PDA

View Full Version : I am seriously considering not renewing my NRA membership.

justin_247
07-02-17, 17:54
I am seriously considering not renewing my NRA membership.

Not only do they call me all the time, they even started calling me using another number after I began blocking their phone calls. Additionally, I receive endless junk mail from the NRA. How much of my donations are they spending on soliciting me to contribute more? How much money is spent on the junk they mail out for renewing your membership (it'd be better if they mailed you a free PMAG or something, if they MUST)?

Wayne LaPierre is paid over a million dollars a year, in addition to many millions distributed to his retirement fund... yet they always enclose a letter ostensibly signed by him begging us to donate more. Why doesn't he donate more? There are people in the military that are paid a tenth of what he's paid, yet are responsible for much, much more than he is.

The NRA-ILA consumes only a tenth of the NRA's total budget, yet this is the foundation of the organization.

I'm starting to think the NRA is just a self-licking ice cream cone.

Thoughts?

EDIT: And, yes, I know I can contact the NRA and tell them to quit soliciting me. I shouldn't have to do that. If I'm a dues paying member, I should be left alone. If I don't ever answer the phone, or always hang up on the caller, then that should be a sign to quit calling, as well. But guess what... many people, especially older folks who don't use the internet, have no idea how to stop the endless soliciting. They don't make it obvious... you have to look for the FAQ on the NRA website. It's unacceptable.

26 Inf
07-02-17, 18:19
I have to belong because our club's insurance is through them.

Someone told me that he heard they are considering selling/leasing the competition division. He heard it at the Crawfish Cup NRA Action Pistol Regional Championship so there may be something to it, IDK.

The magazines are becoming even more of a disappointment - more and more pages are taken up by 'we protected you, but need more money to continue the fight' fluff. I recently signed on for Shooting Illustrated in addition to the American Rifleman, it was a mistake, same pages of 'we protected you, but need more money to continue the fight' fluff as are in the Rifleman, with very little else of merit.

I recently picked up NRA civilian certifications in pistol, rifle, shotgun, and RSO. IMO those programs are somewhat lacking.

To say I'm disappointed in the organization would be an accurate assessment.

Sam
07-02-17, 20:18
A couple friends of mine are life members and they said the calls and mailings dropped off to almost zero.

seb5
07-02-17, 20:28
I go for the 5 year membership and NEVER get called. It was nice after the hassle described above.

Kain
07-02-17, 20:32
I don't know how much if at all I get phone calls from them for. Honest. I don't know. If I don't know the number it goes to VM and if you don't leave a message then I assume it wasn't important. And I have only reupped yearly.

I do get a fair amount of junk mail from them, but honestly, they are no worse than my bank, possibly less so. And as much as I will rag on American Rifleman magazine, it is a lot better than many of the other rags out there, of which I've pretty much canceled all after getting tired of the bullshit, excuses for broken designs, and even lies. At least the junk mail from the NRA doesn't have me eyeing it like it is some sort of scam. "Send us $1200 so we can process your winnings of 1.2Million" for example. Besides, if TP ever gets short between the NRA and credit card requests I should be fine for months.

Anyway, on topic, threatening to cancel or not renew on a forum really sounds like whining, If you can take the time to vent here, I'd assume you could take the time to email the NRA and bitch to them direct. I'd take a bet that if enough people bitched stuff would get toned down. It is a thought. And one might consider that perhaps contacting them would be the proper thing to do, we do tend to get a bit uptight when people complain about parts issues prior to contacting the manufacturer.... But, then what do I know, it is sunday night, I've eaten too much beef, sipped too much whiskey, and am swapping followers in Cetme-L mags with USGI mags to see if they work.

P.S.
If you are getting inundated with phone calls you could always "update" your phone number with a number that isn't yours. it is a thought.

hotrodder636
07-02-17, 20:43
Even before I upgraded to my Life membership I rarely got mailings and did not get phone calls. I don't own a land line, maybe that is the difference?

26 Inf
07-02-17, 20:58
I go for the 5 year membership and NEVER get called. It was nice after the hassle described above.

I'm on the 5 year membership and I've enrolled in do not call several times. I get calls on my both my cell and home phone. You are blessed.

OH58D
07-02-17, 21:22
I'm a Life Member, but they can't call me because there's zero cell phone service in my area. It's an actual dead zone that shows up on US coverage maps. The only phone we have to call out from the ranch is a Thrane Satellite phone. We use the cell only once we get back closer to town.

Ed L.
07-02-17, 21:34
They are the best protectors of the Second Amendment.

I am a member, but they do not have my phone number or email.

If I were getting annoyed by email or phonecalls, I would feel the same way.

I am convinced that their excess marketing has a negative effect on renewals. They send people so much crap int he mail, along with early renewal notices, that some people adopt the default of tossing all mail away unopened.

Alex V
07-02-17, 21:40
I got the lifetime membership, not even sure why. They don't give two shits about New Jersey. My hope is that when I move their work would have prevented our other states from succumbing to NJ's fate.

Artos
07-02-17, 22:10
A couple friends of mine are life members and they said the calls and mailings dropped off to almost zero.

This is the case for me...in my late 40's and been a lifer for at least 25 years. I never hear from them.

I will send $$$$ only to NRA-ILA and the local Friends of NRA banquet where all the funds go to local projects.

Buckaroo
07-02-17, 22:13
I started telling any and all solicitors that I am unemployed. Seems to be quite effective.
I am also the easy pay lifetime membership plan so that may be a benefit as well.
Magazines are getting poorer and poorer imo.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

m1a_scoutguy
07-02-17, 22:13
I have been a Life Member for longer than I can remember ! Lets put it this way, it cost me $125 bucks,,LOL I get some calls and a mailing once in awhile,I'm good at figuring out there phone numbers so most of the time I catch it and don't awnser . I live in NY and they don't do crap for us,,but just the way it is I guess. Would love a little more feedback from them in our fight on the silly SAFE Act but no luck with that. NYSRP is working hard for us but its a long battle that no matter what we will probably never win shit. 3 more year of work and hopefully I will be out of this place,,time will tell.

JoshNC
07-02-17, 22:28
Like them or not, the NRA is our very best lobbying group. And thankfully the NRA has actually been standing up against draconian gun laws all over the US, albeit seemingly less so in states like CA, NJ, NY which they must incorrectly see as lost causes. Look in the NRA publications; semiautos, SBRs, suppressors are all featured if only in ads. But this is a step in the right direction and to me signals that the Fuddites are mostly out and EBR lovers are in. I would certainly like to see the NRA do better. The only way to accomplish this is to remain a member, vote for board of directors who care about making absolutely NO compromise with our enemies, stay active, and let your voice be heard. The power of the NRA lobby is loathed by the gun prohibitionists and lusted after by other lobbying groups. So let's put to bed this talk of cancelling membership.

RazorBurn
07-02-17, 22:55
I do my membership three years at a time, and I get very few calls. I do get e-mails, but I don't mind them as it's not real hard to hit the delete button. I've been a member for some years now, and I don't receive many calls from them. I'm all for donating 30 bucks a year to them and the GCA to help protect our rights. They're by far the biggest voice, and player on the national and state level. The NRA worked very closely with the WVCDL to help get constitutional carry passed in West Virginia. I'll always support those who support my rights, especially when the dues are less than taking the family out to dinner.

NYH1
07-02-17, 22:57
I have been a Life Member for longer than I can remember ! Lets put it this way, it cost me $125 bucks,,LOL I get some calls and a mailing once in awhile,I'm good at figuring out there phone numbers so most of the time I catch it and don't awnser . I live in NY and they don't do crap for us,,but just the way it is I guess. Would love a little more feedback from them in our fight on the silly SAFE Act but no luck with that. NYSRP is working hard for us but its a long battle that no matter what we will probably never win shit. 3 more year of work and hopefully I will be out of this place,,time will tell.
My son, wife and I are all NRA members as well. If anyone calls our house or my wife or my cells phones that we don't recognize we don't answer.

I've called them a few times about issues here in New Yorkistan and they told they don't get involved in state issues. Gave me a local lawyers number. Then they get involved in the Chicago and DC handgun issues. DC's not even a state for crying out load. I also belong to SCOPE and NYSRPA. Those two org's hated each other until recently. Go figure, fighting for the same thing and couldn't get along.

