PDA

View Full Version : CNN Blackmailing Reditor Responsible For Trump Meme

Big A
07-05-17, 14:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaciyCIdhb8&t=19s

TAZ
07-05-17, 14:52
Ahhhhh the stupid grown stronger with those guys by the second.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-05-17, 17:13
Wow. At the very least the WH needs to bounce the CNN reporters until they apoligize and state that they won't reveal his name. How much would this story be worth to Fox? Start a go fund me too.

I love how they say antisemetic and homophobic, when the bar for them would be pretty low.

After the JC play in NY, the beheading of Trump and all the other hatred out there for CNN to act like this is crazy. Either report who he is or don't. Don't hold it over him like that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-05-17, 17:16
Is CNN looking to do a parallel with Trump and the Morning JOE crew where trump supposedly said that he'd reveal some info if Joe and twit didn't go softer?

C-grunt
07-05-17, 18:03
Im hearing that the redditor is 15 years old too.

If that's true this is hilariously pathetic.

Averageman
07-05-17, 18:12
Imagine Don Lemon on the phone with your 15 year old Son. All bad ass and threatening....
Really needs to be someone to come in and clear the deck of these kinds of employees.
If it isn't fake news, it's now fake threats. I'm hoping there is an Attorney willing to go Pro Bono on this case.

Honu
07-05-17, 18:13
kid or not and the kid thing could be a right side trying to do something ? but then it will backfire the left will smear the right with lying and CNN will get away with it even more ?

either way over a meme :) yeah news site hahahahaahahaha OK sure in lefty land

Dienekes
07-05-17, 18:18
Electrons, Shipload of, package 1 of many: https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/bb45b682a7caed6e28a21b0ce09a6b594b33010daed96f568d54a080d1799186.gif

I should probably say something profound here but the thing speaks for itself.

Det-Sog
07-05-17, 18:43
It's great... Now EVERYONE is making BETTER videos...

https://youtu.be/zGmJ8_YBBzc

TMS951
07-05-17, 19:08
This is how the "weaponized autists of 4chan" get released, CNN must be that dumb if they thought this was going to go well for them.

Not to mention seems like a great base for this kids parents sueing the ever living shit out of CNN.

Either way, I'll be super excited to see CNN off air by the close of 2017. And people say Trump gets nothing done...

Grand58742
07-05-17, 19:47
This will not end well for CNN. And it's sure going to be funny while it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOTDbdJ94Q

Big A
07-05-17, 19:54
It's great... Now EVERYONE is making BETTER videos...

https://youtu.be/zGmJ8_YBBzc
I really hope Mark Ruffalo sees that one. It will probably send him into therapy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-05-17, 19:56
What other anonymous internet meme has been chased down like this?

Have lemons, make lemonade. Copyright it, sell the crap out of it,

Grand58742
07-05-17, 20:15
$

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEAusP3VwAALLXd.jpg

Honu
07-05-17, 20:40
Kinda thought we were going to see a ton more now hahahahahah

boltcatch
07-05-17, 21:12
It appears that whoever they dug up - if in fact they spoke with this person, and if they didn't invent them out of whole cloth - is not the creator of what Trump re-tweeted. CNN seems to have a hard time grasping the relationship between various video formats and gifs.

This is even better than the whole Pepe disaster.

Is it still blackmail if you're an incompetent and blackmail the wrong person?

Mr. Goodtimes
07-06-17, 00:10
I'm loving all the trump memes, seems at least once a day I find one so funny it damn near sends me into respiratory arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benito
07-06-17, 00:33

Moose-Knuckle
07-06-17, 05:34
The kids parents should lawyer up with some greedy famous firm.

Hope Trump catches wind of this and the FCC opens an investigation.

"Freedom of the press", they will decry.

Sam
07-06-17, 05:50
Now they said that the meme creator is not a teenager but an adult.

TXBK
07-06-17, 06:29
Sometimes, the internet truly improves quality of life.

