PDA

View Full Version : Bought my M4 Today

rat31465
10-02-08, 15:20
After spending the last month researching and contemplating various rifles...I walked into my local gunshop today and bought a new LMT.
It was actually my intent to order a Stag Arms model 2T... because I wanted the Picatinny rail and the price was in my budget. But the comparison chart in this forum helped me decide to spend the $200 extra and go with the LMT and just save a little while longer to add the rail and other accesories I want.
Thanks for the info guys.
I look forward to more discussions in the near future.

A_shizzle
10-02-08, 16:15
Excellent choice and congrats on your new rifle! Im sure youll be very pleased. Be sure to give us a range report!

LIL-COMMANDO
10-02-08, 16:43
Great choice and thinking!!:D

It does not pay to be a tight-wad:eek::eek:

rat31465
10-10-08, 22:59
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll91/rat31465/100_0650.jpg

My new LMT with a cheap Red Dot 42mm.
Glock 17 9mm
Blackhawk Serpa Paddle Holster
Buck 650 Nighthawk

Parabellum9x19mm
10-10-08, 23:58
your optic is too low. ARs need high sights.

enjoy the LMT, great rifles.

jhs1969
10-11-08, 00:30
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p427/jhs1969/100_1702_edited-1.jpg

Yep, love my LMT. Good choice.

POF.Ops
10-11-08, 01:02
Good choice, congrats!

dan5505
10-11-08, 01:06
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll91/rat31465/100_0650.jpg

My new LMT with a cheap Red Dot 42mm.
Glock 17 9mm
Blackhawk Serpa Paddle Holster
Buck 650 Nighthawk

I probably made your holster. Congrats on the new M4.

rat31465
10-11-08, 08:24
your optic is too low. ARs need high sights.

enjoy the LMT, great rifles.

Actually its my intention to install a fold down front sight as I want my optics to remain as low as possible. Streamlined for low drag and High Speed.:D
The optic is a Bass Pro Special (Cheapie) @ $59.99 I bought as a Temporary fix just to have something to play with 'til I can save enough to buy something better.
As for the Serpa....I love this holster. I have owned expensive retention holster in the past that don't draw as smoothly or ride as close to the body as this rig does.

austinN4
10-11-08, 09:12
........I want my optics to remain as low as possible. Streamlined for low drag and High Speed.
You planning on shooting in a wind tunnel? I can't be sure by the photo, but it appears the center of that optic is below the sight line of your BUIS. How do you even use it in front of the LMT fixed rear sight?

Parabellum9x19mm
10-11-08, 09:55
The optic is a Bass Pro Special (Cheapie) @ $59.99 I bought as a Temporary fix just to have something to play with 'til I can save enough to buy something better.

ditch it. you're better off with irons.

rat31465
10-11-08, 10:29
You planning on shooting in a wind tunnel? I can't be sure by the photo, but it appears the center of that optic is below the sight line of your BUIS. How do you even use it in front of the LMT fixed rear sight?

Yeah I put it on just to take a couple of pics but it isn't useable at the moment...until I get enough saved up for a flip up front sight and gas block.

I was born in the daytime but not yesterday......:p

Parabellum9x19mm
10-11-08, 11:03
flip up front sights are overrated.

if it ain't broke.....

if you want a low profile gas block its just better to buy an upper thats already set up that way.

just my $0.02

Jay Cunningham
10-11-08, 11:17
I think you would be best served by ditching that cheap optic. You have excellent iron sights on that carbine, and unless you plan on using a magnified optic I would not recommend a folding front sight.

rat31465
10-11-08, 14:26
This rifle isn't just a SHTF firearm...it will be doing double duty as a Varminter for brushy close up work inside 100 yards.

Low power Optics are non-negotiable for my intended purpose....due to vision problems as I have a Stigmatism in both eyes.
Thus the single focal plane offered with use of an Optical sight is a huge plus.

I agree that the Iron Sights as supplied are of excellent quality and it is my intention to keep high quality Irons on the Carbine and available for quick use. But when my budget will allow I will be outfitting it with higher quality optics...but for now the cheapie will allow me to shoot the rifle and gain some experience as I learn to use it better.

I identified a need for a rugged, dependable and virtually weather proof Firearm that was quick handling, compact and was gonna go bang when I needed it to. Remembering the Two-other AR's I have owned in the past..One a Colt lower with a Wilson built upper. The other a Frankengun...I decided that this little LMT middy would fill the bill quite nicely. And it has.

Thanks for the advice.

JBnTX
10-11-08, 14:38
...I walked into my local gunshop today and bought a new LMT....

Does LMT sell complete rifles?

All I've ever seen is what's on their website.
You buy the lowers/uppers you want and then
put them together.

Where can I find complete rifles?

RAM Engineer
10-11-08, 15:46
My local dealer has some complete LMT's for sale.

Rat,

that LMT is not a "middy", it is a carbine length gas system. Please explain to me how your "stigmatism" affects your ability to use non-magnified sights. Do you not wear corrective lenses? If not, how will your iron sights be any better? I have Astigmatism in both eyes and I have no problem using 1x/red-dot sights. Indeed, I am much faster with them than with iron sights.

JoshNC
10-11-08, 17:04
Yeah I put it on just to take a couple of pics but it isn't useable at the moment...until I get enough saved up for a flip up front sight and gas block.

I was born in the daytime but not yesterday......:p

Don't get a flip up gas block. Keep the LMT back up rear sight. Spend any money on an Aimpoint ML3 in LaRue mount, a LaRue railed fore end, Magpul Pmags, and LOTS of ammo.

NetJunkie
10-11-08, 17:07
I probably made your holster. Congrats on the new M4.

Cool! I love my Serpa holsters.

rat31465
10-12-08, 09:03
[QUOTE=RAM Engineer;231222]
"Please explain to me how your "stigmatism" affects your ability to use non-magnified sights. Do you not wear corrective lenses?"

I do wear corrective lenses but fortunantley not all the time yet.
Without my glasses and when I am shooting irons, I feel my eyes working to try and focus on different focal planes. This causes me alot of eye strain even after just a short time of shooting. Thats why I like the Red Dots and low power lenses. They have allowed me to shoot for extended periods without resorting to RX lenses without discomfort.

BTW...Just an added note. The Militay Peep with a good front post are alot easier to see and shoot accuratley than the old Buckhorn and gold beads. The eyes only trying to focus on the front sight and target don't work as hard.

Thanks for correcting me on the Middy/Carbine issue..as you are right. My LMT does have the carbine buffer/gas system.

Abraxas
10-12-08, 09:39
Does LMT sell complete rifles?

All I've ever seen is what's on their website.
You buy the lowers/uppers you want and then
put them together.

Where can I find complete rifles?

G&R has them complete.