Their magazines have gotten terrible latey as mentioned. I don't need to be told every time I open one "we saved you....but it's gonna get worse". It seems they want their membership to feel the same way about them that the libs want their peeps to feel about them. They want to pound the "fear thing" and "we'll save you" into us. It's does get old. Wayne LaPierre making the money he makes is ridicules too in my opinion.

NYH1.

Bulletdog
07-03-17, 00:21
Are they perfect? No. Are they about the only thing standing between us and the libs running roughshod over our rights? Yep.

Think about this another way: The lefties, SJWs, and gun grabbers all HATE the NRA. NRA is worse than Satan himself to them. Think about that. They must be doing something right.

Fear mongering? Sure. They are guilty. Bugging people too much for donations? Guilty of that too, but it must work or they wouldn't keep doing it. I don't know why people feel the need to lie, make up stories, or not answer their phone. Why can't we just politely say "No thank you.", and hang up. Thats what I do and it works like a charm.

The NRA only has 5 million members. There are about 150 gun owners in this country. Rather than quitting because you don't like their fund raising efforts, how about getting some of those other 145 million free loaders to get off their asses and in this fight. If even a third of the gun owners in this country joined the NRA, we'd have enough power and political clout to over turn all this non-sense. United we stand. Divided, well, we all know how that ends.

SteyrAUG
07-03-17, 00:40

Not only do they call me all the time, they even started calling me using another number after I began blocking their phone calls. Additionally, I receive endless junk mail from the NRA. How much of my donations are they spending on soliciting me to contribute more? How much money is spent on the junk they mail out for renewing your membership (it'd be better if they mailed you a free PMAG or something, if they MUST)?

Wayne LaPierre is paid over a million dollars a year, in addition to many millions distributed to his retirement fund... yet they always enclose a letter ostensibly signed by him begging us to donate more. Why doesn't he donate more? There are people in the military that are paid a tenth of what he's paid, yet are responsible for much, much more than he is.

The NRA-ILA consumes only a tenth of the NRA's total budget, yet this is the foundation of the organization.

I'm starting to think the NRA is just a self-licking ice cream cone.

Thoughts?

EDIT: And, yes, I know I can contact the NRA and tell them to quit soliciting me. I shouldn't have to do that. If I'm a dues paying member, I should be left alone. If I don't ever answer the phone, or always hang up on the caller, then that should be a sign to quit calling, as well. But guess what... many people, especially older folks who don't use the internet, have no idea how to stop the endless soliciting. They don't make it obvious... you have to look for the FAQ on the NRA website. It's unacceptable.

That borders on ridiculous. What group doesn't contact their members to offer products, services or solicit donations?

It's this simple: "Please put me on your do not solicit list" and that is all you have to do.

You don't need the internet, grab any copy of American Rifleman and call the 800 number and they will route you to the department that takes care of requests to not be solicited. If you never give them a dime beyond your membership fees that is fine. If you want to donate only to the ILA that is fine. That is what a lot of people do.

I'm a Life Member and they never call me, there is nothing in my mailbox except my copy of The American Rifleman. And if you don't want to be a member because they can't figure out what you want from them, then don't renew your membership.

But swear to GOD, when Harry Reid and Obama tried a last hour second attempt after the Sandy Hook legislation failed to go anywhere, there was only one group that kept that shit from going anywhere and right now you are complaining that they call your phone too much and cram your mailbox with junk mail.

Groups like the GOA, JPFO and several others are wonderful IF you can afford to support them as well. But there is only one group the anti gun crowd takes seriously. They may not be the "gung ho" / "no compromise" die hard organization that is dedicated to scrapping the entire 1968 GCA so your kids can mail order firearms direct to your home, but it's the best we've got at the moment.

mark5pt56
07-03-17, 06:06
Life member here and always do the NRA round up when ordering. Rarely receive mailings and occasionally donate additional. Funny how people always dream of what to do with the money if winning a large amount in the Lotto. Not listing all of them but one would be to set up accounts and have NRA sponsored training for folks starting out.

RetroRevolver77
07-03-17, 07:09
I got a renewal notice the other day- I'm not up for renewal for another eight months. Those mailings have to cost a lot of money and it bothers me that they waste those kinds of funds on drip mailing junk mailings or fake renewal notices.

Averageman
07-03-17, 08:16
I got a renewal notice the other day- I'm not up for renewal for another eight months. Those mailings have to cost a lot of money and it bothers me that they waste those kinds of funds on drip mailing junk mailings or fake renewal notices.

I agree, I would rather see that money go toward fighting gun control and putting money behind pro-second candidates.
Send me a reminder when it is time to renew and I will send you a check. Other than that, please use our money as wisely as possible.

justin_247
07-03-17, 14:33
First of all, I tried to delete this post shortly after I created it, because I knew I'd get a few people who wouldn't bother to read what I wrote and would instead call me "ridiculous". But, the moderators resurrected the post anyway, so here we are.

A few things:

(a) How many years you register for seems to be irrelevant to the number of calls you receive. I usually sign up for multi-year memberships, and that has yet to spare me.

(b) Yes, if I am a dues paying member, I shouldn't be getting called twice a day, sometimes morning and evening, and on weekends. Plain and simple. I'm a member of several other organizations and regularly receive mail from them giving me updates of their work and asking me for additional dollars, if I have it, but nothing to the extent that the NRA does.

(c) EVERYBODY here is ignoring the rest of the points that I made. Yes, I realize it's an organization that liberals hate. But maybe, just maybe, you guys should think about the fact that the top 10 leaders of the NRA made $10.8 million between themselves in 2015. This level of compensation is really unacceptable.

P.S. If you're going to reply and say, "Well, other not for profit organizations compensate their leaders even more...", then don't bother to reply. Really, people who say such things are apologists for the antics of crappy organizations like the Wounded Warrior Project or the Central Asia Institute, and I have zero tolerance for them.

Det-Sog
07-03-17, 15:12
The NRA is far from perfect. It's still the best thing that we have though. Just give them the wrong number... Maybe a liberal senators office phone number maybe...

IMHO, quitting the NRA equates to just not voting in the next federal election. By you dropping out of the NRA, that just gives more leverage to the Doomberg people that support the gun grabbing PACs..

FWIW, the last time they called me, I told them not to call anymore, and they STOPPED CALLING...

Hmac
07-03-17, 15:24
In my experience it doesn't matter what boxes you check or uncheck, or what emails or phone calls you make, they ignore you and continue to send their incessant spam or junk phone calls regardless. I won't have anything to do with them anymore.

gunnerblue
07-03-17, 15:42
I'm a life member and as others have reported, I've never received a phone call or any mail besides American Rifleman and the very infrequent lifelock offer.

NYH1
07-03-17, 15:46
In my experience it doesn't matter what boxes you check or uncheck, or what emails or phone calls you make, they ignore you and continue to send their incessant spam or junk phone calls regardless. I won't have anything to do with them anymore.
I agree with you. However, they still fight for our rights....at least on the fed level. So we're still members and will continue to be.

I just wish they would help use up here in the north east states more. Don't know about the other states around us. However here in New Yorkistan once you get north of Westchester and Rockland Counties....Upstate, most Counties are red. We need their help!

NYH1.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-03-17, 15:57
I have a lifetime membership. Get calls and mail ALL the time. It's really irritating. I joined because, well, it seemed like I had too, but I just don't see them doing a whole lot.

Bulletdog
07-03-17, 16:02
First of all, I tried to delete this post shortly after I created it, because I knew I'd get a few people who wouldn't bother to read what I wrote and would instead call me "ridiculous". But, the moderators resurrected the post anyway, so here we are.

A few things:

(a) How many years you register for seems to be irrelevant to the number of calls you receive. I usually sign up for multi-year memberships, and that has yet to spare me.

(b) Yes, if I am a dues paying member, I shouldn't be getting called twice a day, sometimes morning and evening, and on weekends. Plain and simple. I'm a member of several other organizations and regularly receive mail from them giving me updates of their work and asking me for additional dollars, if I have it, but nothing to the extent that the NRA does.