MegademiC
07-06-17, 07:40

Well, they can hire who they want.
I really don't think being Jewish has anything to do with it, being terrible people is what it's about... or do you think all Jews are terrible people? Definitely a weird post, especially considering the source... or did I completely miss something, my apologies if I did. But it reads to me like the "OMG the Jews are taking over the world" type of post.

Benito
07-06-17, 08:02
Well, they can hire who they want.
I really don't think being Jewish has anything to do with it, being terrible people is what it's about... or do you think all Jews are terrible people? Definitely a weird post, especially considering the source... or did I completely miss something, my apologies if I did. But it reads to me like the "OMG the Jews are taking over the world" type of post.

And hire who they want they do. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, and I'm sure said members of tribe have loyalty to nothing other than the United States. Paper trumps genetic and ethnic loyalty, right?

This is the same network (and they are not alone) that pushes propaganda lies like "White Privilege", blames whites for "old boys clubs", conjures white racism for everything, yet here they are owned and operated top to bottom by an ethnic group that is only 2% of the general population.
Total coincidence.

jpmuscle
07-06-17, 08:13
Why are you being all fascist again???

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
07-06-17, 08:31
Goodbye, Benito.

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 08:41
Well his current stay didn't last long...

In other news, CNN is going to be on the losing side of The Great Meme War. What a bunch of morons.

Big A
07-06-17, 11:04
So now it is coming out that CNN may have threatened to doxx the wrong person.

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 11:16
Well they didn't actually doxx the guy

pinzgauer
07-06-17, 11:36
Just claimed they could and will if he has the audacity to exercise his 1st amendments rights of parody/expression/criticism

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 11:53
Just claimed they could and will if he has the audacity to exercise his 1st amendments rights of parody/expression/criticism

Of course. The claim above was they doxxed the wrong guy when they didn't actually doxx anyone. There is a big difference between saying they could and actually doing it and in order to prevent fake news I feel like we shouldn't add in things that are not true.

I can't seem to find if doxxing is actually illegal. It seems like it might be in some states but if it was done with publicly posted information like what was in this users reddit history I'm not sure that would be illegal. Making the threat on the other hand, that could be. I saw Assange tweet out some law from NY but that wouldn't be applicable in this case.

boltcatch
07-06-17, 11:58
Of course. The claim above was they doxxed the wrong guy when they didn't actually doxx anyone. There is a big difference between saying they could and actually doing it and in order to prevent fake news I feel like we shouldn't add in things that are not true.

I can't seem to find if doxxing is actually illegal. It seems like it might be in some states but if it was done with publicly posted information like what was in this users reddit history I'm not sure that would be illegal. Making the threat on the other hand, that could be. I saw Assange tweet out some law from NY but that wouldn't be applicable in this case.

That's the thing; they'd have been assholes, but probably fine on the legal front so long as they didn't out the wrong guy if they'd just gone and outed him.

But the threat is not only almost certainly unlawful - it's also aimed at a much wider audience. There is no credible way to publish that and claim it wasn't a threat to the guy, and also a warning to everyone else.

And everyone else is not taking very kindly to it.

pinzgauer
07-06-17, 11:59
Of course. The claim above was they doxxed the wrong guy when they didn't actually doxx anyone. There is a big difference between saying they could and actually doing it

Agreed, we should be accurate. So maybe CNN is just hypocritical and a bully, rather than a doxxer.

I'm all for Hollywood blackballing the guy, give him the full Kathy Griffin treatment.

If people doxxed KG, it was wrong as well.

Most doxxing ends up impacting innocent parties anyway, that's the real issue. (Spike Lee, etc)

Big A
07-06-17, 12:14

You're right. I edited my post.

chuckman
07-06-17, 13:34
Not trolling, serious question. I am old(ish) and a tech-tard. What is "doxx"?

