an odd sticking point when I first engage it that I have to sort of pop loose before it starts moving, after that it has a longer takeup than any of the competitive striker designs out there, once at the wall I find it a little squishy but as everyone says it's light and sweet with a very nice short reset, also, the trigger is narrow in width, serrated and rounded in shape, all of which are negatives in my view, the mag release will need a lot more rounds to loosen up before I would seriously consider using it as a work gun, same goes for the slide release, although the slide release has excellent traction, accuracy is definitely up to snuff, which is to say as good as the VP9 and P320 although it's hard to quantify with the horrid stock sights. Conclusion, and let me preface by saying it's just one swingin dick's opinion, but I think it needs some refinement and not in the aftermarket, I think it needs to be CZ's baby, ergos are there, function and accuracy are there, just get the controls working properly and if you really want perfection personified give us a drop in, wide flat trigger with no serrations and at least 50% less takeup.
Ok I saved the this one for last because I think it's the most interesting and ironically most overlooked player in the duty striker game right now, and that is the APX, I'm not going to get all long winded on this one because I just got it and dont have nearly enough time behind it to climb up on my soapbox but I will say this, I like the ergos better than the P320, I like the controls better than the P320 even though the slide release is slick where your thumb hits it, I like the trigger better than the P320, accuracy will have to wait until I can devote some time and high dollar ammo to just that but it looks like that will be right on par from what I can tell so far. To me this is the sleeper in the industry right now, and also the dark horse. And dont forget beretta has the name, even more so than sig, so stay tuned and see if my hunch is correct, and if you've dismissed the APX cause you think it looks like ass or some other reason, give it a run, I'm betting you'll change your tune.

FYI, your P-10C's mag release and slide release *will be* /work just fine once the mag springs take a set. Leave them fully loaded for about two weeks and *you will* see a big improvement in manipulating them. Same with the trigger, mine was decent but nothing to write home about when new and out the box. Now it has smoothed up just fine and has no creep, and it is within 1/2 to 3/4 pound from being perfect * for me * , breakwise. I can't help you any on your trigger reset preference, for now it is what it is. Its reset is just fine for me. Also, *to short a reset* with too light of break *can be* bump fire city when the adrenaline is pumping. Also, check out your triggers safety lever, as it maybe rubbing some on where it goes through the frame if the trigger is not pulled straight back. A very small file and a *very little* filing will take care of that real fast, if it is needed.

Wake27
07-03-17, 23:07
I know this isn't a good reason, but I think the APX is ugly AF and have never been a fan of Beretta. I'd love to try the X Five grip, everyone I've seen discuss it has said that they wish it was standard, and the standard feels pretty good to me. Again though, it's so much easier and more logical to get some plastic surgery on the 320 than other guns without the chassis. And it needs far less than the Glock.

TactiCool1976
07-03-17, 23:42
i'd think the standard starts with Glock.. i had tried a few other handgun's before just taking the plunge and getting a G22 since i wanted a 40cal but the M&P 40c i had constantly failed to feed properly... which was not good... after the G22 i snagged up a G19, then a G21... right now my arsenal consists of a Glock 17, 19, 20, 21, 23 and 26.. and love them all !! i havent done anything with them yet as far as getting putting a new trigger in them or anything but that is in the near future..

As much as i would like to try the new Sig's i would hate to buy one and then end up not liking it.... i will say the Canik is a good place to start with polymer's, had one of the TP9v2's and really liked it, but at the time i hated there was no upgrades on trigger's or sights... but oh well....

SpecWired
07-04-17, 02:41
I think Glock is always a good place to start, and probably the best representative of a polymer gold standard.

Lots of quality pistols out there though. You're not likely to get a bad product as long as you stick to the big players.

Glock obviously benefits from the best support structure and mag availability, which is always a big factor to me.

Texaspoff
07-04-17, 06:47

I agree with you completely on your assessment of all of these weapons. I have been on board with the 320 as well since 2015 and it has never failed to step up when needed. I was pretty excited about the p-10 also, and it has the potential to be a real winner, but again in the LE game there needs to be a lot more than what the p-10 has going for it right now. I still think the P-10 is a great pistol personally, but I haven't warmed up to it like I thought I would.

I have been piddling with the APX also and it is really an all around solid platform. Beretta did their homework on it, but like yourself I haven't had enough trigger time with them to give a solid opinion. Compact sized pistol have always been my duty pistol of choice, G19, P320 size etc, I prefer a 4 inch or so barrel length. That is the only hitch in the APX with me, at least for now. I have some solid info there is a compact APX is on the horizon, although I do not have the specs on it. It may be akin to the PX4 compact, which is too small IMO for a duty platform.

What the APX is doing for me, is making me rethink my need for a smaller 4 inch barrel pistol. One thing I am not, is tied to, or loyal to a particular platform. If something out there fits my criteria for an on/off duty pistol, I will explore it. It doesn't hurt the APX chances that Safariland already has the 6360 ALS holster for it either. I will continue down the APX road for a while to see where it leads. it may end up being another back seat platform for me, or it may slide in to the spot currently occupied by my 320's, only time will tell. I can tell you if I was looking for a new platform right now, and it would be down to the 320 and the APX, and honestly I am not sure which one I would go home with.

TXPO

m4brian
07-04-17, 07:53
But none of the new plastic have paddles. They lag.

Slater
07-04-17, 08:13
Heck, don't forget the Remington RP-9 :D

.XL
07-04-17, 08:57
New Caracal...
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/181-round-pistol-new-caracal-enhanced-f-quick-sight-full-review/

mkmckinley
07-04-17, 19:00
I've narrowed it down to a ppq or a vp9. I've concluded the m&p is a good weapon, but it doesn't hold a candle to either of the above mentioned.

Vp9 LE with 7 mags for $560~
Or
Ppq with two mags for $380 after rebate

Where are these deals to be had?

marh415
07-04-17, 19:09
Manufacturer's site has all the info.

1986s4
07-05-17, 08:28
We live in a golden age of firearms - aside from full auto availability, here has never been more options for handguns, rifles, shotguns, optic, suppressors, etc.

Assess your needs and pick a handgun that works for you. I still see the G19 and AR15 as the standards to compare all others.

I don't have a Glock but I think you're right. Nice to have choices. Glocks don't work for me and I prefer hammer fired anyway so I tend toward other proven performers.

I just got back from England and attended a very public event. The "armed" police were carrying short barrel AR 15's, not MP5's or their troublesome bullpup.

Bodhi
07-05-17, 16:52
Just got back from fondling the M&P 2.0, VP9, and PPQ.

Man, I cannot decide.

The M&P had a big improvement on the trigger. I'd say it's on par with glock now - it'd be better if they could get rid of the hinged trigger for a flat face. The grip stippling is a nice touch, the magazine release was really nice, not sticky at all like you'd find in another budget handgun (XD). The trigger doesn't hold a candle to the VP9 or PPQ though.

The VP9 and the PPQ were DAMN close. I cannot decide. It's going to come down to which I can get for less.

The paddle release on the VP9 wasn't bad at all and the grip was nice, but the backstrap I tried was a Medium. I know if I get one, the Small will be the way to go.

The PPQ has an amazing trigger but those sights are dinky. The slide release worked pretty well, although i'm a slingshot guy most of the time. The magazine release on the M2 model is really nice. The hump on the backstrap is less intrusive on the hand.

m4brian
07-06-17, 10:45
10-8 has very good sights for the PPQ.

pinzgauer
07-06-17, 11:08
10-8 has very good sights for the PPQ.

$100 rebate on the ppq currently. Hard to beat for $410!

The grip comes with different backstraps, if needed, though I'm good with stock