(c) EVERYBODY here is ignoring the rest of the points that I made. Yes, I realize it's an organization that liberals hate. But maybe, just maybe, you guys should think about the fact that the top 10 leaders of the NRA made $10.8 million between themselves in 2015. This level of compensation is really unacceptable.

P.S. If you're going to reply and say, "Well, other not for profit organizations compensate their leaders even more...", then don't bother to reply. Really, people who say such things are apologists for the antics of crappy organizations like the Wounded Warrior Project or the Central Asia Institute, and I have zero tolerance for them.

You have valid complaints here, but lets not throw out the baby with the bath water, ya know?

Its fine to want them to stop calling and sending junk.
Its fine to want them to help overturn the commie non-sense going on in your own state.
Its fine to want them to spend our donated money more efficiently.
Its fine if you think the higher ups should make less money.
We all agree that the NRA isn't perfect and the organization could use some streamlining.

BUT… quitting the organization only helps the enemies of the 2A.

Further, as long as they are stopping anti-2A legislation and getting pro-2A people elected, who cares what they get paid? When a better, more effective pro-2A organization comes along, I'll support them financially too. I already support GOA and CRPA.

Just think for a minute. If the everyone stopped supporting the NRA and the organization ceased to exist, what would happen to the 2A and our rights? If you don't think it would be a big deal then you don't understand what the NRA does for you.

They need money to fight our fight for us. So they use all sorts of fundraising tactics. I am very thankful that they are able to raise money and effectively fight on my behalf. Are the phone calls and mailings obnoxious? Sure. But how obnoxious would it be to have to make the choice of turning in your guns and mags, or becoming a felon because there was nobody to stop the libtards?

justin_247
07-03-17, 16:13
I said "considering"... I did not say, "I am quitting."

I will be renewing my membership.

But I am not happy with the endless spam, and I'm not happy that Wayne LaPierre exploits our plight for his own personal gain. And I'm especially unhappy that it's nearly impossible to fix any of this.

NYH1
07-03-17, 16:21
But how obnoxious would it be to have to make the choice of turning in your guns and mags, or becoming a felon because there was nobody to stop the libtards?
With all do respect, thats exactly what happened here in New Yorkistan in 2013 and the NRA couldn't seem to care less. It's almost like they're willing to concede a few states away to make most states happy. Kind of "cut off the arm to save the body" thing. Yeah, they ran an article in their magazine, that's all they did. I don't understand that way of thinking.

Hopefully with Trump being from NY and being a NRA supporter they'll start to help us any way they can. Or he can get another appointment to the SCOTUS and we can start getting some pro 2A things going again.

Still gonna remain a NRA member though.

NYH1.

TXBK
07-03-17, 16:37
I have a lifetime membership, and get hounded for money all of the time. Hounded via phone, mail, and email. I round up on orders with vendors that offer that, but it doesn't sit well with me when they try to push some POS item (bag, shirt, knife, etc.) on me that I don't want for free while they beg me for money. It seems to me like they waste a lot of money that could be spent better. I take it for the team, though...I guess.

Hmac
07-03-17, 16:43
I agree with you. However, they still fight for our rights....at least on the fed level. So we're still members and will continue to be.
I send an occasional anonymous donation to the ILA, and donate to my state GOCRA, which is pretty effective without all the bullshit spam. I won't have anything to do with the NRA anymore.

NYH1
07-03-17, 16:50
I send an occasional anonymous donation to the ILA, and donate to my state GOCRA, which is pretty effective without all the bullshit spam. I won't have anything to do with the NRA anymore.
I totally respect your opinion. Believe me I understand. We all have our own way of doing things. That's what great bout MERICA!

NYH1.

Bulletdog
07-03-17, 17:01
[I]But I am not happy with the endless spam, and I'm not happy that Wayne LaPierre exploits our plight for his own personal gain. And I'm especially unhappy that it's nearly impossible to fix any of this.

Me too. I'm simply taking the bad with the good, and hoping for the best.

Bulletdog
07-03-17, 17:10
With all do respect, thats exactly what happened here in New Yorkistan in 2013 and the NRA couldn't seem to care less. It's almost like they're willing to concede a few states away to make most states happy. Kind of "cut off the arm to save the body" thing. Yeah, they ran an article in their magazine, that's all they did. I don't understand that way of thinking.

Hopefully with Trump being from NY and being a NRA supporter they'll start to help us any way they can. Or he can get another appointment to the SCOTUS and we can start getting some pro 2A things going again.

Still gonna remain a NRA member though.

NYH1.

Michael Jordan is regarded by some as the best basketball player of all time. If not the best, he's arguably one of the best, right? Michael Jordan lost somewhere around 76% of the pro games he played in. Let that sink in…

Yes, the NRA has been ineffective in NY. How do you think we feel over here in CA? No, they don't win every game, but things would NOT be better if they weren't playing. Like you, I'm hoping Trump, all of the thousands of people appointed under him and his administration, the SCOTUS, the NRA, or anyone else will be able to help CA, MA, NY and NJ. Liberals don't get to go around the constitution just because they have the votes. As Judge Clarence Thomas put it: The Constitution is a shield against the tyranny of the majority.

Not only am I going to remain a member, I'm going to keep getting other gun owners and concerned parties to sign up. I wish to grow our fighting force, not just maintain it.

SteyrAUG
07-03-17, 17:34
Not only am I going to remain a member, I'm going to keep getting other gun owners and concerned parties to sign up. I wish to grow our fighting force, not just maintain it.

Yep, being a Life Member of the NRA is the most effective thing "I" can do to protect my rights. It's more effective than calling Debbie Wasserman and telling her that I oppose all of her gun control bullshit. It's more effective than calling all of my reps and it's more effective than complaining on the internet.

If there was something more effective, I'd be doing that too.

Renegade
07-03-17, 17:55

I am not the kind of person who cares what others make. YMMV. Whether they pay the top 10 leaders $10M, $10, or $10B, I do not care. I care about results. And the results over the last decade+ or so have been good. Also recognize it is hard to pass pro-gun anything with a Dem President. So that was 8 years lost. If we get 50 state reciprocity and HPA, that would be excellent and they should all get a minimum 100% bonus.

fledge
07-03-17, 18:21
I've been a member of the NRA for a few years. I never get calls. I do get First Freedom mag which I find valuable. I unsubscribe from the email lists that don't interest me. I'm grateful they exist and what they represent in the lobby. Their movement into blue states has also been encouraging.

I don't care about their compensation either as long as the job is getting the job done. At least it isn't taxpayer money.

Biggy
07-03-17, 18:23
I have been a life NRA member for around 6 years now. I have *never gotten* a phone call from them *ever* and might get mail from them 3 or 4 times a year. I may not always agree with everything they do at times, but IMHO , without the NRA fighting on our behalf, ** we would have** lost about all of our gun rights a long time ago. The anti gunners would love to try to divide and conquer us through in fighting and belittling the NRA , etc. If someone doesn't want to give anything to the NRA, then don't ****ing give anything to them, its that simple . *Go to another country then* and see how you like the gun laws there, if you can even own any tactical type firearms. And thats just the way it is. Thats right !!

Eric D.
07-03-17, 18:45
Get yourself setup with a non-surveillance-funded email account that allows you to create aliases and then nuke them when they start receiving junk. Do the same thing for online shopping and places that require email to sign up.

justin_247
07-03-17, 19:54
Ugh, I just checked my last renewal date, and it turns out my membership doesn't even expire for another year. I knew something was weird... the NRA is trying to get me to renew early.

Cagemonkey
07-03-17, 20:33
I'm a Life member and they call pretty consistently. Its the same number so I never answer. It is annoying, but not enough so to quit my membership.

26 Inf
07-03-17, 20:56
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Don't know if you can opt out of the phone calls when you talk to them.

TXBK
07-03-17, 21:09
The paper mail and email don't really bother me, except for the wasted resources. The constant barrage of phone calls is out of hand, though. Blocking phone numbers has proved to not be the trick. I guess that I will have to get more aggressive with the organization that I am donating my ****ing money to, to leave me the **** alone otherwise.