Honu
07-06-17, 13:54
Not trolling, serious question. I am old(ish) and a tech-tard. What is "doxx"?

to reveal all his info in hopes the trolls and lovers of the left go after the guy and picket his house harass him etc..
so to reveal with bad intentions :)

name
address
phone etc.....

chuckman
07-06-17, 14:05
to reveal all his info in hopes the trolls and lovers of the left go after the guy and picket his house harass him etc..
so to reveal with bad intentions :)

name
address
phone etc.....

Thanks. :)

TAZ
07-06-17, 14:07
I could give a rats ass if they doxx (WTF that means) or not. The discussion here isn't about whether they got the right guy or the right term. ITS THAT THEY THREATENED SOMEONE FOR EXERCISING THEIR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS.

They are pieces of crap that need to be flushed from society as quickly as legally feasible.

Honu
07-06-17, 14:20
ditto :)

and over a meme !!!! is even more pathetic for CNN!

I mean it really is like stealing candy from a baby then beating up the baby and saying look how tough I am !!!!!!!

I could give a rats ass if they doxx (WTF that means) or not. The discussion here isn't about whether they got the right guy or the right term. ITS THAT THEY THREATENED SOMEONE FOR EXERCISING THEIR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS.

They are pieces of crap that need to be flushed from society as quickly as legally feasible.

Averageman
07-06-17, 14:40

You mean the First Amendment thing that makes them Rich, pays for dinners at the best of Manhatten restaurants and allows them to donate to their Ivy League Alma Matter?
Wait, wait, wait, the unwashed serfs of the fly over States want this First Amendment thing also?
Hmm how quaint...

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 14:50
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png

SeriousStudent
07-06-17, 15:04

You have no idea how many times I have had to explain exactly that concept via PM's.

I'm going to save that xkcd cartoon just to save me a lot of typing. Although lately, I've just been using cut and paste.

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 15:10
You have no idea how many times I have had to explain exactly that concept via PM's.

I'm going to save that xkcd cartoon just to save me a lot of typing. Although lately, I've just been using cut and paste.

It is by far the best explanation of something that gets constantly distorted by both sides of the political spectrum. I can only imagine as a moderator how often people need those reminders.

Honu
07-06-17, 15:37
unless you are on the left they feel it is a violation to be banned or not allowed in and they sue and tend to win with left leaning judges

so its starting to not be so free anymore

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 15:56
unless you are on the left they feel it is a violation to be banned or not allowed in and they sue and tend to win with left leaning judges

so its starting to not be so free anymore

That's a rather large claim without much to backup a violation of the first amendment

TAZ
07-06-17, 16:42

I tend to agree with this for the most part. However, I'm willing to make an exception fir cases of bullying. If people are not allowed to bully one another (be that ftf or cyber) without consequences then why should CNN be allowed to bully and intimidate folks.

I support the rights of all so long as they are not violent or threatening folks. The KKK and ANTIFA have a right to peacefully express their opinions. So do conservatives. The meme was clearly satire. CNN got all butt hurt and decided to try and intimidate folks with whom they disagree. Kind of like the ANTIFA intimidating folks they disagree with. Different tool set for certain, but same goal.

Maybe they aren't violating the 1A per se. Maybe they are cyber bullying someone or making terrorist threats.

I'd laugh my ass off if the meme creator was a minor and pressed charges for cyber bullying.

Big A
07-06-17, 18:55
Yes. A social media service shutting down your account for violation of their terms and conditions that you agreed to is not a violation of your 1st Amendment rights.

However a large and powerful multinational media conglomerate threatening to publicly out a person and let whatever happens, happen, to coerce an apology and garner their silence is not that far from a tyrannical government locking up people for speaking against them.

CNN did something Stalin would approve of (of which I am sure they are proud).

Also:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/55ef55d25def87b70efef02457f88ec2.jpg

Dienekes
07-06-17, 19:21
Found this in my travels--tacky, but...so what.

The CNN Two-Step is a simple dance. Step One: Put your foot in your mouth. Step Two: Shoot yourself in the foot. The results are bloody but hilarious.

skywalkrNCSU
07-06-17, 20:31
Yes. A social media service shutting down your account for violation of their terms and conditions that you agreed to is not a violation of your 1st Amendment rights.

However a large and powerful multinational media conglomerate threatening to publicly out a person and let whatever happens, happen, to coerce an apology and garner their silence is not that far from a tyrannical government locking up people for speaking against them.

CNN did something Stalin would approve of (of which I am sure they are proud).

Also:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/55ef55d25def87b70efef02457f88ec2.jpg

I still don't see how it is a violation of his first amendment rights. He could still say whatever he wanted without the government punishing him. Also, if he left a trail on his public social media that showed who he was why would it be a problem if someone revealed it?

Making threats is different and if that is in fact illegal CNN should be punished. It still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the first amendment.

MegademiC
07-06-17, 20:42
I still don't see how it is a violation of his first amendment rights. He could still say whatever he wanted without the government punishing him. Also, if he left a trail on his public social media that showed who he was why would it be a problem if someone revealed it?

Making threats is different and if that is in fact illegal CNN should be punished. It still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the first amendment.

Agreed, not a rights issue. Possibly inciting violence, or something, but not 1a.

glocktogo
07-06-17, 20:56
I just find it ironic that poor little CNN is afraid that Trump's blatantly obvious joke would incite violence against them, so they decided the best course of action would be to threaten to doxx the meme creator, which would definitely expose him to potential violence. Yep, that's some Michelin Three Star quality irony right there! LOL

foxtrotx1
07-07-17, 03:52
CNN messed up bad.

But holy cow is that redditor a racist scum bag. Anyone else read his post history?

sgtrock82
07-07-17, 05:41
CNN messed up bad.

But holy cow is that redditor a racist scum bag. Anyone else read his post history?

And thus CNN is successful.

Grand58742
07-07-17, 07:37
CNN took on the internet. To paraphrase a quote from the Great Communicator, "They counted on the internet to be passive, they counted wrong."

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-07-17, 09:14

You are right, it is a lot worse. Let's not even get into journalistic ethics and how they protect their anonymous sources. Let's put aside that a meme based on the WWF being a trigger for inciting violence against the press is laughable. CNN told this guy change the way to think or we will open you to personal violence. That the guy had anti-semetic or racist posts in not an issue, anything that pretty much any white guy has written could be said to be that way- plus CNN didn't research the guy based on those posts, just on the posts that CNN found offensive to them.

And yes I said WWF. F the pandas.

TAZ
07-07-17, 11:02
Agreed, not a rights issue. Possibly inciting violence, or something, but not 1a.

Legally, it's not a rights issue. However, technically it is a rights issue. Intimidation is a tactic used to suppress behavior. For example. Locking up or executing a POS for criminal behavior served as both direct punishment for said activity and as a deterrent against potential future activity. Aka we are intimidating criminals into suppressing their FUBAR urges. Communists used intimidation tactics to suppress opposition cause nobody wanted to be the next dead guy. ANTIFA use intimidation tactics to suppress opposing view points from being expressed. Nobody wants to be the next guy catching a bike lock with their face. No city wants to be putting out fires. None of these are legally 1A issues, yet they still result in intimidating folks from exercising their 1A rights.

Don't wrap yourself around an axle trying to redefine the word is in defense of a POS bully using their nation wide bully pulpit to intimidate folks. CNN could have sent the suspected meme-terrorist a private cease and desist, but they didn't. They chose a public venue to threaten someone for expressing their opinions. Why do you suppose that is??

_Stormin_
07-08-17, 03:22
CNN could have sent the suspected meme-terrorist a private cease and desist, but they didn't. They chose a public venue to threaten someone for expressing their opinions. Why do you suppose that is??
Because their private cease and desist would probably have been met with a public F and U..