Perhaps, there would be some different attitudes if this occurred to you, as well.

Pi3
07-03-17, 21:37
1. I haven't gotten calls since getting rid of the land line, but I may have. There are so many scams out there that I don't answer calls I don't recognize. If they are legit, they will leave a voice message and I return the call. I block all of the others, so may have been blockiing theirs.
2. I gave them my email address, thinkiing it wastes less of my donation to delete emails than put paper in the land fill. they still send snail mail, but less.
3. I joined in the 80s and a friend gave me his old american rifleman mags going back to the 60s. Back then, There was more about firearms and less about what a wonderful job they are doing for us.
3. A very pro 2A friend of mine quit because he got sick of seeing his donation going to getting more $ out of him instead of lobbying to protect his rights. I treid to talk him into re-joining but without sucess.

OH58D
07-03-17, 23:06
I'm a life member, but they couldn't call me if they wanted to...no landline. Our ranch has a Thrane Satellite phone, but usage is for more important things. Keeps the cost down. We all have cell phones, but we're in a dead zone for this part of New Mexico. It is a big blank for any nationwide cell coverage map. We use the cellphones once we get closer to civilization.

I still support the NRA, and send them some disposable income from time to time. I still think they do some good, if just keeping the Left unhinged.

NYH1
07-04-17, 00:02
Michael Jordan is regarded by some as the best basketball player of all time. If not the best, he's arguably one of the best, right? Michael Jordan lost somewhere around 76% of the pro games he played in. Let that sink in…
Well in reality, Michael Jordan was 706-366 in reg. season games for .659 win%. 119-60 in 179 playoff games for .665 win%. 825-426 in 1251 combined games for a total .659 win%. Don't ever listen to whoever told you he lost 76% of his games....they're a fool!

Yes, the NRA has been ineffective in NY. How do you think we feel over here in CA? No, they don't win every game, but things would NOT be better if they weren't playing. Like you, I'm hoping Trump, all of the thousands of people appointed under him and his administration, the SCOTUS, the NRA, or anyone else will be able to help CA, MA, NY and NJ. Liberals don't get to go around the constitution just because they have the votes. As Judge Clarence Thomas put it: The Constitution is a shield against the tyranny of the majority.

Agree with the rest my friend.

NYH1.

Ed L.
07-04-17, 01:01
I got the lifetime membership, not even sure why. They don't give two shits about New Jersey. My hope is that when I move their work would have prevented our other states from succumbing to NJ's fate.

First, most of the NRA's work is on a national level.

Second, they are not omnipowerful. They cannot wave a wand and make gun laws disappear---especially if you are talking about states that have a matrix of long established antigun laws and a very liberal voter base.

JC5188
07-04-17, 03:48
"Shouldn't have to call them".

Really?

Then don't bitch about it, lol. Takes literally 30 seconds. The time it took you to make this thread.

As far as NRA in general, they are the only ones I see regularly fighting in court. ILA is where I send my money. They are responsible for the two major favorable rulings in recent memory.

Nothing is perfect, but they're the best we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
07-04-17, 07:44
The people in charge of the NRA have made some big mistakes the past few years, but they are the biggest dog in the fight against the left. Even though I am not too pleased with those in charge, I am going to stick by the NRA and continue my 42+ year membership.

Singlestack Wonder
07-04-17, 08:47
The people in charge of the NRA have made some big mistakes the past few years, but they are the biggest dog in the fight against the left. Even though I am not too pleased with those in charge, I am going to stick by the NRA and continue my 42+ year membership.

+10........

usmcvet
07-04-17, 08:54
I'm a Life Member, but they can't call me because there's zero cell phone service in my area. It's an actual dead zone that shows up on US coverage maps. The only phone we have to call out from the ranch is a Thrane Satellite phone. We use the cell only once we get back closer to town.

I just spent 8 days in NM. We had a blast. Lots of dead zones out there for me. Beautiful area.

Tigereye
07-04-17, 10:25
I'm a Life Member and do get calls from time to time. I don't believe that the NRA is perfect but it's what we have working for us. I still contribute to ILA and my firearms insurance is through them.

Pi3
07-04-17, 11:00
I question if their fund raising model raises the most revenue.

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/some-hunters-say-the-nras-aggressive-fundraising-is-causing-them-to-quit-the-group/

Biggy
07-04-17, 12:25
IMHO, no donated $ = no more NRA = no more guns or ammo at some point, or it would be to much of a hassle or to expensive to own and enjoy them. IMHO, while we are currently pretty save with gun ownership, etc. in this country and have made some gains, it could turn around quicker then you would think in the not to distant future. While the NRA is not perfect, and can be a bothersome pest at times for some people, do not let the anti-gunners try to divide and conquer us. Then there will really be some whining.

Pi3
07-04-17, 15:04
I agree, but think they could increase their clout and funding by increasing membership. It seems like they are just doubling down on their base. I would think they could at least triple their membership after the spike in gun sales the last few years. A lot of people bought an AR with a few mags for the first time. They should be inclined to join up.
Assuming in the usa:
5 mil NRA members
14.5 mil licensed CCW holders
30% to 50% of households own at least 1 gun. Probably drastically under reported in the last 30 years.
50 to 100 mil gun owners.
300 mil + privately owned firearms.

Singlestack Wonder
07-04-17, 15:12
I agree, but think they could increase their clout and funding by increasing membership. It seems like they are just doubling down on their base. I would think they could at least triple their membership after the spike in gun sales the last few years. A lot of people bought an AR with a few mags for the first time. They should be inclined to join up.
Assuming in the usa:
5 mil NRA members
30% to 50% of households own at least 1 gun. Probably drastically under reported in the last 30 years.

If all 50-100 million gun owners were members of the NRA, clinton, obama, hilliary, etc. would have never made it to the starting gate.......

dmaxfireman
07-04-17, 15:35
Like them or not, the NRA is our very best lobbying group. And thankfully the NRA has actually been standing up against draconian gun laws all over the US, albeit seemingly less so in states like CA, NJ, NY which they must incorrectly see as lost causes. Look in the NRA publications; semiautos, SBRs, suppressors are all featured if only in ads. But this is a step in the right direction and to me signals that the Fuddites are mostly out and EBR lovers are in. I would certainly like to see the NRA do better. The only way to accomplish this is to remain a member, vote for board of directors who care about making absolutely NO compromise with our enemies, stay active, and let your voice be heard. The power of the NRA lobby is loathed by the gun prohibitionists and lusted after by other lobbying groups. So let's put to bed this talk of cancelling membership.

This is why I let my membership lapse. They have made zero headway here in CT towards getting our previous and "new and improved" AWB repealed. They rode the coat tails on a lawsuit that went to SCOTUS but they refused to hear, and that was the end of it.

OH58D
07-04-17, 16:19
Maybe I just enjoy getting the American Rifleman magazine. I've spent money over the years on things I received no return on, and that includes lying, bum politicians. I did my life membership over 20 years ago, and I still send in extra a couple of times a year. If anything, they seem to have some sway with current politicians and a good rating from that organization seems to mean something. Also, they make the Left anti-gunners tie themselves in knots, and that's worth something to me.

Bulletdog
07-04-17, 16:36
If all 50-100 million gun owners were members of the NRA, clinton, obama, hilliary, etc. would have never made it to the starting gate.......

Yep. We would effectively end the advance of socialism if the NRA were 50-100 million strong. And all the gun owners in America have so much common ground to stand on.

Bulletdog
07-04-17, 16:39
Well in reality, Michael Jordan was 706-366 in reg. season games for .659 win%. 119-60 in 179 playoff games for .665 win%. 825-426 in 1251 combined games for a total .659 win%. Don't ever listen to whoever told you he lost 76% of his games....they're a fool!

Agree with the rest my friend.

NYH1.

I will openly admit that I am not a big basketball fan, and having worked with MJ, I can tell you he's an A-hole. Thank you for correcting my ignorance. I will research my statistics more carefully if I ever use this one again.

Happy Fourth to you and yours!

yoni
07-04-17, 16:50
I have mixed emotions on the NRA.

I don't think they are hard core enough, in my book. They are kind of like the lobbyist version of the Republican party. They like to raise money and have all the fun of being a powerful lobby, but they don't want to achieve victory over the enemies of freedom.

If they were to become hard core take no prisoners, then I would be a life member.

26 Inf
07-04-17, 16:52
Assuming in the usa:
5 mil NRA members

One way I could see them doing this is by working with firearms manufacturers. Have the manufacturers give the NRA data - name and address - whenever someone registers a product with them. Then send them a free one-year membership. If the person accepts they get the magazine of their choice.

brushy bill
07-04-17, 18:03

I'm a benefactor member and have not experienced that. I don't mind. They have to keep paying for expenses even when we have a gun friendly government as bills don't go away. I don't know how much Wayne LaPierre is making or what he does, but a lot of CEOs make more. I just know that without the NRA, this thread probably wouldn't exist. YMMV.

Biggy
07-04-17, 18:05
IMHO, the whole future of gun rights, the shooting sports and the whole gun gun industry in the USA lays with getting our young people involved with the shooting sports, and educated of their gun rights via the NRA or one of the other gun rights groups. Without a bunch of new younger people coming in all the time, at some point in the next 20 years or less, it might not be a pretty picture.

FlyingHunter
07-04-17, 18:08
I just know that without the NRA, this thread probably wouldn't exist. YMMV.

Great line Brushy Bill. Fighting for your rights may come with certain inconveniences. That may include marketing. Balance that level of of challenge with knife fighting the British for a constitutional right. Join, keep paying dues, and if you don't like their plan of action, step right up and become a volunteer, then officer, the paid staffer, and change the organization from within.

BoringGuy45
07-05-17, 01:40
The problem with the NRA is that they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. They go for low hanging fruit; they'll give a great write up about how they were behind some huge gun rights victory, like extending hunting time an hour later in some already pro-gun state. But if some state steps on major rights, they'll declare that they're very angry, and that's about it. In states like CT, MA, etc, it's the state gun rights groups that do everything; the NRA says we're with you in spirit, but vote with your feet, because we're not touching this one.

They need to become more of a nuisance; they need to become like the left. Some state passes an anti-tranny bill, or allows a kid to read the Bible in his study hall, there's everything short of an armed attack launched at that state from the left. I'm surprised that California or New York hasn't rolled tanks and infantry into Georgia or Alabama yet. But when California or New York pulls some anti-gun shit...crickets. That HAS to change if the NRA wants to remain relevant.

AKDoug
07-05-17, 02:07
The last phone call I received was over two years ago. I simply asked them to not call anymore.

Hmac
07-05-17, 08:45
The last phone call I received was over two years ago. I simply asked them to not call anymore.

That would be great if it always worked that way with them. It doesn't.

TXBK
07-05-17, 09:48

That is absolutely correct. Every time they call me from a new number begging for money, I ask them not to call me anymore and block the number. Shortly thereafter, they just call from a different number. If I don't block the number, they call every single day. I'm all for doing my part, but it's pretty irritating. I donate on my own, and actually donate less when they constantly hound me. I've been using the "serenity now" technique for dealing with them, but I'm reaching the boiling point. I don't want to blow up on a caller, so I've sent them an email and hope they will resolve it soon.

Hmac
07-05-17, 09:55
That is absolutely correct. Every time they call me from a new number begging for money, I ask them not to call me anymore and block the number. Shortly thereafter, they just call from a different number. If I don't block the number, they call every single day. I'm all for doing my part, but it's pretty irritating. I donate on my own, and actually donate less when they constantly hound me. I've been using the "serenity now" technique for dealing with them, but I'm reaching the boiling point. I don't want to blow up on a caller, so I've sent them an email and hope they will resolve it soon.

It's irritating to the point where it detracts from their credibility.

This is far from the first time that NRA spam has been the subject of intense debate here on M4C. It's an ongoing problem with them.

THCDDM4
07-05-17, 10:31
We live in the age of spam and marketing. It's annoying, yes.

Here's what I do-

Don't know the number calling, don't answer.
Set up a spam folder in your email and filter the NRA and other stuff there.

Pretty simple stuff.

I'm a life member and contribute all I can to ILA. I'm also a member of GOA, NAGR and RMGO- all of the. Constantly email and call for contributions.

I contribute all I can and the hassle of the emails and calls is nothing compared to the hassle of potentially losing my rights.

I suggest you all just brush it off and direct this energy towards fighting and stopping the Anti-gun crowd and not the pro-gun crowd...

NYH1
07-05-17, 14:37
The problem with the NRA is that they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. They go for low hanging fruit; they'll give a great write up about how they were behind some huge gun rights victory, like extending hunting time an hour later in some already pro-gun state. But if some state steps on major rights, they'll declare that they're very angry, and that's about it. In states like CT, MA, etc, it's the state gun rights groups that do everything; the NRA says we're with you in spirit, but vote with your feet, because we're not touching this one.

They need to become more of a nuisance; they need to become like the left. Some state passes an anti-tranny bill, or allows a kid to read the Bible in his study hall, there's everything short of an armed attack launched at that state from the left. I'm surprised that California or New York hasn't rolled tanks and infantry into Georgia or Alabama yet. But when California or New York pulls some anti-gun shit...crickets. That HAS to change if the NRA wants to remain relevant.
Great points!

NYH1.

SteyrAUG
07-05-17, 17:29

I doubt an email will work. They "should" have stopped calling the first time you asked to be put on the "don't call / don't solicit" list. I did that in 2008 and haven't gotten any calls and nothing in the mailbox but my Rifleman.

Try this number if you haven't already. 1-800-672-3888

JC5188
07-05-17, 17:59

It worked with AkDoug, myself, my dad, and even Eurodriver once commented it worked the same for him and another guy.

You are the first person I've heard that they didn't stop once asked.

Did you call them specifically? Or rather, after answering a call from them?

JC5188
07-05-17, 18:01
I doubt an email will work. They "should" have stopped calling the first time you asked to be put on the "don't call / don't solicit" list. I did that in 2008 and haven't gotten any calls and nothing in the mailbox but my Rifleman.

Yes, the person receiving the mail needs to call...don't wait until they call and THEN ask.

Hmac
07-05-17, 18:16
It worked with AkDoug, myself, my dad, and even Eurodriver once commented it worked the same for him and another guy.

You are the first person I've heard that they didn't stop once asked.

Did you call them specifically? Or rather, after answering a call from them?

Oh well...if it worked for those guys it certainly must work for everybody else.:rolleyes:

Yes, I called them. No, I'm not dicking around with them any more. I'm on a scorched-earth anti-spam campaign and via their own policies they have fallen victim. I'm certainly not going to facilitiate their anti-consumer inclinations by giving them my home address, my email address, and certainly not any phone numbers.

TXBK
07-05-17, 20:58

Well, we'll see how it goes. I probably sound like a whiny bitch, but I guess that's better than tearing into a caller that doesn't deserve it.

I've vented, spoken my piece, and will do what I should've done from the beginning. I'll own my passive aggressive behavior, and move on. There...now, I feel better.

HKGuns
07-06-17, 10:09

This.....

HKGuns
07-06-17, 10:11
That borders on ridiculous. What group doesn't contact their members to offer products, services or solicit donations?

It's this simple: "Please put me on your do not solicit list" and that is all you have to do.

You don't need the internet, grab any copy of American Rifleman and call the 800 number and they will route you to the department that takes care of requests to not be solicited. If you never give them a dime beyond your membership fees that is fine. If you want to donate only to the ILA that is fine. That is what a lot of people do.

I'm a Life Member and they never call me, there is nothing in my mailbox except my copy of The American Rifleman. And if you don't want to be a member because they can't figure out what you want from them, then don't renew your membership.

But swear to GOD, when Harry Reid and Obama tried a last hour second attempt after the Sandy Hook legislation failed to go anywhere, there was only one group that kept that shit from going anywhere and right now you are complaining that they call your phone too much and cram your mailbox with junk mail.

Groups like the GOA, JPFO and several others are wonderful IF you can afford to support them as well. But there is only one group the anti gun crowd takes seriously. They may not be the "gung ho" / "no compromise" die hard organization that is dedicated to scrapping the entire 1968 GCA so your kids can mail order firearms direct to your home, but it's the best we've got at the moment.