Oddly enough, this isn't a rights issue, but it is a blackmail one. Blackmail is still illegal in Georgia (CNN HQ) under the Georgia Criminal Code, Section 16 Chapter 8 Article 1, but you need a judge who views speech as one's personal property:

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by extortion when he unlawfully obtains property of or from another person by threatening to:
(3) Disseminate any information tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt, or ridicule or to impair his credit or business repute;
(b) In a prosecution under this Code section, the crime shall be considered as having been committed in the county in which the threat was made or received or in the county in which the property was unlawfully obtained.
However, the same section provides an "out" for CNN

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution based on paragraph (2), (3), (4), or (6) of subsection (a) of this Code section that the property obtained by threat of accusation, exposure, legal action, or other invocation of official action was honestly claimed as restitution or indemnification for harm done in the circumstance to which such accusation, exposure, legal action, or other official action relates or as compensation for property or lawful services.
They'll wave the "MUH FEELS WAS HURT" flag and state that the apology was demanded as proper restitution. Hell, I'm not an attorney licensed to practice law in the state of Georgia, but if I were the guy who created the meme, I'd probably make a phone call to one and see if they felt I had a case. Could probably find a friendly jury in that state (or get a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement and buy the personalized plate FVCKCNN for the new car).

Moose-Knuckle
07-08-17, 05:14
I just find it ironic that poor little CNN is afraid that Trump's blatantly obvious joke would incite violence against them, so they decided the best course of action would be to threaten to doxx the meme creator, which would definitely expose him to potential violence. Yep, that's some Michelin Three Star quality irony right there! LOL

The real irony of course is that CNN is owned by Time Warner which was a financial sponsor that publicly supported the New York City’s Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park program where they had a mock Trump assassination.

jpmuscle
07-08-17, 08:37
....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170708/e32e8f10605c0a35f7ce5b3b620bc5a1.jpg

Big A
07-08-17, 11:19
The real irony of course is that CNN is owned by Time Warner which was a financial sponsor that publicly supported the New York City’s Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park program where they had a mock Trump assassination.
Supposedly Redit is owned by Time Warner and they willingly gave the IP address of the poster to CNN and that's how they tracked him down.

At least that is the newest rumor flying around the web anyway.

skywalkrNCSU
07-08-17, 11:47
Supposedly Redit is owned by Time Warner and they willingly gave the IP address of the poster to CNN and that's how they tracked him down.

At least that is the newest rumor flying around the web anyway.

Unless there is any evidence of that I would seriously doubt it. It isn't that hard to track most people down who are diligent about keeping personal details out of their post history and most people don't expect someone big to be looking to find out who they are. If you can get to a first name, city and type of job with maybe some other details like school attended or anything of that nature finding someone is typically easy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-08-17, 22:57
Why didn't CNN go after the guy who made the actual meme that Trump rweeted that had audio? Maybe didn't have the post baggage?

Jellybean
07-08-17, 23:06

You are right, it is a lot worse. Let's not even get into journalistic ethics and how they protect their anonymous sources. Let's put aside that a meme based on the WWF being a trigger for inciting violence against the press is laughable. CNN told this guy change the way to think or we will open you to personal violence. That the guy had anti-semetic or racist posts in not an issue, anything that pretty much any white guy has written could be said to be that way- plus CNN didn't research the guy based on those posts, just on the posts that CNN found offensive to them.

And yes I said WWF. F the pandas.

Legally, it's not a rights issue. However, technically it is a rights issue. Intimidation is a tactic used to suppress behavior. For example. Locking up or executing a POS for criminal behavior served as both direct punishment for said activity and as a deterrent against potential future activity. Aka we are intimidating criminals into suppressing their FUBAR urges. Communists used intimidation tactics to suppress opposition cause nobody wanted to be the next dead guy. ANTIFA use intimidation tactics to suppress opposing view points from being expressed. Nobody wants to be the next guy catching a bike lock with their face. No city wants to be putting out fires. None of these are legally 1A issues, yet they still result in intimidating folks from exercising their 1A rights.