And this.....

JC5188
07-06-17, 11:42
Oh well...if it worked for those guys it certainly must work for everybody else.:rolleyes:

Yes, I called them. No, I'm not dicking around with them any more. I'm on a scorched-earth anti-spam campaign and via their own policies they have fallen victim. I'm certainly not going to facilitiate their anti-consumer inclinations by giving them my home address, my email address, and certainly not any phone numbers.

Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as a dick...I honestly can't imagine why it would be different. That's all.

Hmac
07-06-17, 12:22
Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as a dick...I honestly can't imagine why it would be different. That's all.

No, I get it. Sometimes it's easy to believe, for example, that those little "unsubscribe" links at the bottom of the email spam from virtually all companies that we all get every day actually work. Or that we think that checking the box "no, don't send me any spam" on vendor web pages will actually be honored by that vendor. Same thing with the NRA. Sometimes they work, sometimes your check boxes or your unsubscribe requests are ignored. Or, maybe they're honored...for awhile. But I'm certain that they never throw your contact info away, and I can envision that, if the cause is just, and urgent enough (in their minds) then they feel justified in dusting off that address and spamming you once again. And with the NRA, every cause is "just" and "urgent".

Easier to just not engage.

SteyrAUG
07-06-17, 16:12
No, I get it. Sometimes it's easy to believe, for example, that those little "unsubscribe" links at the bottom of the email spam from virtually all companies that we all get every day actually work. Or that we think that checking the box "no, don't send me any spam" on vendor web pages will actually be honored by that vendor. Same thing with the NRA. Sometimes they work, sometimes your check boxes or your unsubscribe requests are ignored. Or, maybe they're honored...for awhile. But I'm certain that they never throw your contact info away, and I can envision that, if the cause is just, and urgent enough (in their minds) then they feel justified in dusting off that address and spamming you once again. And with the NRA, every cause is "just" and "urgent".

Easier to just not engage.

I don't trust any of those things. I don't even trust a person from a "call center" to actually do what I need them to do. So back in 2008 when I became a member "again" I called the main line and asked a person to put me on a "do not solicit" list and made it clear if I got any calls that I would cancel my membership and never renew.

Seems to have done the trick. As for emails, I have my email account manage that for me. Identify a few items as "spam" and spam filters work pretty good. Evey day my spam folder has about a dozen "urgent notices" from various groups.

HeruMew
07-07-17, 14:38
On the EPL, signed on when they offered it for 500 before the jump to 1500.

I can say I am happy I am looking at only 20 quarterly payments instead of 60.

Either way, I don't get any calls. Ever. Never have. Even when I joined initially and spent only 20, or something, for my first year.

I get emails monthly. Probably 3-4 a month.

No skin off my back. I donate when I can to the ILA separately, as I know when my remaining 300 is paid off, that'll be it, I won't have to pay anything further unless I want to.

Either way, I know there is a hard limit for most of us when it comes to marketing shenanigans, but I would much rather support them than not have them.

kirkland
07-08-17, 10:56
You have to give the NRA credit for fighting the good fight when Obama and the other gun hating Democrats really went after the 2nd amendment post Sandy Hook.

NYH1
07-08-17, 11:06
You have to give the NRA credit for fighting the good fight when Obama and the other gun hating Democrats really went after the 2nd amendment post Sandy Hook.
What exactly did they do? Did you see what happened here in NY. and in Conn.? All I recall the NRA doing about NY. and Conn. was putting a few articles in their magazines say how disappointed they were....that's it.

NYH1.

ramairthree
07-08-17, 11:16
No other entity can offer the lobbying power they do.

Over the past ten or fifteen years or so I have done the upgrade to life, to
Endowment, Patron, Benefactor every few years when they give a special offer.

Probably the smartest grand or two you could spend for your rights over that time frame.

The day is coming when your five year olds will be doing mandatory switch genders week at kindergarten, home schooling will be outlawed, you get fired from your job for being in on a conservation where a co-worker says Chris Rock has a new special coming out that is an updated version of Why Black Peope Hate Niggaz, eating meat will get the same social pressures as smoking and you will be taxed heavily to get it, you will be taxed heavily even more on everything, the leeches portion of society will go from just under 50% to over 70%, and even printing more money will not let us kick the can down the road any further.

The only say you will have in the matter at some point will be because you are armed.
The NRA is the backbone of prolonging the period of time it will take to when simply being armed is a felony.

AKDoug
07-08-17, 11:46
What exactly did they do? Did you see what happened here in NY. and in Conn.? All I recall the NRA doing about NY. and Conn. was putting a few articles in their magazines say how disappointed they were....that's it.

NYH1.

https://www.nysrpa.org/legal-action-against-cuomo-gun-law/

TXBK
07-08-17, 11:51
I haven't received a phone call from them this week, after sending them an email.

NYH1
07-08-17, 13:46
https://www.nysrpa.org/legal-action-against-cuomo-gun-law/
If you talk to the leaders of NYSRPA which I do twice a year at our local gun show, they say the NRA has done nothing in substance to help their cases. That they mention the NRA for the same reasons my family and I are members....they're the largest pro 2A org. out there. SCOPE says the same thing. NYSRPA and SCOPE are fighting our fight. Not the NRA, not yet anyway. Maybe the Donald can change that.

NYH1.

tb-av
07-08-17, 14:40
Thoughts?

Liberals do not want you to fund the NRA.

It may not be perfect. It's the best we have.

Divide and conquer. Liberals would love to see you de-fund the NRA without having other support systems in place that render it redundant.

But guess what... many people, especially older folks who don't use the internet, have no idea how to stop the endless soliciting.

Then you should put up a flyer at your local gun club and gun shops offering to help those that have no other recourse. Write up a concise flyer helping older and non-Internet oriented members work with the NRA to stay enrolled and free from intrusions.

It's "We the People". Personally, I would rather write a letter or make a phone call than have to stand armed in my doorway telling the authorities they can't come in. All or nothing, black or white decisions are seldom the easiest solution when a decent infrastructure is in place already.

To not support the NRA is to oppose it. To support it does not mean you can't work to make it better. You have a computer, I have a computer. Highly unlikely they are anything alike in the way they function. Yet both function off the same core hardware. Customize your NRA and then teach others how to do the same.

Liberals do not want you to fund the NRA.

you have to look for the FAQ on the NRA website. It's unacceptable.

Call your best rider and have him deliver your sentiments to their headquarters. :jester:
http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1194224/139490621/stock-photo-old-paper-ancient-parchment-scroll-with-wax-seal-and-quill-pen-139490621.jpg

T2C
07-08-17, 14:52
The NRA is our dog in the fight. If we are unhappy with the way things are being run, we should not quit the NRA, we should kick the leadership square in the ass and tell them what changes we want made.

26 Inf
07-08-17, 15:54
deleted - kind of idiotic comparison :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
07-08-17, 16:29

NYH1.

Well for starters they reminded all the members of Congress that they lobbied with money over the years that if they want to keep the gravy train running they better vote accordingly, and thankfully they did.

As for NY, Conn, CA and a few other places, the NRA probably realizes that money given to the likes of Pelosi, Feinstein, Schumer and the rest of the "ban them all" crowd is probably not money well invested.

But a massive attempt at the permanent reinstatement of the Clinton ban at the federal level was soundly defeated so you still at least have the option of moving to a free state. The NRA isn't perfect, I think they got played by "A Rated" Harry Reid who lulled everyone into a false sense of complacency with his "guns are not on the agenda" horseshit and then launched a last hour assault trying to catch everyone asleep, but if we didn't have the NRA, and more importantly the membership numbers it represents, they probably would have gotten away with it and the best case outcome would probably be everything we own that qualifies as a "military style" firearm would become "non transferable" and nobody would be able to buy any more.

Worst case outcome would be "Turn them all in Mr. and Mrs. America" Feinstein wet dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffI-tWh37UY

kirkland
07-08-17, 18:55

NYH1.

Lobbying senators and house members to not vote for anti gun laws. That's what makes or breaks laws in this country, the votes. It works, at least on a federal level, the NRA certainly makes a difference. I share your frustration on the state level, we've had some bad crap pass here in Washington state over the last couple years, anti gun campaigns funded by out of state billionares. The NRA seems to pick and choose which state battles they get involved in.

kirkland
07-08-17, 18:59
The NRA is our dog in the fight. If we are unhappy with the way things are being run, we should not quit the NRA, we should kick the leadership square in the ass and tell them what changes we want made.

Yeah, and in the meantime another federal assault weapon ban gets passed. Do you want that to happen? We may be sitting pretty with a republican majority in the house and senate now, but when the pendulum swings the other way, we're going to want the NRA well funded and doing their jobs.

kirkland
07-08-17, 19:02

Oops. I misread your comment, I thought you said we SHOULD quit the NRA, now I see you said we SHOULD NOT quit the NRA, but tell them what changes we want made. I agree. My apologies.

tb-av
07-10-17, 08:08
I received this in my email last week...

Just a friendly reminder that the Hanover Tomato Festival is this Saturday, July 8th at the Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville. With over 40,000 people expected, the Hanover Tomato Festival provides Second Amendment Supporters the unique ability to make their voice heard to a diverse group of voters in the community!
[snip]
Patrick DeStefano Campaign Field Representative | NRA-ILA (864)-680-0399 patrick@nrailafrontlines.com http://www.nrailafrontlines.com/

Now to put this in context, Mechanicsville VA is a small suburb outside Richmond. It's in Hanover County. That's a pretty large county but not heavily developed. You can not drive through Hanover County and not see these huge yellow signs with political commentary on them. All generally revolutionary and 2A oriented. There is a 'Tea Party' type group that was largely responsible for dethroning Eric Cantor in Hanover.

So the moral of the story... People working for what they want and the NRA / NRA-ILA working with the people. I think it's unrealistic to expect to simply write a check once a year or worse every five years and think that's going to place representation and save your 2A rights. It takes people standing up and getting to work.

http://blueridgeforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Wake-Up-America.jpg

Anyone in advertising will tell you, it only works when it's done on a continuous basis.

Hmac
07-10-17, 08:18
*sigh* So many causes, so little time.

They're just going to have to get by with my money alone.

tb-av
07-10-17, 09:18
*sigh* So many causes, so little time.

They're just going to have to get by with my money alone.

Well obviously not everyone can do every thing. Some can only donate money. But the point is the money does help. So if all a person wants to do is simply write one check in their lifetime and nevre hear from or about NRA again. then fine... That's just one person but at least write that one check because it will help. Not writing the check will do harm.

It doesn't have to be 'all or nothing' for every single person, but don't be the person that decides to do nothing and completely withdraw from the effort.

Hmac
07-10-17, 09:27
Well obviously not everyone can do every thing. Some can only donate money. But the point is the money does help. So if all a person wants to do is simply write one check in their lifetime and nevre hear from or about NRA again. then fine... That's just one person but at least write that one check because it will help. Not writing the check will do harm.

It doesn't have to be 'all or nothing' for every single person, but don't be the person that decides to do nothing and completely withdraw from the effort.

As I said earlier, I periodically donate anonymously to the ILA as well as my state GOCRA. That keeps me off the NRA's bullshit spam list, and Minnesota GOCRA at least grasps the concept of showing restraint in their volume of crap that they send out.

tb-av
07-10-17, 09:40
As I said earlier, I periodically donate anonymously to the ILA as well as my state GOCRA.

Right I understand. I was speaking more towards anyone that either doesn't do anything or has gotten fed up and choosing to quit altogether. I mean I agree with you, every day it's like 'what now?' because some Liberal weasel has crawled out of their hole and wants to take something else away.They will continue to do it as long as they know it will chip away even to the slightest degree. They are happy to nickel and dime our rights away.

Bulletdog
07-10-17, 11:23

NYH1.

I feel your frustration. You know darn well its just as bad and maybe worse in some ways over here.

I also want the NRA, the republicans, the Tea Party, Donald Trump and anyone else to come over here, kick some a$$, take names, and stop the infringement of my God given Constitutionally protected birthrights. How do you propose we get that done both here and in NY NJ? We all see what the NRA is doing on a federal level, but how do we get them to launch a full bore attack on our corrupt socialist state politicians? What will the cost of that be? What side effects will it have? Is it possible to overthrow our respective state governments when the majority of the people in both of our states have been duped into supporting this feckless crapola? You and I know that these gun control measures only help the criminals and other bad guys, but how do we get the people surrounding us on board with that vs. the lies they are told on the news daily. How do we get them to realize that the majority doesn't get to trample the Constitutionally protected rights of the minority?

What do you propose? What would you like to see the NRA do?

Det-Sog
07-10-17, 12:07
I feel your frustration. You know darn well its just as bad and maybe worse in some ways over here.

I also want the NRA, the republicans, the Tea Party, Donald Trump and anyone else to come over here, kick some a$$, take names, and stop the infringement of my God given Constitutionally protected birthrights. How do you propose we get that done both here and in NY NJ? We all see what the NRA is doing on a federal level, but how do we get them to launch a full bore attack on our corrupt socialist state politicians? What will the cost of that be? What side effects will it have? Is it possible to overthrow our respective state governments when the majority of the people in both of our states have been duped into supporting this feckless crapola? You and I know that these gun control measures only help the criminals and other bad guys, but how do we get the people surrounding us on board with that vs. the lies they are told on the news daily. How do we get them to realize that the majority doesn't get to trample the Constitutionally protected rights of the minority?

Post of the day in a thread that will not go away... This one was spot on.

I had to live in the "thou shall NOT issue" state of HAWAII for a while, and can tell that you that locally there is NOTHING that the NRA can do. Period. They must focus on the long game which is the SCOTUS and the balance of the U.S. Senate and Congress. I can't speak for NY, NJ, MA, and CA... But I imagine the problem is the same as in HI.

The reason the NRA is powerless at the blue state level is because the local population keeps RE-ELECTING the SAME socialist/progressive politicians. Lather, rinse, repeat. The NRA isn't going to change the mind of fourth generation Democrat voters. These people are ALWAYS going to vote Democtat. The not so funny part is watching all of the same Democrat voters complaining about the continuously failed socialist programs (think Detiolet, Homelesslulu or New Orleans), but keep voting Democrat anyway. Their votes are bought and paid for with loads of free-chit and self-serving, bleeding heart, feel good B.S..

Solution for you people in NY-NJ-CA-MA-HI...MOVE!!! That's what I did.

NYH1
07-13-17, 14:29

For starters, as mentioned....my family and I are NRA members and will continue to be.

I want the NRA to get as involved in states like NY, NJ, MA, CA as they would in states like TX, AL, OK, AZ. We're ALL THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and should stick together no matter what. They should use their clout to get all of our 2A rights to the SCOTUS. Get all the people they support to lean hard on the SCOTUS and get it done. I understand states have rights. However, constitutional rights trump states rights.

As far as New Yorkistan specifically, cuomo (I don't capitalize names of people I have absolutely no respect for) and company they used the "message of necessity" law illegally. It was meant to be used if there was an imminent threat to the people of the state. Kind of like Sept. 11th, Hurricane Sandy....not because some @$$hole doesn't like guns. Take that $h!t all the way to the SCOTUS and don't rest until it gets there. Then move on the Conn, MA, NJ....

NYH1.

26 Inf
07-13-17, 17:11
Take that $h!t all the way to the SCOTUS and don't rest until it gets there. Then move on the Conn, MA, NJ....

NYH1.

Getting to the SCOTUS is not as easy as just wanting to have a case heard. Simple version. First, you need to have a case that meets your criteria. Second, you need to have a basis for appealing a lower court decision that hasn't already been heard. Third, the Court needs to agree to hear the case - grant a writ of Certiorari

Certiorari is most commonly associated with the writ that the Supreme Court of the United States issues to review a lower court's judgment. A case cannot, as a matter of right, be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court; therefore, a party seeking to appeal from a lower court decision may file a petition to a higher court for a writ of certiorari. That writ is the formal order to the lower court to deliver its record of the case for review.