Don't wrap yourself around an axle trying to redefine the word is in defense of a POS bully using their nation wide bully pulpit to intimidate folks. CNN could have sent the suspected meme-terrorist a private cease and desist, but they didn't. They chose a public venue to threaten someone for expressing their opinions. Why do you suppose that is??

https://media.giphy.com/media/b9aScKLxdv0Y0/giphy.gif

It's ALL about intimidation and fear tactics- per the current G20 shenanigans, the object is to get people to become so afraid of personal or public backlash that they begin to self-censor and second-guess saying or doing things. The current state of affairs per the 1st amendment is hilariously ironic in the wake of all the anti-bullying campaigning the other side has spent so much time promoting...

Big A
07-09-17, 19:13
Lolzhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/cff4b981e2bde47c1b095fe517d3cf53.jpg

SeriousStudent
07-09-17, 19:43
We sooooo need a "Like" button on this website.

jpmuscle
07-09-17, 19:48
No sure if these ate reposts or not. There are soooo many. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/2f8b6b8fb8bcfd6c0f6088a743bc5122.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/1922083bdb38289f6461b34a3e5e9370.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/8f02263489bbf8f9354f202021f3699c.jpg

Big A
07-10-17, 08:04

glocktogo
07-10-17, 11:17
https://media.giphy.com/media/b9aScKLxdv0Y0/giphy.gif

It's ALL about intimidation and fear tactics- per the current G20 shenanigans, the object is to get people to become so afraid of personal or public backlash that they begin to self-censor and second-guess saying or doing things. The current state of affairs per the 1st amendment is hilariously ironic in the wake of all the anti-bullying campaigning the other side has spent so much time promoting...

It's the same for disrupting GOP Town Halls. Now some of the legislators are foregoing TH's and responding to constituents in Q&A format and "office hours", which denies the disruptors a public format. I also LOVE the new WH tactic of holding press meetings off camera, which denies people like Jim Acosta a format to disrupt the press conferences. Obviously the leftists are fit to be tied and claiming it's a violation of the 1st Amendment, but it's absolutely not and it's PRICELESS. :D

punkey71
07-10-17, 11:29
https://vid.me/JHjbH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-grunt
07-11-17, 16:44
....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170708/e32e8f10605c0a35f7ce5b3b620bc5a1.jpg

Funny. Thats my unit and I know that guy.

Honu
07-11-17, 19:10
Funny. Thats my unit and I know that guy.

I just want the back story to that image :) ahahahhaha

Moose-Knuckle
07-14-17, 04:53
Of the numerous new memes in the wake of CNN's threat this is by far my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAD-yNB74k

Joelski
07-14-17, 05:57
Priceless!!!

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-14-17, 08:01
The chemicals in the water turn the frogs gay...

MegademiC
07-14-17, 21:31
Saw this on vacation, it's a sign:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyl21ip4miwptfx/Photo%20Jun%2029%2C%203%2019%2001%20PM.jpg?raw=1

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-15-17, 00:30
Saw this on vacation, it's a sign:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyl21ip4miwptfx/Photo%20Jun%2029%2C%203%2019%2001%20PM.jpg?raw=1

China?

Det-Sog
07-15-17, 00:40
Of the numerous new memes in the wake of CNN's threat this is by far my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAD-yNB74k

Best laugh I've had in WEEKS! Thanks!

MegademiC
07-15-17, 07:02
China?

Haha, Puerto Rico. I have no derisire to go to China.

Grand58742
07-15-17, 07:41
lol Love the Hillary cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKdIz9gP1uI

Outlander Systems
07-15-17, 07:58
That...

...WAS GLORIOUS!!!!!

lol Love the Hillary cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKdIz9gP1uI

SeriousStudent
07-15-17, 09:25
It the words of Larry the Cable Guy: "That right there is funny, I don't care who you are."