In the US Supreme Court, if four Justices agree to review the case, then the Court grants certiorari (often abbreviated as "cert."); if that does not happen, the Court denies certiorari. Most of the Justices participate in a "cert pool," meaning their law clerks collectively assign out among themselves the various petitions for certiorari (known commonly as "cert petitions") and prepare memoranda for the Justices summarizing the issues and recommending whether or not the Court should grant certiorari. Critics of this process note the shrinking number of cases the Court has agreed to hear in recent years, theorizing that the "cert pool" tends to increase the number of recommended denials.

Rule 10 of the Supreme Court Rules lists the criteria for granting certiorari and explains that the decision to grant or deny certiorari is discretionary. A decision to deny certiorari does not necessarily imply that the higher court agrees with the lower court's ruling; instead, it simply means that fewer than four justices determined that the circumstances of the decision of the lower court warrant a review by the Supreme Court. The Court's orders granting or denying certiorari are issued as simple statements of actions taken, without any explanations given for denial.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/certiorari

Not as simple as the NRA going 'make it so.'

ETA: in Kansas we've been waiting for over a decade for a case to take to the KS Supreme Court to assert that HGN portion of the SFST meets the Frye standard for admission as evidence (Frye v. United States, 293 F. 1013 (D.C. Cir. 1923) ). Has not happened yet, much to the DUI Attorneys' delight.

NYH1
07-14-17, 20:24
26 Inf, thanks for the info. Repealing the NY UNsafe act has already gone to the US 2nd Circuit Court in both the western and southern districts of NY. Both judges upheld it. The judge in the western district changed our restricted magazine capacity from 7 rds. to 10 rds., bless his heart.

So it's been shot down in a two federal courts. Guess it's headed in the right direction.

NYH1.

26 Inf
07-14-17, 23:26
I got on the SCOPE and NYSRPA websites and read the blogs on the cases.

What a freaking mess.

I feel for you guys!

NYH1
07-15-17, 10:20
Yeah it's a real mess. Like I said earlier, the three cronies that ran NYS in 2013, cuomo, state senate majority leader dean skelos....in federal prison and state assembly speaker sheldon silver....had his federal conviction over turned this week but likely to be convicted again. Both scum bags on corruption. Used the "message of necessity" illegally. Still, nobody wants to do anything about it.

I was really hope Obama would've gave cuomo some type of job to get him out of NYS. He didn't, then after he passed the UNsafe act, nobody wanted anything to do with him. Not even billery. I think even the dems thought it was a bridge to far, if that's possible. So as long as he takes care of NYC....he's got a job. :(

NYH1.

FishTaco
07-15-17, 14:59
I was a member back in the time, about 15-20 years ago, when the NRA concentrated on gun politics exclusively and LaPierre was coherent.

Now that they've gone off the rails into a convulsive, paranoid grand unification theory of dogma and BS, I'm out.

JusticeM4
07-18-17, 11:22
Post of the day in a thread that will not go away... This one was spot on.

I had to live in the "thou shall NOT issue" state of HAWAII for a while, and can tell that you that locally there is NOTHING that the NRA can do. Period. They must focus on the long game which is the SCOTUS and the balance of the U.S. Senate and Congress. I can't speak for NY, NJ, MA, and CA... But I imagine the problem is the same as in HI.

The reason the NRA is powerless at the blue state level is because the local population keeps RE-ELECTING the SAME socialist/progressive politicians. Lather, rinse, repeat. The NRA isn't going to change the mind of fourth generation Democrat voters. These people are ALWAYS going to vote Democtat. The not so funny part is watching all of the same Democrat voters complaining about the continuously failed socialist programs (think Detiolet, Homelesslulu or New Orleans), but keep voting Democrat anyway. Their votes are bought and paid for with loads of free-chit and self-serving, bleeding heart, feel good B.S..

Solution for you people in NY-NJ-CA-MA-HI...MOVE!!! That's what I did.

As much as I'd like to live in those beautiful states, they are hell-holes for the 2A.

I visit NJ/NY quite often. The NRA will be hard pressed to change the local and state laws in these restricted states. Its really up to the residents/voters to make the change.

JoshNC
07-18-17, 22:51
Dropping one's NRA membership is a very poor idea. Who else will wield any fraction of the NRA's power/influence at the national level? Bloomturd and all of the other hoplophobic socialists are GUNNING for the NRA, hoping to see its membership fractured. Do not play into their hands. Now is the time to double down.

Don't like the leadership or direction of the NRA? Do something about it - as a member. Don't like the firearm laws in your home state? Join your local grass roots gun rights organization and get active. Pressure the NRA through those groups to help you win the fight in your state. Or...move to a greener pasture that isn't run by socialists who are continuously elected by moronic sheeple.

Every fight is not worth fighting. The NRA (all of us) must be smart, tactically approach any court challenges. Merely getting to the SCOTUS is not a win. Only a favorable SCOTUS ruling is a win. It's a very big gamble to take cases such as the unSAFE Act, CA bans, etc to court. A loss will deal a devastating blow to the 2A - on a national level, which would open the floodgates for Bloomturd et al to push for more and more restriction in "every town".

This is a long game and it requires strategy.

JoshNC
07-18-17, 22:57
As much as I'd like to live in those beautiful states, they are hell-holes for the 2A.

I visit NJ/NY quite often. The NRA will be hard pressed to change the local and state laws in these restricted states. Its really up to the residents/voters to make the change.

Amen. One year in NorCal was enough for me. Glad to be back in The South.

contax_shooter
08-05-17, 12:34
I live in a state and area where I rather remain discreet with firearms. I get at least one letter in the mail per week with enormous NRA logos plastered all over the envelope, most of the time it's some promotional mail. They all ask for more money.

Finally being fed up with all the letters sent to my home, I called the NRA regarding my membership and to stop receiving ALL mail to my home. Following the completion of the opt-out mailing process, the representative proceeds to ask for a $45 donation. I give him a rant about how and where all these money is actually going towards, he follows up with "well can you at least donate $35?" Another rant ensues and the donation request decreased to $25. I almost lost my temper.

BuzzinSATX
08-05-17, 12:54
I did the same thing regarding the mailings. When they asked me for a donation, I told them I'd donate if I went 90 days without seeing anything from them in the mail. This was a few years ago. The mailings went down significantly, and so I added NRA ILA to my annual donations.

Seemed to work for me...YMMV

Singlestack Wonder
08-05-17, 12:55
No, not irritated...

Without the NRA, you wouldn't have any firearms now...

TXBK
08-05-17, 12:58
(https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?197907-I-am-seriously-considering-not-renewing-my-NRA-membership)

Hmac
08-05-17, 13:19
I live in a state and area where I rather remain discreet with firearms. I get at least one letter in the mail per week with enormous NRA logos plastered all over the envelope, most of the time it's some promotional mail. They all ask for more money.

Finally being fed up with all the letters sent to my home, I called the NRA regarding my membership and to stop receiving ALL mail to my home. Following the completion of the opt-out mailing process, the representative proceeds to ask for a $45 donation. I give him a rant about how and where all these money is actually going towards, he follows up with "well can you at least donate $35?" Another rant ensues and the donation request decreased to $25. I almost lost my temper.
Yes, they are persistent marketeers. No, they don't necessarily respect your desire to leave their quite aggressive spam/junk mail campaign (in my experience). I finally gave up my membership and just donate periodically to the ILA.

T2C
08-05-17, 14:02
The NRA has made some decisions in the past few years that I am not happy with, but they are the biggest dog in the fight for our firearm rights.

HKGuns
08-05-17, 14:05
No, not irritated...

Without the NRA, you wouldn't have any firearms now...

^^This^^

SteyrAUG
08-05-17, 14:29

Tell them you just saved them lots of money but halting wasted solicitations to your home.

I've been on the Do Not Solicit list for 10 years and the only thing I ever get in the mail is the Rifleman and a recommended voting list come election time. I also doubt your postal carrier is putting out that you are a NRA member, people get far more interesting things in the mail.

JoshNC
09-17-17, 10:51
I just noticed this on the NRA ILA website.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170907/california-lawsuit-filed-against-recently-enacted-assault-weapon-regulations

I wonder what the naysayers who previously stated that the NRA does nothing to fight anti-2a legislation in states such as CA, etc.